What style Mt biker makes a good Cyclocross racer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

What style Mt biker makes a good Cyclocross racer?

So obviously this is a mountain bike forum but I have been thinking of trying some cross races just for fun so I got to thinking.....what type/style of mountain biker makes a good cyclocross racer? for example: good climbers, time trial types, good single trackers, etc...

Thanks, The Novice

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The beer drinking kind.
    Try to be good.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The ones who blow up in the first hour, but not the first 30 minutes.

Depending on where you are in the country, you might still have a couple weeks to go find out for yourself.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

XC racers, Duh.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    The ones who blow up in the first hour, but not the first 30 minutes.

Depending on where you are in the country, you might still have a couple weeks to go find out for yourself.
    I've sometimes tried to give myself positive encouragement when strong cross racers line up for a mtb race. I'll tell myself "sure they're fast for an hour, but we'll be racing over two".
    Problem is they are usually still fast in the second hour.

What makes a good cross racer?
    Power, speed, and skills.

mtbr member
    I got beat by a couple guys at every cross race that I beat in all the local mtb races. I guess they can just go harder for 30 min than I can. They even used their mountain bikes, and I was on my cross bike. Oh well, I'm a xc racer, and I still ended up winning the championship due to me going to every cross race. I guess being consistent pays off too.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Novice View Post
    So obviously this is a mountain bike forum but I have been thinking of trying some cross races just for fun so I got to thinking.....what type/style of mountain biker makes a good cyclocross racer?
    Thanks, The Novice

Fast ones.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I've sometimes tried to give myself positive encouragement when strong cross racers line up for a mtb race. I'll tell myself "sure they're fast for an hour, but we'll be racing over two".
    Problem is they are usually still fast in the second hour.

What makes a good cross racer?
    Power, speed, and skills.
    You and your serious answer to my facetious comment.

When I'm strong, I'll often let people go at the bottom of a climb and see them again by the top.

When I'm not strong... well, I was just going to blow up trying to stay with them anyway. Or something.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    It seems to me that a pattern is hard to nail down. I don't race cyclocross but a lot of my friends do.

I see results where small guys do well, big guys do well, climbers, sprinter types, mtbers, crit dogs, roadies.........all seem to do well.

I agree with CB2, on his list of essential elements: power (sprint power), speed, skills. It seems that different racers rely on different elements to get their advantage. Just this past weekend, a friend of mine with INCREDIBLE sprint power and free-ride-BMX type skills (and low power/weight), won the tough B group here in Utah. He's like 5' 10" 190 and doesn't race much, so that was weird to see.

It's definitely less predictable than MTB racing in the mountain west, where racers seem to place in BMI order.

mtbr member
    What I don't get is how some of the top level mtn bikers are also racing at the top level in CX events, which happen in the late fall and winter. How the hell do 1hr max efforts fit into rest period or base training??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    What I don't get is how some of the top level mtn bikers are also racing at the top level in CX events, which happen in the late fall and winter. How the hell do 1hr max efforts fit into rest period or base training??
    Don't know if I fit that description but I will chime in.

It doesn't. I would be much better served droning out long rides from a fitness perspective. Or shredding DH sections on my MTB. Cross is fun though. It is a super hard effort. For us there is a great series and Allison even got to do a couple UCI weekends. Additionally cross has exposed us to tactics and race situations that we wouldn't otherwise see. Good for learning!
    Try to be good.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    You and your serious answer to my facetious comment.

When I'm strong, I'll often let people go at the bottom of a climb and see them again by the top.

When I'm not strong... well, I was just going to blow up trying to stay with them anyway. Or something.
    Well, I was going to answer the question "What style of MT biker makes a good cross racer" with

Not Me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_co2 View Post
    Our local CX series finished last week. I saw that one of our top level riders is taking 2 weeks off the bike before coming back into base. One method of mitigating burnout.

Another friend who typically races "A" group decided not to race cross this year to have a better road year (trying to get his Cat 1 road upgrade). I believe that he experienced some mid-summer burn out in the past and attributes it to racing cross. He's been basing pretty good since Nov 1st. We'll see how it works out for him.

likes to ride bikes
    He'd look something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by The Novice View Post
    So obviously this is a mountain bike forum but I have been thinking of trying some cross races just for fun so I got to thinking.....what type/style of mountain biker makes a good cyclocross racer? for example: good climbers, time trial types, good single trackers, etc...

Thanks, The Novice

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ^^Holy Tebow! That guy was fast! He should just run the whole course!!

SSOD
    Trebon is also 6'5" and having long legs helps getting through barriers with less steps, most fast guys can do it in two steps.

But typically in cross the strongest rider on the day usually wins regardless of background. Especially for the shorter races. A lot of the pro cx guys race road and mtb as well. Good examples of mtb'ers who race cross are Geoff Kabush, Todd Wells, and Adam Craig

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Fast ones.
    Winnah!
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The one that rides/races a lot of road as well.

Outrunning zombies
    I've been thinking about getting a CX bike. I think I would be beaten into a pulp during the ride, and finish last, but it would be insane fun.
    GF/Trek HiFi | Hardrock Sport Disc 29er
    If you don't eat **** every now and again, you aren't riding hard enough!

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    I got beat by a couple guys at every cross race that I beat in all the local mtb races. I guess they can just go harder for 30 min than I can. They even used their mountain bikes, and I was on my cross bike. Oh well, I'm a xc racer, and I still ended up winning the championship due to me going to every cross race. I guess being consistent pays off too.
    Keep the riding consistency during the off-season and you might be beating those guys next year.

MTB races are usually won with guys with high power/weight ratios. More climbing spread out over a longer race. CX races don't have the sustained climbs...short climbs where you run up and flatter sections of dirt, mud and grass where having a bigger build producing big power is maybe a little more advantageous.

It's not THAT different, though. CX guys are used to operating at a higher percentage of their VO2 Max and maybe have slightly better glycolytic capacity. When I started MTB racing years ago I had to learn to pace myself a bit cuz I'd fade after the first hour. With CX I'd have to unlearn that a bit and train to go harder.

Both good candidates for High Intensity Training - shorter work intervals with shorter rest intervals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think the MTB racers who have a strong LT (of course) and can keep repeating their high end power seem to do well in Cross. Weight also seems to be less of a factor in Cross.

I have the ability to finish on the overall podium for MTB races. In cross, I bring up the back of the race and usually blow up. It's humbling.
    Turning the pedals faster every year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I attended a lecture by a National Champion in cross.
    He had the idea that endurance racers make good crossers if they also posess sufficient technical skills. By endurance he meant about 3-3,5 hour mtb races.

mtbr member
    I friend of mine races cross and he was a top notch mtbike racer before getting the cross bug. He's more of a spindly climber, I can't hang on the climb but can usually beat him down the hill, after he waits at the summit. In cross his technical skills are head and shoulders above the Rodie types that fill the cross ranks. Therefore he does extremely well on slick muddy technical cross courses, and struggles on the less tecky dry fast crit style courses.

That said the same elements that make a good cyclist seem to be the same no matter what discipline you attempt. Good power to weight, high physical thresholds, lots of practice/discipline, time and money to train and eat right.

mtbr member
    I would expect that racers who clear lactic acid quickly and can sustain power about threshold for longer times would excel at cross, and those with better threshold power/ weight would excel at mountain biking, but a recent article comparing Adam Craig to Ryan Trebon showed the opposite to be true.

Ryan has a better power to weight, and he seems to do better in cross than Adam.

Adam has better lactic acid clearance and muscular endurance, but seems to do better in mountain biking.

I'm not sure there's any correlation to be found to what kind of rider will be good at 'cross...it's too unique when compared to other disciplines.

Bro Mountainbiker
    The mountain biker that can handle in mud!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Now broadcasting from CO
    One who's not afraid to take lots of risks in corners and drives their bike well. It will make up for how slow you will be on straights/climbs compared to the roadies.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Menace
    One with a high LT, smooth skills and drive..........or one who just digs racing and is having fun.