Big Top Drop outs for 2*10?- Mtbr.com
    Young, Shawn Young

Big Top Drop outs for 2*10?

I always thought that it would be cool to have a bike they dont make anymore but on a ride last week on my Big Top I smashed my rear derailleur and snapped the rear dropout. The bike shop called Yeti and from what they were told they no longer make the rear drop outs for the BT 2*10. Can that be possible? I have this beautiful bike that I cant fix because of the broken Rear drop out??
    Maybe someone out there has some spare parts that I could buy? Any suggestions other than going SS? I have been riding since 98 but a broken bike for me at this stage of my life would be a deal breaker for continuing the sport I love. I have most of finances wrapped up in my family these days. Someone please tell me I can find these parts somewhere!!

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Assuming you broke the derailleur hanger and not the actual dropout (which wouldn't be feasible to fix anyway) it looks like this is what you need: Yeti Cycles

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwa72 View Post
    Assuming you broke the derailleur hanger and not the actual dropout (which wouldn't be feasible to fix anyway) it looks like this is what you need: Yeti Cycles
    It is the rear drop out. Why wouldn't it be feasible? I see the kits I'm just trying to find the right size for the quick release version. The website suggests the kit is for quick release or the through axle but my bike guy says no. I'm confused

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sorry, I misunderstood -- if it's a completely replaceable dropout then it's totally feasible. I was just assuming it was an "old-school" welded dropout but now I know what you mean -- my SC Chameleon has the same thing.

It looks like you'd need this but they appear to be out of stock. Either call Yeti to see what's up or Google the part number and see if you can get them from another supplier.

It's unclear from their description whether you also need a QR chip or if the dropout kit includes everything you need for QR.

FWIW a quick-release rear axle is 10x135, so that's the size you'd need (as opposed to 12x142).

Quite frankly if Yeti EOL'd the dropout kit that's a load of horseshit. What's the point of having replacement dropouts if the parts are unavailable when you need them? I swear -- some of the horror stories I read about Yeti from a customer service perspective sure make me glad I bought SC bikes.

Young, Shawn Young
    Sorry, I misunderstood -- if it's a completely replaceable dropout then it's totally feasible. I was just assuming it was an "old-school" welded dropout but now I know what you mean -- my SC Chameleon has the same thing.

It looks like you'd need this but they appear to be out of stock. Either call Yeti to see what's up or Google the part number and see if you can get them from another supplier.

It's unclear from their description whether you also need a QR chip or if the dropout kit includes everything you need for QR.

FWIW a quick-release rear axle is 10x135, so that's the size you'd need (as opposed to 12x142).

Quite frankly if Yeti EOL'd the dropout kit that's a load of horseshit. What's the point of having replacement dropouts if the parts are unavailable when you need them? I swear -- some of the horror stories I read about Yeti from a customer service perspective sure make me glad I bought SC bikes.
    Thanks for chiming in man. My frustration was starting to get to me. I finally put my bike shop and tech support from yeti together so I could figure out what I needed. He is going to look around HQ and try to find what I need.

Chilling out
    Redmon, dropouts aren't really 2x10 or 1x10 or 3x7 or anything, it just needs the derailleur mount and a compatible axle spec to your hubs (or your hub could maybe converted to work with other spec).

Yeti store online has the QR dropout listed, and not marked as out of stock:

Yeti Cycles

You'll also need the Chip system parts to match your hub, 12x142 or 10x135.

Full Big Top parts page:

Yeti Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Redmon, dropouts aren't really 2x10 or 1x10 or 3x7 or anything, it just needs the derailleur mount and a compatible axle spec to your hubs (or your hub could maybe converted to work with other spec).

Yeti store online has the QR dropout listed, and not marked as out of stock:

Yeti Cycles

You'll also need the Chip system parts to match your hub, 12x142 or 10x135.

Full Big Top parts page:

Yeti Cycles
    That's the same link I provided for the QR dropout kit and you can't add it to your cart. I don't see it on my iPad, but using another browser and/or URL for that part showed it out of stock.

Where's the QR chip kit in the second link you provided? I sure can't find it...that's why I assumed maybe it was part of the QR dropout kit. Again, the kit's description makes this unclear.

Young, Shawn Young
    Well, just to update: Im a bit lazy when it comes to learning things about my bike and what all the numbers mean. Like I told the guy at Yeti, I dont know a lot about bikes but I do love to ride them.
    The piece that I was having trouble finding actually connects the dropout to the derailer if I understand it correctly now. And its my understanding they dont make it anymore.
    Dave from Yeti Tech was very helpful though and found what I needed of an old frame at HQ. Ill be back on my bike soon but I sure hope I dont break that piece again!
    Started me thinking about keeping the big top for the streets and bike paths and getting a current model that is still in production))) The wife will not be pleased!
    Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    How old is your frame? Two years? Three years? And Yeti doesn't make replaceable derailleur hangers for it any more -- ya know -- the part that's actually designed to break? That is fuggin' unbelievable and inexcuseable if you ask me.

To contrast, I was actually able to get a brand-new replaceable hanger from Trek for a 1996 Gary Fisher Joshua about six months ago. Hangers for my 2004 Klein Palomino and 2007 Maverick Durance are readily available. I'm not trying to be a dick -- it just blows my mind that Yeti has EOL'd the parts you need. I'm sure your Yeti frame wasn't cheap!

Well, in the end, I am glad you were able to find the part you needed. Good luck!

Young, Shawn Young
    How old is your frame? Two years? Three years? And Yeti doesn't make replaceable derailleur hangers for it any more -- ya know -- the part that's actually designed to break? That is fuggin' unbelievable and inexcuseable if you ask me.

To contrast, I was actually able to get a brand-new replaceable hanger from Trek for a 1996 Gary Fisher Joshua about six months ago. Hangers for my 2004 Klein Palomino and 2007 Maverick Durance are readily available. I'm not trying to be a dick -- it just blows my mind that Yeti has EOL'd the parts you need. I'm sure your Yeti frame wasn't cheap!

Well, in the end, I am glad you were able to find the part you needed. Good luck!
    I agree, its a little crazy but I wont bash because Yeti really always has come through for me. I feel for the guys that might have it happen to them and they dont have any more parts "laying" around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    Well, just to update: Im a bit lazy when it comes to learning things about my bike and what all the numbers mean. Like I told the guy at Yeti, I dont know a lot about bikes but I do love to ride them.
    The piece that I was having trouble finding actually connects the dropout to the derailer if I understand it correctly now. And its my understanding they dont make it anymore.
    Dave from Yeti Tech was very helpful though and found what I needed of an old frame at HQ. Ill be back on my bike soon but I sure hope I dont break that piece again!
    Started me thinking about keeping the big top for the streets and bike paths and getting a current model that is still in production))) The wife will not be pleased!
    Thanks everyone!
    Hey there: I'm running mine singlespeed, and if I ever swapped back to gears, I actually have the 142 thru axle drops as well. The upshot is that I can't see ever imagine that I'll need the quick release dropouts again (knock wood). Send me a private message and I'll see about dropping them in the mail to you. You can have them for free--just pay it forward.
    Keith in Corvallis