No more Yeti for me .- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

No more Yeti for me .

You guys know I loved my 95C, when it was new the bike was really stiff and worked well , ( once I installed the Pike fork and valved the rear shock to work, then I was really in love ).
    After a few rides I started having issues with the paint on the bike chipping this happened while riding on the street for 2 months as I was recovering from a car accident. I called Yeti and described the chipping from frame flex because the bike had never been down as I was riding only on the street. I got no help from Yeti and in fact they really did not want to talk to me at all on the phone , they were very short and rude and did not care at all.
    Then 2 months ago I started getting a major amount of flex in the main frame and in the rear triangle ( it was obvious my frame set was week )
    thats why all the chipped paint and cracking around the aluminum mounting boss.
    I got ahold of Matt Fisher in warranty again and he really did not care one way or the other , told me to take the bike to a Yeti dealer which I did. The dealer saw the paint flaking off the frame and called yeti and yeti said it looks like crash damage on the rear section and possibly a crack and would provide no warranty. Yeti knew about the paint chipping off my bike months ago yet the are using it as an excuse now not to warranty my frame and rear section that flexes. I really feel like I was thrown under the bus and blackballed by Yeti.

So Matt Fisher turned down any warranty but he said he would replace the crashed rear section for me for $600 dollars and said nothing about the frame .

So I got about 7 months use out of the best bike that Yeti makes and I have no warranty help on a defective frame set.

Thats a $3K Frame paper weight in my opinion .

So I just wanted to let you guys know that Yeti does not take care of all their customers , I know there is a lot of you guys on the 66C and the 95C that got new frame sets for some of theses same issues I currently have but Yeti will not even return my e-mails at this point. I would really like Yeti the be a standup company the way Niner, Specialized and Santa cruz does with frame warranty issues. I had every expectation that if I had a true warranty problem I would get honest help but that has been far from the reality with Yeti. This in now a matter of principal and I would ideally like Yeti to stand behind their product. I am attaching a video showing the flex and the way I rebuilt the bike and tested for the flex.

I also talked to another Yeti dealer in AZ that agreed with me and said that Yeti was really difficult to work with on warranty issues and he would not sell them any more because of their bad customer service .

So I have been Demoing other bikes again getting ready to buy another bike to replace this 7 month use bike . ( actually I will need two bikes now )

It looks like Im down to the Niner Rip 9 , the Specialized Enduro 29 and the Santa Cruz Tall boy LTC.

I will still be on here because you guys are some good friends,... and bear I am working on your Yeti Tools now , I have not forgot about you

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/87892499" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/87892499">Yeti SB95C Flexi Flyer</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user7045432">kelstr</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member
    Your move Yeti.

******ed or Branded??
    wow, never heard of yeti being such a lack luster of a company with their customers. I hope the fix this problem for you. I just got my hands on one of the few last 66c from them and currently building it up, waiting for parts, and hope I get no flexing and chipping like your frame did. If it does they better warranty it especially I just got the frame.

Good luck and I'll spread the word and hope Yeti does something productive for you.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    *Edited because I was wrong*

Yeti handled mine in a way that made me a customer for life, but that was back when Nate handled claims. He was awesome; hopefully he moved up and not out. Like you, I don't have a Yeti dealer within several hours either.

Either way, I'm (Now un)subscribed. Good luck.
    Last edited by bpnic; 04-03-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

No more Yeti for me .

Doesn't look crashed at all in that video... Very interested to see the outcome of this.

Extremely poor form for just brushing you off.

Chilling out
    I'm really sorry to see this, it's very unfortunate.

But like the man says, "if the bike ain't right it's not worth fighting - find the right bike"

Eventually JP will notice this and I'd be surprised if he *doesn't* have something to say, privately at least, but it's still poopy.

*and thanks.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010

No more Yeti for me .

Kelstr: I'm very saddened to see this. You've been an SB95c evangelist since day 1. I've learned a vast amount from you and your videos.

I personally would really appreciate it if you keep us up to date on what is causing all of the flex (when you figure it out). I weigh 75 pounds more than you do so it has me worried! My bike was one of the very first that were in the original air shipment.

I hope Yeti is listening. It is apparent from your videos that you are more than diligent (they would be remiss if they did not go through your vimeo channel and watch all of the videos you've posted for us in the SB95c thread over the past year). .

Cheers and thanks.

.mobile

mtbr member
    May 2011
    wow never heard of this before. Definitely crazy that the tire will rub on the triangle when pedaling, wtf?!

Hope you get this resolved with Yeti.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Hey guys-

I'm going to try to get some more info on this today and move things in a positive direction, but just wanted to comment on one thing quickly...

The OP seems very disappointed that Matt Fisher did not reply to several of his personal emails/calls. One thing to understand here, guys - we sell well over 10,000 bikes in a year, and our warranty department has a staff of one guy - Matt. We all wish that wasn't the case, but unless you want to shell out a lot more for each bike to pay for additional staff, the situation is what it is.

So what's the solution? We work very hard to vet and recruit the best possible dealers worldwide. They are in place and educated on our products to handle exactly this sort of issue, and that's why our warranty policy states very clearly that our customers need to run their warranty and service requests through their shop. It truly sucks if you don't have one within X number of hours of your house, but what do you propose as a solution? Clearly, expecting Matt to personally deal with every single customer we sell bikes to worldwide is not feasible.

For my part, I do my best to chime in on MTBR and other forums when I get a moment, but again, I'm a one-man staff to handle roughly half of Yeti's annual sales (my sales territory is every country in the world except the USA). Just as I come on here and try to help in my 'free time', so does Matt try to help the occasional customer one-on-one in his 'free time', because we care about our brand and feel a strong sense of gratitude to our customers.

I realize not every case is going to be handled to each of your satisfaction, and everyone's going to want something a little different, but I think it all has to start with a reasonable understanding of the situation, realistic expectations of service, and the following of the protocol we lay out very clearly in our warranty documentation.

Again, I'll try to provide more info when I have it (and have some 'free time').

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Matt's been very helpful to me. Gives the impression of being everything I want from Yeti - caring, knowledgeable, helpful.

YMMV
    303 WC :cool:

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If Yeti does sell that many bikes, then maybe the warranty department should be more than one person. As to the cost of that, the way I see it Yetis already have a price premium, so you are looking for that service.

FWIW, my warranty service (x2 on my 5) was great, no complaints. But I did get impression that the way to go was through dealer, not contacting Yeti directly.

Kelstr - genuinely sucks about your bike. I know early on you were a big fan. But I gotta think that video of you modifying pivot shafts isn't going to help your case. Was the bike always flexy?

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    If Yeti does sell that many bikes, then maybe the warranty department should be more than one person. As to the cost of that, the way I see it Yetis already have a price premium, so you are looking for that service.
    Honest question - where would you recommend we cut back to afford this sort of thing? It's not like we're burning money someplace else, and I can assure you no one's getting rich around here ... I offer up my 1996 Toyota T100 with 225,000 miles as Exhibit A, and my 2013 W-2 as the smoking gun.

FWIW, my warranty service (x2 on my 5) was great, no complaints. But I did get impression that the way to go was through dealer, not contacting Yeti directly.
    Glad to hear you were well taken care of. And I'm also glad you got the impression that you were supposed to go through a dealer, as that's literally the only way we can process a warranty claim.

Cheers,

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Kelstr, hope the problem gets resolved for you. JP is right though, that going through the LBS is the way to go. My LBS handled everything with Yeti/Matt when it came to my fork and it was a non-issue for me. IMO, your LBS should clearly see the frame flex and send it back due to that problem. IMO, the LBS should take charge of this.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    All-

I had a lot of back and forth with Matt this morning about this issue.

Anyway, suffice it to say that there's a lot to this story that is untold by the original post and video. And while it's always fun to watch a good ol' internet fight break out, on behalf of Yeti, I'd rather take the high road here, and just apologize that we did not meet Kelstr/Kelly's expectations and wish him all the best.

In Matt's personal defense, he showed me a time/date-stamped email transcript of more than 10 messages he sent to Kelly answering every question that was asked. I find it hard to believe that someone would be less than truthful when posting about a bad customer service experience on the internet, so I'll give Kelstr the benefit of the doubt here and assume he must have a hyperactive spam filter that prevented these messages from being delivered.

At the end of the day, we're proud of our reputation for superb customer service, and countless emails, phone calls, and posts in these very pages support this claim. In this particular instance, we went well beyond our contractual warranty obligations and made offers that were not accepted. That's a bummer, but we respect the customer's decision and wish him well in the future.

Peace guys,

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Anyway, suffice it to say that there's a lot to this story that is untold by the original post and video.
    I had a feeling that this was the case

mtbr member
    This is getting good

Linoleum Knife
    I find it hard to believe that someone would be less than truthful when posting about a bad customer service experience on the internet,
    Bwahahahah.
    So... you're new to this whole "internet" thing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone else experienced this flex? Not going to point fingers or blame etc, but while kelstr's machining skills are impressive, I could see how his possible tinkering could plausibly end with some unforeseen issues. Again, I've much appreciated kelstrs contributions here, they definitely helped me make my decision to buy my SB95c, but in an effort to not freak myself out here after picking up my bike two months ago, I'm trying to be cautious and careful before I reach any conclusions here. That said, I'm paying close attention to this thread.

mtbr member
    Sorry to see you go Kelstr, I hope we do get to ride together one day though!

All the best and although I'm surprised that it didn't work out initially, I hope you can find some sort of solution as, I myself, have had nothing but great things to say about my dealings with Yeti and their warranty department.

What is the problem with these frames that necessitates getting into a warranty claim in the first place?

Honestly, I would like to know - I'm due for a new frame soon and the SB95 is definitely on my list.

I see the OP obviously has pretty bad flex issue with the rear triangle but what is the cause of it?

mtbr member
    Sorry you're having issues OP.

I personally have had a good experience with Yeti customer service when it came to a warranty issue with my fork on my 575. Again though, I went through my LBS here that I purchased the bike from and everything was handled quickly and painlessly.

Hope you get it figured out!
    Ride: 2016 Yeti SB5.5c
    Retired: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    I had a feeling that this was the case
    Almost always is, two sides to everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by (Tom) View Post
    What is the problem with these frames that necessitates getting into a warranty claim in the first place?

Honestly, I would like to know - I'm due for a new frame soon and the SB95 is definitely on my list.

I see the OP obviously has pretty bad flex issue with the rear triangle but what is the cause of it?
    I'm happy to say (but gutted for Kel!) that mine does not do this, I know, I just ran into my garage to check in a state of panic! The SB95c is probably the most stiff bike I've owned and ridden.

My personal experience was a freak case of flaky lacquer which was handled quickly and efficiently by Yeti and the UK importer. It was not the same issue as Kelstr has experienced, it was a one off and I couldn't be happier with the results.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    All-

I had a lot of back and forth with Matt this morning about this issue.

Anyway, suffice it to say that there's a lot to this story that is untold by the original post and video. And while it's always fun to watch a good ol' internet fight break out, on behalf of Yeti, I'd rather take the high road here, and just apologize that we did not meet Kelstr/Kelly's expectations and wish him all the best.

In Matt's personal defense, he showed me a time/date-stamped email transcript of more than 10 messages he sent to Kelly answering every question that was asked. I find it hard to believe that someone would be less than truthful when posting about a bad customer service experience on the internet, so I'll give Kelstr the benefit of the doubt here and assume he must have a hyperactive spam filter that prevented these messages from being delivered.

At the end of the day, we're proud of our reputation for superb customer service, and countless emails, phone calls, and posts in these very pages support this claim. In this particular instance, we went well beyond our contractual warranty obligations and made offers that were not accepted. That's a bummer, but we respect the customer's decision and wish him well in the future.

Peace guys,

JP
    JP,

Respectfully, I appreciate the dialogue but Matt DID NOT answer all of my emails and that was a large part of my frustration. My integrity is very much in tact in being honest as to my side of the story. I also have all copies of emails. I will also take the high road and not even say how I feel about my integrity being impugned over falsehoods. I am in no way shape or form trying to start an internet war. I would just like a fair resolution. I am a dedicated mnt biker that feels that he has been thrown under the bus and blackballed to resolve a legitimate warranty issue.

On two occasions, my bike was in the LBS for review of the warranty issue. I must have a misunderstanding of your contractual warranty obligations. I was told by the LBS message conveyed by Matt that the paint flake on the rear triangle was caused from a crash and for $600.00 I would be sent a new rear triangle. My warranty issue is flex in the switch pivot portion of the frame and the rear triangle.

The offers that were made and not accepted would not have fixed my bike. That to me is unacceptable. I am glad to hear that others are getting premier customer service and are happy but unfortunately that has not been my experience as of yet. Thank you JP for responding and hearing my concerns

Kelly

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

No more Yeti for me .

Eye opening thread. I would have assumed that if you pay for a premium frame you would expect premium service not to have your integrity questioned.

Extremely poor form.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Kelstr - genuinely sucks about your bike. I know early on you were a big fan. But I gotta think that video of you modifying pivot shafts isn't going to help your case. Was the bike always flexy?
    I am still really impressed with the 95 and love the way it works ( without the flex of course )

I built the bike back with all OEM parts and no mods what so ever because I knew I had a frame set problem and wanted it all as designed

I did the work because I wanted it all correctly done , this does take special tools and lots of care that shops do not have , and the SB bikes also have a very special "Torque" procedure on assembly that most shops have not seen before , I videoed the rebuild and the "Torque procedure" so I had proof that it was all OEM and all done according to the Yeti procedure

I am seeing now that the bike would really benefit from Two Bearings in the switch axle like the 66 has , I was thinking out loud of making a better bushing , but now I see that a duel bearing set up would be the better bet .

When I mod one with the 6809 bearing in the left side like the 66 I will video it , the dual bearing will really take the twist and walking out of the switch axle and make the bike smoother and stiffer

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Sorry to see you go Kelstr, I hope we do get to ride together one day though!

All the best and although I'm surprised that it didn't work out initially, I hope you can find some sort of solution as, I myself, have had nothing but great things to say about my dealings with Yeti and their warranty department.
    I won't ever leave Just J, I love you guys in the Yeti forum , and we will ride together some day

mtbr member
    It seems to me like this is that unusual case where two parties were acting in good faith but neither believed the other was doing so. I hate to see somebody like Kelstr shortchanged because he seems like a very thoughtful, well meaning and honest person. In fact, even though he is acting friom the frustration of having a faulty bike, he continually complements the same bike and even marvels heat how good a manual YETI produced in another video. At the same time, YETI has proven over the years to be a great company that cares profoundly about Mountain Biking and the people that practice the sport. JP in my view represents those values well in the many posts where he tries to help YETI owners.

I wish Kelstr did not have to go through this. It only proves that a good customer and a good company does not necessarily mean a good experience for the buyer. I hope sincerely that this does no hapen to Kelstr again and that YETI does not have many of these situations because fair or not it can hurt the brand a bit with some of its loyal followers.

I, for one, am ecstatic with my new SB66c and could not be happier with the company that produced it. It is just too bad that is not the experience Kelstr has had, he seem to be the kind of guy that deserved better.

My 0.2 cents.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Kelstr: In your opinion, where/what is the play/flex coming from/being caused by?

cheers,
    Ed

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bummer about your troubles. That thing looks like an over-complicated POS.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    That thing looks like an over-complicated POS.
    Actually, it's not.

But, if given enough time, I'm sure someone could explain it to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    [QUOTE=marc.t;11079001]Has anyone else experienced this flex?

I have on mine. I have 2 other bikes (non carbon/26er) 2004 Enduro and 2012 Safire (wife's) and on the safire there is very little flex. Non on the enduro. I am no engineer but I assume that the chainstays being longer can contribute to the flex. Wish YETI engineers had an explanation. Maybe is part of the design.

has anyone else checked their bike (non yeti) and see if they can mimic the same flex?

PS: By the way, I have no complaints on the bike. It is an awesome steed capable of anything that you can trow at it. Keep the great bikes coming out.
    Last edited by FIKO; 03-22-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: FORGOT To ADD SOMEHTING

mtbr member
    Yup like I said, I tired last night and nothing. I'm 220lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yup like I said, I tired last night and nothing. I'm 220lbs.[/QUOTE]

Guess is a 1st batch issue (defect). I am going to contact the dealer ans see what they say. Maybe they have a fix for it.

Thanks Just J.

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FIKO View Post
    Guess is a 1st batch issue (defect).
    I do not think that is the case. I got one of the first bikes. They had a small air shipment sent over originally and my LBS went and picked my bike up from Yeti for me and I had it the next day (Yeti HQ is local).

I weigh over 220lbs as well and so far I've not seen any flex in my bike at all.

Someone mentioned Kelstr did some pivot modifications? Is that what caused the issue? I really don't understand when watching the video where the flex is coming from?

Chilling out
    In the video the wheel is rotating top-to-the-right and front-to-the-left, which would amongst other things push the tire into contact with the inside left chainstay (assuming the tire was fat enough or the flex far enough).

This, simply induced by pedal-torque.

I've run some pretty phat tires on my 95a (like the 2.35 Hans Dampf) and never rubbed the chainstay like that. Rubbed the seat tube on bottom-out, yes. Sideways? No.

I could see that this flex could happen if the two sides of the Switch were rotating separately, but that would require them not being bolted together both internally (there's a bolt that pulls the switch halves together) and via the lower pivot thru-bolt (which snugs the rear triangle to the switch thru the small bearings).

I have a hard time believing a competent mechanical engineer would allow that for any mod, but I guess it's possible. Based on the length of the chain-stays I'd think it would not take a lot of flex at the Switch to allow that.

If the flex isn't happening at the Switch (or via other pivot mounts being loose) I just can't see the flex happening within the rear triangle itself without a major defect.

Like a crack.

No clue from this end of the internet which opinion to take though.

Real bummer though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    In the video the wheel is rotating top-to-the-right and front-to-the-left, which would amongst other things push the tire into contact with the inside left chainstay (assuming the tire was fat enough or the flex far enough).

This, simply induced by pedal-torque.

I've run some pretty phat tires on my 95a (like the 2.35 Hans Dampf) and never rubbed the chainstay like that. Rubbed the seat tube on bottom-out, yes. Sideways? No.

I could see that this flex could happen if the two sides of the Switch were rotating separately, but that would require them not being bolted together both internally (there's a bolt that pulls the switch halves together) and via the lower pivot thru-bolt (which snugs the rear triangle to the switch thru the small bearings).

I have a hard time believing a competent mechanical engineer would allow that for any mod, but I guess it's possible. Based on the length of the chain-stays I'd think it would not take a lot of flex at the Switch to allow that.

If the flex isn't happening at the Switch (or via other pivot mounts being loose) I just can't see the flex happening within the rear triangle itself without a major defect.

Like a crack.

No clue from this end of the internet which opinion to take though.

Real bummer though.

You are really on the money bear , basically the bike has two issues that account for this movement .

The frame flex in the bottom bracket area is allowing the Switch axle assemble to have .020 thou of "rocking" movement in it ( .020 thou x the 18" long rear section =.36 of an inch movement to the right the rear section gets pulled over under chain torque )

Then the Rear section it self has developed a twist in it where it is popping the paint off and it is starting to fail right there causing the twist you see in the rear section .

Add the main frame flex also into this equation and you get this ugly movement deflection in the rear of the bike .

I knew I had a Frame set problem so when I rebuilt the bike I used all OEM parts and correctly assembled the bike according to Yetis spec and shot the video of it as a truthful account of the work done.
    I wanted Matt from Yeti to just send me acoupple bushings so I could play with it but he did not return my e-mails on this issue so I had to buy the Yeti $150.00 kit that was not necessary , ( I just needed the Yeti bushing because all the bearings are easy and cheep to source out ......$30.00 )

So the bike has not ever ben modded , I do feel a stiffer wider "bearing bronz bushing" would hold up better and be stiffer, but in all reality if I ever was to mod the 95 I would bore the left side out and add the 6809 bearing like the SB66 has

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010
    Kelstr: thanks for the more info

mtbr member
    Yes, interesting, but agree the OP despite some solid garage skills likely did not impress Yeti with his R&R of the rear triangle. I watched a good bit of the video but surprised he wasn't able to find that large of a problem with the bike assembled. I semi-pro car mechanic on the side and have done a fair amount of front end work on cars, and if there is play in suspension you can usually put a hand on the parts in question at the joint and you will be able to "feel" slop in joints as you move stuff. should have been able to even use a dial indicator which a guy like the OP would probably have laying about. Slop in a bearing area should be able to be figured out by trying to isolate the problem. I was curious he was able to find higher IBEC bearing but wasnt' sure he used when reassembled. Bearings in such a fairly high stress location can wear and the wear will not be readily apparent w/o a load applied. I had a AC compressor bearing that seemed pretty decent w/o a load but with a load would make a horrible moaning noise. The best design for Yeti would have been needle bearings (assuming ball bearings were used) to deal with the loads.

I'd like to know exactly the dealer said and what Yeti said about the claim with the dealer. Too bad the OP lives pretty far from a dealer, I guess one lesson learned is not to buy stuff that is unsupported locally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Kelstr: thanks for the more info
    Im sure there were not many of these out there , but I unfortunately got one .

And if you want to know whats even funner than that , I Demoed the Santa Cruz TBLT last weekend and this weekend and I really liked the bike very much , but after my ride today I took my SB95C out and did the same exact ride on my deflecting Yeti , and my dam Yeti climbed better (I have learned to anticipate the flex on the really hard out of the saddle efforts) it descended better , and I ran the whole course faster and am still in love with the dam thing .

I really try to fault the dam bike but when something works really good even when its not 100% you gota give kudos and tip your hat and be in awe

It just still shows me how good this dam thing really is .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FIKO View Post
    Yup like I said, I tired last night and nothing. I'm 220lbs.
    Guess is a 1st batch issue (defect). I am going to contact the dealer ans see what they say. Maybe they have a fix for it.

Thanks Just J.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I didn't notice any flex on my first 95c either, that was from the first batch.

Chilling out
    Kelstr, I have an unused bushing from a 95a kit ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've noticed some flex, but not sure if it's out of spec on mine
    Last edited by some dude; 03-23-2014 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Kelstr, I have an unused bushing from a 95a kit ...

Thanks bear , I do not need one now , I just wanted Yeti to kick me one or two out so I could do the rebuild and testing on my bike without buying their $150.00 kit , because I knew the bike had a frame set material problem but I had to go through the rebuild process in order to rule out the bearings,bushing and switch axle and to correctly diagnoses and show that the problem was still there .

I knew there was no way a bike shop was going to do this correctly and keep track of exactly what and how everything was done , and the bike shops do not have a holding fixture or a way to build tools and or dial indicators to really locate and document where the movement was before the rebuild and after .

So I did this to try and help yeti understand what was going on and that this needs to be addressed .

But I appreciate the offer and make sure you save that bushing

P.S. I almost have your Yeti tools done and I have been making a video of it and I should have it up tomorrow I hope .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Kelster has Yeti stepped up and done the right thing yet? It seems to me that trying to knock your integrity isn't making them look very good at this point.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've had both good and bad experiences with Yeti. Sometimes they have been excellent but on one occasion I ended up forking out for a CR frame when being realistic I should not have.

Clearly Kelstr knows what's he's doing but to the letter of the law he has invalidated his warranty. There are a number of jobs I don't do on my bikes for this reason until it's out of the warranty period even though I know what i'm doing. Yet overall we don't know the full story and possibly you've been forced down this route by being stonewalled?. Ultimately I'd say the bike is dangerous to ride, surely handling is compromised and the chance of frame failure is much higher than you would reasonably expect..?

I get it, these bikes are a luxury product and many people do extend themselves to buy one. I've seen Yetis on cars where they are worth 5X + the car so you can understand when things go wrong it must be a big disappointment especially if they have issues and feel abandoned. some people save for years for their dream bike or finance themselves significantly...

Ultimately it's utterly irrelevant how many staff they have, their pay scales, what car they drive etc.. so what? that's just excuses.... you've spent a great deal of money and are therefore being tempted into riding a potentially dangerous bike.... I don't know the full history and Yeti could be in the right.... but personally IMO they should just warranty it and protect a customer.

Ohh just a simple thing but your sure your putting the switch together properly - Bolt 15 (from the 2013 95C manual P28 on the Yeti website) that locks the two sides of the switch links together (part 8 & 9). On the 66 its possible to incorrectly screw it in from the part 8 side.. or miss it out all together.... very simple but worth a double check.

mtbr member
    Kelstr, I recently had to rebuild my 95a switch, bushing, bearing, and bushing half of axle. Lbs was able to order all of these parts individually and it was much cheaper than buying the kit. Part numbers are in the manual. I haven't been happy with how easily water gets into the switch.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Kelstr, I recently had to rebuild my 95a switch, bushing, bearing, and bushing half of axle. Lbs was able to order all of these parts individually and it was much cheaper than buying the kit. Part numbers are in the manual. I haven't been happy with how easily water gets into the switch.
    The only two things I haven't found alternative sources for are the bushing the quad o-ring, if someone has sources for those they can share that'd be great.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
    Ultimately it's utterly irrelevant how many staff they have, their pay scales, what car they drive etc.. so what? that's just excuses.... you've spent a great deal of money and are therefore being tempted into riding a potentially dangerous bike.... I don't know the full history and Yeti could be in the right.... but personally IMO they should just warranty it and protect a customer.
    I swore to myself I'd ignore this thread and move on, but when our name starts getting dirtied because people are misinterpreting things, I guess I feel like I have to jump in.

1. I mention the things about small staff/cars/etc. to demonstrate a point - that our warranty policy is very clear. All claims must go through a dealer because we're too small to handle each customer individually. It's the same reason that we don't sell consumer-direct. Going through a dealer is an easy step to follow, and 99.9% of you do this if/when there's a service issue. I'm not making any excuses, I'm simply pointing out that there's a protocol to follow; and when you decide not to follow this protocol, it shouldn't be surprising that we can't provide the very service that the protocol is in place to ensure. Our bikes are expensive enough, and we don't have a bunch of money lying around to hire more people. I'm sorry that my writing skillz were not clear enough on these issues.

2. The reason the bike is 'unsafe' is because it's pretty clear that it has been crashed and the chainstay cracked. In our analysis, this is what causes the flex you're seeing (you'll note that the OP mentioned the bike was originally fine, but this flex somehow developed after some riding). Here's a pic of the 'paint flakes' that have been mentioned; note the obvious impact damage on the bottom:
    No more Yeti for me .-10002984_10152296060812629_738663542_n.jpg

In the end, we offered a very fair deal on a replacement rear triangle. The OP rejected it (his prerogative) and then tried modifying part of his frame to compensate for the flex that was coming from this cracked swingarm. I don't want to question anyone's 'integrity', but I can't imagine there's any part of the frame that can be modified enough to compensate for the flex created by a cracked chainstay.

Anyway, before the lynch mob gets too lathered up here, I figured everyone would like to know the whole story.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member

2. The reason the bike is 'unsafe' is because it's pretty clear that it has been crashed and the chainstay cracked. In our analysis, this is what causes the flex you're seeing (you'll note that the OP mentioned the bike was originally fine, but this flex somehow developed after some riding). Here's a pic of the 'paint flakes' that have been mentioned; note the obvious impact damage on the bottom:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10002984_10152296060812629_738663542_n.jpg 
Views:	1505 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	880306

Anyway, before the lynch mob gets too lathered up here, I figured everyone would like to know the whole story.

JP
    Looks crashed or thrashed to me. Thank you for stepping into yet another MTBR drama-fest.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Wow. Just wow. Teh interwebs lynch mob shut down again.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Chilling out
    Interesting pic.

I wasn't there, so I've got no opinion on how the damage happened.

But I've ridden in AZ and I can totally see a chainstay getting thwacked on the bottom like that w/o a crash and w/o the rider noticing. There's some serious rock out there, and it's not nice polite soft stuff like the limestone in Texas.

Now, the hit on the top? No clue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    But I've ridden in AZ and I can totally see a chainstay getting thwacked on the bottom like that w/o a crash and w/o the rider noticing. There's some serious rock out there, and it's not nice polite soft stuff like the limestone in Texas.
    I wouldn't think a rock strike without a crash would do that much damage? This is precisely why I 3M tape the whole rear triangle and the underside of the down tube. Even with the rubber protectors on my SB-66 you never know where you're going to scrape a rock. For 20-30 bucks worth of tape it's worth it, and the stuff is super durable and strong.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Final note:
    To be clear, I don't take any pleasure in posting things up like this that will likely cast a negative pall on a customer and respected member of this community, but at some point, I feel like we all have a right to present the full facts of a situation.

In any event, I truly do hope the OP will take us up on our crash-replacement offer, but I will also understand if he's just 'over it' and wants to move on.

Anyway, happy trails to all of you. I'm bummed this turned out the way it did...

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if it is possible to put a alu swing arm on the carbon front triangle?
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Final note:
    To be clear, I don't take any pleasure in posting things up like this that will likely cast a negative pall on a customer and respected member of this community, but at some point, I feel like we all have a right to present the full facts of a situation.

In any event, I truly do hope the OP will take us up on our crash-replacement offer, but I will also understand if he's just 'over it' and wants to move on.

Anyway, happy trails to all of you. I'm bummed this turned out the way it did...

JP
    Well, the Facts you are leaving out is the paint flaking and cracking starting months ago before the arm was rock chipped on the bottom like that , I sent a video to Matt 5 months ago showing proof of that .

So no the rock chip on the bottom has nothing to do with the flex or the cracked paint and the flaw that is in the carbon of the arm that is starting further up, and on the other side of the arm .

In your picture you can see the paint cracking straight down because of flex just forward of the lower rock chip .

So thats what's got me irritated is that there seems to be a lack of communication .

This whole thread is casting a bad vibe for Yetis warranty and customer service .

I hate that this happened as much as you do JP , and I really think this will make Yeti rethink the way they treat customers with warranty work from this point on.

So maybe this will be good for others in the long run.

And the bike shop said Yeti wants my bike back , ....so I guess that was another miscommunication ?

Chilling out
    I wouldn't think a rock strike without a crash would do that much damage?
    I have a dent in the down tube of my previous FS bike, down near the BB, from a rock that was kicked up while hauling downhill. No crash was induced. It's bigger than my thumb and maybe 5mm deep or more. The downtube is straight-gauge alloy, and overbuilt - it's an old Titus Quasi-Moto. If that rock had hit a carbon frame it would definitely have damaged paint, no idea if it would have done more damage. I still have that old frame, many fond memories and miles travelled on the Quasi.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't think a rock strike without a crash would do that much damage? This is precisely why I 3M tape the whole rear triangle and the underside of the down tube. Even with the rubber protectors on my SB-66 you never know where you're going to scrape a rock. For 20-30 bucks worth of tape it's worth it, and the stuff is super durable and strong.
    How much does all that tape weigh? The more I read about Carbon frames and other parts durability issues the more I am convinced I'll stick to Aluminum.

mtbr member
    OP gave us 20 min video on tweaking and testing a pivot and all that when it clearly has an issue with the chainstay?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    How much does all that tape weigh? The more I read about Carbon frames and other parts durability issues the more I am convinced I'll stick to Aluminum.
    tape weight is negligible. I have a lot of friends that tape both carbon and aluminum frames. It keeps the clear coat/paint nice and protects against scrapes and scratches from crashes. Once on you can't really even tell the tape is there. It's basically the same stuff people use on cars.

Amazon.com: 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-48-inches: Automotive

Carbon is stronger, stiffer and will outlast Aluminum frames. It's just that people like talking about it more when something carbon breaks. I've seen way more Aluminum issues than carbon issues in all my years biking, but obviously that has been gone over a million times in other threads and is just beating a dead horse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Carbon is stronger, stiffer and will outlast Aluminum frames. It's just that people like talking about it more when something carbon breaks. I've seen way more Aluminum issues than carbon issues in all my years biking, but obviously that has been gone over a million times in other threads and is just beating a dead horse.
    How does Aluminium compare with rock strikes? I would assume that It would take a sharp rock hit much better than Carbon?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    How does Aluminium compare with rock strikes? I would assume that It would take a sharp rock hit much better than Carbon?
    depends how hard you strike it. A rock hit may put a dent in aluminum compromising the frame where as it would only scratch carbon, it's a lot tougher than you think. Boeing wouldn't be building the 787 dreamliner out of carbon if it weren't strong and impact resistant. The top enduro riders wouldn't be on carbon if they thought it would break in half when striking a rock. My friend has an all carbon hardtail he races in ultra endurance races. It's been through the AZ trail 300, CO trail race, kokopelli trail race, numerous 24hr races, countless 100mi+ races, not to mention all the training (thousands of miles), plus all the extra weight carried on the bike with saddle bags, ect. The bike is beat up, but feels perfectly stiff and solid like the day he got it...Can you say the same thing about an aluminum bike after all that abuse? Maybe, maybe not...

mtbr member
    That picture doesn't really definitively say much of anything. Yes, kind of looks like impact damage, but if there were previous delaminations causing the flex Kelstr described, Yeti should have asked to see his frame a long time ago. We will never know the full story, but I hope that Yeti didn't solely make their decision based on that picture.

Here's my question. What all is considered crash damage? Is a kicked up rock strike considered crash damage?

The present day toughen epoxies used in the composites mtb's are made from are pretty robust when it comes to absorbing impact energy. You really can't compare them to Al and every impact is different. Problem with composites is that there is no in between. It either breaks or survives, and sometimes it fractures under the surface and you can't see the damage, BVID. Although the manufacturer will tell you that a dented Al frame is junk, in reality you may be able to safely ride it for a long time. Carbon isn't cheap. You gotta pay to play.

If this had been me, I would have quit riding the bike as soon as the flex developed until I got an answer/guidance from Yeti.

I don't know why you all keep mentioning how he "modified" the pivots. Yes, he mentioned it in the video, but there were no mods made that would ruin his warranty. Unless the axle bores molded into the swingarm dis bonded, the flex is not coming from the pivots/switch. The paint cracking around the pivot bores is not a good sign and this would never be cause by impact damage on the bottom of the chain stay. Now if he drove his truck over it in the driveway that would be a different story.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

This is true , Carbon is really good I can not tell you how hard My buddys slam their carbon bikes on rocks out here in AZ , (it can't be helped most of the time ) Yetis carbon is not the same tho , these little rock chips Yeti is trying to say is the cause of my problem is just crazy .

My aluminum bikes as well and my buddies would always cause me to be re- welding , re-fabing the chassis and more to keep these things on the trail .

My one friend Rob finally broke his Niner RDO and he had really beat that bike up in 11 months , but Niner sent a whole frame set out in 4 days no questions asked .

My Yeti started having problems while recovering from a car accident and riding the bike on the road , I knew then I was going to be disappointed with this first run of these carbon bikes from Yeti , but I did not think that Yeti would be so awful to work with

EDR

Re: No more Yeti for me .

Here's my question. What all is considered crash damage? Is a kicked up rock strike considered crash damage?
    Yes.

Technically anything that is not a manufacturing defect. Like a broken weld. The Crash replacement program simply allows current yeti owners to replace our damaged frame/triangle at cost, or close to it, as opposed to MSRP off the shelf.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    OP gave us 20 min video on tweaking and testing a pivot and all that when it clearly has an issue with the chainstay?
    There is a problem with deflection in the BB of the frame also witch lets the switch axle rock sideways and adds to the deflection.

like I have said before there are two issues this bike has developed .

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That picture doesn't really definitively say much of anything. Yes, kind of looks like impact damage, but if there were previous delaminations causing the flex Kelstr described, Yeti should have asked to see his frame a long time ago. We will never know the full story, but I hope that Yeti didn't solely make their decision based on that picture.

The present day toughen epoxies used in the composites mtb's are made from are pretty robust when it comes to absorbing impact energy. You really can't compare them to Al and every impact is different. Problem with composites is that there is no in between. It either breaks or survives, and sometimes it fractures under the surface and you can't see the damage, BVID. Although the manufacturer will tell you that a dented Al frame is junk, in reality you may be able to safely ride it for a long time. Carbon isn't cheap. You gotta pay to play.

If this had been me, I would have quit riding the bike as soon as the flex developed until I got an answer/guidance from Yeti.

I don't know why you all keep mentioning how he "modified" the pivots. Yes, he mentioned it in the video, but there were no mods made that would ruin his warranty. Unless the axle bores molded into the swingarm dis bonded, the flex is not coming from the pivots/switch. The paint cracking around the pivot bores is not a good sign and this would never be cause by impact damage on the bottom of the chain stay. Now if he drove his truck over it in the driveway that would be a different story.
    I'm with you , It is amazing how people think I have "modified" the bike or done something without good reason for doing it , ( acoupple people on here must not be able to read and follow a thread and certainly have never done any diagnosing ).

I am really amazed that Yeti will not make this right , Yeti had problems with paint flaking on the Turquoise SB bike , and Ive seen several guys on here not get rear sections on other models warrantied because of cracks , and look at all the ASR's that had problems , those had chain stay cracks and head tube cracks .

Its really not good for yeti as a company to keep doing customers like this

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT77 View Post
    Looks crashed or thrashed to me. Thank you for stepping into yet another MTBR drama-fest.
    Looks like cheap paint to me. Just my opinion. I guess I have to ask John P. Are you really coming to a conclusion that this was a crash issue based on a picture? You haven't examined the frame in person? Local shop has not even looked at frame? You can bet I'd be pissed as well. Sad Yeti, VERY sad. Sorry Kelster looks to me like your taking in right in the you know what

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Wow. Just wow. Teh interwebs lynch mob shut down again.
    Pretty sure this is just ramping up. Fourteen members checking it out at this time

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hey guys-

I'm going to try to get some more info on this today and move things in a positive direction, but just wanted to comment on one thing quickly...

The OP seems very disappointed that Matt Fisher did not reply to several of his personal emails/calls. One thing to understand here, guys - we sell well over 10,000 bikes in a year, and our warranty department has a staff of one guy - Matt. We all wish that wasn't the case, but unless you want to shell out a lot more for each bike to pay for additional staff, the situation is what it is.

JP
    JP, I would have gladly handed over another $20 to Jenson to get better warranty service. Assuming that 1/2 of that $20 gets back to Yeti on each frame and bike then you'd be able to hire another warranty guy. Waiting for 2 1/2 months during the summer for a replacement for an incorrect bearing on my SB66 was brutal. The other warranty issue (replacement of my whole frame) was dealt with well though.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    Well, the Facts you are leaving out is the paint flaking and cracking starting months ago before the arm was rock chipped on the bottom like that , I sent a video to Matt 5 months ago showing proof of that .
    here is pic from Kelstrs video supporting this.
    No more Yeti for me .-screen-shot-2014-03-28-9.45.43-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This is a really sad thread. Ive been a huge proponent of yetis and currently own three. These will be the last. JP u are trashing your customer publicly and this blacklash will far outstrip the cost of doing the right thing. Enjoy your holier than thou attitude. Good riddance yeti despite riding well.... Time to put my hard earned cash somewhere else. Have a wonderful day continuing to enjoy your old truck and soon non-employment status

mtbr member
    I feel the same. Yeti always seemed to be such a cool brand with dedicated followers.
    But after reading this whole thread I might think twice about any future Yeti purchase.
    I wonder how many actual Yeti customers read these kind of threads and how much damage does it really do to Yeti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I feel the same. Yeti always seemed to be such a cool brand with dedicated followers.
    But after reading this whole thread I might think twice about any future Yeti purchase.
    I wonder how many actual Yeti customers read these kind of threads and how much damage does it really do to Yeti.
    These types of threads are certainly interesting. The damage done to Yeti customers would be hard to measure. Many have positive interactions with Yeti, and hopefully with most Yeti dealers, but then issues like this come up. Now it would seem rather easy, though a little painful on their pocketbook, to send a new rear triangle to Kelstr moving pass the problem while creating Yeti stoke and showing yet again why we all feel a sense of pride riding and talking about our bikes. Yeti has its reasons behind their decision to charge Kelstr for a replacement, which we certainly won't be privy to. It's unfortunate Yeti doesn't see this as an opportunity rather than a problem. It could have all be handled a while ago without anything but positive publicity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SicBith View Post
    These types of threads are certainly interesting. The damage done to Yeti customers would be hard to measure. Many have positive interactions with Yeti, and hopefully with most Yeti dealers, but then issues like this come up. Now it would seem rather easy, though a little painful on their pocketbook, to send a new rear triangle to Kelstr moving pass the problem while creating Yeti stoke and showing yet again why we all feel a sense of pride riding and talking about our bikes. Yeti has its reasons behind their decision to charge Kelstr for a replacement, which we certainly won't be privy to. It's unfortunate Yeti doesn't see this as an opportunity rather than a problem. It could have all be handled a while ago without anything but positive publicity.
    It's a good point. I can actually see this both ways. Perhaps Yeti believes they were going above and beyond in the first place by offering a reduced price rear triangle, and decided that's as far as they are willing to take it, no matter how much complaining is done on a web forum. Or perhaps the OP is just getting a bum deal for some reason. We'll never know.
    I will say this -- it probably would have better for Yeti to just warranty it in the first place, from a profit&loss perspective. Let's assume Yeti's cost for the rear triangle is $450. And let's assume Matt in the Warranty department makes about $15/hour ($30k/year). Given the amount of back and forth between the OP and the Warranty department, it seems safe to assume Matt spent at least 20 hours over the past year dealing with this particular issue. 20hours x ($15/hour + $7/hour for employer costs) = $440. Therefore, it would have cost Yeti the same to give him the new triangle as it cost to have the employees waste time arguing about it.

Of course, all this math could be way off. But sometimes you have to ask yourself -- do I want to be right, or do I want to make money?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    not sure how this would damage Yeti's rep at all? The circumstances were laid out, Yeti offers a discounted deal and fix, OP didn't think the deal was sweet enough so he takes it to an internet forum to get more attention, hold Yeti over a barrel, and get Yeti to pay for it all 100%. I could definitely see disgust if Yeti refused to do anything about it, but the deal was refused and I imagine there is a lot more behind the scenes than we know from this thread. a few trolls who probably don't even own a Yeti that feel the need to chime in is an easy target for this thread.

The situation is definitely not ideal, but I know at least a dozen people on Yeti's in my small town of 1600 who have always had good interactions. Maybe I'm naive, but I have a hard time believing Yeti are being total *******s about all of this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This BS is why most companies stay off the forums on sites like this. While I feel for the OP that his bike which is very expensive has some issues, even his own timeline to the story as originally posted does not make sense. The bike was every thing he hoped for and more especially after he revalved the shock and put on a pike, but it never saw anything but a couple rides on the street cause he was injured. How did he know it was so amazing if it never touched a trail? How did he get a big rock/ crash spot if he only was just riding along on the street? While it sucks that his bike has an issue there is a way to deal with the issue: take it to a dealer. Why? They are the way to have your warranty issue dealt with without Yeti needing you to send it to Golden and then wait for them to look at it. If your dealer said originally that it was a warranty issue, yeti would have fixed it based on the dealer's decision. If your dealer told you "it looks like a crash issue to me" that is when you try to make your case. And if your dealer says that he is dropping Yeti because they are a pain to deal with he is full of it. Maybe you are a pain to deal with or maybe you bought your bike from someplace else and it is really you he is mad at I don't know. But to come on a forum and trash a company is silly and childish.

Any how it is still snowing and cold as heck in Michigan and my new SB-66c is staring at me wanting to go outside, so maybe I am just cranky. Either way John P and Yeti have always kicked ass when I needed them and I will continue to support the guys from Golden cause their bikes are amazing.

OP sorry you went through this best of luck with your new ride and don't be surprised when their warranty people blow you off and say go to your dealer, that's how the system works.

mtbr member
    Stories like this are rare around here on the Yeti forum, extremely rare. Other forums are filled with hate everyday; which is obviously not the case around here.

If Yeti didn't stand behind their sh*t, they'd be blasted here every single day. But they do...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MARC GRBAC View Post
    here is pic from Kelstrs video supporting this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 9.45.43 pm.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	880526
    Thank you very much MARC , this really shows the truth and lets the world see how JP is wrong in trashing me and is not informed , and has not done his due diligent's on this case before voiding a warranty on a bike that was defective from new. (really make guys want to run right out and buy a Yeti)

Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    This is a really sad thread. Ive been a huge proponent of yetis and currently own three. These will be the last. JP u are trashing your customer publicly and this blacklash will far outstrip the cost of doing the right thing. Enjoy your holier than thou attitude. Good riddance yeti despite riding well.... Time to put my hard earned cash somewhere else. Have a wonderful day continuing to enjoy your old truck and soon non-employment status

shoal , This was a big eye opener on this thread , I have my PM box filled everyday with Yeti customers from all over the world with these same statements and feelings but are afraid to post on an open forum , I thank you for being forthright and telling it like it is .

jazzanova , you could not be more correct , I can not answer all of my pm's, e-mails and phone calls fast enough because of this thread ,( there "WERE" a lot of guys that wanted the SB ) Yeti has really under estimated how quickly this became viral , the post itself might only have 5,000 hits but my three videos are playing 24 7 and they are playing all over the globe , so yes this hurts a company terribly , in todays world you can't treat a customer like this and get away with it .

I will get ahold of "Chris Conroy" the President / GM of Yeti and have a talk with him , and see if he approves with JP's behavior .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    jazzanova , you could not be more correct , I can not answer all of my pm's, e-mails and phone calls fast enough because of this thread ,( there "WERE" a lot of guys that wanted the SB ) Yeti has really under estimated how quickly this became viral , the post itself might only have 5,000 hits but my three videos are playing 24 7 and they are playing all over the globe , so yes this hurts a company terribly , in todays world you can't treat a customer like this and get away with it .

I will get ahold of "Chris Conroy" the President / GM of Yeti and have a talk with him , and see if he approves with JP's behavior .
    so basically you wanted to slander the company on the internet because the crash replacement wasn't sufficient in your eyes? I guess I just don't understand the logic there and how that is going to work in your benefit.

Chilling out
    I really hate to see this kind of train wreck hapen. I'm really bummed that all parties couldn't come together before hand. It'll be interesting if the conclusion is ever shared, but i wonder if it'd be better at this point if it all just locked down. dunno.

mtbr member
    I second this movement, personally I think that it'd be best if Kel and Yeti can come to some sort of agreement away from the public eye. Yeti are a stand up company and Kel is a stand up guy, I'm sure they can keep the bike on the trail and stay happy...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wait, what?...because one guy on an internet forum isn't having his warranty go his way, Yeti is all of a sudden "uncool" or hate their customers or otherwise is a bad company now? Good grief, talk about being hyperbolic and nevermind all the good experiences people do have with Yeti.

My sympathies to the OP and I'm not saying he is right or wrong, but good grief the peanut gallery in this thread is ridiculous.

Linoleum Knife
    Not many, and not much.

There are always people who want something for nothing.

It's really a pretty typical scenario, if you are in customer service.
    First:
    People fabricate long, involved stories about how damage happens.
    Then:
    People try to turn their mistakes around. Make it sound like you caused it.
    Finally:
    People try to tell you how you're going to lose your job, how they pay your salary, blah blah blah.

As I see it, Kelstr isn't giving up on Yeti. He's still trying to get something for nothing. If he had really given up on Yeti, he wouldn't have started this thread. He wouldn't be spending countless hours making videos and trying to publicly bully Yeti into sending him a free replacement.

He mentions several times how Yeti won't send him free bushings so that he can do some "testing". He apparently makes tools to help people replace their own bushings? If I was Yeti, I wouldn't have any interest in helping a 3rd party make a tool that undercuts their own tools AND their dealer network. If you want to make a tool, fine - but don't ask for free samples.

Owning a micrometer and a lathe don't make you an advanced composites engineer. They don't even necessarily make you a machinist. All they do is make you a guy with a micrometer, a lathe, and unfortunately - a video camera and internet access.

mtbr member
    Op brought it to the Web, publicly calling out the company and specific employees for a reason. He started off friendly; after he didn't get what he wanted, his attitude went South. He then started web-blasting them. Not cool imo.

..edited..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    so basically you wanted to slander the company on the internet because the crash replacement wasn't sufficient in your eyes? I guess I just don't understand the logic there and how that is going to work in your benefit.
    This was not my intension at all, I have been going around with Yeti for months now since the bike was new , And I have seen others wronged by Yeti also , there has to be somebody stand up and hold a company responsible when they sell a high end defective product and do not stand behind it .

Like I said in a earlier post, ( This will make Yeti change who is doing their carbon and this will change the way Yeti treats customers on warranty work ).

This will make it better in the future for all involved , this is a wake up call for the owners of Yeti to make policy changes as well as employee changes in order to grow bigger and become stronger and keep people happy .

This is not Slander , this is the TRUTH ( big difference )

I did not ask or want to be this guy , I was forced into this situation .

I could turn the videos off and lock down this thread if Yeti would do the right thing , and then I would praise Yeti for coming through and doing what they should have done in the first place .

mtbr member

I could turn the videos off and lock down this thread if Yeti would do the right thing , and then I would praise Yeti for coming through and doing what they should have done in the first place .
    Dude, that's modern day blackmail.

mtbr member
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 5464
Size:  36.1 KB

mtbr member
    I've not been influenced by anything in this thread. I like my Yeti, just like I like my Transition, and liked my Iron Horse, and my Trek, etc...

I may have an issue one day. Maybe it will go well, maybe it won't. Nobody can bat 1000.

It's not like Yeti told this guy to fvck off or anything. They just didn't bend over backwards far enough to the liking of the OP.

If the OP thinks he'll be guaranteed better service from another company, good luck to him, but it sure sounds like a recipe for disappointment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Op brought it to the Web, publicly calling out the company and specific employees for a reason. He started off friendly; after he didn't get what he wanted, his attitude went South. He then started web-blasting them. Not cool imo.
    OP should quit while he's behind.

Total train wreck of a thread.
    303 WC :cool:

mtbr member
    May 2011

uh yea, what you're mentioning is pretty much extortion. In the real world people don't solve problems this way...unless of course you're in organized crime.

why don't you take it back to your LBS like a big kid and communicate/find a solution this way, unless the LBS said you crashed it as well and you didn't like what you heard. Is it possible to repair the carbon fiber on the triangle instead of paying for a crash replacement?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Its not extortion , its getting a warranty honored .

uh yea, what you're mentioning is pretty much extortion. In the real world people don't solve problems this way...unless of course you're in organized crime.

why don't you take it back to your LBS like a big kid and communicate/find a solution this way, unless the LBS said you crashed it as well and you didn't like what you heard. Is it possible to repair the carbon fiber on the triangle instead of paying for a crash replacement?
    The bike shop actually did explain to Yeti that it should be warranty several times , but Yeti chose to focus on the rock chip on the bottom of the chain stay, and not cover their defective part , and it obvious JP did not do any research on this case .

I worked with the shop back and forth ( great shop actually ) and Yeti still would not make it right.

Nobody likes a company that does not honor their warranty , if it happened to you you would feel the same way .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy View Post
    Not many, and not much.

There are always people who want something for nothing.

It's really a pretty typical scenario, if you are in customer service.
    First:
    People fabricate long, involved stories about how damage happens.
    Then:
    People try to turn their mistakes around. Make it sound like you caused it.
    Finally:
    People try to tell you how you're going to lose your job, how they pay your salary, blah blah blah.

As I see it, Kelstr isn't giving up on Yeti. He's still trying to get something for nothing. If he had really given up on Yeti, he wouldn't have started this thread. He wouldn't be spending countless hours making videos and trying to publicly bully Yeti into sending him a free replacement.

He mentions several times how Yeti won't send him free bushings so that he can do some "testing". He apparently makes tools to help people replace their own bushings? If I was Yeti, I wouldn't have any interest in helping a 3rd party make a tool that undercuts their own tools AND their dealer network. If you want to make a tool, fine - but don't ask for free samples.

Owning a micrometer and a lathe don't make you an advanced composites engineer. They don't even necessarily make you a machinist. All they do is make you a guy with a micrometer, a lathe, and unfortunately - a video camera and internet access.
    I see this as Kelstr is trying to get what he thinks is the correct and fair solution to his bike issue. Has Yeti even seen this rear triangle in person? I certainly believe that before Yeti would send out any type of no charge warranty replacement they would need to see the part/bike in person. I don't believe Yeti would send a new frame or part free of charge based on what a dealer says they should do. If that were the case Kelstr would already have a new triangle. What dealer wouldn't use that as an opportunity to build a lifelong relationship with a customer, especially in a situation like this. Yes dealers have a responsibility to the brands they carry, in some cases legally binding responsibilities, but they also have the choice to take care of their customers to the best of their ability.
    How can any of us on here give an opinion of what the cause of the damage to the rear triangle if we have not seen it? Some have voiced their opinions of what the cause is while they have not seen the problem without the filter of the internet.
    As for Kelstr's tool building, I doubt he would need an extra bushing or bearing to design a tool to service it. He certainly wouldn't be undercutting Yeti's dealers as Yeti sells bearing kits, tools, shirts, hats etc. direct to the consumer.
    Some of you might not use the internet as a way to call out a company on a situation you feel was handled poorly, but welcome to the 2010's is happens all the time. IMO you almost owe it to a company to say thanks when they treat you right and let them know when feel wronged by them. Anybody out there ever buy a large item like an appliance without looking at the product reviews online?
    Whatever happens with this you can bet one thing is for sure. Yeti is going to have a new policy on addressing customer service complaints via online forums. Which is a poor practice in the first place.

mtbr member

What are you talking about???? CB did this same thing with CBMR to ensure airlines would fly into Gunni in the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Meanwhile in the Santa Cruz forums, you'll find a guy who bought a Tallboy LT used and is getting a frame replaced for free because the clearance was off in the rear suspension. That's the competition. Also, he dealt directly with SC on the issue.

Edit: Alloy not carbon, and wrong on the frame issue

mtbr member
    maybe....just maybe.....did ya ever think he was telling the truth?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Do you work for yeti? Seem to be a little to partial....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Do you work for yeti? Seem to be a little too partial BDKeg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Until your frame cracks and they offer crash replacement? Will you feel the same about the company at that point? Can you be honest?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I disagree. It's called freedom of speech. Look it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Meanwhile in the Santa Cruz forums, you'll find a guy who bought a Tallboy LT used and is getting a frame replaced for free because the clearance was off in the rear suspension. That's the competition. Also, he dealt directly with SC on the issue.

Edit: Alloy not carbon, and wrong on the frame issue
    Sounds like JP needs to spend a little time shadowing Santa Cruz to see how to treat customers

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by asrrider View Post
    This BS is why most companies stay off the forums on sites like this. While I feel for the OP that his bike which is very expensive has some issues, even his own timeline to the story as originally posted does not make sense. The bike was every thing he hoped for and more especially after he revalved the shock and put on a pike, but it never saw anything but a couple rides on the street cause he was injured. How did he know it was so amazing if it never touched a trail? How did he get a big rock/ crash spot if he only was just riding along on the street? While it sucks that his bike has an issue there is a way to deal with the issue: take it to a dealer. Why? They are the way to have your warranty issue dealt with without Yeti needing you to send it to Golden and then wait for them to look at it. If your dealer said originally that it was a warranty issue, yeti would have fixed it based on the dealer's decision. If your dealer told you "it looks like a crash issue to me" that is when you try to make your case. And if your dealer says that he is dropping Yeti because they are a pain to deal with he is full of it. Maybe you are a pain to deal with or maybe you bought your bike from someplace else and it is really you he is mad at I don't know. But to come on a forum and trash a company is silly and childish.

Any how it is still snowing and cold as heck in Michigan and my new SB-66c is staring at me wanting to go outside, so maybe I am just cranky. Either way John P and Yeti have always kicked ass when I needed them and I will continue to support the guys from Golden cause their bikes are amazing.

OP sorry you went through this best of luck with your new ride and don't be surprised when their warranty people blow you off and say go to your dealer, that's how the system works.
    Hope your frame never cracks arse rider. Karma is a biatch

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    lulzorz. grandiose!

at the same time, I guess free market will allow the OP to make his dollars do the talking. Take satisfaction in that and get over it.

Techno-Beaver
    Hey Bronsondude,

Wrong forum. Need directions back home?? JP is a good man. Show me a Santa Cruz employee that is going the extra mile on these forums. Could be wrong... still bleed Turquoise.

FYI... I was a former Santa Cruz rider. Great bikes. I feel at home on my Yeti.
    Epic Ride. Epic Lunch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I second this post 100% , I have a similar case with the same result from YETI ... this is not web bashing , these are REAL cases ...

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/asr5-cra...l#post11097380

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...61780852_n.jpg

This was not my intension at all, I have been going around with Yeti for months now since the bike was new , And I have seen others wronged by Yeti also , there has to be somebody stand up and hold a company responsible when they sell a high end defective product and do not stand behind it .

Like I said in a earlier post, ( This will make Yeti change who is doing their carbon and this will change the way Yeti treats customers on warranty work ).

This will make it better in the future for all involved , this is a wake up call for the owners of Yeti to make policy changes as well as employee changes in order to grow bigger and become stronger and keep people happy .

This is not Slander , this is the TRUTH ( big difference )

mtbr member
    Carbon fiber does not lose it's elasticity over time (i.e it does not wear out as proposed by the plaintiff). The most likely cause of the wheel flex in the video is freeplay in the linkage which can be detected easily by loading the wheel laterally with the bike in a work stand. A less likely cause would be post-impact delamination of the carbon fiber on the interior section of the frame that is not visible from the outside; this can only be confirmed using specialized non-destructive inspection equipment.

The unfortunate net result of all this hubris is that our beloved Yeti micro-Team is one step closer to being bought out by Trek; this is a very sad proposition for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpvm View Post
    I second this post 100% , I have a similar case with the same result from YETI ... this is not web bashing , these are REAL cases ...

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/asr5-cra...l#post11097380

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...61780852_n.jpg
    Posting the same issue 5 times in 5 different threads comes across as web bashing. You butt hurt interweb guys need to grow a set and handle sh*t like you wear big kid pants.
    That includes the trolls jumping in without a dog in the fight.

mtbr member
    Posting the same issue 5 times in 5 different threads comes across as web bashing. You butt hurt interweb guys need to grow a set and handle sh*t like you wear big kid pants.

For the record, this is what you do when butt hurt....

1) Handle like an adult through proper channels, not this one.

2)Didn't get results?

3)Take your hard earned money to a competitor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch29 View Post

The unfortunate net result of all this hubris is that our beloved Yeti micro-Team is one step closer to being bought out by Trek; this is a very sad proposition for me.
    Gotta link to this info?

mtbr member
    Gotta link to this info?
    This is just speculation. These things are definitely in the realm of possible however. I still ride my cherished made in Chehalis Washington Klein Attitude almost everyday. Trek decimated this brand after the takeover. If Trek buys Yeti, institutionalized mediocrity‎ will follow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Freedom of speech does not mean what you think it means

There's no government involvement here so it doesn't apply
    They don't design these things for clydes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by becadog73 View Post
    Hey Bronsondude,

Wrong forum. Need directions back home?? JP is a good man. Show me a Santa Cruz employee that is going the extra mile on these forums. Could be wrong... still bleed Turquoise.

FYI... I was a former Santa Cruz rider. Great bikes. I feel at home on my Yeti.
    I have no loyalty to any brand. Lots of good bikes now a days. Sorry, I wasn't aware I needed a membership to be in here. Where do I apply? Someone has soft feelings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    For the record, this is what you do when butt hurt....

1) Handle like an adult through proper channels, not this one.

2)Didn't get results?
    3)Take your hard earned money to a competitor.
    Who put you in charge? I thought forums were for sharing experiences? Good or bad. At 7,000 plus hits I'd say its time for Yeti to put this to bed. OP clearly is getting screwed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Got to love the internet tough guys like you. Get over yourself buddy.

mtbr member
    Who put you in charge? I thought forums were for sharing experiences? Good or bad. At 7,000 plus hits I'd say its time for Yeti to put this to bed. OP clearly is getting screwed.

Good point, I'll take my semi-professional, take the high road attitude outta here and let the Housewives of Orange County continue on with this drama.

7,000 views isn't sh*t dude. There's a million views combined between the three "let's see Sb xx bike" threads. No drama there, so I think Yeti is safe in not overreacting here.

The bottom line is we don't honestly know who's getting screwed here, and we most likely never will.
    You and I just have different views on how it should be handled. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Got to love the internet tough guys like you. Get over yourself buddy.

Tough guys>drama queens.

Cheers.

Techno-Beaver
    Just bustin' ba**s dude... Didn't mean anything by it. Of course you are welcome in here anytime. You are right about there being lots of good bikes out there these days. I just have way too many Yeti shirts to jump ship now! (Not to mention the sweet Yeti duffle I just got!)

Whoever suggested that this whole deal get handled privately is probably right. That being said, I think we here on the Yeti forums benefit a great deal from JP chiming in here and there. And... He is a good dude.
    Epic Ride. Epic Lunch.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good point, I'll take my semi-professional, take the high road attitude outta here and let the Housewives of Orange County continue on with this drama.
    JP took the high road awhile back. This is why he won't even give you the time of day. Maybe re-read his posts again. with the epic amount of trolling going on by the likes of Bronsondude the tread will die. This thread just screams of desperation by the OP and his friends of trying to damage Yeti's rep as much as possible. Sorry to break it to the OP, but your opinion doesn't mean you're right and that you should get whatever you want. The best thing you can do right now is save face, act like an adult and open up communication lines instead of crying on an internet forum like a baby.

Sorry, but your responses went from friendly/concerned to down right sinister. This thread is pretty much a joke now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    JP took the high road awhile back. This is why he won't even give you the time of day. Maybe re-read his posts again. with the epic amount of trolling going on by the likes of Bronsondude the tread will die. This thread just screams of desperation by the OP and his friends of trying to damage Yeti's rep as much as possible. Sorry to break it to the OP, but your opinion doesn't mean you're right and that you should get whatever you want. The best thing you can do right now is save face, act like an adult and open up communication lines instead of crying on an internet forum like a baby.

Sorry, but your responses went from friendly/concerned to down right sinister. This thread is pretty much a joke now.
    Thanks for reading , and yes , I am a good guy ;-) I am no webb basher nor a criminal, I am just a customer who bought two YETI bikes (an ASR7 and this ARS5) thinking I would be investing my money in a bike that for my son would last long (not months) , I am no bashing YETI , I am warning that I had a recurrent failure in a YETI bike , a new bike , and I used all channels claiming to YETI , directly (even a mail to its owner) with no results, they are experts in deviating this problem to sectratariate details ,... so this is a warning that not everything that glitters is gold.

Would you do the same if your money is burned like this ???

I am a biker just like you , who wants to enjoy the sport, not being losing time claiming and be left with a broken bike somewhere in South America ....
    Last edited by jpvm; 03-29-2014 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

BdKeg-- its obvious I'm not going to get the time of day from Yeti, that isn't what this post was about. The reason for this thread was to share my experience of buying a $3,000 dollar frame and having it not last longer than the grips and drive train.

I do not need to have my friends make posts on this thread to sully Yeti's reputation. It appears I am not alone in my warranty experience. Matter of fact on my ride just today I met a fellow rider and he asked me how I liked my Yeti and I replied that I loved it but I don't care much for the fact that they are not standing behind their bikes. He told me that he used to work for a shop up north and still works for a shop that both had to stop selling yeti's due to lack of customer service and warranty issues.

With as many posts as you have made on this thread defending yeti, I wonder what your motivation is? You must have a pretty big dog in this fight. You seem pretty biased.

A defective swing arm and frame isn't my opinion it is a fact. Yes you are right I would have liked a new frame set that didn't have delamination and flaws in it. You caught me there but my words are not out of desperation. There is no face to save. I do not feel bad about educating others of my experience. As I mentioned earlier, I am not alone in my experiences. My butt isn't hurt because you called me a baby, I have very thick skin.

What I think you are hearing in all of this is that I don't like my Yeti. I absolutely love my SB95C it works exceptionally well. I have never said anything to the contrary about the way it works. What I am upset about is the lack of customer service and inability to stand behind the product. I have been on this planet a long time and I am just tired of not standing up for what is right. I don't have a money tree in my back yard where I can say oh well golly gee no big deal my bike is defective, ill just go pick 3k and order another frame. Maybe you do, but I don't. I don't like just throwing away 3k. This isn't a joke to me as you claim the thread is. I tried to have an open line of communication with Yeti through my LBS which did not work.

I don't expect the time of day. They made their opinion very clear from the get go, but i guess its their opinion that counts because I was told to buy a 600.00 crash replacement or they couldn't help me.
    So with the hassles , time , money , name calling and Hoops Yeti has made me jump through and still getting no satisfaction.

I guess at this point I can just mount it on the wall as art. It does look pretty cool

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'd like to apologise to John P. I did not have the full facts and posted based on this with my primary concern being that of the customers safety. Still I was wrong to do so and certainly did not want to cause any personal offence.

I'd had prior experience that biased my opinions but overall Yeti are a great bunch of people and how many other companies have direct presence on web sites. With this experience I wouldn't blame them if they simply stopped.. it's much easier that way.

The bike looks crash damaged to me but ultimately none of us are in a position to really comment and this should simply go through the proper channels and not turn into a "street argument". I'm up for discussing technical stuff but have learned a valuable lesson here and not get involved in online warranty issues.

Once again apologies to Yeti Cycles and especially John P.

mtbr member
    This thread makes me want a Yeti even more! One day, one day!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    Salsa El Mariachi--SS
    Gone-
    Trek SuperFly FS 7
    Airborne Guardian
    Redline Monocog Flight

Chilling out
    I love my SB95. OP loves how his works. Lots of bike love there.

One thing about Yeti and the population that seems to me is that there's not much luke-warm feeling, people are either into- or not-into-Yeti.

Doesn't seem like many people sitting on the fence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How did I do anything to warrant bad karma? I have had to deal with warranty issues from multiple companies including Yeti over the years. The best company I have ever dealt with is Yeti. All I said was there is a process and if he went through that process and was denied then maybe try another dealer. I feel bad he has an issue I just don't think publicly trashing a company is the way to deal with things and have them work in your favor.

The other side is that he tried to pawn it off like he was just riding some light street hitting curbs etc.. but never rode the bike hard. At the same time he talks about how awesome his bike was before he got hurt. After twenty years of listening to JRA stories his does not ring true to me. That does not mean I think he is lying, I just think some of the story is missing. Either way I feel bad he cannot ride his bike the way it is intended.

mtbr member

I'm not JP bashing as he believed/believes what he was doing was the right thing, but I've been in JP shoes in thread similar to this one with a company I work with now. The higher road JP or whomever is Matt in warranty's direct report should have taken was to contact the OP directly and solve the problem. For JP to address anything on this thread is him putting Yeti into a direct confrontation with the OP in a public forum on the internet. Not really a high road as his posts actually antagonized the OP and fueled the fire for others who were posting.
    I don't see this as a desperate move by the OP, I see it as someone who is standing his ground in a dispute where he firmly believes he was wronged. Conflicts seen as opportunities are truly valuable to companies like Yeti, conflicts treated as negatives are nothing but destructive.
    BDkeg I'm sure you have some kind of local Yeti dealer hook up which is driving you to defend the company with blinders on as I'm sure you have not seen the damage first hand. Maybe instead of making blind conclusions talk about the stellar warranty service you have had from Yeti or maybe like me, you have not had to run to Yeti for help like the OP has done only to have them treat you, if it went down as the OP stated, with a fair amount of disrespect to him and their own dealer he took the bike to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I know Kelstr and although he likes to grab your ass on occasion, he knows more about the industry than anybody I have met. I have the utmost confidence when he says his carbon rear triangle has cracked due to a faulty design or manufacturing. Anyone who spends $3000 on a frame should not be treated like this. He has documented everything and gone though the proper channels at every turn. Maybe Yeti should cut back on their "lunch rides" and spend a little more time taking care of their customers. If the warranty person states he is overwhelmed with customer issues, should he not direct more resources to addressing the problems. This company is its own worst enemy. Many owners like their bikes, Kelstr included, but when the company ignores customers when they have a problems, it undermines their product and reputation. After riding an SB95C at a local demo days, I was really impressed. However after witnessing the customer service Yeti has provided to Kelstr and others I have spoken with, make a purchase impossible. I am still in the market for a new bike and will probably go with the SantaCruz TBLT. Not only is it a great bike, but everybody I have asked from riders, to my local shop, praise their customer service. This is how you build brand loyalty and referrals. I know I will probably be attacked by Yeti employees hiding behind various user names. Although I find this unfortunate, I hope this post might affect some change in how this company treats its customers as the industry would be diminished with the loss of another manufacture.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I forgot to mention, to all that doubt Kelstr"s claims of road riding his bike after a car accident, I hope you never have to experience what he went trough. Be careful when you call someone a liar, devoid of facts, as fate tends to deal with this in its own way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadethoerk View Post
    I know Kelstr and although he likes to grab your ass on occasion, he knows more about the industry than anybody I have met. I have the utmost confidence when he says his carbon rear triangle has cracked due to a faulty design or manufacturing. Anyone who spends $3000 on a frame should not be treated like this. He has documented everything and gone though the proper channels at every turn. Maybe Yeti should cut back on their "lunch rides" and spend a little more time taking care of their customers. If the warranty person states he is overwhelmed with customer issues, should he not direct more resources to addressing the problems. This company is its own worst enemy. Many owners like their bikes, Kelstr included, but when the company ignores customers when they have a problems, it undermines their product and reputation. After riding an SB95C at a local demo days, I was really impressed. However after witnessing the customer service Yeti has provided to Kelstr and others I have spoken with, make a purchase impossible. I am still in the market for a new bike and will probably go with the SantaCruz TBLT. Not only is it a great bike, but everybody I have asked from riders, to my local shop, praise their customer service. This is how you build brand loyalty and referrals. I know I will probably be attacked by Yeti employees hiding behind various user names. Although I find this unfortunate, I hope this post might affect some change in how this company treats its customers as the industry would be diminished with the loss of another manufacture.
    You must have ridden the short yellow bus to school; there are 8,700+ views on this thread because people want to talk about Yeti bikes. If you want to learn about how great santa cruise bikes are, there is a santa cruise forum for that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You must have ridden the short yellow bus to school; there are 8,700+ views on this thread because people want to talk about Yeti bikes. If you want to learn about how great santa cruise bikes are, there is a santa cruise forum for that.
    You must be new here. The most popular threads in the manufacturer forums are the ones with warranty drama, especially with the semi-boutique brands that have a rabid fan base.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm not JP bashing as he believed/believes what he was doing was the right thing, but I've been in JP shoes in thread similar to this one with a company I work with now. The higher road JP or whomever is Matt in warranty's direct report should have taken was to contact the OP directly and solve the problem. For JP to address anything on this thread is him putting Yeti into a direct confrontation with the OP in a public forum on the internet. Not really a high road as his posts actually antagonized the OP and fueled the fire for others who were posting.
    I don't see this as a desperate move by the OP, I see it as someone who is standing his ground in a dispute where he firmly believes he was wronged. Conflicts seen as opportunities are truly valuable to companies like Yeti, conflicts treated as negatives are nothing but destructive.
    BDkeg I'm sure you have some kind of local Yeti dealer hook up which is driving you to defend the company with blinders on as I'm sure you have not seen the damage first hand. Maybe instead of making blind conclusions talk about the stellar warranty service you have had from Yeti or maybe like me, you have not had to run to Yeti for help like the OP has done only to have them treat you, if it went down as the OP stated, with a fair amount of disrespect to him and their own dealer he took the bike to.
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm betting this thread view count goes way higher because of drama queens like yourself

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm betting your on The Yeti payroll. That would make your opinion one sided. If there's any truth to Trek buying the Yeti name I'd spend some time online looking for another job. I hear Mcdonalds is always looking and those new headsets they have in the drive thru look kinda cool.

Rock n' Roller
    I'm betting your on The Yeti payroll. That would make your opinion one sided. If there's any truth to Trek buying the Yeti name I'd spend some time online looking for another job. I hear Mcdonalds is always looking and those new headsets they have in the drive thru look kinda cool.
    The butthurt is strong with this one.

Moving on – I feel for you, OP. I really, really do, and I'm sorry that this (the original incident) and the following s%$storm happened to you.

But at the end of the day, this thread is ridiculous. The time and energy spent arguing, bashing, complaining, seething…could have been put towards something actually productive – like solving the problem. If bronsondude spent half the time he already spent responding to every single person he didn’t like on this forum, we could have solved world hunger or at the very least, some other important bike related issue.

Sure, it blows to have your new carbon frame break. It really does. But, dare I say it, first world problem.

I work with kids who can't imagine the luxury of having this problem...You still have a bike, that you love, and enjoy riding, and you can fix it for a price that you can afford.

Goodness, what some of us would’t give to have this problem. How about I trade you – you can take my crippling medical debt from my last knee surgery and I’ll take your SB95c frame and yeti’s compromise.

There, we’ll all be happy.

In short, I feel for you. And I know how terrible this feels. But it is time to stop talking and just get it taken care of. Bronson dude, go ride your Bronson. Others, go ride your yeti. OP and JP, work it out.

Ride on dirt and feel special boys. That is all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Confused, was browsing through a thread on SB75 vs SB95 and found this comment made not even 4 months ago.

I really only have rocky nasty terrain with alot of loose shale to ride in where I live ,

I generally would have to re-fab and weld up my aluminum bike main frame at least twice a year ( along with my buddies bikes ) and I would constantly be re-welding my rear section also to keep riding.

I watched over the last 3 years as all my buddies got carbon bikes and I really thought they would not last 2 months here , I was wrong , the carbon has been really really tough , we have so far broken two rear sections on Santa Cruse Tall Boys and that has been it for alittle over 3 1/2 years .

I have taken many really hard hits on the bottom of my Yeti's main frame and I have slammed it into the rocks on both sides and hit the rear section hundreds of times and the chassis is still straight and there is no carbon damage , I have ruined the finnish on the bike ( The Turquoise finnish is easy to chip and shows up badly , get the Black Raw finnish if you can ).

But I have to say that the carbon is way stronger than I originally thought.

There are several other failures I have seen out here on Ninner bikes , The main frame will break on some of the Ninners , I ride with one buddy that has the RDO and he has not had any problems with his and he absolutely beats the every living **** out of his and has no problems .
    I had one of the first SB95c and ARCc frame sets last year and evidently my ARCc was one of the fist of a batch that had a bad seat post portion of the frame since it snapped on the second ride, talk about a noise! They replaced it immediately only to find out there were about 100 affected frames with same issue on the ARCc.

And to be constructive, I'd be interested if you've got on your SB95c and mounted it while having someone else mark on the Switch hub and frame to show the indexing/mating of the two while riding. It would be interesting to see if there is an out of round tolerance in both the frame hub and switch insert at that indexing essentially meaning that the combination of tolerance of bushing, hub and insert wear makes for a wobbly position. I can take my SB95c and apply a ****-ton of pedal pressure while off the bike and get no real rear swing arm flex, but do notice more flex if I'm mounted and putting all of my ****-ton weight on the crank (250ish lbs geared up and powerful legs)

This might be a case where a bushing is a better application in the beginning with tighter tolerances, but a bushing will not spread the load through a majority of 360 degrees of surface as well as the dual bearing found on the SB66 over the life of the frame. I'm at 600 miles on my SB95c and have yet to do a tear down but don't plan to for at least another 500-1000 miles.
    They don't design these things for clydes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by some dude View Post
    Confused, was browsing through a thread on SB75 vs SB95 and found this comment made not even 4 months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    "I really only have rocky nasty terrain with alot of loose shale to ride in where I live ,

I generally would have to re-fab and weld up my aluminum bike main frame at least twice a year ( along with my buddies bikes ) and I would constantly be re-welding my rear section also to keep riding.

I watched over the last 3 years as all my buddies got carbon bikes and I really thought they would not last 2 months here , I was wrong , the carbon has been really really tough , we have so far broken two rear sections on Santa Cruse Tall Boys and that has been it for alittle over 3 1/2 years .

I have taken many really hard hits on the bottom of my Yeti's main frame and I have slammed it into the rocks on both sides and hit the rear section hundreds of times and the chassis is still straight and there is no carbon damage , I have ruined the finnish on the bike ( The Turquoise finnish is easy to chip and shows up badly , get the Black Raw finnish if you can ).

There are several other failures I have seen out here on Ninner bikes , The main frame will break on some of the Ninners , I ride with one buddy that has the RDO and he has not had any problems with his and he absolutely beats the every living **** out of his and has no problems ."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeez, that's pretty interesting.

The trolls were right; what a crap company Yeti is after all.
    Not.

mtbr member
    No wonder Bronsondude hates Yeti. They're "screwing" his buddy Kelster....

Yeti SB95 Carbon Build / Photo Thread - Page 4

mtbr member
    No wonder you hate Yeti. They're "screwing" your buddy Kelster....

troll

Chilling out
    This might be a case where a bushing is a better application in the beginning with tighter tolerances, but a bushing will not spread the load through a majority of 360 degrees of surface as well as the dual bearing found on the SB66 over the life of the frame. I'm at 600 miles on my SB95c and have yet to do a tear down but don't plan to for at least another 500-1000 miles.
    Tough call....but between June 2 '12 and Jan '14 I got a bit shy of 4k miles on my original bushing - I serviced the frame and pivots the first winter and while most of the bearings needed replacement (and all got replaced) I judged the bushing was fine, and it was. It clearly had more miles to go when I replaced it just this past Jan, but I figured it had enough miles on it to be worth changing out while doing the rest of the system just so I'd not need to think about it for '14.

Note that I *do* run the quad-o-ring on over the bushing, with a light coat of grease on the outside to help sealing, and also cut a quad-o-ring to fit on above the DS bearing to help seal it from the elements. The latter helped significantly as the DS bearing while needing replacement, in my judgement, was in a lot better shape after 12 months use than the original one I replace jan '13 that had barely six months on it.

Makes *me* wonder if, considering the low quantity of rotation, whether the '95/'75 would have been better off with a dual-bushing system.

mtbr member
    I am not the most trusting person but I try to believe in the good faith of most people unless they give a reason to not trust them. This time I am affraid Kelstr has a lot of explaining to do. That post clearly shows that he was very happy with his bike after putting it through a lot of trashing on very rough rocky conditions. At this point clearly he saw no issues with it and thought the carbon frame was holding up great to the abuse. This is, evidently, after he had recovered from his accident and was riding or hard. I find it hard for him to explain this one away. This is a bit disheartening because I wanted to believe that YETI and Kelstr were both coming from a good place but were simply not seeing eye to eye. The balance is clearly tilting in one direction here and this tread may be illuminating in the future when one of us runs into issues with a warranty, who could blame YETI if this prove to be true.

Sad day for the tribe.

Linoleum Knife
    Has Yeti even seen this rear triangle in person?
    Irrelevant.

The whole point of having a dealer network is to have someone else deal with these issues for you. You train your dealer network on what constitutes a warranty claim, and what doesn't. Then you trust your dealer network to do their job.

It's a business, not a charity.

Yeti is going to have a new policy on addressing customer service complaints via online forums.
    I agree with this. They shouldn't have touched this thread with a 10' pole.

The downside to this: I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they cease all activity on this forum.

mtbr member
    Irrelevant.

The whole point of having a dealer network is to have someone else deal with these issues for you. You train your dealer network on what constitutes a warranty claim, and what doesn't. Then you trust your dealer network to do their job.

It's a business, not a charity.

I agree with this. They shouldn't have touched this thread with a 10' pole.

The downside to this: I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they cease all activity on this forum.
    The final call is always with the manufacturer. The dealer has some leverage, but if I was a Yeti dealer and had a customer come in why would I not offer a warranty? Especially if I know it could go either way and Yeti is not going to see the damaged part. Yeti looking at the part is very relevant in this case.
    I'm sure the good folks at Yeti are still going to look at this forum and post where they feel appropriate. I would suggest that many manufacturers and their reps look at these sites and post on them all the time. You just don't know it.
    I don't doubt they will think twice about solving a warranty issue in public though.

Linoleum Knife
    The final call is always with the manufacturer. The dealer has some leverage, but if I was a Yeti dealer and had a customer come in why would I not offer a warranty? Especially if I know it could go either way and Yeti is not going to see the damaged part. Yeti looking at the part is very relevant in this case.
    I'm sure the good folks at Yeti are still going to look at this forum and post where they feel appropriate. I would suggest that many manufacturers and their reps look at these sites and post on them all the time. You just don't know it.
    I don't doubt they will think twice about solving a warranty issue in public though.
    There are a number of reasons you wouldn't do it.

Manufacturers keep very detailed metrics on everything their dealers do. Sales figures, warranty claims, targets, etc. etc. etc...

If you were to replace items like you suggest, your metrics fall out of line with all the other vendors, and then the manufacturer comes a calling. Maybe you lose your preferential status and have less of a markup. Maybe Yeti decides that you shouldn't be a dealer any more, and they yank their line from your shop.

From what I understand, Yeti doesn't fabricate much of anything in house. They outsource pretty much everything overseas now.
    So if Kelstr has a warranty claim, he takes it to a dealer. The dealer sends it to Yeti. Yeti sends it to China (or wherever they do) to get reimbursed.

If you warrantied an item that you couldn't bounce back up the food chain, then YOU are out the cost.

I would bet that Yeti actually does look at a lot of the VALID warranty claims. If there is a problem in manufacturing that is generating warranty claims, that needs to be addressed.

I would also bet that Yeti's profit on a $5K bike is less than the $600 that rear swingarm costs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterMTN View Post
    This thread makes me want a Yeti even more! One day, one day!
    I gotta say that the 95 is one hell of a machine and I stand by that statement , so even tho I got stuck in a disagreement on a warranty issue ,( I really know how to step in it ) I still love the dam thing and it works better than any other 29er I have ridden , so as long as you have an inside line to the inner circle of Yeti you should have no problems

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The rear swingarm does not cost yeti 600 to make and ship

Linoleum Knife
    The rear swingarm does not cost yeti 600 to make and ship

So how much exactly does it cost to manufacture a rear swingarm, ship to Yeti, keep in a warehouse, ship to the dealer, have the dealer install it, and pay the salary & benefits of every person who deals with it along the way?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgypsy View Post
    The butthurt is strong with this one.

Moving on – I feel for you, OP. I really, really do, and I'm sorry that this (the original incident) and the following s%$storm happened to you.

But at the end of the day, this thread is ridiculous. The time and energy spent arguing, bashing, complaining, seething…could have been put towards something actually productive – like solving the problem. If bronsondude spent half the time he already spent responding to every single person he didn’t like on this forum, we could have solved world hunger or at the very least, some other important bike related issue.

Sure, it blows to have your new carbon frame break. It really does. But, dare I say it, first world problem.

I work with kids who can't imagine the luxury of having this problem...You still have a bike, that you love, and enjoy riding, and you can fix it for a price that you can afford.

Goodness, what some of us would’t give to have this problem. How about I trade you – you can take my crippling medical debt from my last knee surgery and I’ll take your SB95c frame and yeti’s compromise.

There, we’ll all be happy.

In short, I feel for you. And I know how terrible this feels. But it is time to stop talking and just get it taken care of. Bronson dude, go ride your Bronson. Others, go ride your yeti. OP and JP, work it out.

Ride on dirt and feel special boys. That is all.
    I gotta say your post really does bring things back into proper perspective , I hope your knee is working fantastic and I pray those kids will have a great life .

I have one neighbor Kid that has some challenges and I have been working with him for 23 years ( he and his dog show up in some of my videos ) he has come along way and it makes me happy to see that

mtbr member
    There are a number of reasons you wouldn't do it.

Manufacturers keep very detailed metrics on everything their dealers do. Sales figures, warranty claims, targets, etc. etc. etc...

If you were to replace items like you suggest, your metrics fall out of line with all the other vendors, and then the manufacturer comes a calling. Maybe you lose your preferential status and have less of a markup. Maybe Yeti decides that you shouldn't be a dealer any more, and they yank their line from your shop.

From what I understand, Yeti doesn't fabricate much of anything in house. They outsource pretty much everything overseas now.
    So if Kelstr has a warranty claim, he takes it to a dealer. The dealer sends it to Yeti. Yeti sends it to China (or wherever they do) to get reimbursed.

If you warrantied an item that you couldn't bounce back up the food chain, then YOU are out the cost.

I would bet that Yeti actually does look at a lot of the VALID warranty claims. If there is a problem in manufacturing that is generating warranty claims, that needs to be addressed.

I would also bet that Yeti's profit on a $5K bike is less than the $600 that rear swingarm costs.
    Like I said Yeti seeing the part to be warrantied is very relevant, thanks for backing me up.
    I can't speak to what info Yeti keeps on their dealers other than order and credit histories. I would hope Matt also has relationships built with dealers who he trusts and some dealers who he knows are suspect. I would guess most dealers would not hesitate to send a broken/damaged part/frame in for Yeti's consideration of warranty, but I would not tell my customer what chances they have as I would be the person explaining why Yeti didn't warranty the part I said they would. It's Yeti's responsibility to stand behind their bikes, not mine. It's my responsibility to offer the best brands, service, and support to my customers. That responsibility includes not carrying brands that expose my customers to risk either in how they produce or support their products which I put in my shop.
    Dealer discounts and preferential status are all based on your order volume. By law they cannot "yank" the line as long as you are operating within the constraints of your dealer agreement.
    Yeti makes a lot more than $600 per $5K bike. There wouldn't be a Yeti with that margin no matter how lean they operate. Why do you think they moved production overseas years ago with the 575?

mtbr member
    So how much exactly does it cost to manufacture a rear swingarm, ship to Yeti, keep in a warehouse, ship to the dealer, have the dealer install it, and pay the salary & benefits of every person who deals with it along the way?
    That is why it cost $600. I would wager Yeti's landed cost is closer to $325.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That is why it cost $600. I would wager Yeti's landed cost is closer to $325.
    Agreed.

Yeti needs to make a profit. No business is there to break even.

Let's take $325, add $100 they'll have to reimburse the shop for labor, $30 for shipping. We'll just call it $450 with $150 profit on a warranty claim that is far from clear. That's not exactly raking in the money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    No wonder Bronsondude hates Yeti. They're "screwing" his buddy Kelster....

We should ride together sometime. I'd love to be 10 Miles out in the desert together and discuss this in person. One on one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I had one of the first SB95c and ARCc frame sets last year and evidently my ARCc was one of the fist of a batch that had a bad seat post portion of the frame since it snapped on the second ride, talk about a noise! They replaced it immediately only to find out there were about 100 affected frames with same issue on the ARCc.

And to be constructive, I'd be interested if you've got on your SB95c and mounted it while having someone else mark on the Switch hub and frame to show the indexing/mating of the two while riding. It would be interesting to see if there is an out of round tolerance in both the frame hub and switch insert at that indexing essentially meaning that the combination of tolerance of bushing, hub and insert wear makes for a wobbly position. I can take my SB95c and apply a ****-ton of pedal pressure while off the bike and get no real rear swing arm flex, but do notice more flex if I'm mounted and putting all of my ****-ton weight on the crank (250ish lbs geared up and powerful legs)

Very good points here some dude , I will answer this tomorrow I was working 10 hrs today welding TI for one of my aviation customers and I am smoked I have to get some sleep , I thought I could do this also tonight but I can't see straight anymore

Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    "I really only have rocky nasty terrain with alot of loose shale to ride in where I live ,

There are several other failures I have seen out here on Ninner bikes , The main frame will break on some of the Ninners , I ride with one buddy that has the RDO and he has not had any problems with his and he absolutely beats the every living **** out of his and has no problems ."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeez, that's pretty interesting.

The trolls were right; what a crap company Yeti is after all.
    Not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jftoha View Post
    I am not the most trusting person but I try to believe in the good faith of most people unless they give a reason to not trust them. This time I am affraid Kelstr has a lot of explaining to do. That post clearly shows that he was very happy with his bike after putting it through a lot of trashing on very rough rocky conditions. At this point clearly he saw no issues with it and thought the carbon frame was holding up great to the abuse. This is, evidently, after he had recovered from his accident and was riding or hard. I find it hard for him to explain this one away. This is a bit disheartening because I wanted to believe that YETI and Kelstr were both coming from a good place but were simply not seeing eye to eye. The balance is clearly tilting in one direction here and this tread may be illuminating in the future when one of us runs into issues with a warranty, who could blame YETI if this prove to be true.

Sad day for the tribe.
    Let me say that if the timeline is out of sequence my situation won't make sense .
    Yes , I am very happy with how well the Frame has held up with all the rocky riding we have here in AZ, Yetis rubber frame guards , my MRP AMG bash guard and my thick clear frame SHELTER tape have taken quite a pounding on the front triangle , as well as the bottom of the necked rear triangle .

We all know that carbon is stronger than aluminum .
    Here is how the time line goes from when I got my bike and started riding it.

I finally Got to ride my fresh SB95 on 7/2/13 , I had 5 really hard fun rides on slightly tamer familiar trails to get a good test on the bike at 120mm travel and work with chassis height and suspension feel .
    I loved the thing right off ,( Except the fork ) and I made videos of the first couple rides I believe .

Then on 7/10/13 we were in a car crash , that hurt my wife as well as I broke my left wrist, shoulder and arm.

So then on 7/18/13 I could just barely get upright on my Yeti to do some road rides with one hand at 0430 in the mornings 3-4 days a week to try and keep my cardio up .

I did this for many weeks waiting for my arm to heal from the plates screws and pins..

This is when I saw the first problems with the paint cracking on the left side of the chain stay from flex, it started as a split from the center of the chain stay and a split at the top , then one day as I wiped it down a bigger flake fell off in my rag ,( I believe a small little piece of pee gravel slung off from the tire and pecked the chain stay right at the top of the split to hit the flake loose and chip the week paint ) then I also started to notice the the bolt hole eyes on the triangle started to flake and crack around the aluminum sleeves , the right front one was getting bad.
    I kept doing the road rides

I made a video of the triangle showing the paint splitting and flaking and called Matt and sent him the video and explained what was going on and he said it looked like a rock hit it and told me to put nail polish on it and or take it to a Yeti dealer and see if it was cracked from the rock hit. I told him it was not cracked at this time and a rock did not cause this , and I have no need for a dealer , and since I get a lot of work from dealers I did not want to go down that road at this time.

( Looking back I believe I was blackballed right then and there because of my NOT needing a dealer )

I knew from the way I was treated on the phone from Yeti several times before this happened , and from Matt's response this time on the triangle defect I knew there was going to be a problem to get anything done .

But I just kept it to myself and kept riding and loving the bike , and making post about all the good in the bike , hence the post you took 4 months ago when I was riding and enjoying my bike , I continued to ride the bike when the flex was minimal to see if it would get worse , and it has gotten progressively worse

I kept the defect and flex I was getting silent and off the boards so I could give Yeti a chance to make it right .

The flex in the frame and triangle got steadily worse .

I finally made the "flexi" video and the "Torque procedure" video to send it to Yeti.
    And I called and called , I finally got to talk to Nick and he was real short with me but he did say they had many problems with the Turquoise bikes and especially the Turquoise rear triangles , but did not want any video , he would not give me "Chris Conroy" e- mail or his extension and told me I had to take the bike to a Yeti dealer and it would be taken care of there and that was all I could do .

So I took it to the dealer TWO times and waited and waited and finally was told it would be a crash replacement of the triangle and nothing more .

I had the shop call three different times and thats all they would do .
    My issue is I also a have frame flex at the switch axle as well as a rear triangle , by just getting a rear triangle it won't fix the whole problem.

So after some more waiting and calling I got no where with the shop or Yeti , I went ahead and posted this thread to tell others what I have gone through with this problem .

Then after this thread ran for 4 days and JP basically told me to go away I get a call from my bike shop and they said to strip my bike and bring the frame set in because Yeti wants it back ?

So that is pretty much how it went from what I can remember ,and this thread is so long now that is is really hard for people to understand the correct time line anyway .

mtbr member
    Common Bronsondude, do your flirting by email. This is a MTB board.

We should ride together sometime. I'd love to be 10 Miles out in the desert together and discuss this in person. One on one.

Greystoke
    Is this implying some sort of " Broke Back " action ?
    Not really my cup of tea but you Santa boys go for it...

Chilling out

You forgot r&d cost.

Plus dog food.

boomer
    And beer
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptsube2002 View Post
    Agreed.

Yeti needs to make a profit. No business is there to break even.

Let's take $325, add $100 they'll have to reimburse the shop for labor, $30 for shipping. We'll just call it $450 with $150 profit on a warranty claim that is far from clear. That's not exactly raking in the money.
    It's pretty obvious you don't work in this industry.

mtbr member
    You forgot r&d cost.

Plus dog food.

Good catch... Everyone always forgets the cost of feeding the shop dogs. In CO. It really adds up, especially when you throw in the milkbones and pig ears.

mtbr member
    It's pretty obvious your shop doesn't sell Yeti.

mtbr member
    It's pretty obvious your shop doesn't sell Yeti.
    I don't work in a shop, I work with a lot of shops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thankfully, it sounds like things have simmered down, and I hope that the OP and Yeti are able to resolve this to where they are both satisfied.

With that said, I would like to share a few of my experiences with Yeti over the last 10 years. I currently don't own a Yeti bike (DW Turner owner), and haven't since my 2007 AS-X. I have however ridden numerous 575, ASR, ASR7, SB66, SB95 and SB75 models. I'm a really big fan of switch link bikes, and think Yeti holds a really unique place in the cycling community. I also worked for one of the largest-volume Yeti dealers in the US for several years, and very likely built and sold 575s and ASRs for many on this forum.

In my time dealing with Yeti and their customers, we saw very few true warranty issues with our customers. When we did encounter manufacturing defects, Yeti was simply awesome to deal with. Same can be said for crash replacements. This was primarily in the pre-carbon days, but did include 575 carbon rears and ASR carbon bikes. However, carbon failure typically manifests from the inside, with a surface crack being a symptom of a greater cause. So, I really can't speak intelligently about this thread or the strange issue he is experiencing.

On my own AS-X, I had a rubbing issue on the seat tube under full compression, and Yeti helped troubleshoot this, and ultimately offered to replace the front triangle, several years after my purchase. Time and time again, they took care of our shop and our customers. There was always the customer who was 'JRA' (just riding along) when catastrophic frame failure or component occurred. Most often, we would learn that the owner crashed the bike, it fell from their vehicle, they ran it into their garage, or they built and were riding the bike outside of the manufacturers intentions. In these instances, the customer usually felt foolish and gladly accepted a crash replacement.

While there are always 2 sides to every story, I'd have a hard time believing that Yeti didn't try to do the right thing. It would be counter to every experience I've had in person or over the phone with their team, over hundreds of orders and builds and dozens of CS issues.

However, as many have stated, at this price point you're paying for exceptional craftsmanship, engineering and service. It's one of the reasons I'm on my 3rd Turner, and I could spew endlessly about the support that Dave and his team have provided to me and Turner dealers and customers I know. For whatever reason, that isn't the picture I get when reading this thread, which is disappointing for all.

I certainly hope the OP can stay on that sweet SB95C that he's built.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was talking about the cost of replacing the rear triangle for the OP. This is not a clear cut warranty case where the manufacture eats the costs. In this case they should make a profit.

Instead of putting me down, explain where i'm wrong. I may not work in the bike industry, but I've been in retail for 18 years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptsube2002 View Post
    I was talking about the cost of replacing the rear triangle for the OP. This is not a clear cut warranty case where the manufacture eats the costs. In this case they should make a profit.

Instead of putting me down, explain where i'm wrong. I may not work in the bike industry, but I've been in retail for 18 years.
    Honestly I'm not sure what you are looking for.
    Are you saying Yeti should charge more for crash replacements so offering them can be more profitable to Yeti? What is your question?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Do Yeti's even exist? I heard they were only urban legends. But seriously this situation sucks for both parties involved. Bummer for the OP his bike failed and bummer for Yeti that their customer felt the need to take it to a public forum and make it all out in the open. However I feel worse for Yeti because in this day and age anyone who can afford a computer and knows how to type can slam a company that has been around for years and really do some damage. Yeti was around from the beginning. I have never owned a Yeti but have always wanted to. I was deciding between the SB95C and Ibis Ripley but got a deal on the Ripley I couldn't pass up. However this whole thread would never make me pass on a Yeti. I am not saying the OP is dishonest or a bad guy but all I can say is I frequent a lot of forums. I have a lot of passions that include skiing, mtn biking and guitar playing and I have seen stuff like this unfold numerous times. I have to say the manufacturer is usually right.

Like I said I feel for the OP but when I read a quote like this it makes me believe that maybe you should think before slamming a company with a long and storied positive history. And again before people start calling me a fanboi I don't nor have I ever owned a Yeti here is my bike list:

1) 1989 Klein Pinnacle
    2) 2010 Ventana El Bastardo
    3) 2011 Ventana El Padrino
    4) 2013 Ibis Ripley

But don't go posting this stuff on the internet and then say the bike frame failed by riding it around your local blacktop streets.

I really only have rocky nasty terrain with alot of loose shale to ride in where I live ,

There are several other failures I have seen out here on Ninner bikes , The main frame will break on some of the Ninners , I ride with one buddy that has the RDO and he has not had any problems with his and he absolutely beats the every living **** out of his and has no problems .

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    Do Yeti's even exist? I heard they were only urban legends. But seriously this situation sucks for both parties involved. Bummer for the OP his bike failed and bummer for Yeti that their customer felt the need to take it to a public forum and make it all out in the open. However I feel worse for Yeti because in this day and age anyone who can afford a computer and knows how to type can slam a company that has been around for years and really do some damage. Yeti was around from the beginning. I have never owned a Yeti but have always wanted to. I was deciding between the SB95C and Ibis Ripley but got a deal on the Ripley I couldn't pass up. However this whole thread would never make me pass on a Yeti. I am not saying the OP is dishonest or a bad guy but all I can say is I frequent a lot of forums. I have a lot of passions that include skiing, mtn biking and guitar playing and I have seen stuff like this unfold numerous times. I have to say the manufacturer is usually right.

Like I said I feel for the OP but when I read a quote like this it makes me believe that maybe you should think before slamming a company with a long and storied positive history. And again before people start calling me a fanboi I don't nor have I ever owned a Yeti here is my bike list:

1) 1989 Klein Pinnacle
    2) 2010 Ventana El Bastardo
    3) 2011 Ventana El Padrino
    4) 2013 Ibis Ripley

But don't go posting this stuff on the internet and then say the bike frame failed by riding it around your local blacktop streets.
    Kelster has his timeline listed above. Maybe you should read it slower so you can absorb it. It's not a just riding along story. It's an I've had my $3200.00 frame 6 months and 2 of those 6 months were spent on the road after a car accident that wrecked his arm. Pay particular attention to the fact that he contacted Yeti shortly after spending all that cash inquiring that the paint was flaking off the swing arm where it bolts up. Anyone on here would be pissed if they were in his shoes and treated the way he's been treated. Other then the Yeti employees coming on here defending the company of coarse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kelster has his timeline listed above. Maybe you should read it slower so you can absorb it. It's not a just riding along story. It's an I've had my $3200.00 frame 6 months and 2 of those 6 months were spent on the road after a car accident that wrecked his arm. Pay particular attention to the fact that he contacted Yeti shortly after spending all that cash inquiring that the paint was flaking off the swing arm where it bolts up. Anyone on here would be pissed if they were in his shoes and treated the way he's been treated. Other then the Yeti employees coming on here defending the company of coarse.
    Yeah and you are about as biased as I have ever seen on a forum for bashing another company. Give me a break. You are a Santa Cruz lover and you love jumping into any **** storm to bash any company you don't like. Get a life pal. You are about as transparent as a windowpane. You make me laugh. I have read everything and don't need to read anything after reading the quote I posted above. If I was Yeti I would have told the OP to take a hike big time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow I have been following this thread from the beginning an normally stay quiet but it seems that you are either one of those people that love to throw away 3 grand or have never been wronged before. Is it unfathomable that corporate America would ever wrong someone?

Yeah and you are about as biased as I have ever seen on a forum for bashing another company. Give me a break. You are a Santa Cruz lover and you love jumping into any **** storm to bash any company you don't like. Get a life pal. You are about as transparent as a windowpane. You make me laugh. I have read everything and don't need to read anything after reading the quote I posted above. If I was Yeti I would have told the OP to take a hike big time.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004

No more Yeti for me .

I don't have a fight in this argument, but I've been in this exact situation before & many times manufactures do make mistakes. Shame on Yeti for saying no without personally examining this frame.
    This happened to me many years ago with Intense. I bought a $7k bike & within 3 months the bike almost snapped in half on me. I admitted to hitting a 1 foot tall jump & somehow by the time it got to them the story changed to the jump being much bigger. Intense blamed me for all sorts of problems: shock spring to small, crash, using the bike as not intended, etc... In the end after much back & forth exchange Marv (part owner of Intense) told me they would replace the frame as a one time good will gesture & suggested I buy a BMX bike. That did go over well with me & luckily the bike shop stepped in & let me buy another frame! I found out several months later more frames cracked in the exact same area & Intense found a faulty weld. To this day, I have never ever thought of buying another Intense, because of the rude remark Marv at Intense made. I've repeated this story many times & one simple apology from Marv at Intense would have gone along ways.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by JR270 View Post
    Is it unfathomable that corporate America would ever wrong someone?
    It's certainly reasonable that either end of the discussion can be "wrong" - but at this point for most of us keyboard surfers here how much does it really matter?

Aside: 'corporate' and 'yeti' don't really mix together well in my mind .... from the interactions I've had with people from yeti both online and IRL they're just not very 'corporate' if you ask me. I think that's a good thing. It also means I don't expect Yeti as a company to react like Specialized or Trek, I don't think it's reasonable for them to do so in most cases.

mtbr member
    It's certainly reasonable that either end of the discussion can be "wrong" - but at this point for most of us keyboard surfers here how much does it really matter?

Aside: 'corporate' and 'yeti' don't really mix together well in my mind .... from the interactions I've had with people from yeti both online and IRL they're just not very 'corporate' if you ask me. I think that's a good thing. It also means I don't expect Yeti as a company to react like Specialized or Trek, I don't think it's reasonable for them to do so in most cases.
    ^^^
    This. On all levels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by JR270 View Post
    Wow I have been following this thread from the beginning an normally stay quiet but it seems that you are either one of those people that love to throw away 3 grand or have never been wronged before. Is it unfathomable that corporate America would ever wrong someone?
    My thoughts exactly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My thoughts exactly.
    Well I guess all you guys who love slamming Yeti have completely disregarded the quote I put up from the original OP where he states that he has "taken many hard hits on his bottom bracket". But keep up the good work Bronsondude you just keep making yourself look like a biased idiot the more you open your big mouth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well I guess all you guys who love slamming Yeti have completely disregarded the quote I put up from the original OP where he states that he has "taken many hard hits on his bottom bracket". But keep up the good work Bronsondude you just keep making yourself look like a biased idiot the more you open your big mouth.
    You should really back off the caffeine intake. It's making you edgy. Save the name calling for your high school classes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbiker View Post
    I don't have a fight in this argument, but I've been in this exact situation before & many times manufactures do make mistakes. Shame on Yeti for saying no without personally examining this frame.
    This happened to me many years ago with Intense. I bought a $7k bike & within 3 months the bike almost snapped in half on me. I admitted to hitting a 1 foot tall jump & somehow by the time it got to them the story changed to the jump being much bigger. Intense blamed me for all sorts of problems: shock spring to small, crash, using the bike as not intended, etc... In the end after much back & forth exchange Marv (part owner of Intense) told me they would replace the frame as a one time good will gesture & suggested I buy a BMX bike. That did go over well with me & luckily the bike shop stepped in & let me buy another frame! I found out several months later more frames cracked in the exact same area & Intense found a faulty weld. To this day, I have never ever thought of buying another Intense, because of the rude remark Marv at Intense made. I've repeated this story many times & one simple apology from Marv at Intense would have gone along ways.

Thanks,

I hear you loud and clear mtbbiker , It really is sad the way Yeti operates , Im sure you saw my Flexi video , its obvious there is a problem with this carbon bike that I or nobody else could have caused , its just has flaws in the carbon.

Shouldn't have been a big deal to get it replaced with a good one , but I guess I would be wrong on that one .
    And as far as getting an apology for Yetis rude behavior and trying to throw mud on my name , I guess I would be wrong on that one too

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Might want to read over OP statements again genius. It's his swing arm that's trashed (that's the rear section) Not the bottom of the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Might want to read over OP statements again genius. It's his swing arm that's trashed (that's the rear section) Not the bottom of the frame.
    Do you blokes blow each other or something? I've never seen someone that is apparently unrelated to the OP care so much about a frame that isn't his.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Do you blokes blow each other or something? I've never seen someone that is apparently unrelated to the OP care so much about a frame that isn't his.
    Maybe a circle jerk as well. Bronsondude has definitely got an agenda and it is pretty funny that he is so transparent. Done wasting my time with him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Here's the quote:

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    WTF is a "bloke" ? LOL

EDR

WTF is a "bloke" ? LOL
    It's an extremely common term (across the globe) Perhaps going forward you should focus on expanding your horizons a little bit beyond your glass shell. Or just go on making fun of things you don't understand. That will likely keep you busy for a long time.

However I am guessing you fully know the term. You simply like being an instigator. Like Woody Woodpecker. Simply a sad testament to your maturity. Pink Bike is calling.

So which category do you fall into? Ignorant or immature? Either way I'm sure your future posts will inform us all.

mtbr member
    WTF is a "bloke" ? LOL

Bronsondude, please don't do Kelstr any more favors. He may be a party to this conflict but he is an articulate, smart, cool headed and rational member of this board. I am sure by now the last thing he wants is you trying to make his case for him. At this point you only hurt him with your irrational, reactive and immature behavior. Believe me, if you want to help him because you trust him, let him handle his own business because he does a much better job at that by himself.

Use your time better and go ride that Bronson, it is a killer bike and I am sure that is a better use of your time because here, your are not helping anybody.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004

No more Yeti for me .

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
    Here's the quote:
    I would imagine the OP exaggerate when he stated this. Watching his video, it didn't look like a bike that's been hammered by rocks. I've ridden in AZ & I know it's rockier than any other place I've ridden. Whenever I go it feels like I've been hammered by rocks, as well as my bike.

I don't know how many times I see people posts make statements like: i dropped 8' to flat all the time or I cleared that 40' double at Mammoth easily. People exaggerate all the time on MTBR.

E-Moderator
    Apr 2004

No more Yeti for me .

I hear you loud and clear mtbbiker , It really is sad the way Yeti operates , Im sure you saw my Flexi video , its obvious there is a problem with this carbon bike that I or nobody else could have caused , its just has flaws in the carbon.

Shouldn't have been a big deal to get it replaced with a good one , but I guess I would be wrong on that one .
    And as far as getting an apology for Yetis rude behavior and trying to throw mud on my name , I guess I would be wrong on that one too
    Kelstr, You've followed Yeti's policy on getting this handled & they have not even looked at the frame in person. I believe you have every right to educate people about what your going through.

Yeti JP, you guys can still come through this looking good, but you need to actually physically examine the frame yourself & then decide if it's a defect or crash related concern. Trust me people do read these forms & people do make purchasing decision based on reviews. I know every big purchase I make, I review carefully online & this would be a giant red flag! Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Kelstr, You've followed Yeti's policy on getting this handled ...

Not really, since he didn't take it to a dealer. He may or may not be getting screwed, but he didn't follow the policy. Hopefully a solution will be found offline, but when you say you "don't need to take it to the dealer", you are setting yourself up for problems from the start. Sorry about your bike, Kelstr. Maybe the lesson from all of this is should really be: If you have a potential warranty issue, get to your local dealer right away!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I know this thread is so long it is hard to follow the sequence of events, but I recall in the timeline post the op stated that he didn't take it in for the original paint flaking but he did take it to the dealer twice after the problem worsened

QUOTE=MTT77;11108735]Not really, since he didn't take it to a dealer. He may or may not be getting screwed, but he didn't follow the policy. Hopefully a solution will be found offline, but when you say you "don't need to take it to the dealer", you are setting yourself up for problems from the start. Sorry about your bike, Kelstr. Maybe the lesson from all of this is should really be: If you have a potential warranty issue, get to your local dealer right away![/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Fair, but if you call Yeti and they say - "take it to a dealer"...
    and then you say "a rock did not cause this , and I have no need for a dealer , and since I get a lot of work from dealers I did not want to go down that road at this time"...
    ...then you're setting yourself up for failure. From a corporate perspective, I can see Yeti thinking "here's a guy that may or may not have a bad rear triangle, but he doesn't want to take it to a dealer. Something is fishy here".

OP set himself up for failure by not doing what Yeti told him. Right or wrong, sometimes you've got to follow the policy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
    Here's the quote:
    Yes , I said this and anybody that rides here gets rock strikes thrown up from the front wheel witch does contact the down tube and the bottom of the chain stay , and Im sure most all mountain bikers get this to some degree even on lesser rockier terrain , I can ride on what little buff single track we have here and still hear the pecks and taps , we all know the carbon really does makes a very loud sound when being hit compared to the aluminum and I will say again the rubber pads that Yeti has on the bottom of the main frame and on the chain stay do a wonderful job of protecting the fininish ( "Good Job Yeti" on these pads and chain strips ) but you still hear the hit very differently than on an aluminum bike .

Now with that said ,I made the post in question answering a guy who was asking about which color to get on his 95C ( I think ), I was letting him know the Turquoise bikes paint has a problem and chips really easy , but the bike it self is really good and the black will stay looking better longer .

Does the bike get hurt from these rock hits , no , have I hurt the paint on my bike , yes the paint really pecks right off on some of the turquoise bikes.

(Nick from Yeti admitted that they had problems with the paint and flex on the turquoise bikes)

what little pecks in the paint I have on my bike are in no way responsible for the immediate flex and delamination problems I have had in this frame set from new , this Frame set had this problem long before I had the strength to really ride the bike in the hack because of my car crash .

The videos and time line clearly show that what I am saying is true and there were no chips or paint damage before I was getting the flex and paint cracking .

You watch the Flexi video and its clear that this is a structural failure inside the carbon of this bike and it started long before there were any rock hits at all

Kelstr, You've followed Yeti's policy on getting this handled & they have not even looked at the frame in person. I believe you have every right to educate people about what your going through.

Yeti JP, you guys can still come through this looking good, but you need to actually physically examine the frame yourself & then decide if it's a defect or crash related concern. Trust me people do read these forms & people do make purchasing decision based on reviews. I know every big purchase I make, I review carefully online & this would be a giant red flag! Just a thought.

mtbbiker I hear you , you have been through this also so you know its hard to come on an open forum and write a thread like this , I like all these guys on here very much and can't wait to ride with them ,and what makes it worse is I really like the dam bike .

The other thing that really sucks is AZ is really a small MTB community , every time I go ride somebody asks me "hay have you seen the Yeti Forum" , and I have to say yes I am the IDIOT MORON that started that thread and THIS IS THE BIKE , and they all are in shock , and I tell them the bike is great , but be careful if you don't have connections to getting warranty if need be .

So this is not an easy thing to do .

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes , I said this and anybody that rides here gets rock strikes thrown up from the front wheel witch does contact the down tube and the bottom of the chain stay , and Im sure most all mountain bikers get this to some degree even on lesser rockier terrain , I can ride on what little buff single track we have here and still hear the pecks and taps , we all know the carbon really does makes a very loud sound when being hit compared to the aluminum and I will say again the rubber pads that Yeti has on the bottom of the main frame and on the chain stay do a wonderful job of protecting the fininish ( "Good Job Yeti" on these pads and chain strips ) but you still hear the hit very differently than on an aluminum bike .
    The quote I posted of you (slammed into rocks) and the above read completely different, at least to me. The clarification you just posted indicates rocks impacting the frame from riding whereas the quote I posted indicates the frame impacting the rocks from you riding it.

If I were in your shoes, I would take the crash replacement, sell the bike and move on.

It really seems like a stalemate.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Wow.What a thread. I've owned a couple Yetis in the past and thought they were great. Couple of my riding buds still own them.

I do know Kelstr personally and have ridden with him. He's a very good rider and we ride extremely difficult and nasty trails here in AZ.

I don't personally have a dog in this fight, but I know Kel to be a stand-up guy that wouldn't create this sort of drama if he didn't feel he was in the right.

Sure stinks when two good guys (in this case, Kel and Yeti) have been pitted against one another. Hope it gets worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've got no dog in this fight either, just read the whole damn thread because I am a new Yeti owner. I'd still buy another Yeti.

So this bike in question was ridden hard, when initially purchased. So hard, it had paint chips on the stays. (at least one). Why isn't it possible that this chip was an indicator of a crack developing? As he then took it on the road to recovery, the crack grew to the point of major flex.

It seems like this is possible but I'm grasping at straws here. The actual defect hasn't been shown, which seems odd. With that much flex, it should be obvious where a crack would be or bad pivot point. If I was the owner, I'd wan't that in Yeti's hands to tell me specifically what failed, and then have the discussion of why and whose fault.

Best of luck to all involved.

Illuminati
    kelstr, I've skim read this, although I did watch your video. I'm not going to take sides & I really cant be bothered to drawn into any online arguments, but for your own personal safety you need to stop riding this frame (if you havent already) or risk potentially massive personal injury

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd ride it bust my butt and sue the pants off of yeti. Would serve them right. Jury would side with you given all the evidence

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd ride it bust my butt and sue the pants off of yeti. Would serve them right. Jury would side with you given all the evidence
    Worst post of entire thread.
    Injuries suck, and lawsuits threaten the existence of (and any innovation at) small to mid size companies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well the post prior to it was horrible as well. I work in a field that gets sued all the time by nd complaints from people who don't even pay for the services rendered and we lose. Now this would e for a valid complaint and if yeti doesn't want to take care of a warranty claim its their own fault. Just saying

mtbr member
    May 2011

nice trolling, that's downright laughable. No amount of butthurt will ever fix a snapped/crashed frame

Linoleum Knife

You'd lose, when Yeti's lawyers pointed out the online videos and loooong thread debating the issue showing a known, pre-existing issue. Whether it's a warranty issue or not, continued use of a broken product would release them from any liability.

You know you can turn off that tapatalk message, right?

mtbr member
    Yeti is not looking good on this one. I purchased a frame from another company and when I received it I found a couple of paint blems on the frame. I contacted them and they offered to replace the frame or give me a refund. Take note Yeti.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    It's an extremely common term (across the globe) Perhaps going forward you should focus on expanding your horizons a little bit beyond your glass shell. Or just go on making fun of things you don't understand. That will likely keep you busy for a long time.

However I am guessing you fully know the term. You simply like being an instigator. Like Woody Woodpecker. Simply a sad testament to your maturity. Pink Bike is calling.

So which category do you fall into? Ignorant or immature? Either way I'm sure your future posts will inform us all.
    Wow. Thanks for that. I do feel I'm a lot like woody woodpecker. Among others. And now back to our regularly scheduled program....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I read this thread a couple of times, I am more inclined to take Yeti's side because I have spoke with Matt several times concerning different inquiries about my SB66A frame and he has ALWAYS been very attentive and very easy to get to. He has a response time of minutes (I kid you not!).
    Why do people say Yeti said no? From reading through the thread, it seems like they made more than one offer (different ones) and the OP doesn't want to accept them. Yeti gave him instructions to reach them and get what he wants/deserve, yet he still doesn't want to go with it. He doesn't want his frame to be inspected? Why?
    Let's not kid ourselves, any MTBing is pretty much abuse to these frames (weren't they created to be abused) and chances are he's crashed his bike and done all sorts of things to it. All this is taken into account when Yeti builds a frame. Poop happens but he should what is needed to be done to get his replacement done. And they asked for the entire frame to be dropped off at the dealer for complete inspection. Do that and see what they will tell you in return. Where is the problem now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That's a great question. Why doesn't the OP want to follow the warranty procedure and have his frame inspected?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mahrous View Post
    I read this thread a couple of times, I am more inclined to take Yeti's side because I have spoke with Matt several times concerning different inquiries about my SB66A frame and he has ALWAYS been very attentive and very easy to get to. He has a response time of minutes (I kid you not!).
    Why do people say Yeti said no? From reading through the thread, it seems like they made more than one offer (different ones) and the OP doesn't want to accept them. Yeti gave him instructions to reach them and get what he wants/deserve, yet he still doesn't want to go with it. He doesn't want his frame to be inspected? Why?
    Let's not kid ourselves, any MTBing is pretty much abuse to these frames (weren't they created to be abused) and chances are he's crashed his bike and done all sorts of things to it. All this is taken into account when Yeti builds a frame. Poop happens but he should what is needed to be done to get his replacement done. And they asked for the entire frame to be dropped off at the dealer for complete inspection. Do that and see what they will tell you in return. Where is the problem now?

Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    That's a great question. Why doesn't the OP want to follow the warranty procedure and have his frame inspected?
    I know this thread is hard to follow if you do not read the whole thing in order .
    I have followed the warranty procedure , the bike has been inspected two times by an authorized Yeti Dealer.

The dealer said they found a crack ( they were wrong ) in the rear triangle and sent pictures to Yeti , (which should have at least gotten a rear section warrantied out , not to mention the crack around the bolt eyes that was there since new )
    Yeti said I caused the crack ( which is not a crack) and would only go with a $600.00 crash replacement triangle and thats was it.

So thats how we got to this thread , and if you will read JPs post where he is calling me a liar and he said "we went well beyond our contractual warranty obligations and made offers that were not accepted."
    I was made only one offer," to pay for a new rear section " , there were no other offers.
    So no I will not pay for a component that was bad from new ( would either one of you guys do that ,,,,I think not )

I got a call from the bike shop 4 days after this video aired and the shop said Yeti wants the frame sent back to them, so I will be sending it in here shortly after I get my new bike built and see what happens .

At least that's the way it stands for now .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast