Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

SB130 and SB150 issues?

Are the two new bikes having some issues with play in the shock/fork?

I was reading something like that in one of the SB150 threads.

The SB130 was one of the bikes I was looking at before Outberbike this month.

Can anyone clarify if there is an issue going on?

mtbr member
    Based on this post, it sounds like there were some frames with Switch-Infinity issues & some Fox Float X2 front bushing problems.

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/sb150-re...l#post13840343

Does the yoke play into these issues? Not enough information yet.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Based on this post, it sounds like there were some frames with Switch-Infinity issues & some Fox Float X2 front bushing problems.

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/sb150-re...l#post13840343

Does the yoke play into these issues? Not enough information yet.
    I am surprised that more is not being made of this. This is a huge issue if it is widespread. 3800.00 for a frame that is flawed?

Its like everyone is keeping quiet. I think Yeti should be on this forum clearing this up and actively involved.

You want my hard earned money you better be 100% upfront about the solution and issue.

I really want to own this bike but i don't have the time or money to be sat around dealing with warranty issues.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    my bike purchase was going to be made after Outerbike in a few weeks.
    The SB's were on my short list.

So this is worrisome.

mtbr member
    Yeti doesn't sell enough bikes or have a budget like Specialized Giant Trek even Santa Cruz sells way more bikes. Ferraris spend time in the shop. That's how it is

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    Yeti doesn't sell enough bikes or have a budget like Specialized Giant Trek even Santa Cruz sells way more bikes. Ferraris spend time in the shop. That's how it is
    Hold on is that a joke, your comparing a 500k super car to a carbon formed mold with a shock.

Stop comparing Yeti to Ferrari. Yeti's are great bikes but Pivot, Ibis, Santa Cruz are just as good. So does that make them Lamborghini, McClaren, and Porsche.

Not everyone has 100's of thousands in the bank. Yes spending 8k on a bike is alot of money to me, as i have 1 income providing for a family of 4 in SoCal.

I love riding my bike and fit into my budget yearly, but asking a premium and shrugging the shoulders is not acceptable in my mind.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    First, I agree that giving Yeti a pass if they have a legitimate issue because they are smaller is not OK. They're charging a premium to just about everyone else, so it better be right. That said, none of my Yeti's have ever had an issue. I think if it was happening everywhere, people wouldn't keep it quiet.

Sounds like everyone with an issue purchased one of the first frames out. No matter how much testing you do before a launch, you'll always find issues when the number of units becomes significant. As long as it's fixable they address the problems promptly, it's hard to ask more from them. Buying one of the first bikes of a new model with significant changes pretty much makes you the guinea pig I think.

Hopefully, it all gets sorted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^^^^^
    That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard.

I too was entertaining the thought of picking up a frame of either the 130 or 150, but this has given me pause, and might make me turn my attention towards the Orbea Rallon.
    *2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom Build*
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Edit.
    Last edited by Streetdoctor; 10-09-2018 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    I am surprised that more is not being made of this. This is a huge issue if it is widespread. 3800.00 for a frame that is flawed?

Its like everyone is keeping quiet. ...
    A simple answer is that it's not as widespread of an issue... Another easy answer is that there aren't enough in the wild yet for it to be a widespread issue. Or how about there aren't enough forum users that ride these new bikes for it to be blasted all over here. Either way I don't see it as a problem as Yeti is a solid company and I trust they will do right by the owners.

No company is immune from issues. Pretty much every manufacturer has had issues of carbon breakage or linkage problems. This is one reason I have 2 mountain bikes. What matters to me is how the bike rides and if the company is going to treat the owners well. The fact that Yeti has upped their warranty to lifetime says a lot about their commitment.

If the potential of frame issues is a huge turn off, I'd suggest a steel or Ti hardtail its a safer bet. No one says you have to have a Yeti.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    When has Yeti not had some kind of problem with their bikes? I used to have a SB66 and we all know the issues with the chainstays and the lack of longevity of the Switch linkage. A mtb friend had a SB4.5 and had cracks form on his rear triangle. And isn't the SI link kind of finicky with maintenance? No bike brand is immune from problems, and I'd still buy one if the price was right since they perform really well and look awesome. I just hope that the warranty service matches the price tag considering the competition from other brands and the direct-to-consumer brands too.

mtbr member
    I'm saying they can't do the level of testing the big brands do. So you are the factory tester. Boutique cars are the same way. If you sell more units you have test more. MKBHD has a great video on this about Apple.

Yeti would probably make more money issuing a few parts or even new frames rather than spend months perhaps a year testing something until its bomb proof. They don't have the personal, they don't have the labs, they don't have the machines that do these sorts of tests unless they are in the factory in Vietnam. Either way a bushing issue is small as is a few erroneous errors in initial production as they have not learned the best way to build them or find the seconds so a few may go out the door.
    Last edited by 04 F2000SL; 10-10-2018 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks @Streetdoctor. Really hope everything gets sorted out ASAP.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    A simple answer is that it's not as widespread of an issue... Another easy answer is that there aren't enough in the wild yet for it to be a widespread issue. Or how about there aren't enough forum users that ride these new bikes for it to be blasted all over here. Either way I don't see it as a problem as Yeti is a solid company and I trust they will do right by the owners.

No company is immune from issues. Pretty much every manufacturer has had issues of carbon breakage or linkage problems. This is one reason I have 2 mountain bikes. What matters to me is how the bike rides and if the company is going to treat the owners well. The fact that Yeti has upped their warranty to lifetime says a lot about their commitment.

If the potential of frame issues is a huge turn off, I'd suggest a steel or Ti hardtail its a safer bet. No one says you have to have a Yeti.
    Yes a hardtail, comon man that's not what i was saying and you know it. Hard to write something negative about a Yeti on a Yeti forum i know.

I am looking at buying an SB150 and owned a 5.5 for a while. I have not had issues with the other 8 bikes i have owned in the last 2 years.

The only reason this was brought up was because in another thread the 3 guys that have SB150 frames all have the same issue.

It is a cause for concern, that's all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    edit.
    What happened?? I thought that was a pretty good, fair and rational post outlining what sounded like a pretty poor experience for someone buying a high end bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    What happened?? I thought that was a pretty good, fair and rational post outlining what sounded like a pretty poor experience for someone buying a high end bike.

My sentiments exactly. What happened Streetdoctor??
    *2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom Build*
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My intention of starting this thread was to stay informed of any issues with these two new bikes, not trash yeti. It is for people like myself who are trying to decide on a new bike.
    So if we can let's get back on topic.

So far is it just the sb150 with reports or is there any reports of these issues with the 130.

If I decide on the yeti after outerbike I will wait till after the new year to build it up just in case there are any revisions to the bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    It's not worth it.
    Last edited by Streetdoctor; 10-09-2018 at 07:43 PM.

jvo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks @Streetdoctor. Really hope everything gets sorted out ASAP.
    Thanks Streetdoctor. I was going to pull the trigger on both - see what happens with time. I do know that there are others with similar prob. - rubbing/flex issues. Hopefully they figure it out and get it resolved quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Edit.
    That's unfortunate..... People deserve to know your story and it doesn't sound like Yeti is going to help you anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    That's unfortunate..... People deserve to know your story and it doesn't sound like Yeti is going to help you anyway.
    Yep...I'd like to hear. I find myself drawn to the SB130...but I'm also leery of putting down that amount of $$$$ as issues seem to be popping up.

At this point, I think I'll wait until spring to decide. I'll just ride my fat bike in the winter and let others be beta testers. As more are purchased and ridden, hopefully we'll see that any issue is being resolved by Yeti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Yep...I'd like to hear. I find myself drawn to the SB130...but I'm also leery of putting down that amount of $$$$ as issues seem to be popping up.

At this point, I think I'll wait until spring to decide. I'll just ride my fat bike in the winter and let others be beta testers. As more are purchased and ridden, hopefully we'll see that any issue is being resolved by Yeti.
    I don't believe there are any known issues yet with the 130? Mine is perfect at least, so far.
    Yeti SB130 Turq X0

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Yep, I was going to make a decision after Outerbike. Looking at the SB130/150, Offering and Rallon.

I was leaning towards the Yeti and was planing to start a build in November. If I do go with yeti, for that amount of money, I will just hold off a few months until I know this is all going to get worked out (which I am sure it will, just don't want to be a "beta tester" lol)

mtbr member
    I agree.. Any issues with the SB130.??. Mines been fine so far. Just having a few issues with the rear shock and me just being fat.. but not with the bike.

BTW I'd really like to see what StreetDoctor said... anyone care to quote?

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerman View Post
    I don't believe there are any known issues yet with the 130? Mine is perfect at least, so far.
    2019 Yeti SB130
    2018 YT Jeffsy 27.5 AL
    2018 Cervelo R2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryano4u View Post
    I agree.. Any issues with the SB130.??. Mines been fine so far. Just having a few issues with the rear shock and me just being fat.. but not with the bike.
    Yes, my DPX2 needed some spacers but I can't expect a perfect suspension tune right out of the box. Plus it's fun messing with suspension.
    Yeti SB130 Turq X0

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's not worth it.
    That's unfortunate as someone else said it seemed like a very rational post and sharing the details of your situation. No company or product is perfect, and sharing bad experiences shouldn't be dismissed just because you like the company.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hope they clear up these issues, the boutique/small brand argument is nonsense.

I wonder if the bearings will last any longer on the new bikes, I was lucky to get a season out of my SB6 bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    As a buyer interested in the SB130 this thread is important. I am very interested not only with what issues exist, but how Yeti deals with it. The shop I will be getting a demo bike from (and presumably buying the bike from) is 2 hours away from where I live. If I have to take the bike back to them for warranty issues instead of dealing with Yeti directly, this is going to be problematic.

I don't expect these bikes not to have problems. I just want to know that Yeti stands behind their product and makes the process of getting issues resolved as pain-free as possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I am going to agree with the others, I would have liked to have seen Streetdoctor's post. As someone who just plunked down a ton of cash for a 130 I would really like to know potential issues and how Yeti is or isn't standing behind it's product.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newm View Post
    I am going to agree with the others, I would have liked to have seen Streetdoctor's post. As someone who just plunked down a ton of cash for a 130 I would really like to know potential issues and how Yeti is or isn't standing behind it's product.
    I believe his issue was with the shock mount on his 150. Different linkage than 130.
    Yeti SB130 Turq X0

mtbr member
    The issues I have had with my SB150:

1. Front shock bushings have lateral play- If you grab your shock it will audibly knock from side to side at the front mount. I know 4 people that have had this issue and Yeti will give you new bushings but they're still telling people "We have never heard of that problem". A Yeti employee is the one who actually even informed me about it, I thought the knock I was hearing were my cables.

2. An issue with the bushings in the SI being out of spec causing the rear end to have excessive flex. The SI was replaced under warranty. I'm not sure yet if this fixed the problem, I'm still waiting on Fox to send me back my X2 so I can ride. Initially I was getting back tire rub on both sides of the swingarm with a 2.3 Aggressor.

3. Not necessarily a Yeti issue but my Fox X2 took a crap after 22 days of riding. Cavitation and no damping properties. Yeti wouldn't help me so I sent it back to Fox for warranty work.

mtbr member
    Hmm... Sounds like they're all Fox related issues.

mtbr member
    Hmm... Sounds like they're all Fox related issues.
    Potentially, but if Yeti collaborates with Fox for the SI, and specs Fox parts on Yeti bikes then it becomes their problem. I'm not sure the SI was the real issue since even the magazine reviews talk about the flexy rear end. I haven't gotten a chance to test it though. Another week or two hopefully. Start a new thread on Yeti customer service and I can post more about how much Yeti customer service blows. I've gotten quite a few messages about it since this thread relating to the new bikes specifically from people regarding their experiences. Mostly with the 100 since the 130 and 150 aren't really out there yet. I don't understand the cult following. Pretty much every new bike on the market is awesome and blows anything from a year or two ago out of the water, customer service is what sets a company apart. Unfortunately that is not Yeti's mindset.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Specialized has the best customer service I've ever seen. I email an issue photos and SN and they respond that they are sending new parts etc. Had a fairly expensive part and a new clothing item sent no problem. I'm feeling stupid to consider another brand. Watching follow cam Friday and the great spec choices on the yeti plus the straightish seat tube have me wanting a 130. I ride a ton and if it has problems it's going to really suck.

mtbr member
    Potentially, but if Yeti collaborates with Fox for the SI, and specs Fox parts on Yeti bikes then it becomes their problem.
    Pretty much every new bike on the market is awesome and blows anything from a year or two ago out of the water, customer service is what sets a company apart.
    Agreed on these points. The support (and by extension the people & ethics behind that) are a huge factor in what I look for in a bike.

mtbr member
    What's important is that you can call Yeti and get a real person immediately. When you tell them of your issue what do they say? Usually this type of issue is a shop related problem and not so much direct to brand type of fix. If your yeti dealer is backcountry or Jenson I wonder how things are handled as it's all thousands of miles away. Main reason for sticking with Specialized and Trek is that the shop is just a short drive away.

Example: I bought a bike with NX Eagle and the derailleur jockey dropped the chain and it bent it all to hell. They call SRAM and have a new one next day.

mtbr member
    What's important is that you can call Yeti and get a real person immediately. When you tell them of your issue what do they say? Usually this type of issue is a shop related problem and not so much direct to brand type of fix. If your yeti dealer is backcountry or Jenson I wonder how things are handled as it's all thousands of miles away. Main reason for sticking with Specialized and Trek is that the shop is just a short drive away.

Example: I bought a bike with NX Eagle and the derailleur jockey dropped the chain and it bent it all to hell. They call SRAM and have a new one next day.

What bike company can you call and not get a real person on the phone?

What about when you physically go to a bike company and show them lateral bushing play in a shock mount and they try and tell you that's normal? Then you laugh at them and touch the nearest two display bikes and they don't have that play (along with every other FS bike you've ridden over the last decade. What kind of industry "pro" thinks that's normal? Terrifying and probably why my X2 blew up) Then they change their mind and hand you new bushings. Then a friend of yours calls the same company and talks to the same two guys a few days later and they say that they've never heard of that problem.

Call them up and tell them your front shock mount has lateral play on your new SB150. I bet odds are they say they have never heard of that problem. The irony is it was a Yeti employee that pointed it out to me and said it was an issue with the initial shipment of bikes.

My SB95c came from competitive cyclist. Yeti is literally 20 minutes from my house. I was told I had to send the frame to Utah for them to inspect it to consider a warranty. That took 3 months. Frame to Utah, replacement from Colorado to Utah back to Colorado. Very green. Makes lots of sense. I figured I'd give them another chance with my 150 and I bought it locally this time. This was 3 years ago, they have a new warranty policy now, I ASSumed things might have changed.

Most local shop mechanics aren't inclined to trouble shoot a problem (like a flexy rear end) enough to realize the SI needs to be replaced. They have a long ticket list of bikes to work on across a half a dozen brands or more. It might take 3 months for your local shop to replace the SI unit in this situation after back and forth emails that Yeti seems to barely respond to. I ride about 100 miles a week and do about a dozen races a season. I don't have time for that. Especially not when purchasing a $9,000 bike. I generally try to avoid the LBS unless I personally know the mechanic.

In your derailleur example they could have taken my broken X2 and had Fox ship me a replacement immediately. Yeti has that clout, the LBS doesn't. Considering the bike was basically new and all the issues I've had with the SI and the bushings I figured that was reasonable and actually asked for it. I was told that can't happen and I have to deal with the warranty myself or have the shop do it. If you take your fox into a LBS for warranty work they will fill out the same form you can online. I just eliminated the middle man and did it myself so I know it would get handled correctly and shipped out in a timely manner. Saves me a back and forth drive to the shop as well but now I'm without the bike for two weeks.

