Any issues with dropper post cable routing on SB95- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Any issues with dropper post cable routing on SB95

Hi folks,

I just picked up an SB95 and I want to put a dropper post on it. I was looking at the reverb at 125mm but I've heard that sometimes there can be issues with the cable contacting the rear tire when the post is dropped all the way down. I was curious if people out there are running this dropper on their SB95 and whether there are any issues. It's a size L by the way.

Thanks!

Chilling out
    I have a Large SB95a with a Specialized Command Post Blacklite, 125mm dropper. If you're not familiar, the cable mount is on the head.

I have the dropper cable running under the top-tube on the provided guide, but am not using the most rearward guide. I have the cable running up, basically following the bridging frame member from the top to the seat tube.

The housing comes nowhere near the rear tire this way.

If you used all three cable guides I'd expect the housing to come closer to the rear tire at full compression but don't know if it would contact.

I put some clear helicopter tape on the frame where the housing follows, to prevent paint rub.

I have also made a housing guide out of zip-ties, attached to the seatpost clamp fixing bolt, to prevent too much waggle on the housing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I have a Large SB95a with a Specialized Command Post Blacklite, 125mm dropper. If you're not familiar, the cable mount is on the head.

I have the dropper cable running under the top-tube on the provided guide, but am not using the most rearward guide. I have the cable running up, basically following the bridging frame member from the top to the seat tube.

If you used all three cable guides I'd expect the housing to come closer to the rear tire at full compression but don't know if it would contact.

I put some clear helicopter tape on the frame where the housing follows, to prevent paint rub.

I have also made a housing guide out of zip-ties, attached to the seatpost clamp fixing bolt, to prevent too much waggle on the housing.
    Good to know, I may look into the helicopter tape and some zip ties to make sure everything plays nice together. I know the reverb has the cable attaching on the backside but it seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference in how the cable sits when the post is dropped.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Skedasticity View Post
    I know the reverb has the cable attaching on the backside but it seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference in how the cable sits when the post is dropped.
    Has more to do with where you run it up from the frame. That front-side arc support member was just too attractive for me to pass up. My post has the cable mount on the front, but I have run the post reversed with the mount on the back and it was fine, I'm sure the reverb hose would be fine too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Same bike, different dropper. But, did the same thing as above.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

If you use all three guides the cable does bend backwards and strikes the tire.

I was able to buy the Specialized seat post clamp that has a cable guide built in it. Turned the clamp so that the guide routed the cable in front of seat stay instead of on the side and my problems went away. Now, when the cable flexes, it loops downwards and out of the path of the rear tire.