The OFFICIAL "When will iviguy finally get his 575?" contest- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! The OFFICIAL "When will iviguy finally get his 575?" contest

Whoever comes closest to the date WITHOUT GOING OVER when he takes physical possession his 575 will win this:

Just to be sure...it's when he actually takes physical possession of the bike from whomever he is buying it from, not when he places his order.

AND it has to be a 575, not an ARC or ASX or ASR.

Oh...and iviguy is not eligible for this contest. And no behind-the-scenes collaboration betwixt iviguy and another poster.

Holy crap it must be a boring day at the office for me!

So let the games begin!!!!

I'll start off...

BelaySlave chooses May 27, 2006.
    Last edited by BelaySlave; 04-11-2006 at 03:42 PM.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave

Whoever comes closest to the date when he takes physical possession his 575 will win this:.
    Can non-yeti owners participate?

I predict May 15th.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Can non-yeti owners participate?
    Yes.

And no, you won't be getting a non-Yeti (ie. Titus) beer glass if you win.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I'll take May 22nd.

FM
    mtbr member
    Yes.

And no, you won't be getting a non-Yeti (ie. Titus) beer glass if you win.
    Both fine containers for any ale of choice.

EDR

This is the best Yeti thread ever...

I'll take May 30th...

Young, Shawn Young
    Im going to say......never! He can talk a hell of a game though

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

roar
    I have to agree. When I got on the bike I was sold. If he doesn't have it in his stable by now, he prolly won't get it. That said, I am rediculously impulsive (not usually a bad thing). Too much thinking hurts. I would rather ride.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

FM
    mtbr member
    Here is a useful graphic that I've created using the bike-purchase-probability-curve software. This great little program considers every possible factor, leaving no room for guesswork or riding impressions!

The blue curve indicates Iviguys chances of buying a 575 peak on the 15th, the drop as the bills mount and disposable income dwindles. Reality bites.

The red curve indicates his chances of buying a titus motolite (tm), which will continue to decline, until by freak chance he gets to ride mine, which is of course exhibits the true potential of a motolite, built up with a marzocchi Z1 and burly parts. Then the chances increase, finalizing in a possible purchase on wednesday the 31st.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FM; 04-11-2006 at 04:38 PM.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Intersting Chart......

but I think the drops are much too quick.......possesion will take place August.....I say again August 12th. The Yeti beer glass will make a fine partner to my Yeti coffee mug. Thank you!
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

My Guess?

I'm going with May 31st, two thousand and fifteen!!!!!!!!!!!! (and that'll be off of E-Bay at that!).

Oni

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Here is a useful graphic that I've created using the bike-purchase-probability-curve software. This great little program considers every possible factor, leaving no room for guesswork or riding impressions!

The blue curve indicates Iviguys chances of buying a 575 peak on the 15th, the drop as the bills mount and disposable income dwindles. Reality bites.

The red curve indicates his chances of buying a titus motolite (tm), which will continue to decline, until by freak chance he gets to ride mine, which is of course exhibits the true potential of a motolite, built up with a marzocchi Z1 and burly parts. Then the chances increase, finalizing in a possible purchase on wednesday the 31st.
    Classic!!!

5 x 5

I've got another formula...

...fifteen minutes for every sentence in the PMs, plus an extra five minutes for each perceived hand-wringing, plus 1 whole day for each flip of the flop of the flip-flip flop...

...comes to...

May 13.

That's going to be one sweet, refreshing beer!
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    I'm going with June 8, 2006. It just seems like a nice day......... That's a mighty fine looking pint glass, a Black Butte Porter will look good in it and should really bring out that fine Yeti logo...

Dean

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbarbie
    I have to agree. When I got on the bike I was sold. If he doesn't have it in his stable by now, he prolly won't get it. That said, I am rediculously impulsive (not usually a bad thing). Too much thinking hurts. I would rather ride.
    I agree....It only took one ride for me and I was sold. I sold the Enduro I was riding at the time and scrimped here and there to get the bike.

Agustin

timackerman
    I think June 10th sounds like a good day to me

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Great thread.
    I keep telling him to get the 5-spot but he seems to have his heart set on the 575.
    Kidding...I'm a fan.

I'm going to say Ivi spends so much time wrangling over the purchase that he hasn't done his taxes yet. So, if he mails them out at 11:59pm on the 14th. He should get a return (if he's done them properly) around May 22. Normally, I'd guess it'd spent on a bike on the 23rd. But he'll probably have to work that day and won't be able to get to the shop until the weekend which makes BelaySlave's 27th date a good bet. I'm going to count on the Fed's red tape to send that check a week later and will say June 3rd.

JUNE 3RD 2006 !!!

In my mind, I can do it!

Whoever comes closest to the date WITHOUT GOING OVER when he takes physical possession his 575 will win this:

Just to be sure...it's when he actually takes physical possession of the bike from whomever he is buying it from, not when he places his order.

Oh...and iviguy is not eligible for this contest. And no behind-the-scenes collaboration betwixt iviguy and another poster.

I'll start off...