The third strike is they over tensioned my back wheel by about 70kgf when measured on a tensionmeter compared to manufacturers max spoke tension and blamed some of the flex on my wheel. Obviously they know there is a flex issue. So now if my aftermarket wheels crack at the nipple and I send them in for warranty it will be denied due to exceeding max spoke tension. Should I have to take them to a bike shop and pay to have them loosened up or spend my time fixing their mistakes?

Bottom line- Yeti realized a deficit with their warranty and slapped a "lifetime warranty" badge on everything but nothing else changed. It's all marketing. They need some serious personnel changes and additions in their headquarters IMO. They can afford it.

Wait until linkage bolts start breaking, I hear the team guys are already breaking them... I wonder how they will deflect that. In the mean time enjoy the new 150. It really is a sick bike once you work through all the little problems on your own.
    Last edited by Streetdoctor; 10-14-2018 at 07:03 PM.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Specialized has the best customer service I've ever seen. I email an issue photos and SN and they respond that they are sending new parts etc. Had a fairly expensive part and a new clothing item sent no problem. I'm feeling stupid to consider another brand. Watching follow cam Friday and the great spec choices on the yeti plus the straightish seat tube have me wanting a 130. I ride a ton and if it has problems it's going to really suck.
    I agree. The debacle with the Ohlins suspension was so bad on my enduro a couple years ago Specialized bought me a Fox 36 and an X2 off the shelf of my local bike shop without even seeing the shitty Ohlins stuff. Impressive. I was real close to buying a new stumpy this time around but there was no stock.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member

Unlike Specialized and some others Yeti will not deal with warranty issues direct with customers if you call them. They will direct you to contact your dealer who then has to work with the warranty person at Yeti. I have gone this route in the past and so have many of my friends. The best case is that within a few days your dealer gets a reply and they start the ball rolling to resolve the issue. What usually happens is it takes a week or two to get a reply from Yeti then they ask for a bunch of info off the bike like SN, pics etc.. and then there is no reply for another week or so. Your dealer then keeps following up and they ask for the same info again or they sometimes just run you in circles a bit. In any case your dealer usually has to keep bugging them to get results. By this point you are usually about 3-4 weeks in and if they do agree to send a replacement part it could take additional time to get.

The best warranty experiences I have had were Specialized, Santa Cruz and Ellsworth. There is a long list of bike vendors who I have had bad customer service from.

jvo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks to those for being candid about the issues. I am not seeing good results from this thread in general - I am out. Too many confirmations of bad service. Cost Premium products should come with at least a good, if not stellar, customer service record. Good luck to all, but I am patiently waiting on SC and the new 29 ers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    Yeti will not deal with warranty issues direct with customers if you call them. They will direct you to contact your dealer who then has to work with the warranty person at Yeti.
    If this is true, they're way behind the times. They're a premium brand dealing with customers that know a lot about their bikes and what they want out of them. Not the type of customers that want to wait for bike shop employees to send an email and wait a week for a response. Or maybe I'm wrong and the informed buyers are a small minority and most are really of the "Ferrari's are in the shop" mentality? Either way this is a huge turn off as there are so many great options out there these days. I have no local Yeti dealer so that Ripmo is looking mighty fine.

mtbr member
    Thanks Roman!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody for the frank discussions here - really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Damn this is enough for me not to buy Yeti. I never go to a shop and need direct access to deal with issues. In this day and age it should be standard especially with a boutique bike company. This is unfortunate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I demoed a SB130 today and the demo bike already had a bunch of play and creaks in the linkage and yoke similar to the ones experienced on the SB150. Tons of slack. Literal side to side movement. There are a lot of different little linkages in this system. The rear also does flex quite a bit.

Full ride review tomorrow. Rode it a good 20 miles from XC to single black DH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    If this is true, they're way behind the times. They're a premium brand dealing with customers that know a lot about their bikes and what they want out of them. Not the type of customers that want to wait for bike shop employees to send an email and wait a week for a response. Or maybe I'm wrong and the informed buyers are a small minority and most are really of the "Ferrari's are in the shop" mentality? Either way this is a huge turn off as there are so many great options out there these days. I have no local Yeti dealer so that Ripmo is looking mighty fine.
    For the prices of these bikes I’m curious why other brands don’t handle customer service the same way Apple does with premium products. In the long run it’s such a better way to manage your brand and product. I’m sure there are huge margins on these frames to support it.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I was about to place an order for a sb 150 frame but seeing that I think I’ll wait ....are those issues in all sb150 frames or it’s just a few frames?
    On the other hand, it’s strange there are so few reviews of these bikes from real users....

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    Really? Specialized will deal directly with the end consumer? Doubt it. Maybe small nonsequential stuff. You break a specialized frame and see if you can get it warrantied without a dealer.

Most bike companies won't because it's a liability.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    In my experience with Specialized, you do need to work through a dealer. That said, I’ve received excellent service from Specialized. Ibis, too.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Ibis, too.
    Well, that is good news. I have a HD4 and that is instantly where my train of thought went after reading this thread.

If Yeti keeps this up, Ripmos may continue to be hard to get for the foreseeable future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    I was about to place an order for a sb 150 frame but seeing that I think I’ll wait ....are those issues in all sb150 frames or it’s just a few frames?
    On the other hand, it’s strange there are so few reviews of these bikes from real users....
    Not enough out there yet and supposedly Yeti is sold out as well. I plan on keeping mine because I really like the bike, but I'm really nervous about needing warranty work mid race season. I'm not exactly delicate on bikes.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    Really? Specialized will deal directly with the end consumer? Doubt it. Maybe small nonsequential stuff. You break a specialized frame and see if you can get it warrantied without a dealer.

Most bike companies won't because it's a liability.
    Specialized sells bikes online, so they are a dealer as well as a vendor. They will certainly handle warranty claims directly for “their” customer.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

mtbr member
    This always baffles me. There are SO MANY good bikes out now days that people dont have to be brand loyal anymore. There are other options that are always just as good.

One would think they would do everything they could for someone spending a small fortune on one of their bikes, knowing that if they didnt the next company WILL get their business.

mtbr member
    7000 grand and no carbon wheels on the xo1 build sb130??

mtbr member
    The palpable vibe I got from Yeti (including eyerolls when explaining my issue) was one of arrogance and "you don't know WTF you're talking about and you're wasting my time". It seems they're really targeting the dentist crowd who can drop 7-10k to ride on paved bike path, and they don't expect you to actually ride the bike. Even my wife caught the eye roll and thought WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    This always baffles me. There are SO MANY good bikes out now days that people dont have to be brand loyal anymore. There are other options that are always just as good.

One would think they would do everything they could for someone spending a small fortune on one of their bikes, knowing that if they didnt the next company WILL get their business.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    In my experience with Specialized, you do need to work through a dealer. That said, I’ve received excellent service from Specialized. Ibis, too.
    I was able to work with an employee at Specialized on an issue with a defective shock. They sent the replacement to the dealer but communication was all done direct thru them at the time. Having the dealer involved in warranty claims is common practice but some vendors will be more directly involved with customer service than others. Many vendors will send out small replacement or updated parts to customers without needing to get a dealer involved. Although this can cause a little more work for a vendor it can often expedite the process by eliminating a middle man.

I have found Yeti to be on the extreme side when it comes to this as even small replacement parts like the SB100 creaking SI fittings they had to update right after the bike was released. Customers had to request these small parts direct from a dealer. What I found disappointing was that even after the SB100 SI was a known issue and Yeti was shipping out replacement parts to resolve the issue they continued to ship new frames with the old hardware instead of updating the frames they had in stock with the new parts. But that's a rant for a different discussion..

With Ibis I have found if it's frame or frame parts they are very good and I have had them send me small parts without ever getting the dealer involved but 3rd party parts like Industry Nine hubs that are offered on their wheels / complete bike builds they told me I had to deal with I9. I was later told by I9 that this was incorrect and that Ibis should have been involved. In the end I9 was great and expedited parts to resolve the issue so it was not a big deal, it just created a little more work on my end.

As others have said most of the new bikes out are amazing and there are only small differences separating them from each other. One major factor for me is and always will be customer service as shit happens and I want to know that my bike will have the least amount of downtime and I will have the least amount of headache dealing with it. In a very competitive landscape I think vendors should have the same focus many have on throwing money at sponsored riders and marketing as they do on in house support personnel. Having enough high quality people to support customers direct or dealers when customers need support is vital.

mtbr member
    This is just sad to read. I don't understand how a business can survive with this type of production and customer service. As many have said, so many good bikes out right now and with excellent customer service.
    2019 Yeti SB130
    2018 YT Jeffsy 27.5 AL
    2018 Cervelo R2

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    This is all very frustrating to read but appreciate everyone's honesty. Makes my very nervous for my new Yeti showing up tomorrow...*fingers crossed

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ryano4u View Post
    This is just sad to read...
    That's what I was thinking. As someone who buys a bike every 8-10yrs, I just don't have faith in something that won't hold up...then the company acts like it's my fault when it doesn't.

I've always really wanted a Yeti and love the way SI rides. I was hoping Yeti's past was behind them and they learned from it...maybe not.

Edit to add: Thanks for sharing SD (and others); I'm glad that people are willing to post their experiences. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The palpable vibe I got from Yeti (including eyerolls when explaining my issue) was one of arrogance and "you don't know WTF you're talking about and you're wasting my time". It seems they're really targeting the dentist crowd who can drop 7-10k to ride on paved bike path, and they don't expect you to actually ride the bike. Even my wife caught the eye roll and thought WTF.
    That's really unfortunate. I was working on getting a Sb150 frame and swapping over my parts from my 5.5, but their attitude towards working with you has me really reconsidering. Its also too bad they are letting the general public do their field testing. You would think these kinks could have been worked out before the release by letting their team members race on them for a couple months. Instead they get so worried about spy shots and information being leaked that they don't do adequate real world testing.

I would think they would drive up just as much demand for the new bikes if they let Rude and the rest of the team race on them first, especially with the results he was throwing down on the 150, and then release it later having fully been "tested".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    That's really unfortunate. I was working on getting a Sb150 frame and swapping over my parts from my 5.5, but their attitude towards working with you has me really reconsidering. Its also too bad they are letting the general public do their field testing. You would think these kinks could have been worked out before the release by letting their team members race on them for a couple months. Instead they get so worried about spy shots and information being leaked that they don't do adequate real world testing.

