When is YOUR first race????- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

... and if we just ... When is YOUR first race????

OK, boys and girl (is there only one who posts here?),

When is your first race? When is your first race that you are actually planning on having speed for? What is(are) your most important race(s) this year?

My first is this weekend. TMBRA series opener at Rocky Hill Ranch. Likely to be a mudfest.

First race planning for speed will be the 4th race of the 8 race series, Bar-H. I've designated the last 5 races of the series as "A" races where I want to get good results as opposed to good training effect.

I am also doing a 60 mile race in March called the Ouachita Challenge. I'd like to do well (well, lets say a good result for me!) at this event.

The Riddler

April then June...

I am planning on my first race to be the Fat Tire Classic in CT on April Fourth do gauge early fitness and then the series (EFTA) starts in May. My first peak is for the Mt. Snow National in June and then the Jay Peak 60 and Landmine races in July. I have another peak planned for the VT50. i am planning on doing all the series races hopefully, plus a few others.

Metalheadbikerider

Season approaches....

My first race is April 4th.
    State champs is July 16th, and I also plan to do well at the NORBA Natz in Idaho in July.
    later
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Jan 2004

March 28

Locally it's March 28 and it will still be muddy (missouri). On the western part of the state there are 2 earlier including an AMBC.

XCdude

My first race is one mrach 28, down in ensenada

Quote Originally Posted by Tryin2B

When is your first race? When is your first race that you are actually planning on having speed for? What is(are) your most important race(s) this year?

My first is this weekend. TMBRA series opener at Rocky Hill Ranch. Likely to be a mudfest.

First race planning for speed will be the 4th race of the 8 race series, Bar-H. I've designated the last 5 races of the series as "A" races where I want to get good results as opposed to good training effect.

I am also doing a 60 mile race in March called the Ouachita Challenge. I'd like to do well (well, lets say a good result for me!) at this event.
    mexico, Im going to do the whole 8 race series, also both 12hrs and 24hrs endurance races. I want to win the class champion and get on the box at the 12hr endurance, we did last year but this year we are moving up a class.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic

Trying to find Flow

It looks like I'm doing Vision Quest

It's coming up on March 6. It's really less of a NORBA style race and more of a grueling all-day ride. The pro who won last year said it was harder than the Leadville 100. Don't know the total mileage, but there's over 11,000 ft of climbing and my goal is to do it in under six hours.

I'm looking at it as a training race that will coincide with my endurance phase . I would like to do acceptably well however. The problem is, I'm a little behind on the scheduling. I'm really still in the strength phase of my lifting plan. I'm hoping when I reduce weights during the power phase, I can incorporate some distance on the weekends and fuse and overlap the power phase with endurance. As it stands, I've overdone it with lifting big weights and doing epic rides on the weekend and am off the bike and out of the gym for a while. I'll see how I feel tonight.

I'd like to do the Sea Otter Classic as well in April, and I plan to be in respectable shape, though not peak shape, for that one. I'm not sure how many of the California State series races I want to do. Doing the series is a long grind, and I don't particularly like riding up at Big Bear. I'll probably pick a few interesting races such as the Firestone race in Santa Barbara.

I like Monkeys
    [QUOTE=Tryin2B]OK, boys and girl (is there only one who posts here?),

First Race: Two weeks ago...The local mountaincross series (5 races for 20 bucks) can't beat it! And the series winners prize is great! A patched inner tube.

First Race for Speed: Me..Speed..Ha! My first year in sport after 1 year in beginner, I'm just planning on having a good time and finishing.

Most Important: We have a local racing series (VA Derailler series, yes it's spelled right) it visits our local trail. Got my first and only podium there last year. Just fun to race on your own trails.

Vaughn
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member

This weekend!

Doing Old Pueblo / 24 Hrs. in Tucson, then the Mountain States Cup series that kicks off in April, in Moab..... then on to Angle Fire, NM then the rest of the races appear to be in Colorado from then on....

Of course, as I am helping out with the los Alamos Fat Tire Festival in August, I'll have to race in the showpiece; The Pajarito Punishment. Promising to be a grueling race, longer than last years course. It'l have 6-8 miles of singletrack BEFORE the start from last year. Yow.

Then I was hoping to hit one of the NORBA races, depending on timing/location/fitness....

Sounds busy when I see it like that!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Dec 2003

Does this count?

April 25 doing my first marathon, followed by May 8th, King of the Hill Off-Road Biathlon. All the running I've been doing should help me with that. Just hope I can tune up my biking skills quickly. Really been concentrating heavily on the running.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

March 21st

The NORBA AMBC race on the 21st of March at Greenbriar State Park in Maryland is the first race on my schedule. It won't surprise me if they postpone the event; there could still be snow in the mountains of western Maryland that time of year. After Greenbriar it's a roadtrip to another NORBA AMBC event, the Knobscorcher in North Carolina. The rest of the spring is filled in with local and regional series events. My main focus for the season is the Wilderness 101in July in State College, PA. Just finishing the 101 will be a success story for me. July is my month to peak with the 101 and a couple of prestigious local events as well.

Jan 2004

Moab!!!

When is your first race?
    Tour of Canyonlands, Moab...April 25. The finish is flying down the Amasa Back trail. I'm psyched! Although this is the race where last year I fell off my bike at the finish with both quads cramped like hell. Couldn't move for 5 minutes, the pain was so excruciating. Hopefully won't repeat that performance...

bock

Big ring = No chainsuck
    This will be my first season so I'm not to sure that "fast" or "speed" is the right word.
    My first race is in mid april and the biggest race I plan to do is May 17.
    Anyone know if there even will be a Knobscorcher?

mtbr member
    12 hrs of Razorback in Florida - solo at the end of this month. Then nothing for a couple of months while the snow up here melts. The Razorback event is a little in the middle of nowhere on my calendar (especially being Canadian), but it has been an excellent opportunity to practice and leans various applications of Morris' methodology. It's also been ideal for building a strong base for summer '04 season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nc-rider
    This will be my first season so I'm not to sure that "fast" or "speed" is the right word.

Yes there is a Knobscorcher. April 4th. New promoters and now a singleday event. Check this link and scroll down the page to *Tsali Classic (Knobscorcher)*

http://www.goneriding.com/2004/SERC/2004SERC.htm

MTBR.com Addict

Sea Otter Classic

It's my first race. I'm actually registered for two. The short track (on Friday) and the crosscountry. I'll be racing in men's beginner 30-39 (or what ever is appropriate for my ripe old age of 35)

I believe Sea Otter is April 18th or there abouts.

My only goal is to survive each race.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

Trail rider and racer
    I have actually just completed the biggest race of the year. Its summer here in Australia, and the season is coming to an end but my winter is jam packed with races so I figure I can answer this question.

My training is split into 6 month blocks so that I have two main peaks. Endurance racing is where I am at, so the first 6 months is endurance based, and the second more of the short course stuff, with a few 12/24hrs being thrown in,

FWIW, Winter in Australia is far from Harsh so you can probably understand why I have a jam packed season.

My first race is in march, and that will be a short MTB time trail, my second is in march and is an 8hr race, which I will be only a C Priority. Then each month afterward I will have around 2-3 road races, and 1 endurance MTB race.

My most important races are separated by about half a month and come in September and october. These will be a 12hr and 24hr race, which I will do solo. The 24hr will be most important to me, as it is the Australian 24hr championships.

Straight afterward, my season heats up with plenty of shorter course races, from october till February where I will compete in the Elite mens U23 category at the Australian Nationals.

So for me, plenty of races. I don't know about SPEED per se, but you get the picture.
    Trevor!

Gnar

When is YOUR first race????

My first race is at the end of March. The most important race is in mid April. I am hoping to have speed for it. It is 2nd in a 9-race series and takes place in my hometown so that is why it is important to me

Tribe Member

NORBA national in Waco

Trying to get as much base in while not freezing to death in CO. Looking forward to the marathon race.....60 miles offroad
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

Jan 2004

Waco National...

Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    Trying to get as much base in while not freezing to death in CO. Looking forward to the marathon race.....60 miles offroad
    I'll be "riding" that one as well. Where do you plan on staying? Will you do any of the other events that weekend?

Tryin2B

Jan 2004
    First race in my State's series is May 2nd. Moving up to Sport 40-49 after taking the last 3 yrs off and racing Beginner in 2000. There are a few races in May & June with a month+ off in the summer before the series resumes. I'm not using a structured "2 peaks" training program, so I'm going in just looking to have fun and be competitive. Maybe I'll surprise myself as I did in '00 and do really well.

There are also 2 road TTs that I may try on the 1st two Saturdays in April (one's a definite, one's a maybe).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mine

I have a bunch of road races starting with a TT in mid march. The first mtb race will be late April.
    I'm a bit behind due to a late start and a leg injury that set me back an additional two weeks.

i worship Mr T

knobscorcher: 4/4/04...

Quote Originally Posted by nc-rider
    go to www.goneriding.com

NOC is no longer promoting and Cane Creek is no longer sponsoring the race, but it's scheduled for Apr. 4th.

see you there.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T

the girl checking in...March 28, SERC, Gainsville, FL

there's got to be other girls besides me that post here......anyone? Bueller?

1st race: March 28

peak races: NORBA NCS @ Snowshoe, WVa in June & NORBA Masters Nats in Sept.

i've also got the 50+ mile Off-road Assault on Mt. Mitchell on my schedule in July - planning to beat last year's time by 2 hrs.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bock
    Tour of Canyonlands, Moab...April 25. The finish is flying down the Amasa Back trail. I'm psyched! Although this is the race where last year I fell off my bike at the finish with both quads cramped like hell. Couldn't move for 5 minutes, the pain was so excruciating. Hopefully won't repeat that performance...

bock
    No [email protected]! I assumed we were going to CLIMB amasa back! Can you detail the course for me, so I have an idea of what it'll be like? I can't quite picture how they will string it all together.....
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

TR
    Angry bunny
    First race of the season (and in my life) is as a member of a 6 man team in a 24 hour event in sunny Queensland, Australia in April.
    Hopefully the 38deg C days will be gone by then. It is almost too much effort to get on the trainer inside the house at the moment.

The plan is to ease into the sport and maybe by the end of the year move into a more serious team and perhaps a smaller team of say 4 for a tilt at another 24 hour.
    Also looking at some 4 x 4 events, MTB Orienteering and Rogaining. Have already done one MTBO but had to pull out due to some mechanicals mixed in with some human error (did not read the map properly ).

Trevor! I saw some footage of the Wildside race on SBS. That looks awesome!! A bit too serious for me though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    there's got to be other girls besides me that post here......anyone? Bueller?

1st race: March 28

peak races: NORBA NCS @ Snowshoe, WVa in June & NORBA Masters Nats in Sept.

i've also got the 50+ mile Off-road Assault on Mt. Mitchell on my schedule in July - planning to beat last year's time by 2 hrs.

rt

Nope, I'm not a girl...........*grin* ...........but I am interested in what you might know about the NORBA Masters Nats in Sept?

Thanks,

Andrew

Feb 2004

April, June

My first will be April 25th, "Maria Schmolln", Upper Austria, 2nd race on June 13th, the "Grimming", and my big goal this year: "Kitzalp-bike" in Kitzbuehel, Tyrol!

I will be in the states in May - are there any races near San Francisco May 14-16th??

i worship Mr T

not much, to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD
    Nope, I'm not a girl...........*grin* ...........but I am interested in what you might know about the NORBA Masters Nats in Sept?

Thanks,

Andrew
    i asked about Masters Nats before the board switched over to the new format and i think someone responded that they will be Sept 23-26 in Mammoth. they also recommended periodically checking www.norbanationals.com. another suggestion people had was to skip Nats and do the Worlds (in Bromont) instead.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My first race isn't until.....

late April. A few local road and mountain races in April and May then it's time for a wicked summer of fun and suffering.

1/ Test of Metal, Squamish, BC (June 20)
    2/ Cascade Creampuff 100, Oakridge, Oregon (June 28)
    3/ 24 Hrs, Canmore, Alberta (July 17/18)
    4/ TransRockies Challenge, BC & Alberta (Aug 8-14)
    5/ sister-in-law's wedding, likely in some pub in Britain (Aug 20)
    6/ Bow 80, Kananaskis, Alberta (Sept 8)

I hope the weather gods are former cyclists.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bromont is certainly closer............

i asked about Masters Nats before the board switched over to the new format and i think someone responded that they will be Sept 23-26 in Mammoth. they also recommended periodically checking www.norbanationals.com. another suggestion people had was to skip Nats and do the Worlds (in Bromont) instead.

rt

.............and I might have to take the opportunity for the experience of competing at the international level............ha.........let me rephrase that........participating at the international leve.

i worship Mr T

the other advantage to Bromont...

.............and I might have to take the opportunity for the experience of competing at the international level............ha.........let me rephrase that........participating at the international leve.
    at least for me, coming from nearly sea level, is that i won't have to worry about the added stress of high altitude. it's bad enough that i can barely breathe at 1000', forget getting a decent lungful of O2 at 5000+ ft.

rt - competing at an international level = not coming in last or DNF'ing.

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Jan 2004

Tomorrow - schaboboel classic - KENTUCKY

Feb 21 - be there or be somewhere else.

Jan 2004

Next Weekend

Jan 29- Pro/1/2/3 70mile road race. Ought to be a blast.

After that it's a race (either mnt.or road) 3 weekends a month plus track meets (800m and 1mi) every Saturday.

Once the track season is over in April I'll hit most of the remaining NORBA NCS series and Jr. nats in Park City along with 2-3 24hr mtb races with my team.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    at least for me, coming from nearly sea level, is that i won't have to worry about the added stress of high altitude. it's bad enough that i can barely breathe at 1000', forget getting a decent lungful of O2 at 5000+ ft.

rt - competing at an international level = not coming in last or DNF'ing.

Good point on the altitude issue. I spent a month this winter at 10,000+ feet and had a difficult time with altitude sickness. The doctor on site said it made no difference how fit you are some people simply don't adapt well. Putting Bromont on my calendar, particularly since I think the Masters Worlds moves to a different location next year. I know some people that participated in the Masters Worlds in Bromont two years ago and I recall they said the course is very technical. Plus the race, at least for my age group, is only an hour so it looks like lots of anerobic work this summer.

i worship Mr T

sometimes altitude kills me sometimes it doesn't...

Good point on the altitude issue. I spent a month this winter at 10,000+ feet and had a difficult time with altitude sickness. The doctor on site said it made no difference how fit you are some people simply don't adapt well. Putting Bromont on my calendar, particularly since I think the Masters Worlds moves to a different location next year. I know some people that participated in the Masters Worlds in Bromont two years ago and I recall they said the course is very technical. Plus the race, at least for my age group, is only an hour so it looks like lots of anerobic work this summer.
    i usually ski out west every spring and some years being at 9000'+ kills me and other years it only takes me a day or 2 to adapt. don't know what the deal is with that. when i was living in Breckenridge the doc out there told me that it can take up to 2 years for your body to completely adapt to the altitude. i was there for 6 months and at the end i could still barely run up a flight of stairs without passing out at the top!

Bromont is pretty rocky. i used to do a lot of riding there when i lived in Montreal. It's a great place to ride. if you've done any riding in the northeast it's pretty typical of that. rocks, rocks, and more rocks....and if it's rained recently, lots of mud with your rocks.

have you heard where they will be moving Worlds to? just curious.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

faded memory

i usually ski out west every spring and some years being at 9000'+ kills me and other years it only takes me a day or 2 to adapt. don't know what the deal is with that. when i was living in Breckenridge the doc out there told me that it can take up to 2 years for your body to completely adapt to the altitude. i was there for 6 months and at the end i could still barely run up a flight of stairs without passing out at the top!

Bromont is pretty rocky. i used to do a lot of riding there when i lived in Montreal. It's a great place to ride. if you've done any riding in the northeast it's pretty typical of that. rocks, rocks, and more rocks....and if it's rained recently, lots of mud with your rocks.

have you heard where they will be moving Worlds to? just curious.

rt
    I checked the UCI site but couldn't find any info on where the Masters Worlds will be moving to. I'm working from memory now but I pretty sure that the location rotates and 2004 is the last year at Bromont. I'll keep looking for where I found that info..............I recall a teamate mentioned it to me and I managed to confirm it but sheeesh..........that was a year ago or so...........

XCdude

You guys should think about going down

to Hermosillo, Sonora in Mexico, on march 6, 2004. The second leg of the xc national series will be there, they expect lots of US racers becasue the course will be UCI certified to get points for the world rankings. Im sending my son and wife (I have work) bike related.
    I would love to go.
    http://www.ciclismosonora.com/copa/main.html
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic

formerly Giantxc
    My first race will be 3/21 at Greenbriar State Park in Maryland and there is no way I'll be in shape for it.

Hope to be in good enough shape to beat Drevil at the Cranky Monkey series (VA) and in peak shape for the Wilderness 101 (end of July) and Shenandoah Mountain 100 (labor day weekend).

Jan 2004

Here's the Moab course description...

Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    No [email protected]! I assumed we were going to CLIMB amasa back! Can you detail the course for me, so I have an idea of what it'll be like? I can't quite picture how they will string it all together.....
    The Tour of Canyonlands:
    Start at the main parking area for Amasa Back. Ride up Kane Creek Road all the way up and over Hurrah Pass. Descend to Jackson Hole and continue to Jacob's Ladder. Climb Jacob's Ladder (hike-a-bike) to Amasa Back. Descend Amasa Back to the finish.

Here's a topo map...

And here's an elevation/distance profile. The course is approximately 22 miles with 2200 feet of elevation gain...

bock
    Last edited by bock; 02-24-2004 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added a profile

Fat Boy Deluxe

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    My first race will be 3/21 at Greenbriar State Park in Maryland and there is no way I'll be in shape for it.

Hope to be in good enough shape to beat Drevil at the Cranky Monkey series (VA) and in peak shape for the Wilderness 101 (end of July) and Shenandoah Mountain 100 (labor day weekend).
    I'll be there too! There's gonna be a fun climb in the race to start off the "I'm not in shape" bickering. Check out the altitude map, pretty crazy.

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

it IS a killer climb........

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    I'll be there too! There's gonna be a fun climb in the race to start off the "I'm not in shape" bickering. Check out the altitude map, pretty crazy.

DT
    I've raced at Greenbriar a couple of times and there is one decidedly difficult climb...............A little over 3 weeks, I wonder if the snow will be gone? *grin*
    See y'all there.