I'm touched.. I didn't know you guys cared so much. Now I know why the Yeti owners are called a "tribe". No one on the Titus board cares... You guys rock!

I have a bit of bad news though. I had my heart set on the 575 but I happened to be in walmart last night and saw the most beautiful NEXT FS bike ever. I figure for the price of a 575 I could buy 25 of those bikes and just keep trashing them like a disposable bike you know. I hear they are very plush too.....

Actually, I am a bit disappointed at those nay sayers who think it's never gonna happen. Come on.... "never" is a very long time you know. You know it's gonna happen "eventually". But until then, I have my keyboard and I know how to use the PM's.

And, wrong.. Taxes were done in February money received less than 10 days later. Money spent approximately 1 day after being received. How, I really have no idea. I'm not sure the wife can explain it either. Something like: Association dues, car repair, home owner's insurance renewal, and somethin somethin... It was like magic. Just gone.

FM - That is one hilarious post man. SCORE! I just can't believe you were able to find a jewel of a program like that. My bet is that you will win this contest. At least on paper that is....

One last thing I would like to add to the contest. If no one wins by getting the date correct, I should be entitled to that fine mug. Can I choose whether it has Yeti or Titus on it though? If you could send it and let me test it out that would be great also.

Truth be told here, I have always known what I was going to get but I am just trying to get my posts count up. The Political-Socio-Economic-Religion forum is just too stressful. The Yeti guys always answer too. It works out well.
    Last edited by iviguy; 04-13-2006 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I hear the Titus mug is better for chugging and not great at sipping from. Something to do with the swing angle of the elbow or something or other. Push will be offering an upgrade in the near future though.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    I hear the Titus mug is better for chugging and not great at sipping from. Something to do with the swing angle of the elbow or something or other. Push will be offering an upgrade in the near future though.
    Funny I heard the Yeti mug was a "shotgun" where you have to drink it all in one drink where the Titus you could never get the last 1/4th of the drink out....
    Last edited by Jdub; 04-13-2006 at 12:19 PM.

In my mind, I can do it!
    I don't know.. The Titus cup looks really kind of odd. I wouldn't recommend drinking out of it at all. I'm not sure what kind of statement Titus was trying to make about their suspension with this Titus cup though.....

Time is not a road.
    I'd say it'd be before a weekend, maybe with a day or two to mess around...May 25th 2006, prior to the long weekend for Memorial Day.

I think this thread has got him on edge now...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I think this thread has got him on edge now...
    On edge? I'm LMAO on this thread. This is very funny. Besides, I have been on edge about this whole thing for quite some time now in case you haven't noticed. It is very hard for me to justify a $3k purchase for a bike and even harder to make a "mistake proof" decision on which one to get. We have been a SITCOM for many years and I am still in that mode of thinking, money wise. Single Income Two Children Oppressive Mortgage.

It will happen though... soon, very soon.... I think. LOL

mtbr member
    August 14th.

ಠ_ಠ
    I'm going to say iviguy is never getting a 575.

see this thread.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr

see this thread.
    Its been said See post seven! Where's my glass!
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

see this thread.
    If he orders a Ventana now we'll be playing this game about this time next year.

In my mind, I can do it!

see this thread.
    Wow, who would have thought that some of the tribe would be hanging out in the Ventana forum....

If you read all my posts, from the beginning my dilemma with the 575 has always been the fact that the trails I ride most are rooted, washboard, singletrack with no drops, few rocks, and an occasional jump. Nothing really 575 worthy. Yet I have been wanting something that I could do more extreme things with in the event I was in a place to do them. The ASR is a possibility but it's stuck at 3.7" of travel. The 575 could certainly handle the trails I ride but it's not as precise and flickable as the ASR. There is nothing in the Yeti world that bridges the gap between these 2 bikes.

If you recall, one of the bikes I was interested in was the Moto-Lite and the main reason was the 4" to 5" of travel adjustment. I thought that bike sucked when I rode it though....

So what I noticed with the El Salt was first that it can be 4" or 5" or 6" of travel by changing out the rocker. The next thing I found out was that the suspension rides almost exactly like the 575 in regard to plushness but it was much more stiff.

So is the 575 out? Not yet. I just have some more choices to consider. In fact, last night I went riding on a trail that I usually ride about 90% of the time with a friend who has a 575. He let me ride his bike on this trail. It was way too small for me but I got to see how it handled and how the suspension felt. It felt very good, but I think the shock needed more air for my weight.

There is a local dealer that sells Yeti and Ventana here so I may be doing some more demo's. I would still like to ride an ASR as well. This process is difficult but when I pull the trigger I don't want to wind up like SLinBend and have regrets only to turn around and try to sell the 575 for something else.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    Its been said See post seven! Where's my glass!
    Well, see "never" is a long time and until "never" is reached you can't have been right so the glass could not be yours. If I bought a 575 in 20 years from now then your statement would be wrong. However, if I were to die and tell you so then we could probably safely assume that you are in fact correct. Unless of course there are 575's in Heaven....

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    The ASR is a possibility but it's stuck at 3.7" of travel. The 575 could certainly handle the trails I ride but it's not as precise and flickable as the ASR. There is nothing in the Yeti world that bridges the gap between these 2 bikes.
    I disagree here. With a travel adjust fork, my 575 changes from a slacker, great feeling descending bike to a XCish fast turning machine and my fork only adjusts between 110-140mm.

Regardless that the rear travel doesn't change, just put the RP3 in firm mode and the bike rides like a shorter travel bike.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I disagree here. With a travel adjust fork, my 575 changes from a slacker, great feeling descending bike to a XCish fast turning machine and my fork only adjusts between 110-140mm.

Regardless that the rear travel doesn't change, just put the RP3 in firm mode and the bike rides like a shorter travel bike.
    And that, unfortunately, is something I have not been able to try. The bike I rode last night had a Talas on it but it was so twitchy because of the size that I dare not dial it down. Going from a large long wheelbase to a small short wheelbase is a shock.

Like I said, I am not out, just haven't made the purchase yet and am looking at other options as well. The El Salt is about $800 more and it may not be worth it. The ASR would totally fit, I'm sure, but it would probably not excel much were I to AM ride somewhere else. I just don't know that yet though.

I think though that regardless of the propedal platform setting, less travel in the rear = more snappy feel and more travel = less snappy feel. That seems to be a given regardless of the bike. Some are much better than others though. And to be honest, I think that 575 may have been just as snappy as my FSRxc.

mtbr member

575!

I'm with Jdub here. My philosophy is that you should get a bike that is a perhpas more than you need. A bike you can grow into. You may have a breakin period where it might not seem like the right ride, but you have to let yourself grow into it and find the sweetness. I went from a Ti VooDoo hardtail to the 575, and I'm never looking back.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by goatboy001
    I'm with Jdub here. My philosophy is that you should get a bike that is a perhpas more than you need. A bike you can grow into. You may have a breakin period where it might not seem like the right ride, but you have to let yourself grow into it and find the sweetness. I went from a Ti VooDoo hardtail to the 575, and I'm never looking back.
    Well, here's the thing.... I live in Texas. Texas has no mountains, only hills. There are some trails that are rocky with lots of baby heads and stuff but for the most part these trails are hilly singletrack. I would like to think I will be riding elsewhere from time to time but my reality is that a 575 is overkill for this area.

And this has been what I have wrestled with from the beginning. It doesn't help that SLinBend recently put his new 575 up for sale because he came to the realization that his riding style was more ASR than 575.

I am just weighing my options until I can make the purchase. I need to do a bit more riding on the different bikes to be able to make that choice. I haven't yet defected, just dabbling you know. I can say that 95% of my riding would benefit from a quick, snappy bike that corners like it's on rails. But this is going to be a purchase that hopefully will last me for many years so... there ya go.

Jul 2005

June 2006 I think or maybe july or august

Yes that is my prediction when Mr Iviguy will get his bike but probably not a 575 or even a Yeti. He will make an excuse of costs and justifying why a 575 is better than a Titus or was it better than a Santa Cruz?? or Foes???? or Mongoose or Huffy?????. Get a BACKBONE, please! I am sick of reading your wishy washy why or why not or this is better than that, or should I stay or should I go. Suck it up buddy or GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!

No offense but as you can see I dislike spineless individuals whom cannot make their own decisions but need a stamp of approval from like, everyone in the office including Mom and Dad. Ividude, just look at your posts, same repetitive thing over and over and over....

I really want to like this dude

Tribesman out!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiMonster
    Yes that is my prediction when Mr Iviguy will get his bike but probably not a 575 or even a Yeti. He will make an excuse of costs and justifying why a 575 is better than a Titus or was it better than a Santa Cruz?? or Foes???? or Mongoose or Huffy?????. Get a BACKBONE, please! I am sick of reading your wishy washy why or why not or this is better than that, or should I stay or should I go. Suck it up buddy or GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!

No offense but as you can see I dislike spineless individuals whom cannot make their own decisions but need a stamp of approval from like, everyone in the office including Mom and Dad. Ividude, just look at your posts, same repetitive thing over and over and over....

I really want to like this dude

Tribesman out!
    Hmm, Lets see. How should I respond to this? If you are tired of reading my posts how about not reading them then? Huh? How about that? Or are you one of those people that can't take personal responsibility for their own actions. It's always everyone elses fault, Mr. Iviguy MADE me read his posts. Waaa Waaa Waaaa.

Quit crying. You obviously haven't been reading and following all of my posts or you would absolutely understand where I am at with this thing. I will not spell it out for you again, if you want to know what is taking so long then go back and read my ump-teen posts that explain that. Here's a hint: Check this very thread....

And I would not consider it wishy washy to compare between 3 bikes or even 5. Would you? My first 3 considerations were the Blur LT, Motolite, and 575. I narrowed it down to the 575 but as I stated over and over and over for people like you that don't seem to get it the first time, there is nothing in my riding area that takes advantage of a long travel bike. In fact this has been one of my big dilemmas from the very begining. Several people have suggested the ASR as being a better ride for me, did you follow those posts? One even suggested the El Saltamontes but I wrote it off quickly only to come back around to that bike as a possibility because, get this, it can be a 4" snappy racer or a 5" to 6" AM bike. Wow, that sounds exactly like what I have been looking for, huh.