I would think they would drive up just as much demand for the new bikes if they let Rude and the rest of the team race on them first, especially with the results he was throwing down on the 150, and then release it later having fully been "tested".
    My exact conversation with a higher up there went something like, "When I push the bike hard into corners I'm getting enough flex that a 2.3 is rubbing the frame" cue the eyeroll and "Rude and the team guys have been riding this bike for months and not had these issues, that's really weird". Like there isn't rubber marks all over the inside of my swingarm and I was making it up... I wasn't claiming to ride harder than Rude or anyone else, I was just describing my situation so hopefully they could come up with a solution. Pretty frustrating. When I spoke to the owner through email he was very cool and attempted to be reassuring, either it was just lip service (which I don't believe) or there is a disconnect between him and the rest of the company.

I'm hoping to get out next Sunday if my shock arrives this week and fingers crossed all the issues are resolved.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Was considering SB150 and new Spartan 29. Heavily leaning towards the Spartan now...

thanks for sharing, hope you keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Not buying a Yeti now, mostly because of the customer service side of things. I can't ship stuff to a Yeti dealer then wait weeks for parts thats BS. Might as well have no warranty at all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Not buying a Yeti now, mostly because of the customer service side of things. I can't ship stuff to a Yeti dealer then wait weeks for parts thats BS. Might as well have no warranty at all!
    Keep in mind these are only some of the people experience. And while it sucks for some clearly, for others it doesn’t. I’ve had great experience with yeti warranty.

OriginalDonk
    Side loading of the rear shock killed many Cane Creek and Ohlins shocks for
    Specialized and caused Push to recall 11-6's for the Firebird.

Sounds like Yeti needs to get out ahead of this one before the narrative overwhelms the bike if not the brand as a whole. They don't have to look too far to find bikes that were considered essentially untouchable due to unanticipated play around the shock bushings.

mtbr member
    A part of me still wants a yeti, it's just a big risk at this point. With the current availability the way it is I doubt I could even get one before next spring anyhow, XL complete bikes arent very available yet.

If I watch enough follow cam Friday I'll be in line for one haha

Quote Originally Posted by jbob27 View Post
    Keep in mind these are only some of the people experience. And while it sucks for some clearly, for others it doesn’t. I’ve had great experience with yeti warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I can only speak from my experience (had a couple of Yeti's). I broke the rear triangle on my ASR5C twice, and both times I had a replacement in about a week (and I'm in Canada, and all I did was send cell phone pics to the dealer - in another province - who then sent them to Yeti, which processed the warranty based on that). So I had a great experience, and when in Colorado I visited HQ and the guys were great.

That said, Yeti's do seem to have more than their fair share of quality control issues - not only did I break two rear triangles, but when I first received the frame the bearings were incorrectly installed. At the time, it was the most I ever spent on a frame, so I was pretty ticked off. All bikes and brands have their problems, but quality control seems to be an ongoing problem. I remember a review (maybe Pinkbike?) of the SB6 (I think it was), and they broke like two of them during the review session. It was explained away as a fault in the design or layup process. Guys, shouldn't that be 100% solved before they are released to customers??

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I really hope this lack of availability of frames and full bikes it's because they (Yeti) are checking/revising/solving the bugs in the frame/bushing or whatever....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    I really hope this lack of availability of frames and full bikes it's because they (Yeti) are checking/revising/solving the bugs in the frame/bushing or whatever....
    And hopefully they're forthcoming with a fix for those who jumped on the initial release!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    And hopefully they're forthcoming with a fix for those who jumped on the initial release!
    I would imagine they are working on a fix for sure. The last thing they want is a headache such as this.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yes I really hope Yeti is reading this thread and providing a solution for current users and future users as well

mtbr member
    Very dissapointing to hear that this is how Yeti is choosing to handle issues with this bike or any of the bikes they build and sell.

Ever since the debacle of the leaked launch of the SB150 and removing posts and kinda blaming social media and certain consumers as well as hearing Street-doctors personal account of the way this has been handled is making me not wan't to own another Yeti beyond the SB100 that I bought in May.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Very dissapointing to hear that this is how Yeti is choosing to handle issues with this bike or any of the bikes they build and sell.

Ever since the debacle of the leaked launch of the SB150 and removing posts and kinda blaming social media and certain consumers as well as hearing Street-doctors personal account of the way this has been handled is making me not wan't to own another Yeti beyond the SB100 that I bought in May.
    I have an SB130 frame in transit. I'm really not too excited to get it after reading the owner reviews, warranty issues, etc. I get the fact that new models may have issues, but it's always been about how are they handled that sets one competitor apart from another. I did my own SB100 switch hardware fix, but my buddy elected to go with the LBS which charged him for the labor to do the creak repair. Will be interesting to see how all the LBS/BC/CC/ETC have to handle these SB130/150 issues since all they've done (the shops) in the past is gripe about the warranty processes with Yeti.
    2019 SB130
    2019 SB100
    2018 Followingv2
    2017 SB5
    2016 SB55
    2016 Wreckoning
    2016 SB45
    2015 SB6
    2015 Following

mtbr member
    Send it back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit View Post
    I have an SB130 frame in transit. I'm really not too excited to get it after reading the owner reviews, warranty issues, etc. I get the fact that new models may have issues, but it's always been about how are they handled that sets one competitor apart from another. I did my own SB100 switch hardware fix, but my buddy elected to go with the LBS which charged him for the labor to do the creak repair. Will be interesting to see how all the LBS/BC/CC/ETC have to handle these SB130/150 issues since all they've done (the shops) in the past is gripe about the warranty processes with Yeti.

mtbr member
    The UPS man delivered my repaired X2 from Fox this afternoon and I immediately went out for a ride. Shock feels good and the new bushings definitely eliminated the play at the front mount but there's still enough flex in the back end for a 2.4 DHRII to rub the drive side chain stay. This mark was from about 3 miles of downhill. I took some video of the ride messing with my gimbal I'll throw a link up here later tonight. It was my first time riding outside in a couple of weeks so I didn't feel like I was pushing it particularly hard. I know it may not be a big issue to some but just the fact that it rubs bothers me. There's no way I could run a 2.5 and I'm worried about what it will look like after a few thousand miles. I don't want to have to keep swapping frame tape.

I also reached out to Yeti again (the owner and the sales guy I was dealing with) and attached this same photo. We'll see what they say. I asked them directly if there's any kind of fix in the works for the rubbing and flexy back end. I REALLY like this bike and want it to work but if they tell me "it is what it is" I probably won't be keeping it or ever riding a Yeti again. Which means selling my 4.5 as well.

Sorry about the rotated photo, the uploader here keeps turning everything 90 degrees on me for some reason.

SB130 and SB150 issues?-wqwsw4u7qzmfpowt66yypg.jpg
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexit View Post
    What issues do you know about with the 130? Mine is perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just curious - when you are off the bike, how much clearance is there between stay and tire?

The UPS man delivered my repaired X2 from Fox this afternoon and I immediately went out for a ride. Shock feels good and the new bushings definitely eliminated the play at the front mount but there's still enough flex in the back end for a 2.4 DHRII to rub the drive side chain stay. This mark was from about 3 miles of downhill. I took some video of the ride messing with my gimbal I'll throw a link up here later tonight. It was my first time riding outside in a couple of weeks so I didn't feel like I was pushing it particularly hard. I know it may not be a big issue to some but just the fact that it rubs bothers me. There's no way I could run a 2.5 and I'm worried about what it will look like after a few thousand miles. I don't want to have to keep swapping frame tape.

I also reached out to Yeti again (the owner and the sales guy I was dealing with) and attached this same photo. We'll see what they say. I asked them directly if there's any kind of fix in the works for the rubbing and flexy back end. I REALLY like this bike and want it to work but if they tell me "it is what it is" I probably won't be keeping it or ever riding a Yeti again. Which means selling my 4.5 as well.

Sorry about the rotated photo, the uploader here keeps turning everything 90 degrees on me for some reason.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WqwsW4U7QzmFpoWT66yypg.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1221098

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    This bike is currently off my list---seemed perfect but for the premium $$--we will see how they deal but for top $$ I do not want issues and they should be jumping on these reports-we will see

Int'l Sales - PIVOT

Hey Chance-
    It’s a bummer to hear these stories about Yeti CS and QC... I spent years there and have nothing but love for those guys.

In any event, drop me a note if you’d like to try a Pivot sometime. A Firebird29 or Trail429 would compliment your quiver very well.

Cheers,
    JP
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Just curious - when you are off the bike, how much clearance is there between stay and tire?
    drive side is about 1/4", non drive side is double that. There's no rub just riding around but pushing the bike causing the back end to flex is when it touches. Kinda tough to swallow when it's billed as an "enduro race weapon".

Here's video from today

https://youtu.be/MAB8-oh9ee8
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    John P----I have a 429 trail and wanted to buy the new version---but I want a bit more squish in the rear----like 130--loved the new Geo as mine is very short on reach but still it feels based on the XC 429 ----I am hoping still for a new Pivot that entices me--140/130----maybe a redone SB-----but for today the Evil offering is enticing

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    This is really disappointing. I was fully prepared to drop relatively big $$$ on a custom SB150 build. But now I'm obviously not going to. The initial suspension reports were bad enough, but the rubbing issue would be permanent I would think without significant changes to the actual frame design.

I wonder if the industry has passed by these smaller boutique brands that just can't spend the hours and dollars on proper testing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    drive side is about 1/4", non drive side is double that. There's no rub just riding around but pushing the bike causing the back end to flex is when it touches. Kinda tough to swallow when it's billed as an "enduro race weapon".

Here's video from today

Gosh what a fun trail. Where is that, Golden area? Is there a shuttle or lift?
    Sorry about the bike problems.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This thread and the SB100 thread saved me from the headache of owing a new SB model. Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Damn fine riding Streetdoctor

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm surprised that there has been no response from Yeti.

A boutique brand should be present on the most popular forums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    This thread and the SB100 thread saved me from the headache of owing a new SB model. Thanks for the input
    No issues with my SB100 and no headaches for me. If I did have an issue it would be quickly taken care of by my LBS free of charge like it should be. They would pick up the phone and there would be no email bs/ run around and weeks of waiting. I also would have my pick of about 10 different demo bikes until my bike was ready to ride. I guess this is the advantages of going through a great LBS, but I know not everyone has that opportunity or wants to. It’s rediculous to grasp that some LBS are charging labor for warranty work of any kind like mentioned above. To even have that thought in your mind about whether or not you will be charged= find another LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Hey Chance-
    It’s a bummer to hear these stories about Yeti CS and QC... I spent years there and have nothing but love for those guys.

In any event, drop me a note if you’d like to try a Pivot sometime. A Firebird29 or Trail429 would compliment your quiver very well.

Cheers,
    JP
    Mmmmnnn, The FB29 sounds Tasty
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WqwsW4U7QzmFpoWT66yypg.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1221098

Just wondered, are you sure this is the frame and not your wheels? What wheels are you running? Are you a heavy rider?
    I have noticed loads of flex on my 29er wheels on the SB100. My SB5 wheels in 27.5 felt rock solid and I cant see much difference in rear end shapes to cause that much flex.

29ers need deep rims to shorten the spoke length if you are riding hard. I'll be going for 30mm deep rims to compensate for longer spokes and avoiding straight pull spokes.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby1 View Post
    Just wondered, are you sure this is the frame and not your wheels? What wheels are you running? Are you a heavy rider?
    I have noticed loads of flex on my 29er wheels on the SB100. My SB5 wheels in 27.5 felt rock solid and I cant see much difference in rear end shapes to cause that much flex.

29ers need deep rims to shorten the spoke length if you are riding hard. I'll be going for 30mm deep rims to compensate for longer spokes and avoiding straight pull spokes.
    I think Streetdoctor tried a different wheelset with the same result?? I am not sure about that though....
    I asked on youtube a reviewer of the Sb150 about those issues and he claims he hasn't noticed anything unsual either on the front bushings or flexing in the rear triangle...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Hey Chance-

Cheers,
    JP
    Man I really wanted to like the new Trail429, it checks all the boxes, but after an extended demo with three rides it just didn’t excite me. Hard to explain why, just felt “meh” about it. Beautiful bike though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man I really wanted to like the new Trail429, it checks all the boxes, but after an extended demo with three rides it just didn’t excite me. Hard to explain why, just felt “meh” about it. Beautiful bike though.
    Not to derail, but I really wonder what is the “problem” with the T429? I felt the same way as you; it checks all the boxes and I really wanted to love it...but, it was not inspiring and I was underwhelmed. And I’ve read bunches of reviews that feel the same. I loved the FB29, but there’s something “meh” about the trail.

mtbr member
    Not to derail, but I really wonder what is the “problem” with the T429? I felt the same way as you; it checks all the boxes and I really wanted to love it...but, it was not inspiring and I was underwhelmed. And I’ve read bunches of reviews that feel the same. I loved the FB29, but there’s something “meh” about the trail.
    Yeah I felt bad because after my LBS turned a new bike into a demo, I couldn't really give them a solid answer about what I didnt like about it. Anyway, I'm thrilled with the SB130 now so no complaints
    Yeti SB130 Turq X0

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    John P----I have a 429 trail and wanted to buy the new version---but I want a bit more squish in the rear----like 130--loved the new Geo as mine is very short on reach but still it feels based on the XC 429 ----I am hoping still for a new Pivot that entices me--140/130----maybe a redone SB-----but for today the Evil offering is enticing
    You should try to throw a leg over a Trail429 with a DPX2 shock upgrade. That's my personal setup at the moment, and it's pretty hard to find that bike's limits without doing something totally insane. Haha

Cheers,

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Mmmmnnn, The FB29 sounds Tasty
    Haha... you'd love it. I've never had a bike that felt as scary-fast as this thing. Seriously, drop me a line if you're interested!

SB130 and SB150 issues?-img_1211.jpg
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby1 View Post

These are Stans Flow MK3s 32h over-tensioned. I'm 195lb. The wheels that came on the bike were garbage. I don't think anyone makes a 30mm tall alloy wheel? I can't race on carbons, they break too easily.
    Denver, CO

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    No worries, guys - everyone has their own preferences. I had the exact same feeling about the SB4.5 back when I worked for Yeti. Everyone raved about that bike, but I just never got along with it - always felt like I either sat way up on top of the travel or all the way down through to the bottom.

In any event, I made a couple small-ish changes to the Trail429 that really brought that bike to life:
    1. I swapped the Minion and Rekon tired for a Hans Dampf (F) and Nobby Nic (R) - this lightened up the rotating mass and made the bike snappier.
    2. Swapped the DPS for a DPX2 - this gave the bike a bit more control on long, chunky descents.

Full disclosure: I later swapped out the wheels for some carbon hoops, but this was just because I'm a carbon freak. Haha... the tires and DPX2 shock were the big changes.

Cheers,
    JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Gosh what a fun trail. Where is that, Golden area? Is there a shuttle or lift?
    Sorry about the bike problems.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    It's about a 40 min drive to shuttle it, otherwise its about an hour climb. Yep just north of Golden. Only real downhill trail on the front range
    Denver, CO

ncm
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Here's video from today

Sheesh u make lower longhorn look easy....

sucks u are still having rub issues...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    These are Stans Flow MK3s 32h over-tensioned. I'm 195lb. The wheels that came on the bike were garbage. I don't think anyone makes a 30mm tall alloy wheel? I can't race on carbons, they break too easily.
    I am similar weight and riding arch rims. Flow and arch are only 16mm deep which is pretty low compared to most alloy rims. When i'm pushing it up hill standing up I feel it flex a lot, which is something I've not experienced with my other wheels.
    I agree, not sure what to suggest with alloy deep rims but I tried a friends Sb100 with carbon 30mm deep wheels and it felt so different.
    Just thought I would mention it incase it was the wheels as its worth investigating all possibilities.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast