mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Whats more important: power or stamina?

With power you can close a gap, make a gap, power up hill and so on but with stamina you can keep on going for longer at a more constant rate.
    So which (if either) is more important?
    Cheers,
    Nathan.j

XCdude

For racing you need to train both right, for trail riding

Quote Originally Posted by nathan.j
    With power you can close a gap, make a gap, power up hill and so on but with stamina you can keep on going for longer at a more constant rate.
    Cheers,
    Nathan.j
    you can use more endurance(stamina), because you can ride what ever pace you want(in theory). Stamina takes long rides (time) to build up, to build power you need stamina.
    Power puts huge demands on the body, if you lack the stamina you can't build the power or will get injured trying or be super tired.

the good names are taken
    Mar 2004
    You have to look at the event you want to excel in...

I know you want a definitive answer, but really you want to be strong in both.

In theory, if you have low power, but could tool along for hours, you won't have much fun on an all day ride with stronger friends because you'll be all alone, always playing catch-up...

On the flip side, if you don't have that stamina you might be powerful, but you probably won't be going on epic rides with friends...

It's all in what you want to excel in, and what important races are the most important to you. Is that vague enough?

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63
    To build power you need stamina.
    If you lack the stamina you can't build the power or will get injured trying or be super tired.
    m63,

Let's look at an extreme case...track sprinters. They have loads of power but very little stamina. So I don't believe your statement above can be true. Do you have research backing this up?

bock

...master of none
    I guess the real answer is "sustainable power", which really is both (as SpareTireScott and moab63 already mentioned). With sustainable power, you can go for a long time at a fast rate of speed...essential if you want to be a successful racer.

bock

The Riddler

extreme power yes...low stamina probably not...

I don't think its fair to say pro track riders have low stamina. They probably train many, many miles themselves. Are they road racers, no, probably not, but i am sure they could easily ride a century, and probably do at least on a weekly basis.

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    I don't think its fair to say pro track riders have low stamina. They probably train many, many miles themselves. Are they road racers, no, probably not, but i am sure they could easily ride a century, and probably do at least on a weekly basis.
    Kaparzo, note that I said track sprinters, which is where you'll find the athletes with the most cycling-specific power. From Performance Cycling, "[track sprinters] can produce as much as 2,000 watts of power for short periods of time. However, these riders also produce high fatigue indexes, as much as 60 or 70 percent..."

Compared to you or me, these guys may not lack stamina. But when you look at the balance between power and stamina, clearly they have far, far more of the former.

I admit that I have no idea what a pro track sprinter's training schedule would look like, but I would be very surprised if these guys are riding centuries on a weekly basis. The term, "train like you race" comes to mind. Anyone know a pro track sprinter who can set us straight on this?

bock

the good names are taken
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    You might be surprised. It doesn't take too long to bring a massive sprint up if you are genetically gifted in that arena... Power and stamina when talking about track racing are too different things. As a natural sprinter I can still put up a hellacious sprint after an exhausting entire day death march because sprint power is anaerobic power. Sprint power does not necessarily equate to aerobic power without proper training.

Specificity is the key... many long distance "toolers" could probably hang with a pro sprinter on a century.... but then again, I have the theory that anyone could do a century if they ate enough and rested enough...

XCdude

Well the sprinter do have endurance, but only

Quote Originally Posted by bock
    m63,

Let's look at an extreme case...track sprinters. They have loads of power but very little stamina. So I don't believe your statement above can be true. Do you have research backing this up?

bock
    enough for the distance they need to run(which they run at a anerobic state , yes I know they are running on pure muscle). When I ran track, I ran one of the most painful events around which is the 1500 meters, If you dont have the endurance you cant do the power workouts period. We did two days of intervals and 2-3 days of endurance running. Thats why is so hard to find a balance, also it depends on genetics. Many runners have changed their event and excelled. If you are a correctly coached and motivated freak you become Lance.

mtbr member

Power or Stamina??? For What Purpose...

Cheers,
    Nathan.j
    Let's start with what you wish to accomplish. Mountain biking in its very nature requires lots of power... to be fast. Racing requires lots of endurance AT power to be fast. Trail riding, epic riding requires enough endurance to finish the day but maybe not as much power because there is not necessarily the need for pure speed.

For me, I need enough endurance to be able last at power for 2 hours of racing. I need lots of power to be able to go as fast as possible for that same 2 hours. So, what do I train? I train for endurance early in the season. The remainder of the season is mostly spent on building power and extending the amount of time I can maintain that power.

Tryin2B
    Tryin2B