• 06-23-2005
    capt pearl
    what's yer fav chain lube?
    I've been using Finish Line Cross Country Wet, but it seems to attract dust like nobody's bizness (duh!). I'm in mixed conditions.

I've tried Tri-Flow and liked it pretty well, but was wondering if it lasts.

Thoughts?

-capt p
  • 06-23-2005
    fran
    Try using the dry conditions oil, from finish line, it`s made with teflon, but for me it lasts just one ride.I`m using Phill Wood tenacius oil, mixed with some WD40 for dry conditions and it works well. I haven`t used try flow.

Hope that helps.
  • 06-23-2005
    JoE CooL
    Boeshield T-9 end of discussion :D
  • 06-23-2005
    COMMITTED
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoE CooL
    Boeshield T-9 end of discussion :D

Pro Gold. Great stuff! :cool:
  • 06-23-2005
    Train Wreck
    White Lightning
  • 06-23-2005
    Motivated
    Tri-Flow
    Tri-Flow is very good. I've tried other (personally think finish line products suck), notably the Rock n Roll Gold ($9/bottle), but came back to Tri-Flow. Tri-flow does tend to dry up towards the end of a 2 hour race and can be totally gone if there are any stream crossings. If I see Boeshield in a store I will try it.

Application is important - start with a clean chain (scrubbed with degreaser - acetone, paint thinner, etc. and rinsed with water), apply lube generously, spin for a few minutes, remove excess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt pearl
    I've been using Finish Line Cross Country Wet, but it seems to attract dust like nobody's bizness (duh!). I'm in mixed conditions.

I've tried Tri-Flow and liked it pretty well, but was wondering if it lasts.

Thoughts?

-capt p

• 06-23-2005
    shabbasuraj
    bacon
  • 06-23-2005
    chase2wheels
    Pedros Ice Wax or White Lightning for the MTB and Rock n Roll Lube on the road.
  • 06-23-2005
    Severum
    Boeshield T-9 here also.
  • 06-23-2005
    FoShizzle
    I have perhaps tried most of them....Boeshield was ok but without a doubt, in my opinion, the winner is Dumonde
  • 06-23-2005
    JoE CooL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Boeshield was ok but without a doubt, in my opinion, the winner is Dumonde

Dumonde "lite" Tech is good stuff however collects dirt easily the same goes for Purple Extreme both totally RoXoR for road bikes but i've found that they are dirt magnets i'll stick to my Boesshield T-9 for off road use.

when i had/owned a SS bike i used to run maxima chain wax it's like the stuff that come on shimano chains when brand new. i won't suggest it for a any other bike use than a track or SS bike tho'
  • 06-23-2005
    FoShizzle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoE CooL
    Dumonde "lite" Tech is good stuff however collects dirt easily the same goes for Purple Extreme both totally RoXoR for road bikes but i've found that they are dirt magnets i'll stick to my Boesshield T-9 for off road use.

when i had/owned a SS bike i used to run maxima chain wax it's like the stuff that come on shimano chains when brand new. i won't suggest it for a any other bike use than a track or SS bike tho'

that is interesting....i always wondered what that stuff was when the chain was new
  • 06-23-2005
    mtnbikerdude87
    White Lightning and I put Race Day on top of it if there will be water crossings. Keeps my chain quiet and doesnt collect a lot of dust.
  • 06-23-2005
    SeanL
    I use Pro Link. It's really great for the sandy conditions here.
  • 06-23-2005
    JoE CooL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    that is interesting....i always wondered what that stuff was when the chain was new

Cosmoline is what the chain is lubricated with when it comes out of the box.
  • 06-23-2005
    Mighty Drop Off
    I use dumonde tech, because that's the only thing I have on hand right now. It does collect dirt, and interestingly enough, I lubed it freshly yesterday only to break the chain one mile into the ride. That left it lying in the dirt, and whoa boy did that sucker pick up some grime with all that fresh dumonde slathered all over it. I'm still cleaning black stuff out of my fingernails.

My gf's around town bike was in serious need of lube a while back, and I just used some light machine oil out of an old trigger spray oil can (think Tin Man from Wizard of Oz) I found in my basement. Haven't touched it in probably two months and it's still whisper quiet, way quieter than my mtb drivetrain is even when freshly cleaned and lubed with fancy mtb stuff. In time I just might try it on my bike and see how it does.
  • 06-24-2005
    SpecialBrew
    this shop near my house sells some stuff that is supposed to be awesome...i'll get back with the name of it. The shop specializes in pro build road bikes and the owner has like 30 years experience building bikes. He swears by this stuff. Supposidly the molecules of the lube are way smaller than the metal molecules in the chain, so this stuff actually works its way into the chain. He says he only lubes his chain every 500 miles. He showed me his bike and said it had been about 100 miles since he used it and it was just butter. ;)
  • 06-24-2005
    capt pearl
    tri-flow regular or dry?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Motivated
    Tri-Flow is very good. I've tried other (personally think finish line products suck), notably the Pro Gold ($9/bottle), but came back to Tri-Flow. Tri-flow does tend to dry up towards the end of a 2 hour race and can be totally gone if there are any stream crossings. If I see Boeshield in a store I will try it.

Application is important - start with a clean chain (scrubbed with degreaser - acetone, paint thinner, etc. and rinsed with water), apply lube generously, spin for a few minutes, remove excess.

You're out West, right? Mostly dry? There are some stream crossings here in mid-TN (depending on trail [duh] and season). Otherwise, I've used tri and liked it. I'm just worried that it'll "wash off" and leave me high and dry.

gratzi,

-capt p
  • 06-24-2005
    Motivated
    I'd say
    Tri-Flow tends to dry up in dusty conditions more so than it gets washed off in stream crossings. However, in San Diego, we have very few stream crossings, so what do I know.

I use the regular Tri-Flow, did not know there was more than one kind.

Sounds like you should get a bottle of Tri-Flow and Boeshield T-9, use both a choose what works best for you. I really think most of the lube at bike shops (i.e. the big name brands like Finish Line, Motorex, etc.) are crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt pearl
    You're out West, right? Mostly dry? There are some stream crossings here in mid-TN (depending on trail [duh] and season). Otherwise, I've used tri and liked it. I'm just worried that it'll "wash off" and leave me high and dry.

gratzi,

-capt p

• 06-24-2005
    Rainman
    Rock & Roll.

Works really well for me. :)

R.