?RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Rear Shock On SB66A Anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. ?RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Rear Shock On SB66A Anyone?

Looking at a rear shock with better mid stroke holding abilities. My stock ctd waddles around like a drunk duck in the mid stroke and is really not able to be tuned like the pike on the front.

Any one running a RC3 monarch w/or without the debonair can? Seen one guy using it on his SB95 but haven't seen one on a 66 yet.

Thanks!

PS: no cane creek for me thanks.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Looking at a rear shock with better mid stroke holding abilities. My stock ctd waddles around like a drunk duck in the mid stroke and is really not able to be tuned like the pike on the front. Any one running a RC3 monarch w/or without the debonair can? Seen one guy using it on his SB95 but haven't seen one on a 66 yet. Thanks! PS: no cane creek for me thanks.
    Yup. Got mine (2015 w debonair) last week. Two rides on it so far. Much better mid stroke than the CTD. I beat my PR on a 10 minute downhill segment by 45 seconds on the first ride out. Still fiddling with the sag and rebound but the shock is a way better match to the pike I'm running up front.

mtbr member
    Did you have to do any air can shims ?

mtbr member
    Did you have to do any air can shims ?
    No. I was worried that I would need them, given the volume of the can, but I don't think I will need any. At 28% sag, I got full travel on the big / hard impacts. It's not blowing through travel like the CTD was.

For reference, I was running the middle spacer on my CTd. My RS tune is M/m. I'm 175-180 fully geared up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'll have my 2015 monarch plus debonair show up this week and will be able to give some feedback as well next weekend.

mtbr member

Pic

Here she is...
    ?RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 Rear Shock On SB66A Anyone?-yeti.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks good. What size frame is that?

mtbr member
    Looks good. What size frame is that?
    Large

mtbr member
    Resevoir looks kind of close to the bottom of that top tub on a large, wonder if it'd still fit on my medium...??

mtbr member
    I've got one on a medium and it fits great. I've had it about 3 months now and upgraded over a stock 2013 Fox CTD. I really like it so far. It rides lower in the travel then the Fox but is more supportive and overall works a lot better for me. Traction climbing is improved. Decending feels pretty similar to the Fox but it does not blow through travel nearly as bad as the Fox and it recovers much quicker. I like it.

DSCN1243 by adamkob, on Flickr

DSCN1236 by adamkob, on Flickr

--Adam

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Adam,

What tune are you running for the shock?

mtbr member
    I went with a low compression and medium rebound tune. My riding weight is around 135 lb and I had a medium comp before and it didn't work the best for me so I went with a bit lighter tune this time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I got my debonair put on today. What's a good baseline rebound you guys are running to start from? I'll definitely have to adjust the air pressure as the 200 I put in there initially is barely moving the o-ring to set the sag at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by adamkob32 View Post
    I went with a low compression and medium rebound tune. My riding weight is around 135 lb and I had a medium comp before and it didn't work the best for me so I went with a bit lighter tune this time.
    Cheers Adam. You're a fair bit lighter than me so I'm thinking maybe the M/M tune is the better option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT77 View Post
    At 28% sag, I got full travel on the big / hard impacts. It's not blowing through travel like the CTD was.

For reference, I was running the middle spacer on my CTd. My RS tune is M/m. I'm 175-180 fully geared up.
    Hey MT777, how do you find the small bump and pedalling performance in the "open" mode? I'm around your riding weight so interested in how you find the shock in these instances.

mtbr member
    I've found small bump sensitivity to be quite good. Pedaling performance is a tricky subject -- it's kind of subjective. I will say that I am usually a fan of putting in into the middle setting on long uphills, but I do that no matter what bike/shock I'm using. I rode in Bend, OR earlier this week, on some pretty smooth trails. I got to the top of a climb and realized I had forgotten to firm up the shock. I had left it in Open mode for a few miles and hadn't noticed, so I'll say pedaling performance in Open is great.

One more thing for guys just setting up their shocks. Someone mentioned to me that a good way to do it is start 20 psi or so below where you think you'll be, then hop on the bike and bounce it a few times. Go up in 5-10 psi increments, doing the same thing, until you get to the correct sag. Supposedly this helps balance out the main vs negative air chambers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just got the first ride in on the shock today. Immediately a noticeable difference at about 25% sag.

Agreed with setting it up, it takes quite a few air adjustments. It was stiff at 200 psi, like a brick. Backed the pressure off and bounced around in the parking lot to find I was at 50% sag, then had to make about 5 more adjustments to get it right.

mtbr member
    sorry bringing this old thread back...

I'm trying to figured out if I should get a nomad M/L takeoff or a new M/M debonair for my SB66. I've been seeing different opinions, I'm around 155-160 geared up.

I've seen some posts saying yeti recomends M/M for rockshox, but also seen people saying M/M was too much and switched to M/L

Having a hard time getting this info from Yeti and/or Rockshox.

mtbr member
    I'm running m/l from a nomad but I'm 220lbs geared and it works well for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    sorry bringing this old thread back...

I'm trying to figured out if I should get a nomad M/L takeoff or a new M/M debonair for my SB66. I've been seeing different opinions, I'm around 155-160 geared up.

I've seen some posts saying yeti recomends M/M for rockshox, but also seen people saying M/M was too much and switched to M/L

Having a hard time getting this info from Yeti and/or Rockshox.
    I think you would be fine at M/L. I had found a chart online somewhere, kinda like this one for MY 2011
    https://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/159486027.png
    The SB66 is in the middle of the M and L tunes (2.4 / flat). So it boils down to personal preference and weight/riding style.
    FWIW, I did contact Yeti and they told me M/M

mtbr member
    Resurrecting this one again. As far as actually mounting Rock Shox suspension to an SB66 frame, did you need new bushings or were you able to use the bushings/mounting hardware that came stock with the Fox shock? Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Monarch Plus and just wondering if I'll need any other hardware bits. Thanks y'all...

mtbr member
    used the hardware that was on the nomad and came with the shock, and used the same bolts I was using for the fox shock, not sure if you can use the fox hardware but it's worth a try before buying new ones

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks!