575's TALAS swapped to an All Mt SL- Mtbr.com
    Ride lots...

575's TALAS swapped to an All Mt SL

I swapped the TALAS I originally had on my 575 to a Marz All Mountain SL I had laying around. The travel is the same at 130mm, but the AM SL has a taller axle to crown length, so it slackened the HA a bit more. I was worried I wouldn't like it, since the bike was awesome with the TALAS, but I had the SL laying around so I had to try it out.

After some saddle time with it, I don't think I'll be going back to the TALAS. It descends even better than before. I didn't really notice any difference climbing--which was the main thing I was worried about. It also weighted down the front end a bit, which for my tastes was a little too light and flighty before.

I was looking through the "Show us your Yeti" thread to see what others were running up front and saw a lot of Fox's. Anyone have a similar experience going to a taller fork?

I'll have to post a pic when I get new batteries for my camera
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    RRB just went from a Revelation to an 07 AM1. It was actually supposed to be just a "test" but now she's not giving it back :-D
    She really likes it on the downhill and the ETA dropped the front end enough for the climbs. She doesn't even touch the TST dial (she leaves it wide open). Not bad for a 5lb, 160mm fork.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    good call, DSDuke.. the 575 really feels nice with a 510mm or more A-C fork , but a travel adjust/ETA can be necessary for steep climbs

mtbr member
    I went from a Float 130 to a talas 140 and i'm really glad I chose the talas for this bike. I'll go as far as saying climbing is easier with the fork at 100mm of travel. The first thing I think of when I see a Marz fork is "heavy". They just look very bulky. That's probably good for someone that rides like they need that type of fork though. I really like the fox forks. I've had manitou and rockshox in the past, and Fox is where it's at for me.

Grim Interdiction
    Jan 2005
    I went from a 130mm TALAS to a 130-150 AM1. I like the feel of the bike with the marzocchi so much better then the Fox. bonus points cuz I don't have to send it in for maint. Will post a new pic soon.

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by battlescars
    I went from a 130mm TALAS to a 130-150 AM1. I like the feel of the bike with the marzocchi so much better then the Fox. bonus points cuz I don't have to send it in for maint. Will post a new pic soon.
    Funny you should mention that. The main reason I finally got around to installing the AM SL was that I had to send my TALAS in to Fox for repairs. There was/is an awful creaking sound coming from the fork--it sounded like I was riding an old wooden rocking chair instead of a bike. Which is confusing, because I had no issues with my '04 TALAS and that had a couple thousand more miles on it than the '06 I just sent in.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Members who have read this thread: 0