Is the 5.5 the Goldilocks steed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Is the 5.5 the Goldilocks steed?

Seems to me that the SB 5.5 might be the Goldilocks bike to benchmark. So interesting to see all the 130 owners wishing for more travel and the 150 owners looking for more playfulness. Updated geometry is killer on the new SBís but it seems like everyone is chasing what the 5.5 provided.....the best all around option from Yeti.

mtbr member
    No thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beater
    ďPlayfulĒ is the last word Iíd think to apply to my 5.5. It doesnít start to feel live until you hit Mach chicken. After 3 years I can say that I like it, but donít love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The 5.5 is the first bike I've had, where all of the new bikes came out and my reaction was "eh". It has plenty of travel, capable GEO, fits me well, lighter than the new bikes and boy can it take a beating. So for me, short answer is yes. 5.5 is the ideal bike.

mtbr member
    One year on my 5.5 now. All around beast.
    It really shines the faster you push/ride it.
    I wonít be getting a longer travel Yeti in the near future but Iíd love to build up an sb100.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The 5.5 is all that and some. I have a few Yeti's and it seems to be my "go to bike". So much fun and super durable. I also have a SB 100 that is an excellent compliment but if the climbing isn't super brutal, I would rather ride the 5.5 for sure!!

Also, it seems to never have a creek or any issues. I have chased creeks and have my switch infinity replaced on the SB 100 to the new model. It seems like it needs more love and care. The 5.5 is always ready to go.

They make wonderful bikes and they all seem to be very vertical. When looking at new bikes and models, I never consider selling the 5.5!! It's amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I have a 5.5 and I love it. But I'm picking up my new 150 today. I guess I'll find out sooner that later if the 5.5 was the perfect yeti for Southern California or the new geo is best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the 5.5 the Goldilocks steed?-image.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Ob917 View Post
    I have a 5.5 and I love it. But I'm picking up my new 150 today. I guess I'll find out sooner that later if the 5.5 was the perfect yeti for Southern California or the new geo is best.
    I love my 150 and i had a 5.5. I also ride in Socal
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

Arrrghhh!!!
    I've been riding my 5.5 most everywhere, from local techy trails to parks. Favorite bike of all time. Climbs well until it gets wicked steep, descends amazing for its travel, and hammers the trails. I'm sure there are better bikes out there, but I don't need to look.
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Now that you can find great deals on 5.5 frames/bikes ... thatís a steal! To be honest I've sold mine to get a 130 but I could have stayed on it for a few more years and be very happy about it. The 130 is a very small improvement, but the price difference makes the 5.5 such a great deal.

Make sure you get an X2 or coil to unlock itís full potential ... this frame rips. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by digev View Post
    Now that you can find great deals on 5.5 frames/bikes ... thatís a steal! To be honest I've sold mine to get a 130 but I could have stayed on it for a few more years and be very happy about it. The 130 is a very small improvement, but the price difference makes the 5.5 such a great deal.

Make sure you get an X2 or coil to unlock itís full potential ... this frame rips. Good luck
    Did just that - Lots of SB5.5's for sale since the new lineup came out. I picked up a fully loaded one at a great price point. Performs as expected both climbing and descending.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Great

Awesomistô
    What are ya'll seeing for 5.5 prices?
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    What are ya'll seeing for 5.5 prices?
    CC has the GX version for for 30% off, the X01 for 35% off and the frame only for 35% off

Dream it, Do it.
    I liked the SB 5.5, but the SB130 definitely climbs better and I didn't notice any loss of descending capability versus the SB 5.5. I would take the SB130 over the SB 5.5.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I liked the SB 5.5, but the SB130 definitely climbs better and I didn't notice any loss of descending capability versus the SB 5.5. I would take the SB130 over the SB 5.5.
    As a previous 5.5 owner I 100% concur. The 130 feels way more alive, the geo is on point for both the ups and the downs, and the bike just overall feels a step ahead of the 5.5. Would note that on my 130 I have not converted either the fork or rear to LR. The 150/130 has been plenty of suspension for Northern California and British Columbia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    After riding my new 150 is have to say it feels very similar to my 5.5. You can definately push the 150 harder and it carries more speed going down. Just feels bigger and faster but not a big change in my opinion. Of course I have it set up a lot like my 5.5. My 5.5 was one degree slacker than stock, that put it as slack as 130. I'm not sold on the 150 climbing better than the 5.5, yes maybe you don't have to scoot up on the saddle but besides that I just don't feel a big improvement going up. Going down yes! and that's more important to me by far.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I demoed and really liked riding the 100/130/150 on the ďLunch RideĒ in Golden. All 3 are amazing and it would be hard to pick just one. But...

Tell me this isnít sex on wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    The most capable and rewarding bike I've ever had! Stick a coil on it and itís ready to fly. I love my sb130, but itís just a variation of this awesome frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    SB5.5 is a great bike especially at the current discounted prices. I had the SB5.5 for just over a year and just recently purchased the SB150. To me, the SB150 fits me better and puts me in a much better attack position or at least it seems more natural on the SB150. The biggest difference for me so far has been that I had to push the 5.5 to the edge of my abilities for the bike to feel really really good/plush. The SB150 feels really good with out having to push it as hard. I also feel that my weight is balanced much better on the 150...I can really corner the bike better without having to concentrate on getting my weight over the front wheel. Definitely more planted.

The 150 is a little harder for me in the flat or climbing and getting up and over those big rock ledges (longer wheel base or I need more time to get used to it) but It seems to pedal just as well if not better than the 5.5. Given the price difference of the discounted 5.5 and 150 makes it a difficult decision. Price aside...to me the SB150 is the better bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    some are comparing the 5,5 to a 150 and some to a 130 . I think it should be more compared to a 130

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Agreed. The 130 replaced the 5.5!