SB5 or SB5+??- Mtbr.com

Thread: SB5 or SB5+??

mtbr member

SB5 or SB5+??

I recently rode a 2016 SB5c and loved it! I really like the new version from what I've seen online and was pretty dead set on ordering one ASAP. Now, however, I've been looking pretty hard at the specs of the 5+. It's only 1lb heavier for Turq X01 builds. My problem is that I have no option to demo.

My trails are up and down, 1000ft up total on a normal day, lots of rock garden and rooty sections, no real prolonged climbs or descents, 3 ft max drops and no jumps. I'm not trying to set strava records, just have fun and keep up with my buddies.

Are there any obvious reasons to lean one way or the other that I may not be considering? I'm 5'10" 170lb btw. I haven't ridden a + FS bike before, but have done 29er and like the 27.5 platform more. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I think you should first try to demo any plus size bike to see how you like it, this seems a decision 27.5+ vs 27.5 than anything else

mtbr member
    Short and sweet. Plus bikes have more traction and a plush ride as the tire is a shock absorber as well as the shock. Trade off....not as quick or playful as a 2.4 tire. Lots of guys are going to plus size tires but taking a leap of faith is not something to do with plus tires.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    I think you should first try to demo any plus size bike to see how you like it, this seems a decision 27.5+ vs 27.5 than anything else
    I agree. The biggest difference is between plus and non-plus. I have been looking at the Ibis Mojo 3 for awhile and now Yeti introduces the SB5+. Both work with tires from 2.3 to 2.8 (Yeti up to 3) so there is a good range for anyone except the ultra lean XC folks or fat bike guys. Sigh. The Ibis/Yeti thing has extended my decision making process another six months .

mtbr member
    I personally don't like the squishy feel you get from running the lower pressures in the + size tires. If you spend any time at all on the forums, a TON (not all) of people complain about how weak the sidewalls are being made on the + size tires to keep the weight down. Consequently, many people have been having sidewalls get torn or blown out, especially in rockier terrain.

The one bonus though with the SB5+ bike is if you don't end up liking the platform, you can always throw 2.3-2.4 tires on the bike instead and you'll have something pretty close to the standard SB5. I personally don't see how a + bike is going to help you "keep up with your buddies" since the common theme I hear from + size bike riders is they definitely climb slower. Living in SoCal, I very rarely have traction issues with my 2.4 Ardent so going + just equals more weight and squishy tires for me.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Well if you can run 29'er wheels with the 5+ and it's not a complete frankenbike reject then I think you'd be very happy with the 5+ and considering how you describe your typical ride I think this bike will check all the boxes for you. Being able to pick your weapon with just a wheel swap.

I demoed a Mojo3+ and I was underwhelmed to say the least but I'll waste no time whatsoever to demo the Yeti version as I'm positive it'll be the best plus bike made.

I also happen to think the 5cv1 is the best bike on the planet and it'll be slightly improved with a few little v2 tweaks. You will no doubt be happy with the 5c but I have a sneaky suspicion the 5+ will be godly and covert quite a few riders looking for that extra bit of Cush and push.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Devinci Spartan
    20' Enduro 29
    20' Epic HT

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism
    I just spent the last week chasing down a mojo 3 with 2.8 tires in whistler and it pretty much convinced me plus is good. Granted, I was on a 26 but having riding wih his guy for years, I could tell that the plus really worked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I personally don't like the squishy feel you get from running the lower pressures in the + size tires. If you spend any time at all on the forums, a TON (not all) of people complain about how weak the sidewalls are being made on the + size tires to keep the weight down. Consequently, many people have been having sidewalls get torn or blown out, especially in rockier terrain.

The one bonus though with the SB5+ bike is if you don't end up liking the platform, you can always throw 2.3-2.4 tires on the bike instead and you'll have something pretty close to the standard SB5. I personally don't see how a + bike is going to help you "keep up with your buddies" since the common theme I hear from + size bike riders is they definitely climb slower. Living in SoCal, I very rarely have traction issues with my 2.4 Ardent so going + just equals more weight and squishy tires for me.
    That's funny because I have been hammering the **** out of my rekons and have yet to slice one. If you run the correct pressure and have wide rims you won't have the bouncy feel you are referring to as well. Most of the complaints from plus come from incorrect set up. Same with climbing. The plus motors up climbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    That's funny because I have been hammering the **** out of my rekons and have yet to slice one. If you run the correct pressure and have wide rims you won't have the bouncy feel you are referring to as well. Most of the complaints from plus come from incorrect set up. Same with climbing. The plus motors up climbs.
    What size rims are you using with the Rekons?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    Settle down there buddy....all I did was share information that I have read about *repeatedly* on the + bike forums regarding the tires. I expect plenty of folks will be quick to check out the new Maxis HRII and Minion options to try and alleviate the issue (which apparently isn't an issue for you....so rock on!!)
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Settle down there buddy....all I did was share information that I have read about *repeatedly* on the + bike forums regarding the tires. I expect plenty of folks will be quick to check out the new Maxis HRII and Minion options to try and alleviate the issue (which apparently isn't an issue for you....so rock on!!)
    I wasn't trying to say that to flame you or anything. there are just a lot of plus complainers out there and listening to what they say makes me assume that they have never even ridden one

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinciSean View Post
    What size rims are you using with the Rekons?
    I'm running the 40mm internal Reynolds carbons

Members who have read this thread: 2