Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

4.5 with a Fox 36 or Pike & ACS3, etc.

i have a 4.5 and I've "outgrown" the Fox 34 Fit4. I ride tech, steep stuff, rocky...not much XC cruising anymore. But I don't shuttle or ride lifts.

I've messed with my 34 to get it to do what i want, which is stiff but small-bump is garbage (I'm running 26mm of sag, which is 18%). 4 volume spacers (max is 5). Running 80 psi.

And yes I know, the 5.5 or the new 130 is probably what I should have, but that money is earmarked for a new motorcycle instead. So I'd like to figure out a way to make my 4.5 perform better because i'm probably keeping it another season.

My thoughts: a Fox 36 Grip2. Then maybe the Push ACS3 conversion.

or a Pike with the ACS3 kit.

And FYI I have a Monarch Plus RC3 in back. Leagues better than the OE unit. But also thinking about the Cane Creek In-line Coil here too.

Who has the 36 on their 4.5? Does it still feel balanced? Just wondering if the 114mm in back can keep up.

Curious to hear who has a similar setup and if its worth it. Just trying to get the best of both worlds, more-so. Small bump, good handling / turning and a fork that won't dive when dropping off big rock ledges slowly on steep descents. And so on....
    Last edited by KGAmoto; 1 Week Ago at 01:49 PM.

mtbr member
    I have a 4.5 that for a month or so I put on a 150 Grip2 36. If you're pushing the capabilities of this bike on steeper, rougher trails, it's a great upgrade. I didn't feel any compromises when climbing due to a slightly slacker HA, ST, etc. On the downs, the bike is much more confident but doesn't feel overwhelmed and still likes to sprint. Most of my experience was a few weeks or riding around Crested Butte on fairly chunky, steep trails. The 36 holds the travel better and doesn't dive like the issues I had with the 34. On the way back up you still have the efficiency of the 4.5. For a period of time this was my only bike after I sold my 5.5 and for most riding, would be sufficient. After getting my 150 though I've gone back to the 34 since the 150 sees most of my riding lately. The 4.5 with a 34 makes a bit more sense now for how it's being ridden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I put a 36 fit 4 on my 5+ niner, unreal difference from the 34 grip both at 150mm

mtbr member
    I run a pike 140mm with luftkappe installed and it's great. I also run a monarch plus shock with vorsprung tractive tuning. It's great also. Being 215lbs no gear I appreciate my set up. I would consider 150mm but have a sb150 coming so like other poster will leave at 140mm.

My buddy mtbsavant on YouTube just posted a video and he went dpx2 and fox 36 on his sb45c.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here is with pike

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Ok thanks - I'll check that out. I have the same shock as you (but stock M/M tune) but that alone was a huge difference in keeping the bike more-calm and predictable in the chop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've been rocking a 2018 Fox Factory DPX2 and 2018 Fox 36 Factory 150mm on my 4.5 for about a year now. It's been fantastic! Perfect for the steep techy NE trails, where pedaling is still a big priority.

I'll be getting the rear shock tuned by Avalanche this winter. And perhaps a coil conversion by Avalanche for the 36.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.5 with a Fox 36 or Pike & ACS3, etc.-img_5328.jpg  

4.5 with a Fox 36 or Pike & ACS3, etc.-dscf8019.jpg  

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Just watched it - he had the exact-same issue I'm having with my 34....it makes a "crack" sound with every sudden hit. But not my reasoning for going up to 36. But he went with the Fit4 damper which seems like it would be too much of a lateral move.

Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    I run a pike 140mm with luftkappe installed and it's great. I also run a monarch plus shock with vorsprung tractive tuning. It's great also. Being 215lbs no gear I appreciate my set up. I would consider 150mm but have a sb150 coming so like other poster will leave at 140mm.

My buddy mtbsavant on YouTube just posted a video and he went dpx2 and fox 36 on his sb45c.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I'm interested in going straight to the coil conversion; I'll do more research but anything "air" always seems to be a compromise.

Is your fork Fit4 or Grip2?

Quote Originally Posted by Willstylez View Post
    I've been rocking a 2018 Fox Factory DPX2 and 2018 Fox 36 Factory 150mm on my 4.5 for about a year now. It's been fantastic! Perfect for the steep techy NE trails, where pedaling is still a big priority.

I'll be getting the rear shock tuned by Avalanche this winter. And perhaps a coil conversion by Avalanche for the 36.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mine is the Fit4. I think the Grip2 only comes in 160+ travel.

No complaints with the Fit4 though. Have yet to bottom it out, and seems pretty supple. I'll probably just do the rear shock tuning first, then see how the bike feels, as the coil conversion is a larger cost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Just watched it - he had the exact-same issue I'm having with my 34....it makes a "crack" sound with every sudden hit. But not my reasoning for going up to 36. But he went with the Fit4 damper which seems like it would be too much of a lateral move.
    Vorsprung makes a great tune for FIT4 and add a luftkappe would be golden..imho

mtbr member
    I'm interested in going straight to the coil conversion; I'll do more research but anything "air" always seems to be a compromise.

Is your fork Fit4 or Grip2?
    Vorsprung will be coming out with a coil fork conversion

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    You're right - 150mm is Fit4 only.

Doing more research, I actually think I'll swing for a 150mm Pike, Lyrik or even a Yari and install the ACS3 kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Willstylez View Post
    Mine is the Fit4. I think the Grip2 only comes in 160+ travel.

No complaints with the Fit4 though. Have yet to bottom it out, and seems pretty supple. I'll probably just do the rear shock tuning first, then see how the bike feels, as the coil conversion is a larger cost.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    i have a 4.5 and I've "outgrown" the Fox 34 Fit4. I ride tech, steep stuff, rocky...not much XC cruising anymore. But I don't shuttle or ride lifts.

I've messed with my 34 to get it to do what i want, which is stiff but small-bump is garbage (I'm running 26mm of sag, which is 18%). 4 volume spacers (max is 5). Running 80 psi.

And yes I know, the 5.5 or the new 130 is probably what I should have, but that money is earmarked for a new motorcycle instead. So I'd like to figure out a way to make my 4.5 perform better because i'm probably keeping it another season.

My thoughts: a Fox 36 Grip2. Then maybe the Push ACS3 conversion.

or a Pike with the ACS3 kit.

And FYI I have a Monarch Plus RC3 in back. Leagues better than the OE unit. But also thinking about the Cane Creek In-line Coil here too.

Who has the 36 on their 4.5? Does it still feel balanced? Just wondering if the 114mm in back can keep up.

Curious to hear who has a similar setup and if its worth it. Just trying to get the best of both worlds, more-so. Small bump, good handling / turning and a fork that won't dive when dropping off big rock ledges slowly on steep descents. And so on....
    I am parting out a L Yeti 5.5 and it has a Fox 36 Kashima with Avy cartridge. Great condition but due to changing offsets I could not utilize it on the new bike.
    If you want to make a deal, let's talk.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Suns_PSD; 1 Week Ago at 04:55 PM.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Thanks - right now I am leaning toward a Pike or Lyrik with the Push ACS. For some reason I really want to try coil in front. If I recall...I think you ride moto too....MTB suspension always feels like garbage to me - I want more "feel" and less compromise. Trying to find the equivalent to KYB SSS (fat chance...but I feel like the ACS might be what I'm looking for).

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I am parting out a L Yeti 5.5 and it has a Fox 36 Kashima with Avy cartridge. Great condition but due to changing offsets I could not utilize it on the new bike.
    If you want to make a deal, let's talk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mtb suspension does indeed feel like garbage to me as well. Like cheap undamped pogo sticks. I have full Ohlins on my KTM so I might be a bit spoiled.

I'll tell you that Avy makes the forks feel moto on air (although they have a Fox coil conversion as well). The air shock gets there if you add the RWC bearing kit. But i'm still torn on if you actually want that in the rear.

The reality is that we have to pedal these bikes so I try to manage that vs. absolute plush performance. Due to that, I won't run a coil front or rear but would on a park bike.

Good luck.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Mtb suspension does indeed feel like garbage to me as well. Like cheap undamped pogo sticks. I have full Ohlins on my KTM so I might be a bit spoiled.

I'll tell you that Avy makes the forks feel moto on air (although they have a Fox coil conversion as well). The air shock gets there if you add the RWC bearing kit. But i'm still torn on if you actually want that in the rear.

The reality is that we have to pedal these bikes so I try to manage that vs. absolute plush performance. Due to that, I won't run a coil front or rear but would on a park bike.

Good luck.

So you think a coil fork has too much movement for pedaling / climbing? I wouldn’t know - I’ve never ridden one. But I would assume with a Fit4 damper you could grab a click or two and firm up the mush in the front end. I need to look into this more - and even worse I like to stand periodically when climbing to keep the legs loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Rokworth.com
    MTB Reviews & Tests - for the love of writing and riding

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So you think a coil fork has too much movement for pedaling / climbing? I wouldn’t know - I’ve never ridden one. But I would assume with a Fit4 damper you could grab a click or two and firm up the mush in the front end. I need to look into this more - and even worse I like to stand periodically when climbing to keep the legs loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Confession, I've never ridden a coil fork on a MTB.

However, I did realize that when I got my 5.5 really plush it felt less efficient. Didn't really notice till I rode a friend's new bike.

When the forks are super plush, it transfers a lot of weight back when you pedal.

As far as the shock, coil suspension tuners build a platform in to the valving, and obviously your bike's suspension design incorporates that as well. But coils are known for that lack of breakaway pressure providing that fantastic ground hugging feel. Many say it feels like a flat tire. But my concern is that the bike isn't going to feel spritely with that coil shock, and is going to react to all inputs, including pedaling, easier, resulting in a lower ride height while pedaling overall.

And lastly there is weight, that stuff is real and 3# for front and rear suspension is a big deal in how the bike feels when climbing. So if air stuff can be made to be 95% as good in performance, why would you suffer the weight penalty of coil. You know how suspension performance is less critical than the motor on a small bore dirt bike, well that applies here. Making the motor be it's best is where most of your gains are going to come from.

Also, if a progressive ratio is a requirement of properly functioning rear suspension, why don't we want progressive in the front (which a coil does not effectively provide) as well?

If I had a progressive LR park bike, I'd buy a coil shock. But otherwise, like in the case of the Mondraker Foxy 29 I just purchased that came with a coil, well I removed the coil still new and installed an air shock.

~ take care

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Installed ACS3 on my 2018 Pike and it was a VAST improvement. Granted, I probably messed up the settings on the air spring, but it felt way harsh on repeated hits. ACS3 lets you just charge at everything and small bump is incredible.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Good info - thanks. The Pike is on top of my list too - clean / used they are pretty cheap and I liked the last one I had. And of course the ACS availability.

Quote Originally Posted by lagerboy View Post
    Installed ACS3 on my 2018 Pike and it was a VAST improvement. Granted, I probably messed up the settings on the air spring, but it felt way harsh on repeated hits. ACS3 lets you just charge at everything and small bump is incredible.