mtbr member

Zwift hardware options for flat screen tv

Ordered a smart trainer. Wanting to plop it down in front of my flat screen tv in my living room and use it on the big screen. Are there any cheap android tablets or notebooks that can run out to an hdmi cable? I think bluetooth is needed with Zwift as Well? Just don't wanna spend a ton of money on an expensive computer if I don't have to. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hey,

I use Trainerroad, but I used Zwift for a couple of weeks. Basically, I had my 2011 Macbook Pro streaming Zwift over a Chromecast. It wasn't choppy or anything, but probably not true HD. That said, last time I checked, Zwift was only iPad compatible. If you have a somewhat new computer, I seriously doubt you'll need to upgrade it. And IMO, the cheapest and best option would probably be to run a HDMI cable from your computer to the TV and turn on display mirroring.

I switched to Trainerroad bc I preferred watching some TV show or movie over the Zwift interface. If you like the Zwift interface, go for it, but it didn't really keep me all that entertained.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I run a cable through an adapter from my iphone

mtbr member
    For now it is ios or computer only. You will need an ant+ usb and usb extension cable. hdmi cable to hook up tv.

Google "ZWIFT ON A BUDGET: Indoor Cycling Explained" for a pretty good video.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Zwift has an Apple TV app I believe

(edit: it's not out yet, just in Beta)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just put my 15in laptop on a laptop stand right by my bike. Works better than the TV imo.

Rides all the bikes!
    I'm using the original Surface Pro from what, 7 years ago maybe? I set it up in front of the TV and use the TV for TV...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yeh, I've seen set ups using also music note stands fixed horizontally to hold up a laptop... I tried this and don't think I got a great stand, I definitely wouldn't put a laptop on it.

What I used when I use a laptop instead of the TV is a table designed to go over a bed, like in a hospital. It is adjustable in height to 120cm. Also works great as a side table when working on a bike in a stand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I use one of these. It's very solid: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=Y&sku=1063120

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I bought one of these Asus Stick PC's and on the off chance decided to see if it would run Zwift, to my surprise it runs it totally fine on the med graphics setting, it will run on high but the framerate drops a bit. TBH i'm really impressed with it as a fully functioning PC and it plugs straight into the HDMI of a TV.

https://www.ebuyer.com/757293-asus-v...MaAp5UEALw_wcB

If you have a smart trainer you will need ANT+ as the bluetooth wont control the resistance of the trainer. ANT+ dongles can be had pretty cheap off Amazon etc..

Those stick PC's are pretty cool regardless.

mtbr member
    So basically a cheap laptop with an HDMI out will work for my flat screen? Seeing some people say I need to have a fancy graphics card to make it run smooth.

Thinking about something like this that would double as my Netflix browswer too. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zwift hardware options for flat screen tv-laptop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    So basically a cheap laptop with an HDMI out will work for my flat screen? Seeing some people say I need to have a fancy graphics card to make it run smooth.

Thinking about something like this that would double as my Netflix browswer too. Thanks!
    I'm running a desktop with integrated graphics and similar spec to that laptop without issue. HDMI to TV and a secondary computer screen. Can run Zwift and Netflix at the same time without issue.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I mean, I imagine if you want crystal clear on a 4k TV, then you need some extra power. But for those of us spending money on bikes, I think you'll be fine. I would definitely run Zwift on my existing computer/tablet before I invested in another thing to do Zwift... I ended up on Trainerroad and with Netflix/HBOGo, which definitely doesn't require anything fancy graphics wise.

I'd also recommend a decent pair of BT in-ear headphones. I got some JBL Reflect Minis BT open-packaged for about $40 a year ago. It's a really nice solution for audio, especially if you live with other people. I used wired headphones with an extension for a while, but it's really nice to not have that wire bouncing around...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kili-Ti View Post
    I bought one of these Asus Stick PC's and on the off chance decided to see if it would run Zwift, to my surprise it runs it totally fine on the med graphics setting, it will run on high but the framerate drops a bit. TBH i'm really impressed with it as a fully functioning PC and it plugs straight into the HDMI of a TV.

https://www.ebuyer.com/757293-asus-v...MaAp5UEALw_wcB

If you have a smart trainer you will need ANT+ as the bluetooth wont control the resistance of the trainer. ANT+ dongles can be had pretty cheap off Amazon etc..

Those stick PC's are pretty cool regardless.
    Btw - I'm controlling both a Tacx Flux and a Tacx Neo over BT with no problem. I had problems in my apt building with ANT+ conflicting with the however many hundred different routers are around.

mtbr member
    I am running a 1080p 54 inch TV nothing fancy. I don't need it run buttery smooth.
    I am looking at this as my NetFlix/Zwift TV laptop.

The website says for minimum requirements I need

"OS: Windows 7 x64 bit, OSX 10.8
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4GB
    Graphics: 1GB dedicated GPU, or embedded Intel HD 4000/AMD R5
    Hard Drive: 4GB of free space"

Does it really have to be an Intel? Wondering if this computer will suffice. I think I prefer Dell since we have them at work.

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zwift hardware options for flat screen tv-laptop__.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by peter85 View Post
    Btw - I'm controlling both a Tacx Flux and a Tacx Neo over BT with no problem. I had problems in my apt building with ANT+ conflicting with the however many hundred different routers are around.
    Presumably not controlling Zwift as i'm sure they don't (didn't?) support control of smart trainer resistance over bluetooth?

I've had no problems using bluetooth to control the Tacx training software but since the OP's qn was regarding Zwift I thought I'd mention it.

mtbr member
    Ended up with a refurbished tower. Should be plenty of spec to handle Zwift and streaming media on my flat screen. Got an Ant+ dongle too. Thanks for the help, everyone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Zwift is in fact a surprisingly graphics intensive game. I had an old PC that couldn't handle it even at the lowest graphics settings but I think the fan was crapped out and the CPU was overheating. I switched to an old Surface Pro going HDMI out to my flat screen and can run it at medium resolution at a barely functional framerate. For training it won't matter unless somehow the better graphics keep you more engaged, but for racing I can see some advantages to having better graphics where you would be able to catch moves that people are making a little faster. Seeing as I have won and lost sprints by less than a wheel I figure it could make a difference.