What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 56 of 56
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrEconomics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,616

    What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?

    I'm on Roval Control...when they are not broken.

    Curious to know what others are racing to help me find a replacement.

  2. #2
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,544
    Original Rovals that came on my '18 Epic. WOrk fine, don't know how much they weigh.

    My HT had Valor's, if I go back to racing that bike I'll be on those wheels.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rocketfuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    163
    I've upgraded from Roval Control to Control SL, my Epic became a little more zippy.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chomxxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,624
    Anybody got the DT Swiss 1200 30mm rims? Those have me wanting to sell my Valors and backup wheels...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,328
    have some alloy i9 ultralights that just seem bomber and a new set of Crest cb7's that I swapped to dt350's on the hardtail

  6. #6
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,409
    360g, 25.5/33mm carbon rims, 240s, CX-Rays.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  7. #7
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,735
    I guess I'm the old school guy here on an aluminum Stan's crest. They've been great in the 3 sets that I've had, with different bikes, over the years.

  8. #8
    Armature speller
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    On the geared fully, WTB Frequency Team i25's with DT Swiss double butted spokes and old Hope Pro2 hubs.
    On the rigid single speed, WTB ST i23 front (Novatec hub) and Arch EX rear (Stan's 3.30 SS hub). The front rim will get replaced with an Arch EX when it dies. The ERD is the same which is nice.
    On the gravel bike, WTB Frequency Team i25's (650b) and old A2B XC hubs.

    I much prefer the bead shelf on the WTB's over the Stan's one without a lip.
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 06-07-2019 at 03:42 PM.

  9. #9
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I guess I'm the old school guy here on an aluminum Stan's crest. They've been great in the 3 sets that I've had, with different bikes, over the years.
    I have Crest MK3 on my HT right now for my GF to ride, which is what I raced before the Valor's. I like the Crest's just fine, and put some on my old bike.

  10. #10
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,735
    I have 3 sets. Great wheels. Oldest is 8 years

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,091
    Old Stans ZTRs with XT m765 hubs and dt dbl butted spokes & allow nipples for years now on the HT. After I'd had it a year the rear nips were starting to break, from what looked like over-tensioned spokes, I replaced with all dt alloy (gold, nos from '91) and it's been perfect. Oem WTB XC21s with Sram hubs on the fs bike. Nothing too fancy for me.
    I probably should step up, spend the $$ and get a proper lightweight race wheel for the fs bike, maybe I can beat that one guy that keeps beating me.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    21
    DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon, but it's the 24mm wide rim version. Works great with 2.25 tires though and anything wider feels like an incremental "nice to have."

  13. #13
    ejh
    ejh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    161
    DT Swiss 350 hubs, with 54 tooth ratchet, Santa Cruz reserves, 27mm I.D. front, 25mm I.D. rear
    .

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mnyquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    447
    On my HT and full suspension I am using EIE Carbon asymmetric rims. Pretty narrow by todayís standards (23.5 internal). DT 240 hubs on the HT. I9 on the full suspension. CX Ray spokes on both.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I have Crest MK3 on my HT right now for my GF to ride, which is what I raced before the Valor's. I like the Crest's just fine, and put some on my old bike.
    I have the older version crests on my older trail bike and I don't think they've ever gotten untrue or broke a spoke. The MK3s have been a disaster. I couldn't get them to last a season - always out of true and always breaking spokes. They just went a little too thin with the aluminum I think. Just Riding Along podcast (3 snarky mechanics) had the same exact experience from loving the old ones to hating the new ones. The standard neo hubs have been fine for me. (I weigh 165#, Full suspension)

    I upgraded to the XMC 1200s on DT240s. There was a sweet deal on them on eBay for $1100 all last summer.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    83
    The latest DT Swiss XR1501s Spline One

    Apart from their sorta shit geo for the rear hub (less stiff rear wheel), they are absolutely gorgeous in terms of bearing longevity.

    Only had to true the rear wheel once after 9000km.

    I've done very well in races with these. The front hub is especially awesome because even after muddy and rainy races, whenever I took it apart for servicing the grease I coated on earlier still looks incredibly new and fresh.

  17. #17
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33,265
    290g 28mm and 28 hole carbon rims with 240 front hub and 180 rear hub. Built with sapim lasers. Just raced hard over 50 miles and high speed rough descents, raced them last season too. These seem to do well for XC. I build my own wheelsets.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slider_phil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by us338386 View Post
    I have the older version crests on my older trail bike and I don't think they've ever gotten untrue or broke a spoke. The MK3s have been a disaster. I couldn't get them to last a season - always out of true and always breaking spokes. They just went a little too thin with the aluminum I think. Just Riding Along podcast (3 snarky mechanics) had the same exact experience from loving the old ones to hating the new ones. The standard neo hubs have been fine for me. (I weigh 165#, Full suspension)

    I upgraded to the XMC 1200s on DT240s. There was a sweet deal on them on eBay for $1100 all last summer.
    I can echo your experience with the mk3 Crests. Got some built on Hope Pro 4 hubs and every second ride I was retruing and trying my best to keep them straight. Got 4 months out of them and now they're sitting in the shed doing nothing. Did the same as you, got those DT Swiss XMC wheels on eBay and have been loving them.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    135
    Bike Ahead, 28mm id, DT Swiss 240 hubs. Good wheels.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    625
    3 sets:
    DT Swiss XMC 1200s (the 24mm version), upgraded star ratchet
    2 sets of carbon hookless hoops (https://www.wheelsfar.com/) laced with sapim cx rays, one set w/240s, the other with 180s.

    Love all of them. I'd choose the XMCs again if I didn't want the brain damage of lacing my own wheels. Otherwise the wheelsfar gear is light and durable, and cust service is great. Purchased 4 sets of hoops from them over the past few years and no complaints whatsoever.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,237
    Current Gen Roval Control SL on our main XC bikes.

    HED carbon on our fat bikes.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrEconomics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I have Crest MK3 on my HT right now for my GF to ride, which is what I raced before the Valor's. I like the Crest's just fine, and put some on my old bike.
    I weigh 195 so most of the lightweight Stan's become noodles under my weight. I have to go over 1700 grams to get a wheelset that will hold my weight. 1700 grams in a XC wheelset is a little excessive.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Anybody got the DT Swiss 1200 30mm rims? Those have me wanting to sell my Valors and backup wheels...
    I have the DT Swiss XMC1200 24mm internal wheels. Given that I run 2.35 and 2.2 tires I don't see the need to go wider. I also have a different bike with 35mm internal wheels on 2.6 tires. If I wanted to run 2.6 tires I would NOT use the 24mm wheels. I would run the 30's, but since I don't run those on my XC race bikes I feel 24 is enough. The weight of these is 1495 for the pair.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chomxxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I have the DT Swiss XMC1200 24mm internal wheels. Given that I run 2.35 and 2.2 tires I don't see the need to go wider. I also have a different bike with 35mm internal wheels on 2.6 tires. If I wanted to run 2.6 tires I would NOT use the 24mm wheels. I would run the 30's, but since I don't run those on my XC race bikes I feel 24 is enough. The weight of these is 1495 for the pair.
    That'd be the current wisdom, but the World Champ is running 30s with 2.25s (and foam tire inserts):
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/08/pro...rc-race-bikes/

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,070
    Still on some old Arch EX wheels at 190lbs. I'd like something lighter but I'm not willing to invest in not boost wheels.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    That'd be the current wisdom, but the World Champ is running 30s with 2.25s (and foam tire inserts):
    https://bikerumor.com/2019/02/08/pro...rc-race-bikes/
    Yep,
    Kate's bike was running XMC1200 30 front and rear at the Whiskey this past weekend. Along with Aspen EXO/TR front and rear. Although my picture is not clear enough to read tire size they only offer the Aspen in 2.1 and 2.25 so I guess it would be 2.25 size.

    I will say however that one reason you don't see 24mm XMC1200 on these bikes is DT Swiss does not make the XMC1200 in 24 mm any longer. They make the XRC1200 in 22.5 and 25 mm internal width and the XMC1200 in 30/

    Now why are their XC stars using the XMC "AM/Enduro" wheel at 1557grams vs the XRC "Cross Country" wheel at 1434grams?

    I don't know. I think Nino used the run 24mm XMC1200 for a time, but I am not sure if he went up in rim width last year or not.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chomxxo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,624
    Considering that Nino has gone so far as to race tubulars, it appears that his team understands and values total tire volume, and is economical about budgeting it.

    30s with 2.25s vs 2.35s on 24mm internal rims is a probably zero-sum in the weight and volume departments. Perhaps the weight is less inertial at the rim instead of the tire.

    The handling has got to be pretty solid with 30mm internal width. I'd love to try it.

    Perhaps we're all underestimating rim width as we get out of the roadie-XC bad habits. It wouldn't be the first time.

    That' said, I had no problem with 2.35s on 22mm int. carbon rims. We'll see if people are being precious about internal width or not.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Considering that Nino has gone so far as to race tubulars, it appears that his team understands and values total tire volume, and is economical about budgeting it.

    30s with 2.25s vs 2.35s on 24mm internal rims is a probably zero-sum in the weight and volume departments. Perhaps the weight is less inertial at the rim instead of the tire.

    The handling has got to be pretty solid with 30mm internal width. I'd love to try it.

    Perhaps we're all underestimating rim width as we get out of the roadie-XC bad habits. It wouldn't be the first time.

    That' said, I had no problem with 2.35s on 22mm int. carbon rims. We'll see if people are being precious about internal width or not.
    30 internal is far superior with 2.2-2.3 tires. That will be
    the norm in a few yrs.

  29. #29
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,716
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    30 internal is far superior with 2.2-2.3 tires. That will be
    the norm in a few yrs.
    Crazy talk.

    I like 2.6's and often 2.8's on 30's.

    Granted I think 2.2" tires aren't good for much other than road riding, but still...

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,163
    DT XMC 1200s @ i 24.

    I can't seem to break them. They came stock on a bike at least four years ago. Never a peep from them.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  31. #31
    Always pushing harder!!!
    Reputation: carlostruco's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,104
    Stan's Crest MK3/Sapim CX-Ray/Tune King & Kong 1390g

    Stan's Crest MK3/DT Swiss Competition/DT Swiss Spline One 36T (240's out of a XR 1501)

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    673
    Nextie 32h laced to i9 hydras. under 1400 grams

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,408
    His:
    Older 29 x 25mm ID LightBicycle, DT comps, I9 hubs
    1610 g
    These have been bombproof.

    '17 Kovee Pro 29 22.5mm ID, DT comps I9 hubs.
    Weight is unknown, but heavy. I just removed the TLR strip from the rear and it was 40g for one wheel with its sealant residue!

    These wheels kinda suck, but they will NOT burp. They are heavy. 1 warrantied crack at nipple hole when new. Replacement rim cracks on the bead if you even touch it (i probably have 6 fractures). The factory bontrager hub skipped when brand new and couldnt handle any big watts/high force on climbs so I replaced with i9

    Sometime this year I will Lace some www.dirtcomponents.com rims to the existing i9 hubs for a build around 1450.

    Hers:
    '19 Roval Control SL
    Sub 1400g

    One crack on rim was warrantied immediately. It was raceable and rideable with the odd fracture it had. Its been great ever since.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    70
    Stans Valor Pros.
    Amazing
    1350g front with 2.25 Aspen 160mm Rotor
    1860g Rear with 2.25 Apsen and XX1 Eagle Casette 160mm Rotor
    3210g Total
    The ride quality/feel compared to any other Carbon rim Ive ridden is amazing. It give you the feel you're running your tyres 3psi lower because of how the Riact tech works...
    I havent ridden the Podiums yet, but they will be what I replace the valors with when/if I need to.

  35. #35
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,409
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

    I sold off some excess bike stuff and have a good chunk of change in the bike fund.

    Thinking of building up or buying a new set of wheels. One of the few sets of wheels that universally gets solid reviews is the DT Swiss XMC 1200 Spline 30. Not the lightest, but seem to be bomb proof, and I'm a fan of the 30mm width, at least up front. Mentioned multiple times in this thread in only positive ways.

    Newmen is a company I've been intrigued by for a long time. They make solid, light weight stuff, in a typically German fashion. They recently announced and started producing both 25mm and 30mm wide rims. Sold by typical German shops like R2, etc. Super light, at 335g for a 30mm wide (internal) rim. That's crazy light, really. Built up to a set of 240s I have laying around, they'd build up to 1350g. Almost 200g lighter than the XMCs. $375/rim, lifetime 50% off crash replacement policy for ANY owner.

    While I want a light set of wheels, I also like durability. I'll only build with DT Swiss hubs for that reason: standard, easily found, readily available bearings, incredibly reliable drive mechanism. That said, building up my 240s to 335g 30mm wide rims makes me wince, honestly. I'd like to see what Newmen has come up with, but I also don't want to be the canary in that particular mineshaft. There are literally zero reviews of those rims right now.

    About me: 5'6', 143lbs, enter the odd pro XC race. Live on the Front Range of CO. Lots of rocks, very loose decomposed granite "soil", very few roots, and what rain we get here usually enhances the riding experience, short of a real monsoon.

    This is a list of the various wheels I'm considering at this point.

    XMC 1200 30mm 709/820* (old weights, from 240 version; new 180 version should be 70g+ lighter)
    XRC 1200 30mm 684/796
    XRC 1200 25mm 649/762
    Newmen 30mm w/240s 632/719
    Death from Below.

  36. #36
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,051
    Le Duke take a look at the RaceFace Next SL wheels. I have had a lot of wheels over the years from a lot of different manufactures but they are the nicest wheels I have used. As XC wheels go they are not the lightest wheels, but they are really durable. I have been using them as trail wheels on my Enduro bike and have had to do zero work to them.

    One of my team riders used them all last winter in absolutely hideous conditions, a rider who does not take care of her bike. Every bearing except on her bike needed replacing, except the ones in the wheels which felt like new.

    I was on DT-Swiss wheels for a couple of years and was really disappointed with the quality of the bearings in them. I do not know what was going on but every set I had just ate bearings. I didn't have any wheel failures but the amount of time I spent trying to make the hubs run smoothly was ridiculous.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  37. #37
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Bringing this thread back

    Did you ever experiment with Berd's?

  38. #38
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,409
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Did you ever experiment with Berd's?
    I didnít.

    Iíd love to, but Iím still trying to find the perfect rim before I go full on with Berds.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,163
    I'm 195, and I've had great luck over several years with two sets of XMC 1200s -- but I think you might find them a bit overly stiff and harsh for your weight.

    Never had to touch a bearing, but they do NOT see much or any mud. They've also remained very true. They are a bit narrow by today's standards, which only bugs me when I am looking at them. I don't notice it when actually riding. :-)
    Whining is not a strategy.

  40. #40
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I didnít.

    Iíd love to, but Iím still trying to find the perfect rim before I go full on with Berds.

    I get that.

    But from a certain perspective, Berd's make pretty much any rim 'more perfect'.

  41. #41
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,409
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I get that.

    But from a certain perspective, Berd's make pretty much any rim 'more perfect'.
    I can see that.

    If you were building up a set of wheels to be raced occasionally, but also see Front Range every day use, with a 30mm inner width, what would you build?
    Death from Below.

  42. #42
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I can see that.

    If you were building up a set of wheels to be raced occasionally, but also see Front Range every day use, with a 30mm inner width, what would you build?

    Nox or Derby, light layup.

    But I no longer think in terms of 'how light can I go', these days it's more like 'light enough, but going to last at least 4 or 5 years unless I totally blow a line'. And then it's on me.

  43. #43
    ejh
    ejh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

    I sold off some excess bike stuff and have a good chunk of change in the bike fund.

    Thinking of building up or buying a new set of wheels. One of the few sets of wheels that universally gets solid reviews is the DT Swiss XMC 1200 Spline 30. Not the lightest, but seem to be bomb proof, and I'm a fan of the 30mm width, at least up front. Mentioned multiple times in this thread in only positive ways.

    Newmen is a company I've been intrigued by for a long time. They make solid, light weight stuff, in a typically German fashion. They recently announced and started producing both 25mm and 30mm wide rims. Sold by typical German shops like R2, etc. Super light, at 335g for a 30mm wide (internal) rim. That's crazy light, really. Built up to a set of 240s I have laying around, they'd build up to 1350g. Almost 200g lighter than the XMCs. $375/rim, lifetime 50% off crash replacement policy for ANY owner.

    While I want a light set of wheels, I also like durability. I'll only build with DT Swiss hubs for that reason: standard, easily found, readily available bearings, incredibly reliable drive mechanism. That said, building up my 240s to 335g 30mm wide rims makes me wince, honestly. I'd like to see what Newmen has come up with, but I also don't want to be the canary in that particular mineshaft. There are literally zero reviews of those rims right now.

    About me: 5'6', 143lbs, enter the odd pro XC race. Live on the Front Range of CO. Lots of rocks, very loose decomposed granite "soil", very few roots, and what rain we get here usually enhances the riding experience, short of a real monsoon.

    This is a list of the various wheels I'm considering at this point.

    XMC 1200 30mm 709/820* (old weights, from 240 version; new 180 version should be 70g+ lighter)
    XRC 1200 30mm 684/796
    XRC 1200 25mm 649/762
    Newmen 30mm w/240s 632/719
    I just bought an SB5 LR and it has the DTSwiss XMC1200 30MM with 240 hubs, I have about 200 miles on it and so far I love them. I will be upgrading to the 54 tooth ratchet

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    502
    Have you seen the new Nobl Sine rims? Front and rear specific (360/390g). Worth a look. Also take a look at the WeareOne Composites rims. And of course Nox.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Le Duke take a look at the RaceFace Next SL wheels. I have had a lot of wheels over the years from a lot of different manufactures but they are the nicest wheels I have used. As XC wheels go they are not the lightest wheels, but they are really durable. I have been using them as trail wheels on my Enduro bike and have had to do zero work to them.

    One of my team riders used them all last winter in absolutely hideous conditions, a rider who does not take care of her bike. Every bearing except on her bike needed replacing, except the ones in the wheels which felt like new.

    I was on DT-Swiss wheels for a couple of years and was really disappointed with the quality of the bearings in them. I do not know what was going on but every set I had just ate bearings. I didn't have any wheel failures but the amount of time I spent trying to make the hubs run smoothly was ridiculous.
    This is a joke right? You sure they were DT Swiss 240 hubs? IJK stainless bearings are high end Japanese bearings, and you are the 1st person I have heard make this comment.

  46. #46
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,051
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    This is a joke right? You sure they were DT Swiss 240 hubs? IJK stainless bearings are high end Japanese bearings, and you are the 1st person I have heard make this comment.
    I wish it was. I was super excited to ride DT-Swiss wheels because I had always considered them the gold standard for hubs. But there was constant bearing issues on every single set of MTB wheels, and I had like 10 sets of them. The front wheels were really bad, but even the rear were disappointing.

    The weird thing is it was only 1200s and 1500s that were bad. All of our road and CX wheels were great, like absolutely amazing. And I have a set of 10 year old 240s on my CX bike with at least 100K on them and they like new.

    I suspect that there was a batch of hubs which tolerances were off. I was not the only one to have this issue. I don't if it is an on-going issue or if they have fixed it.

    For those using the 1200s or 1500s how are your bearings holding up?
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Nox or Derby, light layup.

    But I no longer think in terms of 'how light can I go', these days it's more like 'light enough, but going to last at least 4 or 5 years unless I totally blow a line'. And then it's on me.
    Good to know. I am trying to justify the Kovee XXX price. Then piecing a 240 rear hub (and any light front hub) with 30mm ID rim, 6 bolt, to get around 1300 grams. My current set is 1420, and it's just not penciling out (7 year old LB 32H).

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    18
    Does anyone know the weight of the Roval Carbon rim (not SL)? I have the stock set from an Epic Expert and am thinking about having them rebuilt with DT Swiss 240s or 350s and lighter double-butted spokes. Wondering if I can get the weight down to around 1500g.

  49. #49
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraction View Post
    Does anyone know the weight of the Roval Carbon rim (not SL)? I have the stock set from an Epic Expert and am thinking about having them rebuilt with DT Swiss 240s or 350s and lighter double-butted spokes. Wondering if I can get the weight down to around 1500g.
    You can do the math using the DT Swiss Spoke Calculator. Enter a rim weight of your choice, then use the listed specs (hub type, spoke type, number, crosses). Increase or decrease the rim weight until you get it to match the listed weight of the wheels on the Spec website.

    Known variables:

    350 Boost IS hubs front/rear
    Comp Race Spokes
    2x
    Alloy nipples

    I'd assume an ERD of 584 or so. Shouldn't matter too much.
    Death from Below.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MI-XC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    242
    I recently bought Crankbrothers Synthesis XCT 11 Carbon Wheelset (1533g with stems and tape). Coming from Lightbicycle carbon wheelset (1495g with stems and tape). I've only had the Synthesis a few weeks, but there appears to be a handling improvement with this new wheelset. Mostly in cornering, grip and trail chatter. I need to get plenty of more rides in to see if this holds true though. The LB's had 24 id and the Synthesis has 26.5/24.5 id f/r. I'm also coming from DT 240s on the LB wheelset and now i9 Hydra on the Synthesis. I don't notice any difference other than the hub sound.

    I had no complaints with the LB wheelset as they've been bombproof and taken a bunch of abuse. I just got an incredible deal on the Synthesis and wanted high end wheels. Curious if I notice any big difference over time, too bad I won't likely be racing on them this year.
    ďIf youíre not first youíre last"- Ricky Bobby

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    482
    Iíve got 4 rides in so far on a new set of xrc 1200 30ís
    Running 2.4 Maxxis on them and they are faaaaaast
    Iím lightísh @158 and have used them for xc hotlaps as well as a 5k ft 20 miler last week with very long prolonged rocky descents.
    the wheels are stiff AF, like you think and boom it goes. They climb like a dream, with tape but without valve stems they weighed a legit 1498 on my PT scale
    They look fantastic and the 180 hub is a little Swiss jewel
    Iíve got a set of nobl tr36ís on hydras that might be better trail wheels as the xrcís are stiff
    Iím messing with suspension settings and seeing if a psi here or there might make the xrcís friendlier for 4+ hour rides on high speed chunky terrain
    But for anything xc theyíre a no brainer, the ride quality is really really nice....Iím a sucker for DT hubs, so easy to work on and seriously, 1498 for a taped up 30mm wheelset that should be bomber
    Hell yeah switzerland

  52. #52
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,409

    What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?

    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    Iíve got 4 rides in so far on a new set of xrc 1200 30ís
    Running 2.4 Maxxis on them and they are faaaaaast
    Iím lightísh @158 and have used them for xc hotlaps as well as a 5k ft 20 miler last week with very long prolonged rocky descents.
    the wheels are stiff AF, like you think and boom it goes. They climb like a dream, with tape but without valve stems they weighed a legit 1498 on my PT scale
    They look fantastic and the 180 hub is a little Swiss jewel
    Iíve got a set of nobl tr36ís on hydras that might be better trail wheels as the xrcís are stiff
    Iím messing with suspension settings and seeing if a psi here or there might make the xrcís friendlier for 4+ hour rides on high speed chunky terrain
    But for anything xc theyíre a no brainer, the ride quality is really really nice....Iím a sucker for DT hubs, so easy to work on and seriously, 1498 for a taped up 30mm wheelset that should be bomber
    Hell yeah switzerland
    Nice. Any pictures of them mounted on your bike?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    482

    XRC 1200 30mm pics

    here you go @Le Duke...In trail mode 2.4 Dissector Front, 2.4 Rekon Rear
    can't wait to try out the new 2.4 Aspens and rekon Race...off topic but are those available anywhere?????

    Y'all please don't flame me for posting sideways pics of dirty trail bikes on the XC forum...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?-img_2364.jpg  

    What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?-img_2365.jpg  

    What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?-img_2369.jpg  

    What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?-img_2370.jpg  

    What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?-img_2375.jpg  

    What wheels (not tires) are you guys/gals racing?-img_2325-copy.jpg  


  54. #54
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,544
    New bike came with Stans Podium SRD wheels, except the rear is laced to an XTR hub instead of the Neo. So I will be racing those. I was happy with the Valor's before.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Nice. Any pictures of them mounted on your bike?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not too far OT, mind me asking why you're selling the new 240S hubset?

  56. #56
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,409
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Not too far OT, mind me asking why you're selling the new 240S hubset?
    Probably going to buy a set of pre-built wheels.

    Or, build something with centerlock hubs. Nothing wrong with them, just decided to go a different route.
    Death from Below.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-06-2019, 12:34 AM
  2. Question for Lenz owners and Endurance Racing guys/gals
    By CrashCanipe in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2014, 09:13 AM
  3. What size rotor are you guys and gals running?
    By pernfilman in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 10:28 PM
  4. I have no clue how you guys and gals do it
    By KevinGT in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Members who have read this thread: 139

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.