I want to be liked but honestly to people with rude dispositions I could do without. I will be sure to post pics when I get the bike, which ever it may be, just so you will know that there is no spineless person on this end. I don't need anyone's stamp of approval. But since you are new to the forums, you probably didn't read all the posts or you would have known that several rooted for the ML but I have made my decision on that bike. It's out. And now, so am I.

mtbr member
    Actually, Ivyguy's posts have been quite constructive for some. For instance, they've helped this engineer with his decision: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...88#post1833888

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski-U-Mah
    Actually, Ivyguy's posts have been quite constructive for some. For instance, they've helped this engineer with his decision: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...88#post1833888
    LOL.. I never saw that post. But it just goes to show that it really boils down to personal preference because after my demo ride on the ML as far as I was concerned, that bike was out of the picture. I hated the ride and the very poor paint job was quite disenchanting.

Thanks for the

Feb 2006

575 in Texas

Well, here's the thing.... I live in Texas. Texas has no mountains, only hills. There are some trails that are rocky with lots of baby heads and stuff but for the most part these trails are hilly singletrack. I would like to think I will be riding elsewhere from time to time but my reality is that a 575 is overkill for this area..
    I love my 575 for Austin! It might be different up in Dallas-? I think the best two things about the bike is how versatile it is and it is the best value out there.

good luck!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanerPVT
    I love my 575 for Austin! It might be different up in Dallas-? I think the best two things about the bike is how versatile it is and it is the best value out there.

good luck!
    Now there is some good advice....

If I moved back to Oklahoma (fat chance!) I'd keep my 575 without even thinking twice about it. And the reason I bought the 575 is that it was so versatile and I felt it was the best bike for the money.

I do a lunch loop in Boulder that starts on a bike path, turns to pavement, then to dirt road then back to pavement. I just put my Pike in 110mm mode and the RP3 in firm mode and hit the road. Works just as well on the dirt/paved roads as it does bombing down the singletrack.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Now there is some good advice....

If I moved back to Oklahoma (fat chance!) I'd keep my 575 without even thinking twice about it. And the reason I bought the 575 is that it was so versatile and I felt it was the best bike for the money.

I do a lunch loop in Boulder that starts on a bike path, turns to pavement, then to dirt road then back to pavement. I just put my Pike in 110mm mode and the RP3 in firm mode and hit the road. Works just as well on the dirt/paved roads as it does bombing down the singletrack.
    FYI - I demo'd an X-5 today. I wasn't really inspired by it. It rode fine but no better or worse than the 575. Probably not as plush but there wasn't a whole lot of chatter on the trail I rode. I really didn't like the cable arrangement on the top tube either. It was really kind of ugly.

Now the next bike I plan to try is the Iron Horse Warrior. I can probably get 4 of those in different colors for the price of the 575.

I got a quote from the LBS for the 575 as well.... it's getting close......

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    Just get the damn thing already!!!!!! All this time wasted on trying new and different bikes......
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

In my mind, I can do it!

I'll start off...

Ready.....
    Set.....
    BANG!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanoldo
    I'm going with June 8, 2006. It just seems like a nice day......... That's a mighty fine looking pint glass, a Black Butte Porter will look good in it and should really bring out that fine Yeti logo...

Dean
    Hmm, June 8th or June 10th.. It's gonna be close. I think the next without going over is Aug 14th or something like that. If it gets here on the 9th, won't that be a kicker...??

mtbr member
    Sooo... is it the closest, or the closest without going over that wins? If it is the latter, and it comes June 11th or later, it looks like I win!!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Sooo... is it the closest, or the closest without going over that wins? If it is the latter, and it comes June 11th or later, it looks like I win!!
    I think the original post says its the closest without going over. I haven't taken posession yet though so we will just have to wait and see.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004

So...

all it took was for me to tell him to buy one and then a week later......Hell, I just need to win the lottery.......buy a ticket already!
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    So what color scheme/build did you get ivi? Is it a screamin' deal, or what?

Fill us in!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath

Fill us in!
    That would ruin the surprise.... I wanted to get it in and all setup, take some pics and stuff. I kept you guys in suspense for this long, you don't think that I would just dump it all at once do ya...

I will say this... In the end, I chose to sacrafice some wants to get a deal. Yeah, so the color isn't what I wanted... ok... I'll live with it.

cbh

Sep 2005
    So I take it that you decided to work w/ Clarence and the Duck? If so, good choice. You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Finally !

Um . . . is it too late for me to pick a date?

Ant

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh
    So I take it that you decided to work w/ Clarence and the Duck? If so, good choice. You won't be disappointed.
    no, actually I purchased through Will at Fullcycles. I talked with Clarence and really wanted to work it out with him but this came along and a $1000 off is a $1000 off you know... Some deals just can't be passed up.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath

Fill us in!
    Now for the big dilemma... what color CK headset should I put on this bike? Can't be black, or silver... Needs to be some stand out color. Maybe someone can start a thread "The OFFICIAL "When will iviguy finally get his CK Headset?" contest".

Aug 2004
    WAIT!!!!!

So iviguy is really getting a 575!?!?!

In my mind, I can do it!
    WAIT!!!!!

So iviguy is really getting a 575!?!?!

You doubted me? I'm so hurt now...

Next thing you know I'll be moving out to Boise.... Don't laugh.... It's been discussed!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Congrats. I think you'll love the bike. When I jumped from my 26lb 4" bike to the 575 it took me a couple months to get used to the added weight and slower rolling tires I was running, but now I absolutely love it.

Glad you're going to get it and start riding before summer has come and gone. Of course in Texas you only have two seasons, January and Summer so you'll be fine....

Aug 2004
    You doubted me? I'm so hurt now...
    Where's the damn "I'm finally getting a 575!!!" thread then!?!?!!?

Next thing you know I'll be moving out to Boise.... Don't laugh.... It's been discussed!
    We'll be happy to have you here. You can join us in my not-so-weekly post-ride get-togethers on Wednesday nights:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=194852

In my mind, I can do it!
    Congrats. I think you'll love the bike. When I jumped from my 26lb 4" bike to the 575 it took me a couple months to get used to the added weight and slower rolling tires I was running, but now I absolutely love it.

Glad you're going to get it and start riding before summer has come and gone. Of course in Texas you only have two seasons, January and Summer so you'll be fine....
    I think the added weight won't be much over what I have now. My current bike is about 28# on the dot. I bet this won't be much more if any. I went with the CrossMark tires because they are a very fast rolling tire and they seem to get really good reviews on traction as well.

The perfect riding season in Texas is definately not Summer. It's dang hot and muggy. Fall and spring are much better. But that's ok. I'll take what I can get. In Dallas the 2 seasons are rain and summer... I guess summer it is.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Where's the damn "I'm finally getting a 575!!!" thread then!?!?!!?
    When I get it and have pics I think I will post a thread entitled something like, "FINALLY! Now where are all those doubters and nay sayers?"... Or "I finally got my 575, Help me convince BelaySlave to send me a Yeti glass.."

We'll be happy to have you here. You can join us in my not-so-weekly post-ride get-togethers on Wednesday nights:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=194852
    Well, the deal is my sister and her family live in Boise and we are a little concerned with how the school system is here and the bad influence that is possible on the kiddos. When we visited Boise it had the small town appeal but really wasn't that small. I didn't see any economic ruin there either but don't know much about the school system. It looked like a nice place to live and being close so the kids can get to know their cousins is appealing as well.

Shortly after my sister and her family moved there, our cousin and her family also moved there and her dad, my uncle, bought a house there so he could see the grandkids and my brother in law's mom moved there as well. Seems that the family is migrating that direction....

It would depend on a few things. A job for one, my wife is a teacher so that wouldn't be a problem except it's an automatic $8k loss of salery here to there. I would say if its going to happen it would be in a couple of years. I'll get a thread going in the Idaho forum and maybe someone can start an OFFICIAL When will iviguy finally move to Boise thread.

Aug 2004
    Well, the deal is my sister and her family live in Boise and we are a little concerned with how the school system is here and the bad influence that is possible on the kiddos. When we visited Boise it had the small town appeal but really wasn't that small. I didn't see any economic ruin there either but don't know much about the school system. It looked like a nice place to live and being close so the kids can get to know their cousins is appealing as well.
    I'm the last guy you want to solicit opinions on about the school system here in the valley cuz I ain't got no kids....errr that I know of! But through my various climbing wall jobs I've had over the years, I've dealt with kids from a number of area schools, so that's about as qualified as I get.

Just like any other place in America, your schools are gonna be a mix of really good kids, unfortunately some really bad kids and everything in between. Boise, Idaho is definately not immune to societal ills, but it's probably not as big or magnified as say Los Angeles or Dallas.

Shortly after my sister and her family moved there, our cousin and her family also moved there and her dad, my uncle, bought a house there so he could see the grandkids and my brother in law's mom moved there as well. Seems that the family is migrating that direction....
    You are from Dallas right? Did your family have any ties to Idaho prior to them moving here?

-----------

So what made you pull the trigger? You've hemmed and hawed over this decision for quite some time. I try to keep tabs on the Yeti forum each day, but I don't recall you ever officially mentioning that you had finally decided to get the 575.

In my mind, I can do it!
    You are from Dallas right? Did your family have any ties to Idaho prior to them moving here?
    I am in the north Dallas area. McKinney TX to be exact. My sister and her family had no ties to Boise whatsoever. They did some thing on a website to find the perfect place for them to live and it told them Boise. They just picked up and moved after finding a house. How funny is that?

-----------

So what made you pull the trigger? You've hemmed and hawed over this decision for quite some time. I try to keep tabs on the Yeti forum each day, but I don't recall you ever officially mentioning that you had finally decided to get the 575.
    Like stated several times the big issue was the money. But you know what happens, if its in the bank it gets spent. I couldn't get ahead on it, I would save some back and something comes up. Over and over. I saw deals come and go and while doing all of this I was passing the time by trying to make sure this was the bike for me.

I had already talked with my LBS about getting a race disk and was about to work out a deal with him where I could pay 2/3 of the price and pay the rest over 90 days and came across this other deal where 2/3 of the price I was going to pay was about 100% the price for this bike. I had the money, I couldn't pass up on the deal. It just worked out.

It might also have been stoked a bit when I went with my riding buddy on Sunday and he bought a new Superlight. I can't be out done here you know. That Superlight is a nice bike but I think the Yeti will ride circles around it.

You know, the thing that has always bothered me also is the whole 5.75" of travel in this area. I decided I just had to get past the "thought" of that being overkill and realize that the demo I rode felt very nice. It didn't feel like overkill, it just felt nice. I put some fast tires on it and the fork is a stable platform fork (I'm not telling until I get it in but it's gonna be sweet...) so I think all in all it will be just perfect. And it better because my wife will kill me if it isn't.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone. If money wasn't an issue I would have been riding this bike for about 4 months now.

mtbr member

Good job! This calls for a toast

I propose a toast to celebrate. But first, I need to buy this for myself:

http://www.yeticycles.com/Store/Deta...42&category=10

And I need one of these so I think I'll buy it too:

http://www.yeticycles.com/Store/Deta...06&category=10

Enjoy!

j

mtbr member
    no, actually I purchased through Will at Fullcycles. I talked with Clarence and really wanted to work it out with him but this came along and a $1000 off is a $1000 off you know... Some deals just can't be passed up.

Those guys rock!! That's where I got mine built. I'm a local so I could see your build first hand. But I won't take spy pics and post them without your permission When does it ship out?

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rktpacnwest
    Those guys rock!! That's where I got mine built. I'm a local so I could see your build first hand. But I won't take spy pics and post them without your permission When does it ship out?
    Unless you got in this morning and looked at it then you missed your chance. It's on the way now. I have the tracking number and it's supposed to get here on the 7th. Assuming that is the way this works out I am sure there is someone very anxious to get their Yeti glass.

I'm just stoked. This week is going to be very long. The 7th just isn't going to come fast enough.

I will post pics the moment I get it.

cbh

Sep 2005
    Congrats iviguy. I think you'll like the Crosmarks. I have one on the back and like it much better than the Python. It seems to be a good all around tire and works well at Northshore or Boulder as well the smooth fast stuff. Now that you have your bike you'll be amazed at how many people on Yetis that you see around here.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh
    Congrats iviguy. I think you'll like the Crosmarks. I have one on the back and like it much better than the Python. It seems to be a good all around tire and works well at Northshore or Boulder as well the smooth fast stuff. Now that you have your bike you'll be amazed at how many people on Yetis that you see around here.
    I talked a friend of mine into getting the crossmarks on his new bike and he seemed to like them so I am sure I will too.

The tracking number says that the bike left Albany, OR yesterday.... It should be here on the 7th. I couldn't sleep last night and kept waking up to the thought of bike related stuff. This is going to be a long week...

mtbr member
    I will post pics the moment I get it.
    I think you mean "I will ride it until I bonk the moment I get it, then post pics after i recover".

Ant

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    I think you mean "I will ride it until I bonk the moment I get it, then post pics after i recover".

Ant
    LOL.. Maybe, but I will at least get some pics of it in the box before I ride it...

Aug 2004
    ....I'm going to count on the Fed's red tape to send that check a week later and will say June 3rd.

JUNE 3RD 2006 !!!
    If iviguy's Yeti comes on the 7th like he think it will, then I do believe k1creeker will be the winner of the beer glass. But let's wait until iviguy actually gets the damn bike!

I guess I better go buy that beer glass soon...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Will spilled the beans!!!

I actually have trolled for sometime and pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago. Will did not have my color choice in my size in stock so it took 2 weeks. UPS ground is tough.

I have gotten 2 rides so far about 25 miles. It came yesterday at 3 pm. I had to go with Team color in size M with race disk. Boy it felt light out of the box. It took me 45 minutes to unpack and put new tires on. I tested air pressures and first went with body weight - 15. Then rode today with body weight - 5. I actually prefered this and with negative propedal or middle. The plus is too much. The travel fells endless and I used it all.

Will did hook me up, however not quite as well as you. Unfortunately UPS bent the chainring, I tried to bend straight. Will offered to fix it no questions. He came clean on your choice......... size Large in ?????

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    I actually have trolled for sometime and pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago. Will did not have my color choice in my size in stock so it took 2 weeks. UPS ground is tough.

I have gotten 2 rides so far about 25 miles. It came yesterday at 3 pm. I had to go with Team color in size M with race disk. Boy it felt light out of the box. It took me 45 minutes to unpack and put new tires on. I tested air pressures and first went with body weight - 15. Then rode today with body weight - 5. I actually prefered this and with negative propedal or middle. The plus is too much. The travel fells endless and I used it all.

