Calling all arc owners....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Calling all arc owners....

Hello

....to everybody....After having 3 bikes one alloy ht,one alloy fs and a carbon ht.The legendary arc sneaked into my mind...To all of you that you have ride the arc can you compare it with a carbon competitor...Of course this is very general, but carbon ht have more comfy and better power transfer ride than alloy ht...

Pleeeeease help meee....

mtbr member
    The Arc is, as you say, legendary. No carbon bike is. If you've been riding for 15 or 20 years, you've either lusted after an Arc or owned one.

Better power transfer for a carbon bike... maybe. I probably weigh more than you and my Arc is more than stiff enough, and it's not well established that stiffer = better power transfer in all cases. More comfortable? No, you are completely wrong. Frame material has no bearing whatsoever on comfort.

mtbr member
    I had a FRO that was great, My ARC I just am not comfortable with, maybe a change of style in the couple years has made me want something different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The ARC is a very efficient bike. It is all business when it comes to climbing and fast single track. IMHO it is one of the fastest and best balanced HT race bikes I have ever owned. Trust me when I say that you feel everything and every pedal stroke you do goes where it is suppossed to go. The only HT I have ever owned that was better than the ARC? The ARC Ti. It had the same handling yet the high frequencey trail chatter you feel with the ARC is gone.

I can't compare it to a carbon HT. My only carbon bikes have been FS bikes. All I can say is they rode great but were not right for me.

mtbr member
    I had a Scott Scale 20 2008 that was not as comfy, and not as good a power transfer, and not as sweet a handler as my ARC. I think the scale was harsh because of the fat seatpost, the ARC has been comfy for up to 7 hour races. I used it in East Timor for a 5 day stage race over 480 kms and never felt it was uncomfortable. The Scott felt very harsh.

As above, only bettered by my ARC Ti. I'm 6' and have a large Ti that I ride for long smooth rides, and the med ARC is 1x9 for ripping the tight stuff.

mtbr member
    Love my ARC. Built it up as light (if not lighter) than a lot of carbon hardtails. Rock Shox SID World Cup XX, Sram XX and EDGE/ENVE carbon wheelset with DT Swiss 190 Hubs. It's a rocket ship going uphill, and stiff, stiff, stiff.
    I love it. Passed up going with a new full suspension Yeti race bike this year and stuck with tried and true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For an aluminium HT it is actually quite comfy due to the slim 27.2 seatpost.

The ARC has been proven over the past decade(s).
    As light and tricked out as carbon HTs may be, an ARC is a classy piece and just simply a legendary ride. It is reliable and excellent for race as well as regular day tours.

Members who have read this thread: 0