2011 575 rear suspension upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2011 575 rear suspension upgrade

Hi,

Running the factory spec'd RP23 on my 2011 575 but looking for improved damping and LSC that actually works, unlike the propedal.

I'm a big guy, 260lb, and ride heavy XC/mild AM style trails. Not doing more than 2' drops or big jumps.

I'm interested in what Avalanche could do to my RP23, or alternatively, invest in something like a CCDBA/CCDBI or Monarch/Monarch+. Currently running X-Fusion Slant forks if this makes a difference.

If anyone out there running a 575 with 26" wheels that has a modified or different shock to an RP23 could chime in and give me some input, it would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    2011 575 and replaced my RP23 with a 2013 Fox Float CTD from Push. The RP23 was fine for me for climbing and descending, but the Trail setting on the CTD makes all the difference everywhere else and whenever you need to hammer. Push may be able to do something for you with that RP23 without upgrading to the newer CTD - I would ask them - but yes doing something to that stock shock will be noticeable on the 2011 575.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The problem with the RP23 is that you can't tune the propedal separately from the dampening circuits when it's wide open. So, if you want a firm propedal, you'll firm up the whole shock. Push can't get around this either.

I'd put a Push'd RP23 above a factory CTD in regards to performance, but it's tough to get a really good tune out of it if you're a really aggressive AM rider, or you weight a lot.

If you're doing mild AM stuff, and most of your rides are XC where you're not climbing thousands of feet to get to your DH stuff, I'd go with the DBinline. The great thing about that shock aside from the fact that it's completely tunable, is that the climb switch is infinite. Want 50% climb - move the lever half way. Just a little climb - move it a quarter. I think the DB shocks are amazing on single pivot bikes. Plus, they're really durable, have more fluid than a CTD or RP23, and have great resale. Since you're not doing long descents, there isn't a need for a reservoir.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Overnight I emailed Avalanche and they say they can mod my RP23 but due to my Clyde weight, the RP23 will still have an issue with high pressure air contaminating the damping oil which means a 50hour service life. I'm not a millionaire so this seems rather expensive in the long run. Also, not sure whether it would require Avy to rebuild it every 50 hours, but if they do, it means I'll be off the bike for a month at a time as I live in Australia.

I love the idea of a CCDBI but they are $550 over here. If it is the best option and is guaranteed to work with my weight, then I'll start saving.

Is anyone running a CCDB of any kind on a 575 here?
    How does it go with the 575 leverage curve?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Float X on mine... had to slightly modify the shock attachment on the frame... but well worth it. Blows away both the RP23 and CTD that I previously had.

Santa Cruz Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorry for the grave dig but I have found that Cane Creek shocks do not fit on a 575 due to the dogbone pivot point being too narrow.

I have been looking at a Rockshox Monarch+ RC3 debonair. Anyone run or know of someone who has run a Monarch or Monarch+ on a 575? I would be interested to know what tune was used as aftermarket shocks come in MM tune.