Nate Hills SB100 blog....with 130 fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nate Hills SB100 blog....with 130 fork

He's Yeti sponsored, but what else ya got to do at work beside read and watch about bikes? Nate running 130 fork.

Nate Hills - Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Super intrigued, now. However, where can I find his bike handling skills? Not seeing it on Yetiís site...

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k/dv View Post
    Super intrigued, now. However, where can I find his bike handling skills? Not seeing it on Yetiís site...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyw...b9GXD0lakYf6WA

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    His blog reply " I chose this bike because the Moab tracks have a bunch of pedaling, so I wanted something snappy. That said, the tracks are also some of the roughest in the states at speed. I wanted to see what the little bike could do. I know it pedals really well and accelerates fast. It's ability to ride through Chunder and square edges really surprised me. The 100 feels very similar to my 45. Slightly snappier and slightly less capable descending, as you would imagine. The long top tube on the 100 feels really good at speed and the new orientation of the switch link makes the rear end really stiff. I was definitely faster on this bike than I would have been on my 5 or 55. I bet the 45 would have yielded a similar result."

mtbr member
    In his last video heís doing some gnarly stuff on it. James bike looks more appropriate for the trail though as the SB100 bottoms out so hard it sounds like itís really over the limit. Nate is also a really smal guy. I think I would break it hitting it that hard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    In his last video heís doing some gnarly stuff on it. James bike looks more appropriate for the trail though as the SB100 bottoms out so hard it sounds like itís really over the limit. Nate is also a really smal guy. I think I would break it hitting it that hard
    definitely a little over the top for that bike... shows it can make it for the right rider, but not what it's designed for! but to me shows it's a very versatile bike that can clearly be built for trail or lighter endurance depending on what you would want!

great option for trail riding when built like one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    James bike looks more appropriate for the trail
    That's a Hightower LT to boot, 150mm. Interested to hear how he has his suspension dialed in

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    One more ride in with the XC 100mm...

Nate Hills - Blog
    Yeti SB100
    Commencal META HT AM

mtbr member
    the video had a couple of pretty harsh bottom out... but the bike is keeping up with the gnarly trails!

mtbr member
    I rode from Yeti HQ last week on the SB100 (size M. Iím 170lbs and 5í9Ē). My advice to anyone wondering what itís all about is to demo one. For reference Iíve demoed both the 4.5. & 5.5 on the same Lunch Ride as the Yeti guys. The 100 climbed better hands down. Suspension set at full open the whole ride. On the downs it was very surprising. Tracked well, never bottomed out, super smooth and playful.
    Nate Hills SB100 blog....with 130 fork-img_3140.jpg
    Nate Hills SB100 blog....with 130 fork-img_3137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 6280 View Post
    I rode from Yeti HQ last week on the SB100 On the downs it was very surprising. Tracked well, never bottomed out, super smooth and playful.
    On the descents, where do you feel the sb100 became overwhelmed? With 30% sag and only 100mm travel, how is the bike not getting beat up on rough fast rocky downhills?
    Some reports say the bike is plush on the small bumps while some have said it's not very plush. Looking at the rear shock tune from Fox it is set up with a high level of compression which lends to it being a great climber. That normally doesn't make a short travel a very good descended.
    Thanks for posting your brief input. Obviously you have a lot of time with the yeti risers and their bikes.

mtbr member
    Thereís a few areas on the descent that the bike could have used some extra rear travel for sure. Most of the drops I hit were to a transition so I never caught air then landed flat. It never felt twitchy or unstable. Youíre exactly right about the travel though. 100mm at 32% doesnít give you a lot of wiggle room on an already short stroke.
    It feels like the suspension is setup for fast riding while descending not smashing if that makes sense. I didnít feel any small rocks or chatter. If you get a chance to ride one Iíd like to hear your thoughts. I think this bike would be awesome in Colorado and definitely capable on most of the trails I ride weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I did a relatively brief demo. I was very impressed. But our local trails are very tame, almost like Bend Oregon. I didn't have a chance to take it on rough fast descents. But it sure sprints and climbs awesomely!

mtbr member
    All of the marketing says itís designed for the BC bike race but I donít think any of us live there...

When the yeti racer raced it at Sea otter he said he wasnít on the right bike

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    I did a relatively brief demo. I was very impressed. But our local trails are very tame, almost like Bend Oregon. I didn't have a chance to take it on rough fast descents. But it sure sprints and climbs awesomely!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeti doesn't have a hardtail anymore. If they did, I'm sure Kabush would have raced it there. Fort Ord is not technical.

Kabush won a multi-day stage race at Moab the week before against the 2x Marathon national champ Payson McElveen who was on a Top Fuel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    All of the marketing says itís designed for the BC bike race but I donít think any of us live there...

You are a troll

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Kabush won a multi-day stage race at Moab the week before against the 2x Marathon national champ Payson McElveen who was on a Top Fuel.
    which is exactly the type of race Yeti designed this bike! so itís performing well on its intended terrain!

Rocks belong
    I wanna see what Nate could do on a slack, steel, AM 29er hardtail. With a big damn fork up front.

Rider + good geo = pretty amazing results
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

Hoping you guys can help me out. I'm wondering why someone would choose the SB100 over the 4.5 if you can get the weight within grams of either bike? I'm in the market for either bike, and most of my riding is XC and trail, but do the occasional descent, and just scratching my head why someone wouldn't go with a 4.5 with more overall travel front and back if you can get the weight the same as the SB100. Is the SB100 that much better of a climber? Just looking for some help on why one over the other.

Yes, I do plan on riding both, but anyone posting will help me understand what I ought to be paying attention to when I demo them.

Chib

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chiburi View Post
    Hey guys,

Hoping you guys can help me out. I'm wondering why someone would choose the SB100 over the 4.5 if you can get the weight within grams of either bike? I'm in the market for either bike, and most of my riding is XC and trail, but do the occasional descent, and just scratching my head why someone wouldn't go with a 4.5 with more overall travel front and back if you can get the weight the same as the SB100. Is the SB100 that much better of a climber? Just looking for some help on why one over the other.

Yes, I do plan on riding both, but anyone posting will help me understand what I ought to be paying attention to when I demo them.

Chib
    I've ridden both (demo'd 4.5, own the SB100). The SB100 has a bottle cage inside the front triangle, is a better climber, and is significantly stiffer.

In a hypothetical world where the 4.5 got updated with all of the above with a minor weight penalty, I would consider switching.

Until then, I really love my SB100.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yet again, Hills secures a podium (3rd) using the SB100 at the Vail GoPro Games Enduro this past weekend.