SB130 LR 40 vs 50mm stem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SB130 LR 40 vs 50mm stem

Hello all;

I'm on a 2019 SB130 Lunch Ride and absolutely love it.
    Noticed the 2020 bikes are shipping with a 50mm stem, instead of the 40, as it is on mine.

Has anyone tried both lengths? Thoughts on going 50mm? More weight over the front?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

mtbr member
    really depends on the bike fit for you, do you feel the tt a little shorter while seated? perhaps a longer reach would be nice?

You gotta ask those questions and try to make an informed decision. I ride a hightower v2, it comes with a 50mm stem but I felt cramped on the small frame and sized up to a M with a 35 stem and it works great for me! I donít get why bike brands keep saying this or that stem length fits better on this or that bike, to me is more of a personal preference.

If you have a lbs they probably will let you try a 50mm stem before buying one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I used to think stems were mostly just about your fitment on the bike but they make a dramatic difference in how the front tire sticks to the ground. There is actually very limited information on this topic online as I've searched. But I can tell you my Mondraker came with a 30mm length stem, then I did a 35, then I did a 40, and I now have a 45mm length stem on order. So far the handling has improved notably each time and not from a fit standpoint but from a front traction standpoint.
    I can't say what is ideal, although I have heard some say to match the stem to the offset of the fork. But how much your handlebars sweep back seems to completely offset that theory so I don't know.
    My wife also has a Mondraker and she always complained about how sensitive the steering was, and how it didn't feel stable. Unfortunately she could not express it that clearly, she would just say 'it steers funny'. I started lengthening her stem as well and she notices a big improvement in stability, which I don't notice. I just notice the front tire not pushing as I lengthen the stem.
    My opinion is that uber short stems, were never a good idea. Now I have several to sell.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have a "converted" LR SB130 and have tried 35, 40 and 50 extensively. The difference was really shocking to me for what you might think to be small changes. Keep in mind that I fall right in the middle of the size range for a medium so fit was NOT an issue and YMMV. The 35 felt fine but was a bit twitchy on climbs and I needed to focus on weighting the front end more. The 50 was just too long - manuals and wheelies were difficult and the bike just didn't respond as fast as I wanted - very disappointed with the 50. The 40 felt like it just rawked from the get-go. I've had college physics and I can tell you the force vector for a 40mm stem pushes you nearly straight thru the axle of a 44mm offset fork so... you can laugh all you want but there is a LOT more to the "match the stem length to the fork offset" than anyone realizes yet. IT JUST WORKS! Also the ONLY reason Yeti went with 50mm stem for 2020 is because RaceFace does NOT offer that stem in a 40mm version this year and they try to explain it by saying "you need to weight the front more", LOL! There's no way I'm running anything other than a 40mm stem on this bike. Yeti needs to find a new supplier.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone!

GMAN, that's quite the endorsement!
    How tall are you?

I love my 40mm on the LR, was just hoping not to miss any advantages by not switching to a 50mm.

I love love this bike!
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    50mm here. Iím close to the top end of a large frame with my height, and the LR reduces the reach anyway.

I actually donít like super short stems and the handling traits they cause, so 50mm is the sweet spot for me. Even on my big bike which was significantly longer I ran a 50mm stem.

The 35/40mm stem forces you to ride over the front of the bike more to get decent front wheel traction, and it makes the bike feel a lot more sensitive to steering input.

Which is fine when you are on it & feeing good, but when youíre tired, or racing and gassed, I like a slower feeling to steering in those scenarios, gives me a bit more of a chance to react and save situations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ro.nin View Post
    Thanks everyone!

GMAN, that's quite the endorsement!
    How tall are you?

I love my 40mm on the LR, was just hoping not to miss any advantages by not switching to a 50mm.

I love love this bike!
    5'9" on a good day but 5'8" on most lately with my compressed L3 disc. 30" inseam so... meerkat body type which really seems to fit the SB130.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm splitting the difference and trying a 45!

mtbr member
    So many good opinions!

Interesting that they can't source out the 40mm stem.
    But would that prompt a change that gives quite a different feel, from what I understand?

Also, you'd think they've developed the bike with a 40mm stem on it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The stability change was a non issue for me where-as for my wife it was a huge factor.
    However, I get through the turns above average and the shorter stem effects front wheel traction for me.
    But I'm still experimenting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm on a large custom built 130LR..

Ran it with a 35mm PRO Tharsis 3Five stem to start with and I was having issues with the front end washing out right at the end of a corner. Never encountered this before like I was.

I've now gone to a 45mm of the same stem and its perfect. All the issues i was having have gone away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yah, I'm selling off my handful of short stems before the market goes away for them.
    I think people that can push for KOMs notice the loss of front end traction with short stems, where others might not
    I'll report back in about 2 weeks how I like the new 45 stem.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 1 Week Ago at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I ride an XL 130LR (I am 6'2) and went from the stock 40mm to a 32mm i9 stem.

I had to get used to leaning a bit more forward and a bit more twitchiness on super fast descents but I have really enjoyed the increased responsiveness of the bike, especially on super steep technical descents. The XL is a bit on the long side for me so the shorter stem made the reach a little more reasonable and most importantly made the front end a good bit easier to pull up and manual.

DNW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am 6'0", and ride a LR converted Large SB130. I went from 35 to 50 when I did the conversion, and also lowered the stem by 5 or 10mm. This seemed to keep me in an almost identical riding position compared to the pre-LR setup. It also helps keep my weight on the front wheel which the SB130 really rewards. I would not go back to the 35.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    My wife also has a Mondraker and she always complained about how sensitive the steering was, and how it didn't feel stable. Unfortunately she could not express it that clearly, she would just say 'it steers funny'. I started lengthening her stem as well and she notices a big improvement in stability, which I don't notice. I just notice the front tire not pushing as I lengthen the stem.
    My opinion is that uber short stems, were never a good idea. Now I have several to sell.

I found the same.
    I've been on 35mm and 40mm for probably the last 8 years or so. I loved how the short stems helped get my 26 and 27.5 front wheels over objects and specifically helped avoid going OTB. IMO that was very real.
    I don't think that's as necessary on 29ers. When I got my SB100 last year I swapped over my 40mm stem, then a few months later went to a 50mm. WHAT a difference - the steering is noticeably more stable and less twitchy.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Just recently switched from a 40mm to 50mm as purely experimental. I'm 5'8" on a medium and I used to run 32mm race face stem all the time on other bikes. Started with 40mm and found the front end a little twitchy mainly on climbs. I placed a 50mm on right before a day trip to Sedona and was immediately at home on the climbs and the descents felt more stable. Again, it's all preference but it really made a difference for me.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Iím 5ft 9 tall on a SB130LR with 150mm Lyrik fork. Have tried 50mm spacer and find it too tiring for the body. 40mm stem with 25mm spacer so far is my most optimized combo. Doesnít wander around much and still comfortable for dh.