Will did hook me up, however not quite as well as you. Unfortunately UPS bent the chainring, I tried to bend straight. Will offered to fix it no questions. He came clean on your choice......... size Large in ?????
    LOL.. It's ok. I have dropped enough hints people should be able to figure it out. I just wanted to post pics with the details when I get it.

Will Definately DID hook me up on this one. I couldn't let it pass me by and if you know the specifics then you know how much of a hook up it was. Great deal, really.

In my mind, I can do it!
    If iviguy's Yeti comes on the 7th like he think it will, then I do believe k1creeker will be the winner of the beer glass. But let's wait until iviguy actually gets the damn bike!

I guess I better go buy that beer glass soon...
    You're going to have to come clean here.... You didn't think you were ever going to have to give a Yeti glass away now did you? If that is the case, I think you should order 2 and send one to me for your lack of faith... I'm sure you would want to make a good impression on the newest member of the tribe....

surly inbred
    Your avatar is really creeping me out. Reminds me too much of this guy..

5 x 5

Bumbles bounce!

Ding!

Congrats, iviguy.

time for a new thread... the official 'when will iviguy make his first road trip to moab' thread.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harp
    Your avatar is really creeping me out. Reminds me too much of this guy..

That's not a yeti... That's a Bumble. Bumble's bounce...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    Ding!

Congrats, iviguy.

time for a new thread... the official 'when will iviguy make his first road trip to moab' thread.
    LOL... Sounds fun to me. I would have to convince the wife though and I am the only one in this family that rides.... bummer.

surly inbred
    That's not a yeti... That's a Bumble. Bumble's bounce...
    Didn't anyone watch the Christmas special?

abominable snowman, people!

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harp
    Didn't anyone watch the Christmas special?

abominable snowman, people!
    Yes, but Yukon Jack called him a Bumble...

Tribe of one
    Congratulations with making the commitment and purchase. Iíve been lurking over the past couple of months and have enjoyed reading the extensive research and issues raised for the Yeti 575. It helped to confirm decision my while waiting to take delivery. I think it would be considered cheating if I tried to slip a date June 7th in now. Hope you get it sooner.

EDR
    ooooop[s
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 06-03-2006 at 10:09 PM.

EDR
    Like I said in our pm...match the ck headset with the blue flash of the rp3, plus it looks great with your frame color. When it's time for a fork seal rebuild you can get blue Enduro wipers that match very well also with the blue ck. ( i put those on my zoke on the xc bike as well as the blue ck)

Jul 2005

So Sorry

Iviguy-

I apologize for doubting you and calling you spineless. I never seen someone research and review a bicycle with such relentless passion. You must have every issue of every available mt bike mags at home I hope you do not take this long purchasing cars. As you see, this is the "one" bike. All mountain, all epic, all unique. I do not think it's handling is as crisp like a hardtail but there in lies the trade offs. Either way welcome, congrats and hope you spend more time riding than posting. Keep in short and sweet. My apologies to you and the reviewers of this post.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiMonster
    Iviguy-

I apologize for doubting you and calling you spineless. I never seen someone research and review a bicycle with such relentless passion.
    It was simply obsessing until the right deal came along and the money was there to spend. I started out wanting the 575 and started the process of saving for it. In that process I started comparing it to other bikes, the ML and the BLT, still not having enough to make the purchase mind you. As I got deeper into that the ASR came into view and then Ventana... But I came full circle back to where I started. If I would have had the cash when I started the process I probably would have been enjoying the Yeti for some time now.

But the good thing is that I learned a whole lot and a lot of knowledge was shared from others and maybe some have benefited from it. Now I can't wait to take it out on my favorite trails and see how it performs.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Like I said in our pm...match the ck headset with the blue flash of the rp3, plus it looks great with your frame color. When it's time for a fork seal rebuild you can get blue Enduro wipers that match very well also with the blue ck. ( i put those on my zoke on the xc bike as well as the blue ck)
    I think the blue would really look great. My dilemma on this issue now is should I buy the CK which I know full well is nothing more than adding a touch of "bling" to the bike or should I use that money to buy a repair stand which I don't have and would actually be useful. CK has really got the market thinking that a high end bike simply must have a CK headset.... But it would look really cool... I can't do both so I'll have to figure it out in the next few days.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bike flyer
    Congratulations with making the commitment and purchase. Iíve been lurking over the past couple of months and have enjoyed reading the extensive research and issues raised for the Yeti 575. It helped to confirm decision my while waiting to take delivery. I think it would be considered cheating if I tried to slip a date June 7th in now. Hope you get it sooner.
    Thanks. Glad some of the extensive, over the top research has helped someone out. The UPS tracking says the it's supposed to be ontime... I will be really disappointed if that is not the case....

EDR
    Get a repair stand over the headset, it's far more valuable if you plan on doing your own wrenching. Working on a bike without some type of stand is a real PITA. The ck is nothing more than bling that most people don't even notice any more (imo) b/c everyone and their mother has one. I think the fashion gods in fact have done a 180 and NOT having a ck is now the hip choice, whatever....My advice: Get what you need now..get what you want for bling later.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Get a repair stand over the headset, it's far more valuable if you plan on doing your own wrenching. Working on a bike without some type of stand is a real PITA. The ck is nothing more than bling that most people don't even notice any more (imo) b/c everyone and their mother has one. I think the fashion gods in fact have done a 180 and NOT having a ck is now the hip choice, whatever....My advice: Get what you need now..get what you want for bling later.
    Yeah, logically this is the decision I come to as well... Vanity is tugging at me though. I really need a stand, it will pay for itself in so many ways when I start doing my own wrenching and not having to pay the LBS too. But man, that blue CK headset sure would look purty on this bike....

I think you are right though. Everyone has one and because of that the value of having one is a bit diminished - vanity wise.

mtbr member

I agree with EDR

Yeah, logically this is the decision I come to as well... Vanity is tugging at me though. I really need a stand, it will pay for itself in so many ways when I start doing my own wrenching and not having to pay the LBS too. But man, that blue CK headset sure would look purty on this bike....

I think you are right though. Everyone has one and because of that the value of having one is a bit diminished - vanity wise.
    Get the workstand. There is also a chance that the CK headset and the RS Rev fork crown may not entire cleanr your downtube. There is really no choice with the CK except to get a Ventana spacer. With the stock CC S2 headset, you can get a 5mm longer lower cup for $10 for extra clearance....

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Get the workstand. There is also a chance that the CK headset and the RS Rev fork crown may not entire cleanr your downtube. There is really no choice with the CK except to get a Ventana spacer. With the stock CC S2 headset, you can get a 5mm longer lower cup for $10 for extra clearance....
    Good info. Yeah, I agree too. I have defended the whole headset issue before that a CK is nothing but vanity for 90% of the riders out there. It would be nothing but a vanity badge on this bike as well. I hate not having a repair stand. It sucks trying to do certain things by hanging the bike on my bike carrier. It's just not a stable place for it.

It looks like I can get a BRS 70B for about $120 so I'll probably go that route.

EDR

It looks like I can get a BRS 70B for about $120 so I'll probably go that route.
    The brs70 is a great stand at that price but shop around. I got mine for $89 by happenstance from Jenson.

Bluesky has it for $94. Be sure to check s/h charges though...you can get Jenson or Performance to price match this price easily if you feel more comfortable shopping with them.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/search.php?search_key=brs

In my mind, I can do it!
    The brs70 is a great stand at that price but shop around. I got mine for $89 by happenstance from Jenson.

Bluesky has it for $94. Be sure to check s/h charges though...you can get Jenson or Performance to price match this price easily if you feel more comfortable shopping with them.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/search.php?search_key=brs
    That is a great price. Thanks.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Good info. Yeah, I agree too. I have defended the whole headset issue before that a CK is nothing but vanity for 90% of the riders out there. It would be nothing but a vanity badge on this bike as well. I hate not having a repair stand. It sucks trying to do certain things by hanging the bike on my bike carrier. It's just not a stable place for it.

I got a bike stand (Park as I prefer their clamping mechanism) for Christmas one year, and its one of the most used items I own. I always have a bike in the stand, and sometimes wish I had two stands.

And on the CK note...
    I think they are definitely the best headset going, but will most of us have the bike long enough to wear out a "lesser" headset? Probably not. I used a Cane Creek headset on my old bike and it worked flawlessly for lots of years.

At the repair rate the LBS charge, you could pretty quickly save enough money doing your own wrenching to buy that CK headset. My sister was going to get her road bike tuned and drivetrain cleaned at a LBS here the other day and they quoted her $85 plus any parts. So I had her drop it off at my house and buy me a botel of Pedros Degreaser, so I'll be doing the tuning/cleaning now.

Time is not a road.
    My wife's bike is a bit dirty from Moab...I swing by, say 6?

In my mind, I can do it!
    I got a bike stand (Park as I prefer their clamping mechanism) for Christmas one year, and its one of the most used items I own. I always have a bike in the stand, and sometimes wish I had two stands.

And on the CK note...
    I think they are definitely the best headset going, but will most of us have the bike long enough to wear out a "lesser" headset? Probably not. I used a Cane Creek headset on my old bike and it worked flawlessly for lots of years.

At the repair rate the LBS charge, you could pretty quickly save enough money doing your own wrenching to buy that CK headset. My sister was going to get her road bike tuned and drivetrain cleaned at a LBS here the other day and they quoted her $85 plus any parts. So I had her drop it off at my house and buy me a botel of Pedros Degreaser, so I'll be doing the tuning/cleaning now.
    Yeah, the time has come. I have too many bikes now not to have a stand. I have an old GT which may become a SS some day, I have my current FSRxc which can be a secondary bike or maybe something to learn how to wrench on, I now have a roadie as well and of course the 575 coming in on Wednesday. I need a repair stand... so the CK will just have to wait.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    My wife's bike is a bit dirty from Moab...I swing by, say 6?
    Sure. We'll pull some parts and get them soaking and then go hit Hall Ranch.

Just let me know anything I can do to help out the new President of MHTA....

Members who have read this thread: 0