Questions about older ASRc (2012)- Mtbr.com
    Tribe member

Questions about older ASRc (2012)

I was hoping to upgrade to a new bike this year, but right now it looks like it will be next year (10 year anniversary present). For now though, I'd love to upgrade a few bits on my ASRc to make it feel fresh and new. One thought I had was to change out rear shock to the Monarch and add the debonair kit to it and switch out the 120mm Fox fork to a 130mm Revelation. I don't think the axle to crown is too much of an increase. Would those two things alone make the bike feel a little more plush when things get a bit rowdy?

Also, planning to switch from a 2x9 setup to a 1x10.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What fork and shock are currently on there? What wheels do you have?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    And where do you live/ride?

Tribe member
    Currently have a Fox 120 RLC on the front and the standar RP23 on the rear. Wheels are Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro's.

Live and ride in Bend. So nothing super crazy terrain wise (I love the riding here, but also miss the riding in the Denver area).

I did a little bit of reading, and it sounds like the benefits of the debonair upgrade on the monarch aren't that good for a shorter travel bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Switching out to a 1x10 will drop some weight, more-so if you can get a nice light crankset. I dropped about 550 grams going from a shimano SLX crank with (2x9 and a bash) to a single Next SL crankset. The front shifter, derailleur, and housing saved another 350 grams. it's great not having to think about a front shifter. Even if you don't change cranks, you've got a solid 350 grams you can lose from the front setup.

I'd keep the RP23 and send it to Push Industries. It really is a great shock, and they absolutely love it there - even over the CTD stuff. My Push'ed RP23 on my ASR 7 felt amazing after they worked their magic on it. I love the Rockshox forks, but their shocks aren't great. For whatever reason, they anodized the insides of their air cans, and once that wears away, you have to replace the air can. The RP23 is just a well-built durable shock. I had Push tune it with an eye for the DH side of things. I wanted the climb setting 3 to be barely usable in a climb, rather than 3 being really stiff, and sacrificing when it's in open mode. You can't tune the climb settings and open mode separately. So, make open more plush, and it'll make the climb settings more plush.

The Revelation will be a nice upgrade. Even going up in travel a bit to 130 or 140 might provide a bit more descending capability as it'll slacken out the bike a bit, and have more travel.