New 2019 Yeti XC- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member

New 2019 Yeti XC

Word is they are working on a replacement to the ASR. It uses the Switch Infinity suspension and would bet 100mm of travel f/r. Anyone know details?
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    SE Racing PK Ripper Loop Tail

mtbr member
    I donít think anyone has seen it yet outside of yeti employees but Iíve heard the same.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I do hope so. I am looking for a replacement for my current asrc and there is just nothing out there like it at least what I have been able to try. I replaced my tallboy 3 for the yeti and have had zero regrets. I also have a hightower that rarely gets ridden because I always grab the yeti first. just the combination of climbing and descending in a lightweight bike I have yet to find an equal for the east coast trails I ride. if they can keep the frame weight in the mid 4 pound range but go to the switch suspension I will be first inline. Unless santacruz or intense get back to making a lightweight 100-110mm xc/trail bike first.
    2021 Specialized S-works epic EVO
    2020 Specialized epic hardtail

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've also heard rumors.

If it has a bottle cage, sign me up.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    I've also heard rumors.

If it has a bottle cage, sign me up.
    Or two.

I'm a pretty flexible dude but the under-side downtube bottle cage is useless for anything other than a tool keg. Bending down there on anything other than a smooth road is a great way to knock out your teeth.

That said, it's going to have to be something special. Plenty of other companies making comparable bikes, and many at better prices.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICYZ View Post
    Word is they are working on a replacement to the ASR. It uses the Switch Infinity suspension and would bet 100mm of travel f/r. Anyone know details?
    Many of us are waiting for it... 120mm and 67 Ď5 HT angle would be fantastic! Letís see if it comes to light next summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Or two.

I'm a pretty flexible dude but the under-side downtube bottle cage is useless for anything other than a tool keg. Bending down there on anything other than a smooth road is a great way to knock out your teeth.

That said, it's going to have to be something special. Plenty of other companies making comparable bikes, and many at better prices.

what do you see as comparable? I feel like there is either true trail bikes(tallboy, ripley ls, 4.5, stumpjumper, fuel ex) or dedicated race bikes(epic, top fuel, scott spark) but not alot of near 4lb frames that can do most things a 140mm frame can do. I just wish bike companies were like car companies where they would hype an upcoming model up with some info before the new model comes out. seems like if a bike company said yeah we have this coming out next year people wouldn't jump brands so much.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by tony110672 View Post
    what do you see as comparable? I feel like there is either true trail bikes(tallboy, ripley ls, 4.5, stumpjumper, fuel ex) or dedicated race bikes(epic, top fuel, scott spark) but not alot of near 4lb frames that can do most things a 140mm frame can do. I just wish bike companies were like car companies where they would hype an upcoming model up with some info before the new model comes out. seems like if a bike company said yeah we have this coming out next year people wouldn't jump brands so much.
    Well, the Spark RC has more "trail bike" geometry than the ASRc does, despite coming with a 100mm fork up front. Same HTA, longer reach, shorter CS, etc. Bump that up to a 120mm fork and you're looking at a 67.5į HTA, where the ASRc is 68.5 at that length.

I love my ASRc, but I don't think it can do things a 140mm bike can do. Taking it down a trail like Captain Ahab you quickly learn the limits of 100mm in the back. Can you knock out a blazing fast Hymasa/Ahab lap? Yeah. But the descent isn't remotely comparable to what you could do on a 130/120 or longer travel bike.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, the Spark RC has more "trail bike" geometry than the ASRc does, despite coming with a 100mm fork up front. Same HTA, longer reach, shorter CS, etc. Bump that up to a 120mm fork and you're looking at a 67.5į HTA, where the ASRc is 68.5 at that length.

I love my ASRc, but I don't think it can do things a 140mm bike can do. Taking it down a trail like Captain Ahab you quickly learn the limits of 100mm in the back. Can you knock out a blazing fast Hymasa/Ahab lap? Yeah. But the descent isn't remotely comparable to what you could do on a 130/120 or longer travel bike.

there is always a better bike for a particular trail and even a particular rider. If moab were my local trails or sedona or santa cruz california or probably anywhere west of the mississippi I may hate the asrc but for me and my trails it is the best bike I have ridden on the trails I ride 90% of the time. I still take my hightower out on occasion for the crazier trails but always miss the yeti and is probably the reason I will sell the hightower this winter because it gets so little use. Last time I was in moab I had my santacruz 5010 and did ahab but I go out west once every 2 years if I am lucky. I am on the east coast where it is dirt, roots and alot of rocks, up down and everything in between. geometry is only part of what a bike is or isn't. Sure you could you throw a 120 on an epic or spark rc but its not what it was designed for and I hate both the brain shock and scotts switch lock. I have never used a lock out on any shock or fork I have had. I have ridden the new spark and new epic and they still are just too far on the xc side of the spectrum. I went from a tallboy 1 to a tallboy 2 to a tallboy LT to a 5010 to an evil following to an ibis HD3 to a tallboy3 to a hightower to the asrc and for the riding I do 90% of the time the asrc is the best bike by far for the job. But there was a time my 26" santa cruz heckler was the best bike I ever had so I am sure there will be something new in the future that I will feel that way about. But for me currently I have not seen or ridden anything that can replace it. I had hardtails that could climb better and most of my previous bikes descended alittle better but not one combined the overall fun feel that I was looking for. Maybe its just the fit for my size who knows it just is the most fun bike i have ridden. I am just talking about my trails and my type of riding this bike is the best i have owned. i almost bought a 2nd frame when they went on sale so that if this one got too beat up i had a replacement. Dream frame would be 100-120mm 4.2-4.4lb weight fox dps shock at least one water bottle in frame built by yeti and as sexy as the 4.5 or 5.5. really a light duty 4.5 designed for a 120mm fork with an inframe water bottle mount would be perfect. Maybe too much overlap to a 4.5 so will never happen but guess we will see next year.

Formerly of Kent
    there is always a better bike for a particular trail and even a particular rider. If moab were my local trails or sedona or santa cruz california or probably anywhere west of the mississippi I may hate the asrc but for me and my trails it is the best bike I have ridden on the trails I ride 90% of the time. I still take my hightower out on occasion for the crazier trails but always miss the yeti and is probably the reason I will sell the hightower this winter because it gets so little use. Last time I was in moab I had my santacruz 5010 and did ahab but I go out west once every 2 years if I am lucky. I am on the east coast where it is dirt, roots and alot of rocks, up down and everything in between. geometry is only part of what a bike is or isn't. Sure you could you throw a 120 on an epic or spark rc but its not what it was designed for and I hate both the brain shock and scotts switch lock. I have never used a lock out on any shock or fork I have had. I have ridden the new spark and new epic and they still are just too far on the xc side of the spectrum. I went from a tallboy 1 to a tallboy 2 to a tallboy LT to a 5010 to an evil following to an ibis HD3 to a tallboy3 to a hightower to the asrc and for the riding I do 90% of the time the asrc is the best bike by far for the job. But there was a time my 26" santa cruz heckler was the best bike I ever had so I am sure there will be something new in the future that I will feel that way about. But for me currently I have not seen or ridden anything that can replace it. I had hardtails that could climb better and most of my previous bikes descended alittle better but not one combined the overall fun feel that I was looking for. Maybe its just the fit for my size who knows it just is the most fun bike i have ridden. I am just talking about my trails and my type of riding this bike is the best i have owned. i almost bought a 2nd frame when they went on sale so that if this one got too beat up i had a replacement. Dream frame would be 100-120mm 4.2-4.4lb weight fox dps shock at least one water bottle in frame built by yeti and as sexy as the 4.5 or 5.5. really a light duty 4.5 designed for a 120mm fork with an inframe water bottle mount would be perfect. Maybe too much overlap to a 4.5 so will never happen but guess we will see next year.
    The non-RC, 120/120mm Spark is an interesting option, too.

That said, the best one-bike I've ever ridden was the 2016 Trek Fuel EX.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The non-RC, 120/120mm Spark is an interesting option, too.

almost bought a 120mm spark frame but hate the twinlock and can't see any other fox shock that will fit. I do like that bike alot. the 2016 fuel ex was a great bike I feel they ruined it alittle for the 17'. rumor specialized is working on a new camber too that may be nice if it has a normal shock.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Add the Scalple to the comparble bikes list

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...pel-SE-2,21277

mtbr member
    May 2013
    East coast riding anything 10+ miles I prefer bigger wheels, lighter, and shorter travel. Yea, if I were doing the full enchilada at moab I'd probably go for a longer travel 27.5. My everyday bike is the ASRC

Formerly of Kent
    almost bought a 120mm spark frame but hate the twinlock and can't see any other fox shock that will fit. I do like that bike alot. the 2016 fuel ex was a great bike I feel they ruined it alittle for the 17'. rumor specialized is working on a new camber too that may be nice if it has a normal shock.
    There's a Fox DPS Trunnion mount in 165x45 for 2018.

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...oat-black-body
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

oh boy I did not know that. Hurry up Yeti or I may be owning my 1st Scott. thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    I realize it leans a bit more toward the trail side of the spectrum than the '16 but I picked up a '18 Trek Fuel EX and I'm shocked at how versatile it is with 130mm front and rear and 26 lbs on the nose. With a carbon post, saddle and some XC rims and tires I could easily get it to under 25 lbs.

chasing simplicity

Not to derail the thread, but it's weird...the Spark RC models list a 165 x 40 but the non-RC Spark models list 165 x 45...does that seem right or a typo? Thought the frames were same mold, just different material. I'm with Tony...considering FS bikes for next year and don't really want the twinloc.

On topic: I stopped in to World Wide Cyclery (ten mins from my house) which is the nearest Yeti dealer to me and they don't have details but they were pretty sure a new ASRc is coming...lighter, boost, etc.
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but it's weird...the Spark RC models list a 165 x 40 but the non-RC Spark models list 165 x 45...does that seem right or a typo? Thought the frames were same mold, just different material. I'm with Tony...considering FS bikes for next year and don't really want the twinloc.

On topic: I stopped in to World Wide Cyclery (ten mins from my house) which is the nearest Yeti dealer to me and they don't have details but they were pretty sure a new ASRc is coming...lighter, boost, etc.
    The RC is a 100/100mm bike.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...icle=265228006

The non-RC is a 120/120mm bike.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...spark-900-bike

Like you guys, I don't want a remote for my suspension. Thus, my suggestion of swapping out the shock for a 165x45 DPS with trunnion mount on the non-RC.
    Death from Below.

CFH
    mtbr member
    I cant tell you much I agree with this... they need to stop keeping crap so hush hush... Sorry but I jumped ship last week with a pivot 429sl... why?? because Yeti has not said anything about a xc bike in there line up... its all rumors. When racing season hits I dont want to be scrambling on building/learning the new bike. This "stay tuned" on there facebook page a month or two back was bs. I raced my 4.5 last year and it didnt turn like a xc bike because of the slack, even with a 130mm on the front. The lack of a water bottle in the tri also makes a non xc bike, especially for the time trials when you dont need a camelback. But I do hope they come out with a xc bike because Ill probably pick one up in the coming years, just needed to make my move now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

New 2019 Yeti XC

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I cant tell you much I agree with this... they need to stop keeping crap so hush hush... Sorry but I jumped ship last week with a pivot 429sl... why?? because Yeti has not said anything about a xc bike in there line up... its all rumors. When racing season hits I dont want to be scrambling on building/learning the new bike. This "stay tuned" on there facebook page a month or two back was bs. I raced my 4.5 last year and it didnt turn like a xc bike because of the slack, even with a 130mm on the front. The lack of a water bottle in the tri also makes a non xc bike, especially for the time trials when you dont need a camelback. But I do hope they come out with a xc bike because Ill probably pick one up in the coming years, just needed to make my move now.
    Which is exactly what Yeti (Jon P) would tell you to do! If yeti isnít making the bike you want/need at the time youíre ready to purchase, go buy a bike that will make you happy and ride. Donít wait for the bike that may or may not happen.

Having said that...Iím speculating that Yeti will eventually come out with a light weight 120mm SI XC Bike with 69* ha and 2 water bottles, boost, internal cable routing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent
    I actually doubt that Yeti will re-enter the "XC" game. It's just not their market anymore.

Bikes that require you to pedal vigorously for long periods of time don't sell well these days. At least in the US.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I actually doubt that Yeti will re-enter the "XC" game. It's just not their market anymore.

Bikes that require you to pedal vigorously for long periods of time don't sell well these days. At least in the US.
    Generally, I agree. But that contradicts what Yeti has hinted at on Facebook.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    April.
    100mm, SI, don't know about 1 or 2 cages.
    Local importer has ridden it, best bike he's ever ridden (would say that though...)
    2019 Trance 29
    2018 Epic
    Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If it has a bottle inside the front triangle and is under 5lbs, I'm in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If bike brands were constantly announcing what was "up and coming for next year" it would be impossible for retailers (the brand's actual 'customer') to sell in-stock product. If they can't sell whats on the showroom floor, they won't order pre-season. If they don't order pre-season the brand (who no longer actually manufactures anything) can't schedule production runs and secure manufacturing time. If they can't do that they can't get bikes built. I mean, they could forgo the retailers entirely and sell direct to consumer but then the consumer has a whole new set of problems...
    Last edited by Whitebike; 11-30-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: cleaning up wording

mtbr member

it's definitely coming. Plus... the front range is literally nothing BUT XC. You could argue there's no reason for anything but a 4.5 or a 5 for all of the trails around here until you head into the mountains or desert.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    sea otter
    bikeporn is protected speech

mtbr member
    My LBS Yeti rep has also confirmed it without giving details.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Look at the Storck Adrenic. It's got 120 rear/140mm front travel and steep head tube. I also ride the rocks/roots of the East and actually want to feel what I'm riding on. I ride to pedal, not just bomb down hills, the Adrenic has more of the old-school geometry on 27.5" wheels plus light as a feather if you spend on the build. You can import the lower level carbon XT 2x11 from Germany for about $4800 all in. I've called every Storck dealer in the NE, and no one has one.

Storckworld

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    it's definitely coming. Plus... the front range is literally nothing BUT XC. You could argue there's no reason for anything but a 4.5 or a 5 for all of the trails around here until you head into the mountains or desert.
    Oh, I agree with you there.

But, I still think XC bikes, for better or worse, are becoming increasingly rare birds. I rarely see them out on the trails here.
    Death from Below.

Freezer
    [QUOTE=CFH;13437393]Sorry but I jumped ship last week with a pivot 429sl... why?? because Yeti has not said anything about a xc bike in there line up... its all rumors./QUOTE]

I did the same thing last month and got the Pivot 429SL, even though I started out dead set on a Yeti XC rig. No LBS within two states of NorCal had a ASRC to demo, and the 4.5 felt too lumbering for extended climbs on minimally technical terrain. I got the 429SL under 22lb, and it rides like a dream, but damn, it will never look as pretty as a Yeti... I still miss my original ARC-AS from back in the day blinged out with Ringle anodized components like Missy and Tinker used to ride. :-)

mtbr member
    I've been debating between the Niner RKT9 and Pivot 429SL for XC endurance racing. I was very happy with my two previous Niners (Jet9, Air9 RDO), so the RKT looks like the better fit for me right now, but I'd be VERY interested in a Yeti if they offer an XC bike in the near future. Hoping Yeti shares some info soon!

Freezer
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I've been debating between the Niner RKT9 and Pivot 429SL for XC endurance racing. I was very happy with my two previous Niners (Jet9, Air9 RDO), so the RKT looks like the better fit for me right now, but I'd be VERY interested in a Yeti if they offer an XC bike in the near future. Hoping Yeti shares some info soon!
    Niner just filed Chapter 11. They say theyíre solvent, but something to consider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    Niner just filed Chapter 11. They say theyíre solvent, but something to consider.
    I've have been following the bankruptcy story as much as possible. So far it sounds like more of a reorganization move than a financial failure, and they already had local buyers before filing bankruptcy. Right now it sounds like they could come out stronger on the other end, but I don't like the fact they needed to file bankruptcy to get that done. That said, they build great bikes ... at least that's been my experience with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have been informed that Yeti will introduce a short travel bike in the not too distance future. The next big bike show on the radar is the Sea Otter Classic in April'18 and Yeti have launched new models there before e.g. ARC-C was launched April 19th 2013 at.....Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well I'm looking forward to April! Who did you talk to?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Sea Otter is the next major event for the bike industry although inter bike and Eurobike are earlier than normal I understand. I would like to think that they could launch something at Sea Otter. All I know is that something short travel will be revealed in the not too distant future (whenever that is?) from what I have been told.

Tribe Member
    Plus Yeti just started showing XC race kits in their store.

Yeti Cycles - Gear - IRONTON XC JERSEY
    Yeti Cycles - Gear - IRONTON XC BIB
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post

Those look like they're from the mid-2000s.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

You couldn't pay me to wear those

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    You couldn't pay me to wear those
    I bet you would for the right amount of money....

mtbr member
    May 2017
    What ever is coming out I'll buy it. Love my ASR!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by paulc86 View Post
    What ever is coming out I'll buy it. Love my ASR!
    +3New 2019 Yeti XC-20180127_120232.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The wait is too long
    No news? No info?

mtbr member
    Should be announced right before Sea Otter with the bike to be on display at the Otter....maybe
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Devinci Spartan
    20' Enduro 29
    20' Epic HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah what's weird is that I thought he had already announced he was on Yeti? Either way, I Jonathan Lee mentioned he "may or may not be on a new bike" by Sedona MTB festival which is in the beginning of March

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Kabush with Yeti is such a great fit. Super cool guy, and probably just about the best descender among the xc crowd.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Kabush with Yeti is such a great fit. Super cool guy, and probably just about the best descender among the xc crowd.
    There are likely quite a few active WC guys who'd take issue with that last part.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Seen him plenty. Stand by it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hardtail Yeti was shown on instagram this morning if you were paying attention. I saved some pics

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
    Hardtail Yeti was shown on instagram this morning if you were paying attention. I saved some pics
    Do share!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    let me know if that works, i can see the pics fine but i know others have had trouble uploading.
    Last edited by triplenet; 02-13-2018 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like a Ď14 carbon Arc....

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Disregard then Haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I see a water bottle in the frame... fingers crossed for switch infinity...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Also looks like a shock on the TT, like ASR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    - Doesnít look like SI system
    - HTA XC mode
    + water bottle

Letís see what comes out!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Woooo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by junior77 View Post
    and 2 water bottles
    Both under the downtube right?
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The guessing game has the 2019 XC Yeti as non-SI, Boost, lightweight and bottle in main frame. Probably stock with Fox DPS. And expensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It would be nice to know soon. I would hate buy a Pivot and miss out...
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    It would be nice to know soon. I would hate buy a Pivot and miss out...
    I agree. amazes me that bike manufacturers are not like car manufacturers. They release teases and info on a car a year in advance and people will put deposits on a hot car not released for a year without even seeing it in person or driving it. I understand needing to get rid of current stock but in the case of the asrc there is none so why not release a couple photos and some spec and geometry of what will come and start some hype instead of some grainy sasquatch photo that shows nothing. crazy way to do business but most of the bike brands are the same.

Formerly of Kent
    "Something might be coming, but in the meanwhile, please go spend your money on actual, existing products brought to the consumer by companies that care about this segment of the market." -Yeti/Bike Industry standard.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    After some "zooming and enhancing", more like doodling and finger painting. Looks like there could room in here for the Switch Infinity.

https://imgur.com/zxAjHkY

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    After some zooming on this Instagrampicture it looks more like a new ASR than a new SB.

- The curve on the chainstay looks similar to the ASR.
    - The shock is mounted on the top tube like on the ASR.
    - And the bike looks to have a extra triangle between the seattube and the toptube as on the ASR.

I think it's impossible to tell if the bike has SI or not from this picture.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by The Yeti Viking View Post
    After some zooming on this Instagrampicture it looks more like a new ASR than a new SB.

- The curve on the chainstay looks similar to the ASR.
    - The shock is mounted on the top tube like on the ASR.
    - And the bike looks to have a extra triangle between the seattube and the toptube as on the ASR.

I think it's impossible to tell if the bike has SI or not from this picture.
    It's undoubtedly an ASR. But the question is, why allow a spy shot with the linkage hidden if its the same old linkage?

Here is a dark horse option: what if they put the old Switch mechanism in the ASR? It doesn't jive with the TT shock option but hey, who knows right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    IMO, in the weight weenie XC world, a Switch mechanism simply adds too many grams. Flex stays is where itís at. Even the Big S went back to them.

Formerly of Kent

New 2019 Yeti XC

Quote Originally Posted by shoopow View Post
    IMO, in the weight weenie XC world, a Switch mechanism simply adds too many grams. Flex stays is where itís at. Even the Big S went back to them.
    Yeah, I don't understand the want/need/desire for SI on a 100mm bike.

There are close to a dozen high end XC bikes with flex seat stays when last I checked. Scott, Kona, Cannondale, Orbea, Specialized, etc. At some point adding weight for a linkage that isn't much of, if any improvement, seems like a solution in need of a problem.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah, I don't understand the want/need/desire for SI on a 100mm bike.

There are close to a dozen high end XC bikes with flex seat stays when last I checked. Scott, Kona, Cannondale, Orbea, Specialized, etc. At some point adding weight for a linkage that isn't much of, if any improvement, seems like a solution in need of a problem.

I agree with you on one side, since clearly the system works for the intended application (I have a Kona Hei Hei for reference and its a great bike). If it aint broke, there better be a really good reason for fixing it.

On the other hand, the fact that there are so many flex stay bikes is a great argument for why having a SB branded linkage in their whole line up makes a lot of sense from a market/brand positioning perspective. I'm sure that Pivot or Santa Cruz could have put flex stays in their Mach 429SL or Tallboy and they probably would have great performance, but those linkages are clearly core to the brand identity and people have strong opinions and affinity for the way those bikes ride. I could see Yeti going either way.

Formerly of Kent
    I agree with you on one side, since clearly the system works for the intended application (I have a Kona Hei Hei for reference and its a great bike). If it aint broke, there better be a really good reason for fixing it.

On the other hand, the fact that there are so many flex stay bikes is a great argument for why having a SB branded linkage in their whole line up makes a lot of sense from a market/brand positioning perspective. I'm sure that Pivot or Santa Cruz could have put flex stays in their Mach 429SL or Tallboy and they probably would have great performance, but those linkages are clearly core to the brand identity and people have strong opinions and affinity for the way those bikes ride. I could see Yeti going either way.
    I just don't see how they are going to make an SI frame that's competitive in the weight category while maintaining enough resilience to be cost effective for them from a warranty replacement perspective.

I realize that weight isn't everything, of course. But, the ASRc was/is middle of the road at best when it comes to weight, compared to the competition, and unless they've come up with a new material or process for making a new 100mm bike, adding an SI unit and linkage is going to add a good bit of weight. I have a hard time imagining that frame being within a pound of a Spark RC or Epic.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a hard time imagining that frame being within a pound of a Spark RC or Epic.
    18' Epic Sworks is 4.18lbs, Spark RC is 3.9lbs. SB4.5 Turq is 5.28lbs. It's already pretty close.

The durability though is the strongest argument against the SB design in an ASR type bike. While most of my friends have been lucky, Yeti doesn't have the best track record for crack resistance.
    Last edited by Udyr; 02-20-2018 at 11:18 AM.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I only just noticed the Kabush news (The Dirt: Kabush to ride Yeti; more gravel and MTB news | VeloNews.com) and came looking to see any info about it.

I also doubt SI. Not because it isn't great, but you just don't gain that much benefit from it at 100mm. Especially on a bike that may be set up a little firmer to begin with. I think single rings allow them to dial in the pivot point with less compromise so it's not really needed in this application.

My prediction? Boost, of course (though I'd prefer non-boost since I have a sweet pair of Nox Skyline/240s on my ARC that I'd love to be able to swap back and forth), 1x only would let them drop a few grams, little slacker, maybe a little longer, but nothing too extreme, obviously water bottle from the pic... Actually I don't see anything more than an incremental improvement from the last ASR-C. I wish I could still find one of those in a large.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Formerly of Kent
    FWIW, you can now convert any non-Boost 240 to Boost spacing. Both IS and CL.

Death from Below.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    FWIW, you can now convert any non-Boost 240 to Boost spacing. Both IS and CL.

Yeah, but then I'd have to get a new boost hardtail as well. Requires a re-dish, right? I wouldn't want to have to do that every time I swap wheels. If I did replace both, then I guess that would be an option. Not my desired option though
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi guys,
    I've been told by an EU distributor that the "new" ASRc will be a "new" SB4 (or 100 in EU). The frame is exactly as the 4.5, with the IS system but they have managed to do it a little lighter; the frame comes with a continuous internal cable route (as the 5 has), a few less grams on the Turq series, and all the kits come with 34 (120) forks. No news about bottle capacity.
    Let's see if it's true!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I would imagine the frame geometry would need to be tweeked for 120 Fork and more XC geometry than the 4.5.

Do they really call it by metric names in Europe?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I would imagine the frame geometry would need to be tweeked for 120 Fork and more XC geometry than the 4.5.

Do they really call it by metric names in Europe?

If they just drop the fork to 120 it will steepen it up, but if that's the only change the BB will be pretty darn low. So it must be more than that. The gram pic had a bottle.

I just hope they release it quickly. My season starts soon. The Whiskey Off Road is April 28th.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    If they just drop the fork to 120 it will steepen it up, but if that's the only change the BB will be pretty darn low. So it must be more than that. The gram pic had a bottle.

I just hope they release it quickly. My season starts soon. The Whiskey Off Road is April 28th.
    Immediately went to sb4.5 geometry and plugged in 120 fork. Yep, insanely low bb. A bottle in mainframe could sway me to pay $$$$ for a SI xc frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Immediately went to sb4.5 geometry and plugged in 120 fork. Yep, insanely low bb. A bottle in mainframe could sway me to pay $$$$ for a SI xc frame.
    Do you know what the BB height is by chance? Interesting setup.
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Do you know what the BB height is by chance? Interesting setup.
    140mm fork has bb estimated height of 13.1/334
    Yeti Cycles - SB4.5

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Assuming the primary builds on this will be Eagle, I sure hope it can take a 38T front ring. It would be sort of ridiculous if it was limited to a 32 or 34T. I'm sure Kabush has expressed a desire for a decent sized front ring since he targets the Epic Rides series, and the Whiskey has a long road descent at the finish. I was spun out on my Ripley with a 10-42 that's limited to a 34T front. I certainly wouldn't need the extra climbing gears of Eagle if I only had a 34T front. I had talked to Todd Wells at the start line a few years ago when XX1 came out, and he was running a 38T with the 10-42 so he wouldn't be spun out for the finish. I wonder what size chainring the pivot point will be optimized for? Hopefully at least a 34 or 36 since this bike is aimed at racers. If it had Eagle, I would expect to be running a 36T oval myself, so would need clearance for a 38.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Formerly of Kent
    Assuming the primary builds on this will be Eagle, I sure hope it can take a 38T front ring. It would be sort of ridiculous if it was limited to a 32 or 34T. I'm sure Kabush has expressed a desire for a decent sized front ring since he targets the Epic Rides series, and the Whiskey has a long road descent at the finish. I was spun out on my Ripley with a 10-42 that's limited to a 34T front. I certainly wouldn't need the extra climbing gears of Eagle if I only had a 34T front. I had talked to Todd Wells at the start line a few years ago when XX1 came out, and he was running a 38T with the 10-42 so he wouldn't be spun out for the finish. I wonder what size chainring the pivot point will be optimized for? Hopefully at least a 34 or 36 since this bike is aimed at racers. If it had Eagle, I would expect to be running a 36T oval myself, so would need clearance for a 38.
    Good point.

Itís a little weird that the ASRc is ďoptimizedĒ for a 32t, based on the data on http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/?m=1.

Iíd love to run a 36x 10-48 or 10-50 on a new bike.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I'd be shocked if it was optimized for a 36T. Being a Colorado company most non-racers would die with a 36T around here.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Good point.

