mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Change my SB6 to a 150?

Hi All,

Iíve owned my SB6 size L for nearly 3 years this coming Spring.

Great bike, nothing wrong with it, never had any real issues. I donít really need to change it if Iím honest.

I am contemplating the new 29Ē 150, and wondered if anyone had done the same, or could offer any feedback?

Iíve not ridden one as yet, so that needs to happen of course, although I donít know when I will be able to do it.

I would be interested to know how it climbs and handles vs the SB6? Itís very steep where I live and was curious if a 29Ē would be a better choice. I am 6.1Ē.

I am starting to ride less aggressively the older I get, although when the mood does take me I would be glad I bought the right bike. Just to edit, when I refer to aggressive, I mean excluding big jumps and drops over 3/4ft. Just being honest.

A lot of my trails are rooty/rocky/steep and technical with some 3ft or so drops and smaller jumps/gaps.

The SB6 does put a smile on my face, will the SB150 be more smiles and better pedalling?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    From the reviews I've read, the SB150 shines when being ridden very aggressively. Buying a bike like the SB150, only to then dial back your riding seems counterproductive. You'd just end up with a bike that becomes boring to you after a little while.

Have you considered the SB130?

If you're looking for an excuse to buy a new bike and are using us here to justify your purchase, just buy the bike.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You raise a valid point, and I have read and listened to those same comments, yet Iíd like to know any feedback vs SB6, which I guess also Ďcomes alive when ridden aggressively!í

I donít think any of us need much persuasion to buy i new bike, do we? 😁

Thanks for reply.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry, yes the 130 is also a consideration, so is a Ripmo.

I was putting the 150 as a more direct comparison to the SB6.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I have owned and loved my coiled sb6c for 3 years. I'm selling the frame for a sb150.
    I would my limited time on the sb150 demo (building mine from frame up) is all the sb6c is in character but does climb better due to STA and 29er wheels.

Another major factor is my 6c is my oldest Yeti and time to rotate stock.

A consideration reading your post would be sb130 with x2 and 150mm fork.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thank you for the feedback, a frame up build was more likely for me so thats is good to hear.

A better climbing bike is essentially what im after, so I will also look into the 130. Had not considered an X2 a possibility on the 130?!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi,

I have a SB6c since Jan 2015 and a SB150 since last November both in Size S (I am 5'7).

My impressions:

- SB150 climbs great thanks to the nicer position/steep SA but it is a much heavier bike (SB6c=13.4kg, SB150=14.3kg) and I can clearly feel it. You obviously benefit as well from the bigger wheels, they rool better but for a short/light 65kg guy like I am, it requires some effort...

- SB150 = this bike it damn fast downhill! I am crunching my PR without much time on the bike and a far from optimal condition but... I do this without being really yet at ease on the bike, that is a strange feeling. My impression every time is "I screwed up this descent", and then I look at numbers and bam!
    In the steep: this bike is a monster! Just as the SB6c but even more.
    The bike remains really agile.

The last couple of rides were nevertheless really better.

I clearly need more time to adapt to this HUGE bike (with a bit too much stack to my liking, I still do not understand how/why someone would need to oversize...). You are positionned differently on the bike ("IN" vs. "ON") and I have somehow a SX bike feeling on it. It does not require you to be subtile to be efficient... is it better/more fun? I do not know, up to you to decide.

I took the SB150 and not the SB130 because I do quite a lot of bike park in the summer. Without this, I think that the SB130 would have been a better choice for everyday riding.

Remark: I am living in France in the Alps, technical, steep, rocky/rooty here ; )

Sorry for mistakes, etc, I wrote this very fast. I would surely have much more to say but not much time...

Cheers,
    M@xime

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi M@xime,

Congrats on your new bike!

This is great information, and is very helpful for me.

I also feel a little more on the bike than Iíd prefer on the SB6, so to hear that is good.

I do occasionally bike park, but tend not to hit the blacks like I used to. When riding with friends it can get a little competitive just for fun, but solo riding I enjoy a more sedate pace and just enjoy the ride and scenery itself. I am looking for that one bike quiver, but being honest Iím less flat out and full on these days as I was 10 years ago!

I am surprised at the greater weight gain on the SB150 though. My SB6 is circa 31lbs plus.

I ideally would like a similar or slightly lighter pedalling bike, so perhaps the 130 should be considered more so on my list.

Either way both models need to be tried, but your real world feedback is just what I am after.

Or I just keep the SB6 and upgrade to an X2 and some lighter carbon wheels.

I just fancy an upgrade or a change from what I have now. I often change something around the 3 year mark.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Time to organise some demos.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Medrep, I'd think based on your statement "I do occasionally bike park, but tend not to hit the blacks like I used to. When riding with friends it can get a little competitive just for fun, but solo riding I enjoy a more sedate pace and just enjoy the ride and scenery itself. I am looking for that one bike quiver, but being honest Iím less flat out and full on these days as I was 10 years ago!" that the 150 is too much bike for you. Unless you are racing enduro, riding bike park (not just blue flow trails), or are a hard charger living somewhere with serious elevation the 130 will be a better pick. The 150 is a bike with a purpose. Yes you can use it for general trail riding but it unless you are smashing it wont be all that engaging to ride. My slash is the same way. Weight wise its fine but if you are not pushing it its not all that fun vs a true trail bike. The 130 is a 1 bike quiver. The 150 would be better with a 100 in the stable too. These big bikes are just too much bike for typical trail riding. You are better off being honest with what you want it for (which you are based on your above statement) and selecting the more rounded bike. Just my opinion. Good luck with whichever you choose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Medrep,

I forgot to mention a few things:
    - I am also getting "older" (damn, I hate saying that), 41y... but still very active.
    - When riding bike park, I do not ride the big jumps, road gaps, etc. But fancy the steep black runs, just avoiding the jumps and favoring the chickens lines.
    - I am taking part to a couple of enduro races each year.
    - Yes, the SB150 is heavy... the SB130 is lighter from what I have read. This is really a problem for a ligth guy like me and the only reason at this point on me not being 100% satisfied (ok, I am at 99%). It is ok for shorter rides. Long rides in the mountain always favor the lighter bikes. Pointed down, a heavy bike is IMHO a plus for light riders.
    - Tech issues: I had the play in the mounting hardware of the shock, got the bushing replaced in a week, no brainer since. NO tire rubbing with 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf mounted on the DT Swiss M1700 30mm internal rims. BTW, I have no issues with those wheels contrary to what I have seen reported by other in the forum but I am a light rider.

Just like you, I like a bit of novelty once in a while that is why I upgraded by SB6c with a Float X2 last spring and rode with this configuration the whole summer: the best updgrade I did on my SB6c! This shock works really great despite the time needed to tune it, once done, perfect => Increased grip, much more control in the rough, when landing and under heavy braking. A slight extra pedal bob in my case due to light HS and LS compression choices, just activate the lever when grinding on fire roads.

Clearly, I NEEDED a 29er for my new bike and the Float X2 was a must for me: the suspension spec on the SB150 (Grip2 and X2) was also part of my decision (plus the bike park riding). I do think now that a SB130 with those upgrades is probably a very very good choice but I never tried.

Cheers,
    M@xime

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi jimarin

Thanks again. I am not an enduro racer, never have been. Iíll hit reds and more easier blacks at some speed nowadays with generous enthusiasm, but no more big stuff. Iím done with all of that.

Iíve been honest intentionally and sought advice here for the best feedback.

I guess these days itís hard to buy a bad bike, but could easily buy the wrong bike for your own needs.

I would like to try the 150, though itís starting to look like the 130 is the right match for me.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi M@xime,

I sound very similar to yourself and how you describe your riding, although I do not race. Even if I did try a race, Iíd still be omitting the big stuff and go around it. I donít bounce like I used to when I crash. I am also 40 soon, hence the desire to NEED something new and shiny 😁

I will give more consideration to the spec you advise and take it from there.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Cheers