Rear End Stiffness- SB150 VS SB140/165?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Rear End Stiffness- SB150 VS SB140/165?

Hi all,

Demo'd an SM150 yesterday as its been on my list for new bike purchase for quite some time. The biggest deterrent has been the often discussed rear end flex issues especially with a 220lbs rider. I'll need to do another demo to decide fully on the SB150 BUT i don't seem to see this issue mentioned at all in regard to the SB140 or SB165?

Did Yeti 'beef up' the rear ends on these bikes? In pictures they do look a bit stouter but that could just be my eyes playing tricks...

mtbr member
    Iím not sure where this rear end flex issue is coming from. Maybe from the initial shipment of bikes?? Just picked up a 150 and feels perfect to me and stuff. I weigh around 205.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm #215 no gear and have mine since Dec. No issues 140/165 do have.a lot more rear tire clearance

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I think this started from the Vital MTB video of the SB150 where they noted quite a bit of side to side movement from the rear tire.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIunD9uYjg

Keep on Rockin...
    If there is some degree of flex perhaps that was intentional. A completely rigid frame may not be ideal. If it is to the point where properly sized tires are rubbing through stays that is a problem. Richie Rude is no lightweight and likely pushing his bike harder than us and seems flexy Yetis ain't holding him back.

mtbr member
    Yeti F'ed up when they announced they had designed additional flex into the SB150. Internet warriors are going to have a field day with this tidbit, which they did.

I have not ridden the SB150, but as much press as the flexy rear has received, Iím surprised Yeti has not addressed it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Yeti F'ed up when they announced they had designed additional flex into the SB150. Internet warriors are going to have a field day with this tidbit, which they did.

I have not ridden the SB150, but as much press as the flexy rear has received, Iím surprised Yeti has not addressed it.
    I have the SB150 and don't notice any flex or anything that seems like it that could cause an issue or weird riding behavior.
    It is the best riding bike I have ever ridden, period***.
    Yeti did not address it because it is not a problem.

All geared up I weight 195 pounds.
    6 foot 1.
    XL frame.

*** Aside from the squeaky noises from the SI link ***

mtbr member
    The issue was with bad rear shock front eyelet bushings from Fox on the initial runs of 150's and 130's as well as an out-of-spec SI bushing. That caused slop and resultant rear wheel rub on the stays. It got corrected but not before all Yeti SB series bikes got dragged thru the mud and their reputation still suffers. A lot of would be buyers are shying away from Yeti (just read a thread or two in the 29'r forum) because of the perceived issue. I was almost one of them! My demo ride revealed no flex whatsoever so... I will still stick with my mantra tho - "Never EVER buy a first year frame!"
    A 2020 might just have to show up in my stable soon

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-06-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    My general rule is if its good enough for Richie to win EWS's on, its going to be good enough for me But in all seriousness, no issues on my 2019 frame, enough tire clearance for a 2.5, no flex and after the stuff I've done to it, no reliability/strength concerns what so ever. Mind you, I'm fairly light at 80kgs.

Id say if you like the frame, go for it , it hauls ass! And if you do have any issues Yeti will sort you out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

Yeti has designed some degree of flex in its bikes since the sb66c, which came out in 2014. This was documented by Yeti back then and was a result of what Jared Graves wanted when he helped develope that bike. I believe that has been designed into all models since then, bit I'm not 100% sure.

If your fairly new to Yeti, then you may not have known about this.

That's not to dispel what G has said about bushings..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150