Itís a little weird that the ASRc is ďoptimizedĒ for a 32t, based on the data on http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/?m=1.

Why is that weird? When this bike was originally released, let alone designed, there was no 12x eagle. Thereís a FD mount, so designed for 2x systems.

Iím guessing most 1x10 systems were running 30-34T front chain rings.

Formerly of Kent

New 2019 Yeti XC

I'd be shocked if it was optimized for a 36T. Being a Colorado company most non-racers would die with a 36T around here.
    They can gear down to whatever gear they need, or get one of Yetiís other bikes. If they donít want/need everything optimized for racing, and donít particularly care about climbing or flat ground speed , seems like a 4.5c or 30/32/34t would have them covered.

Death from Below.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Good point.

Itís a little weird that the ASRc is ďoptimizedĒ for a 32t, based on the data on Linkage Design.

Yeah, I think it's understandable as the 2015 was designed with a 10-42 being the latest, greatest thing. Still a tad low for pro racers, but 32 with 10-42 is probably on the mark for the majority of purchasers. I just hope they didn't overlook the fact that it will now most typically be run with a 10-50 in the rear and adjusted accordingly. I wouldn't want to be carrying around that dinner plate in the back for nothing.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well, it is a race bike, and they even hired a pro racer to promote it this time... Everyone is like XC is dead, but if you look, the fields for XC races are larger than the fields for Enduro, even in CO.

BTW, I'm in Colorado.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Well, it is a race bike, and they even hired a pro racer to promote it this time... Everyone is like XC is dead, but if you look, the fields for XC races are larger than the fields for Enduro, even in CO.

BTW, I'm in Colorado.
    I was only speaking from the perspective of a company trying to sell bikes. Colorado is an extremely XC friendly place (at least the front range). What percentage of people riding Yetis race in any discipline? I bet it's a very small percentage of overall sales. If it is optimized for a larger front ring I doubt it would come stock with it, even with eagle. Plus, isn't the 11 speed 9-46 the latest/greatest now?
    Denver, CO

Formerly of Kent

BTW, I'm in Colorado.
    Same here.

We get 150+ people showing up at New Belgium on a Tuesday night and paying $15 to race for 20-40min. For SHORT TRACK. Plenty of other XC races with great attendance.

Death from Below.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Seems everyone is jumping on the XC bandwagon. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...e-xc-2018.html

Turns out it's not dead, even if Endurbro does make for better magazine cover shots.

I have heard it will be SI by the way. 100mm. ~same HA as ASR
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hope the announce soon, I am getting close to purchasing a Rocky Element, now intrigued by Spider (but not a huge Vpp fan), loved the 4.5 I road, an asr replace might be perfect!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lzpup View Post
    Hope the announce soon, I am getting close to purchasing a Rocky Element, now intrigued by Spider (but not a huge Vpp fan), loved the 4.5 I road, an asr replace might be perfect!
    Sea Otter
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    First sneek peek!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    First sneek peek!!

Send the 1/2 Pic
    No dudes, no temas, no te arrepientas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by emeterio View Post
    Send the 1/2 Pic
    Hereís the other... impossible to discover anything special

mtbr member
    Your LBS is now taking orders!
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Your LBS is now taking orders!
    Where in Virginia and for what?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Where in Virginia and for what?

Yeti shops have received basic info on the bikes that they are prohibited from sharing (my shop stayed tight lipped). Itís enough detail for the shops to place pre-orders with. Details, pictures etc. are not officially released until next month.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeti shops have received basic info on the bikes that they are prohibited from sharing (my shop stayed tight lipped). Itís enough detail for the shops to place pre-orders with. Details, pictures etc. are not officially released until next month.
    I am a bit skeptical they would be able to order without details, but I hope I am wrong.I am in for one if the geometry looks good and the weight is not off the charts, are @epicyz are you going to order one to replace your sworks?

mtbr member
    I am a bit skeptical they would be able to order without details, but I hope I am wrong.I am in for one if the geometry looks good and the weight is not off the charts, are @epicyz are you going to order one to replace your sworks?
    They have details, trust me. They just canít share them.

Iím keeping my Epic and Sb4.5c. If I️ where to just have one bike, Iíd order this new one. I️ am ordering the new one for my wife👍.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    They have details, trust me. They just canít share them.

Iím keeping my Epic and Sb4.5c. If I️ where to just have one bike, Iíd order this new one. I️ am ordering the new one for my wife.
    Wondering if it will be more like what Intense has done with the Sniper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm in the process of putting down a deposit

I'll probably buy a frame, wait for a review, and then decide to either swap out my Hei Hei frame or sell it to someone else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have heard travel will be the same as previous and the 2 colors will be blue or black.

mtbr member
    Not sure but if you look closely at this image you'll notice a orange stripe around the top tube. Also more importantly you can see the rear triangle,and that the seatstay looks like it continues down to the chainstay just like the SB series. This should confirm a Switch Infinity suspension. My guess is they may make the Switch unit a little lighter (smaller?) and attached the shock to the top tube instead of the downtube to make room for a water bottle mount inside the front triangle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2019 Yeti XC-screenshot_20180311-081653.jpg  

Last edited by cannonf600; 03-11-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    16 Yeti SB4.5c
    15 S-Works Epic
    01 Cannondale F600 disc
    96 Diamondback Apex

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonf600 View Post
    Not sure but if you look closely at this image you'll notice a orange stripe around the top tube. Also more importantly you can see the rear triangle,and that the seatstay looks like it continues down to the chainstay just like the SB series. This should confirm a Switch Infinity suspension. My guess is they may made the Switch unit a little lighter (smaller?) and attached the shock to the top tube instead of the downtube to make room for a water bottle mount inside the front triangle.
    That would be so sweet...

What I find really strange is that no clear pic has been released. When all the brands show the new frames with months of anticipation... hope the wait worth it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Can't wait to see new bikes

Enviado desde mi XT1563 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My deposit receipt had some interesting letters on it

mtbr member
    Yep!
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Care to share what letters??

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Probably: Yeti SB4C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikno View Post
    Probably: Yeti SB4C
    Not exactly 😬
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Some Riff On SB and ASR is my guess.

mtbr member
    SB100..

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeti Spark

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is msrp $3500 USD?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is msrp $3500 USD?
    My LBS took a typical size deposit for a high end yeti frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Whatís with all the secrecy. Did you sign a non-disclosure??

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Whatís with all the secrecy. Did you sign a non-disclosure??
    What he said...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Could you share any more info (if you have it)? As we have no other info than suppositions and our wishes
    HTA, chainstays, fits bottle, price, etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Guess 29er wheels, 120 fork build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Asked my shop, they still didn't have any details other than Sea Otter release and they think they will have a frame in store on release date.
    2019 Trance 29
    2018 Epic
    Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My LBS took a typical size deposit for a high end yeti frame
    What kind of improvement or changes would you like to see over your Hei Hei?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What kind of improvement or changes would you like to see over your Hei Hei?
    The Hei Hei is a great technical climber for single track but would be improved with a dual lockout for fireroad climbing (which there is a lot of in my target races). I'll also say that the perceived effort while climbing is higher compared to other bikes, including some larger travel bikes I've owned.

Conversely, I liked the feel of the 4.5 when I rode it and I've always wanted a Yeti. I told myself I'd be first in line once they put a bottle inside the triangle of their SB linkage so hopefully it comes through that way.

If I ride the Yeti and like the Hei Hei better, I can always swap back and I'm sure there will be someone who will be happy to buy a barely used frame off me.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Gahhhhh. Sea Otter doesn't start till April 19th this year. So probably no chance to try it out at Outerbike on April 6-8th. They gotta realize not every race season starts super late. Heck, Arizona XC series, which has been having about 1000 racers (so not small) starts mid-January. Let's try not coming out with XC race bikes half-way through the season. /rant

For some reason I thought Sea Otter was earlier, and checked Outerbike, saw April 6-8th and got my hopes up that I might be able to demo the bike, then went to make sure when Sea Otter was before I requested a vacation day, and was seriously bummed out... Grrrr....
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Gahhhhh. Sea Otter doesn't start till April 19th this year. So probably no chance to try it out at Outerbike on April 6-8th. They gotta realize not every race season starts super late. Heck, Arizona XC series, which has been having about 1000 racers (so not small) starts mid-January. Let's try not coming out with XC race bikes half-way through the season. /rant

For some reason I thought Sea Otter was earlier, and checked Outerbike, saw April 6-8th and got my hopes up that I might be able to demo the bike, then went to make sure when Sea Otter was before I requested a vacation day, and was seriously bummed out... Grrrr....
    Yetis embargo on official info ends on the 19th so nothing before Sea Otter, unless you pre-order 
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

Formerly of Kent
    What a terrible way to run a business.

Sorry, Yetiís reputation alone isnít enough to sell me a bike.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have been discussing "informally" about ordering this new Yeti with my LBS, and have had a few tidbits of information, but given the approximate pricing info I have been given relative to the build kits, it seems like Yeti is going down the road of diminishing relative value for the customer for brand "cache". The retail price in CAD dollars is actually quite disgusting. From what I'm seeing, the Sniper is way better value (a few thousand dollars cheaper!) for the same build kit (and also includes carbon rims). I liked my ASR-C, but I highly doubt it will ride thousands of dollars better.... that's a nice road trip and a new bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    the Sniper is way better value (a few thousand dollars cheaper!) for the same build kit (and also includes carbon rims)
    Wow, that seems shocking since Intense usually has extremely expensive build kits relative to the market average (thinking Santa Cruz as the benchmark here).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Any advantage to preordering before the announcement?
    Thanks,

Tribe Member
    Going with ASRSi for name, shock mounted under top tube like every other XC bike out, 100mm travel, 29Ē wheels, water bottle inside, internal routing for dropper and $2800 for frameset and bike starting at $4000 with GX Eagle. Turquoise and orange, black and yellow and nude carbon for colors, we already have seen the new sliding Yeti decal. Weight should be around 22lbs with high end kit.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Going with ASRSi for name, shock mounted under top tube like every other XC bike out, 100mm travel, 29Ē wheels, water bottle inside, internal routing for dropper and $2800 for frameset and bike starting at $4000 with GX Eagle. Turquoise and orange, black and yellow and nude carbon for colors, we already have seen the new sliding Yeti decal. Weight should be around 22lbs with high end kit.
    shock under top tube? Is it a switch infinity then?

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
    I have been discussing "informally" about ordering this new Yeti with my LBS, and have had a few tidbits of information, but given the approximate pricing info I have been given relative to the build kits, it seems like Yeti is going down the road of diminishing relative value for the customer for brand "cache". The retail price in CAD dollars is actually quite disgusting. From what I'm seeing, the Sniper is way better value (a few thousand dollars cheaper!) for the same build kit (and also includes carbon rims). I liked my ASR-C, but I highly doubt it will ride thousands of dollars better.... that's a nice road trip and a new bike...
    2 thousand dollars cheaper for same specs + carbon wheels? Ya right? someone is smoking some good weed!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

totally agree. Yeti's are great bikes but so are alot of bike brands now. I just bought a canyon and it's quality is as nice as any bike I have had. putting a deposit on a bike that you have never seen makes no sense. its not like there will only be 50 built. once they release it they will be readily available. I am still going to wait for its release before making a decision but if it is over $3000 for the frame I will most likely be replacing the asrc with a sniper or if canyon brings out the new lux sooner then later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    $2800 for a new Yeti frame is almost unbelievable. Seeing as how every other frame is $3400+.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    $2800 for a new Yeti frame is almost unbelievable. Seeing as how every other frame is $3400+.
    Almost unbelievable? LOL.

Totally unbelievable.

mtbr member
    Carbon frameset $2800 Turq frameset $3400. Maybe? Complete carbon GX build $4000?That would be nice.
    16 Yeti SB4.5c
    15 S-Works Epic
    01 Cannondale F600 disc
    96 Diamondback Apex

mtbr member

The funny thing is that everyone making these comments will be very interested for this bike when it lands....and yes reputation alone makes it worth it. If you didn't believe in the Yeti reputation then why the hell would you pay the premium. Lessons learned from past models for Yeti 99% of the time lead to a better evolution in bike design. Regardless of what you say now about the release after XC season has kicked off you'll be back and maybe splash the coin. Theres no way this bike won't be a home run. It follows every rule in the bike design in regards to refining the design to be more spectacular, sure there are plenty of amazing choices that are already available but Yeti being able to size up the competition....Specialized, Cannondale, Pivot, Kona, Scott and so on allows Yeti to make something more special and spectacular with the way the bike feels and rides.

Call me a Fanboy but you'll all be back.

BTW, people complaining about price should just buy something else and go away. Making Intense an example of value is laughable since they were at the absolute top of the non-value chain last year and now they decide to go direct sales and lay off a bunch of staff and employees doesn't make your comparison valid yet until they prove the business model is sound and prove this with great CS and support.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Devinci Spartan
    20' Enduro 29
    20' Epic HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If this bike has switch infinity and 100 rear / 120 front and reasonable geometry, I am in. The sniper is not an option for me, I am not a huge fan of how vpp climbs. Can't wait for the details to come out, I agree that I would not order until I new the specs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If this bike has switch infinity and 100 rear / 120 front and reasonable geometry, I am in. The sniper is not an option for me, I am not a huge fan of how vpp climbs. Can't wait for the details to come out, I agree that I would not order until I new the specs.
    Have you ridden the jst-tuned Intense? Better climber than even the latest gen vpp. Im not a vpp fan, but Intense tweaked vpp enough to make it a great climber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Have you ridden the jst-tuned Intense? Better climber than even the latest gen vpp. Im not a vpp fan, but Intense tweaked vpp enough to make it a great climber.
    I have ridden the primer, and I do believe he has improved it dramatically, but still feel that the DW link and switch infinity feel better on the climbs to me. I would certainly pick the intense over another vpp.

chasing simplicity

They're trying the original iPhone strategy: Steve Jobs showed it once in January 2007...then radio silence until on sale in June. Zero demos, reviews, ads, promotion, info, publicity, merchandising, incentives, discounts. None. Not even Walt Mossberg of the WSJ could get his hands on one. They let the user groups and consumers weigh in on boards like this one, blogosphere went crazy guessing what it would and would've have, do etc. By the synchronized onsale date, over 20 million consumers expressed intention to buy one, sight unseen.

But a new Yeti intended to simply catch up to competitors and trends ain't exactly a game-changing innovation on the scale of the iPhone, and their leaders/designers certainly aren't Steve Jobs and Johnny Ives.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Intense really dials up the anti-squat on their newer VPP bikes, which is great for smooth climbing but this has downsides with technical climbing when AS goes into the extreme ends. Not saying it wasn't the right choice, but you have to go into it eyes open.

mtbr member
    They're trying the original iPhone strategy: Steve Jobs showed it once in January 2007...then radio silence until on sale in June. Zero demos, reviews, ads, promotion, info, publicity, merchandising, incentives, discounts. None. Not even Walt Mossberg of the WSJ could get his hands on one. They let the user groups and consumers weigh in on boards like this one, blogosphere went crazy guessing what it would and would've have, do etc. By the synchronized onsale date, over 20 million consumers expressed intention to buy one, sight unseen.

But a new Yeti intended to simply catch up to competitors and trends ain't exactly a game-changing innovation on the scale of the iPhone, and their leaders/designers certainly aren't Steve Jobs and Johnny Ives.
    Nope, it's just having the bike available at the time of launch. It's what most bike companies are doing these days. Instead of showing the bike months ahead of time and chasing demand the bikes are ready to go and follow up shipments are already under way. It's a much better way to do things IMHO. You guys act like Yeti is hyping this thing and the truth is that there has only been a couple of extremely minor teasers by sponsored riders.

chasing simplicity
    You are conflating availability and information. We are talking about the latter.

mtbr member
    Then youíre in.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Then youíre in.
    OMG OMG hahahaha ;D
    No dudes, no temas, no te arrepientas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Mmmmm

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm sure Kabush has been riding his for a while now. He only posts shots of the wheels or stem. No real frame shots.

mtbr member
    I would think it may be the yeti on the right...rs1 and short headtube

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    I would think it may be the yeti on the right...rs1 and short headtube
    That's the Joey Shusler's ARC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCG01 View Post
    That's the Joey Shusler's ARC

Ahh

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    can't wait for another $9,000 XC bike! said no one ever..

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So is there for sure a new XC bike coming soon? Debating to wait or just find a ASR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sammieandkrisbey View Post
    So is there for sure a new XC bike coming soon? Debating to wait or just find a ASR.
    Yes, definitely something coming. Not sure when but probably announced somewhere in the next month. Info and availability unknown.

Several of us have deposits down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was told on this past saturday, April 19 is the date, Switch Infinity rear suspension, 120 mm up front, 100 mm rear, water bottle cage inside the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Gahhhhh. Sea Otter doesn't start till April 19th this year. So probably no chance to try it out at Outerbike on April 6-8th. They gotta realize not every race season starts super late.
    They missed many sales releasing it so late. Sea Otter release? Ha. I bought my 2018 race bike back in January. That's when racers build and dial race bikes typically. $3500 frame/$5000+ for a complete bike is a complete rip off given 2018 pricing and the awesome deals on some really good bikes right now..

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    They missed many sales releasing it so late. Sea Otter release? Ha. I bought my 2018 race bike back in January. That's when racers build and dial race bikes typically. $3500 frame/$5000+ for a complete bike is a complete rip off given 2018 pricing and the awesome deals on some really good bikes right now..
    Santa Cruz just released two XC bikes all over the web today. I wonder if Yeti will Release the new XC Bike a bit sooner.

How big is SC compared to Yeti?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Santa Cruz just released two XC bikes all over the web today. I wonder if Yeti will Release the new XC Bike a bit sooner.

How big is SC compared to Yeti?

Significantly bigger. Just look at the range SC has compared to Yeti. You can't possibly have that many bikes without having the volume to justify the molds. Plus SC does wheels and has house branded components as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I saw the new XC Highball this morning and it looks like I'll be picking one up. My Niner Air 9 literally cracked into two pieces.....TT and DT....the only thing holding the frame together was the film tape and cable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    I was told on this past saturday, April 19 is the date, Switch Infinity rear suspension, 120 mm up front, 100 mm rear, water bottle cage inside the frame.
    msrp?

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    msrp?
    Likely the same as their other bikes. Minor variation of course, but look at the 4.5 and make the build-kit a bit more XC.

Framesets will probably be Turq etc with same or similar prices.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've seen a photo of the new bike. It makes the Sniper and Blur look like garbage.

mtbr member
    Thats always good

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by YacobCzech View Post
    I've seen a photo of the new bike. It makes the Sniper and Blur look like garbage.
    Care to share?

Also: I can do quite a bit with the price difference between the Sniper and the mythical new Yeti.

Thatís a vacation plus a set of wheels for me.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by YacobCzech View Post
    Travel is 100mm or more? I wish they have more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yeah hopefully saving the best for last makes it worth the price premium. i was excited for the santa cruz blur but don't want to buy a new shock on a new bike to lose the lockout. $3400 for the yeti $2999 for the blur or $2000-$2500 for the sniper does make the intense hard to ignore. I still am going to wait to see the yeti before making a decision but as of now I am leaning toward the Intense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    yeah hopefully saving the best for last makes it worth the price premium. i was excited for the santa cruz blur but don't want to buy a new shock on a new bike to lose the lockout. $3400 for the yeti $2999 for the blur or $2000-$2500 for the sniper does make the intense hard to ignore. I still am going to wait to see the yeti before making a decision but as of now I am leaning toward the Intense.
    I haven't heard definite info on rear travel of the Yeti. 120 and I am in. 100 I am out. With the efficiencies of the new suspensions, 110 or 120 should be possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm sure you know this already, but there is a simply DIY to toss the Blur lockout and not have it stay in default locked mode.

chasing simplicity
    yeah hopefully saving the best for last makes it worth the price premium. i was excited for the santa cruz blur but don't want to buy a new shock on a new bike to lose the lockout.
    Hey Tony, I don't want to take this thread in the wrong direction (meaning, toward the SC Blur), but in the comments section of the PinkBike review one guy posts a hack to the shock that lets you toss the lockout and keep the shock open...for what that's worth.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey Tony, I don't want to take this thread in the wrong direction (meaning, toward the SC Blur), but in the comments section of the PinkBike review one guy posts a hack to the shock that lets you toss the lockout and keep the shock open...for what that's worth.
    yeah i still wouldn't buy a $3000 frame and rig up a shock. I would have bought a scott spark last year if it wasn't for the lockout and can't make sense in my mind to buy a new shock on a new bike. All these bikes are similar enough in there execution that they all would be great for the trails I ride so may come down to price or the look. i just upgraded a couple things on my asrc to keep me happy for a few months while the yeti gets released and sniper frames become available. I am sure the yeti is going to look awesome just hope it looks $900 better. I really am hoping that I find the Yeti irresistible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Sniper looks pretty cool (despite the dumb name IMO).

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    The Sniper looks pretty cool (despite the dumb name IMO).
    It does. I might try one out. I think the XC, but with a 120 fork would be the shizznit. I think we might see a fancy new XC racing oriented 120 on the Yeti. That would make me happy.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It does. I might try one out. I think the XC, but with a 120 fork would be the shizznit. I think we might see a fancy new XC racing oriented 120 on the Yeti. That would make me happy.
    Yeti will be 100 rear, 120 front.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeti will be 100 rear, 120 front.

That is correct. Whereas the Sniper XC, and the Blur are 100/100. We got a little off-topic. I hear it will be a new 120 fork on the Yeti though.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    That is correct. Whereas the Sniper XC, and the Blur are 100/100. We got a little off-topic. I hear it will be a new 120 fork on the Yeti though.
    As in new model?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    As in new model?

Yep, my RS-1 or anyoneís existing 120 fork will not be optimal or even recommended on the new Yeti. Completely new geometry and I believe offset from the xc norm. But also sub 24lbs for a L built which is ASRc weight territory yet with fancier suspension

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by some dude View Post
    Yep, my RS-1 or anyoneís existing 120 fork will not be optimal or even recommended on the new Yeti. Completely new geometry and I believe offset from the xc norm. But also sub 24lbs for a L built which is ASRc weight territory yet with fancier suspension
    Potentially more expense. I was hoping to buy a frameset and slide in my existing fork. Another plus for the Sniper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by some dude View Post
    Yep, my RS-1 or anyoneís existing 120 fork will not be optimal or even recommended on the new Yeti.
    Annoying AF if true.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jnr_seahorse View Post
    Potentially more expense. I was hoping to buy a frameset and slide in my existing fork. Another plus for the Sniper.
    I was also planning on parting out my ASRc potentially, however it would appear I may have to do a ground up build,....again. Doh!

If the new setup works the way they are saying, it'll be the best DH bomber XC bike out there and super high pedaling efficiency while 100mm of straight up/down travel for trail compliance an boost to keep it on point. My ASRc does get a little wobbly when heavily loaded in berms or G out rollers along the trail under my clyde ass. So this may be exactly what I'm looking for minus the price tag.
    They don't design these things for clydes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Perhaps Fox Step Cast 120mm?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joeadnan View Post
    Perhaps Fox Step Cast 120mm?

I'm thinking 44mm rake on a 120 since 51mm is norm, and the 44 rake is being spec'd on the likes of Sniper but in a 100mm fork. Does anyone make a 44mm-ish rake in a 120 fork?

chasing simplicity

New 2019 Yeti XC

Sure. Fox for one. You can swap uppers in fact from 51 to 44 and save yourself a bunch of $. Uppers are a couple hundred bucks straight from Fox. I had to do exactly this when I switched to a new frame...old frame was 44mm offset, new frame 51. Did it on a 2017 Fox 32 120 Factory Kashima.

Formerly of Kent
    DT Swiss.

Death from Below.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Fox and DT make a 44 offset (I prefer a 44 too)
    Where is everyone getting the specs for these new bikes and at what underground source can I learn more?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think I'm sold on the Sniper. Cheesy name but fits Intense's naming scheme. GEO looks good. BB height looks rock and root friendly and cost is thousands less than a Sworks Epic and I imagine the mythical new Yeti will be for the same build.

21lbs with a dropper and legit trail tires... Come on.
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I think I'm sold on the Sniper. Cheesy name but fits Intense's naming scheme. GEO looks good. BB height looks rock and root friendly and cost is thousands less than a Sworks Epic and I imagine the mythical new Yeti will be for the same build.

21lbs with a dropper and legit trail tires... Come on.
    I am torn between sniper and the new Yeti. From what I am hearing the yeti will punch way above its class and will be more capable than the current 4.5. that says a lot, however I have no idea how they're going to do this. So I am torn.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am torn between sniper and the new Yeti. From what I am hearing the yeti will punch way above its class and will be more capable than the current 4.5. that says a lot, however I have no idea how they're going to do this. So I am torn.

The only thing I find off putting on the Sniper is the 1 bottle cage. I think that is huge mistake.
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm surprised at the lack of Yeti loyalty here. I'm more of a Trek guy, but have Yeti interest. I've checked out the new Intense, and like what they are doing, but I just can't see myself jumping ship that easily from a brand that I love and trust. Just my .02

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    I'm surprised at the lack of Yeti loyalty here. I'm more of a Trek guy, but have Yeti interest. I've checked out the new Intense, and like what they are doing, but I just can't see myself jumping ship that easily from a brand that I love and trust. Just my .02
    Loyalty goes both ways. Where was the loyalty from Yeti when they discontinued the XC range of bikes with no replacement model. SB4.5 is not an xc bike sorry.

Now that there is no ASR what happens to the current owners of ASR's when there frame fails? I highly doubt they will give what ever new bike is coming as replacement.
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Loyalty goes both ways. Where was the loyalty from Yeti when they discontinued the XC range of bikes with no replacement model. SB4.5 is not an xc bike sorry.

Now that there is no ASR what happens to the current owners of ASR's when there frame fails? I highly doubt they will give what ever new bike is coming as replacement.
    Yeti didnít discontinue thier XC range. Simply a gap between availability of the replacement model. The replacement for the ASR will be a significant improvement based on what I️ know. We should be happy they are advancing thier XC offering. Doesnít make much sense to keep producing an outdated model just to keep warranty replacements available. I️ would bet Yeti replaces any broken ASRs with the new frame as it is a direct replacement.
    2018 Yeti SB4.5 T
    2014 S-Works Epic WC

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

I understand the disappointment with the timing of the release. I'm just surprised at the eagerness to jump at the new Intense. Knowing Yeti, their new xc bike will be more groundbreaking than the Sniper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    I understand the disappointment with the timing of the release. I'm just surprised at the eagerness to jump at the new Intense. Knowing Yeti, their new xc bike will be more groundbreaking than the Sniper.
    Waiting somewhat patiently. Have deposit down on pre order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I really hope to see a size small with 29" wheels in the redesign! I really like my small ASRc with 27.5 wheels, but have been wanting to move to the bigger wheels for XC/endurance racing. I'm just over 5'5", demoed a small SB 4.5, fit me like a glove, so I'm thinking a medium ASRc might feel a little big. Guess I'll just have to see what they come up with!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bnlv View Post
    I really hope to see a size small with 29" wheels in the redesign! I really like my small ASRc with 27.5 wheels, but have been wanting to move to the bigger wheels for XC/endurance racing. I'm just over 5'5", demoed a small SB 4.5, fit me like a glove, so I'm thinking a medium ASRc might feel a little big. Guess I'll just have to see what they come up with!
    Your wish is granted

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Iíd bet whole heartedly they offer the difference in crash replacement cost to the updated frame. They did this after my second ARCc failed, gave me full credit towards ASRc to replace it as it was evident the ARCc wasnít Clyde compliant. ASRc has been flawless since whereís as I would have warranty replaced 2-3 more ARCc in same time frame

mtbr member
    The only thing I find off putting on the Sniper is the 1 bottle cage. I think that is huge mistake.
    You think Yeti will have more than 1? LOL
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast