anyone actually compare a sb5.5 to a sb5????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

anyone actually compare a sb5.5 to a sb5????

title say it all.

one review I read said that the 5.5 was designed to be pretty much between a 5 and a 6, but has anyone actually been on a 5.5 to compare?

5.5 looks amazing, but I want to make sure its not "too much" (a 6 would likely be too much for majority of stuff I ride locally) - want to make sure I still keep some fun factor I have with my 5 at times.

thanks!

mtbr member
    I've (only) demo'd the 5, 5.5, and 6. I found the 5.5 to be much closer to the 6 than the 5. The 5 seemed to be significantly quicker on the climbs, whizzed around tight singletrack like a hummingbird, and was good DH until things got chunky. The 5.5 and the 6 were good for trail riding--not quite as quick as the 5--but really separated themselves from the 5 when things get steep and chunky.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    I've (only) demo'd the 5, 5.5, and 6. I found the 5.5 to be much closer to the 6 than the 5. The 5 seemed to be significantly quicker on the climbs, whizzed around tight singletrack like a hummingbird, and was good DH until things got chunky. The 5.5 and the 6 were good for trail riding--not quite as quick as the 5--but really separated themselves from the 5 when things get steep and chunky.
    expatrider nailed it. The 5.5 is great for faster, wide open stuff with big, chunky descents, and in that regard, it's more similar to the 6. In my opinion, the 5 covers a wider spectrum of riding than the 5.5, especially if you have a background in gravity riding/racing.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Expatrider, ya got any time on the latest SC Nomad? If so, can I get your opinion on whether the 5.5 and that bike are more similar than not. I'm hoping the 5.5 is a bit more trail while offering good margin for error with the big hoops and 160mm of travel up front.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Expatrider, ya got any time on the latest SC Nomad? If so, can I get your opinion on whether the 5.5 and that bike are more similar than not. I'm hoping the 5.5 is a bit more trail while offering good margin for error with the big hoops and 160mm of travel up front.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    Yes. I owned a N3 for about 18 months. I'm on a Ripley LS right now. I did a quick review of my demo on the 5.5 in the "5.5 discussion" thread, and said this in comparing to the Ripley LS and the N3:

Comparisons: Ripley LS is a faster climber, probably a better trail bike, a little more nimble, a little more "poppy", just as solid feeling, but not as stable DH, and not a "beast" like the 5.5 which was super confident when things got really steep.

Nomad 3: similar in some ways in that the amount of travel on tap feels similar; and you can get away with a lot of mistakes on both as they are very stable at speed; they both pedal really well for what they are, but you still feel the difference vs their shorter travel brothers; N3 corners better; N3 feels a little lower so CG comes into play here, but also can cause pedal strikes which were not an issue with the 5.5.

So Rondre, to answer your question, I think the 5.5 and the N3 are very comparable. I would say the 5.5 is more in the trail spectrum than the N3, but only marginally more so. I actually thought the N3 pedaled well, and was a reasonably good trail bike, and I had the same impression of the 5.5. I think the 5.5 used its rear travel more effectively than the N3.

But, if you're after a trail bike, then I would look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback, Expatrider! I'm looking at the Ripley LS as well after a quick 2hr demo. Maybe I should be looking at the SB4.5 as a better comparison.

I gotta admit, having 160mm of travel up front is nice though. Where my buddies may have to slow up to pick and choose a smooth line down hill, the Nomad just says "Lines? What lines?".

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk