mtbr member

New question here. What are good pre-riding meals

I cant seem to find the ballance if I eat too much I feel sick, if I dont eat enough I feel sick. What is the ideal meal before a big ride or a race, and how long prior to the start. For long day trips I like to bring along a ham and cheese sandwich and trail mix and that works ok for me, but I cant find a good pre-ride meal.

The Riddler

individuality...

it all depends on YOU. Good guidelines are eat nothing solid three hours before a race. Just a little sports drink about 1.5hrs before. For training though, i eat a big lunch about two-four hours before. Maybe 1000 calories or more. I like lunch.

XCdude

Is funny because If I eat anything other than bacon and eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Rox
    I cant seem to find the ballance if I eat too much I feel sick, if I dont eat enough I feel sick. What is the ideal meal before a big ride or a race, and how long prior to the start. For long day trips I like to bring along a ham and cheese sandwich and trail mix and that works ok for me, but I cant find a good pre-ride meal.
    I feel sick. I have tried cereal,oatmeal,pancakes and stuff like that and they kill me. Another thing that has worked for me is a yogurt, toast and coffee. Cant eat pasta with sauce either before a ride up to 4 hours, feel all sick

So inconclusion, keep trying thigs out until you find something that works for you and you only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have a very weird stomach also...

I find that if I eat waffles with a light syrup on them about 3.5 hours before a race then 1 cliff bar about 1.5 hours before the race, and if I'm feeling hungry I'll eat half of another about a half hour before the race I feel pretty good. This has worked for me for part of last year and so far this year with no ill effects. I used to be running for the bathroom if I ate oatmeal or cereal or anything else but now I'm fine and I have a very sensitive stomach.

mtbr member

Food

My pre race meal is a Bagle with cream cheese and a slice of turkey. On the way to the race I try hydrate as much as possible, but sometimes the cold drinks get my stomach going so i started drinking herbal tea. Withthe exception of the tiem I burnt my lip it's worked great But I won that race so maybe it's good luck

nope...
    Mar 2004

Experimentation.

Try different foods at different times. I try not to eat heavy for about 2 hours before a ride and maybe a banana just before I ride. I usually take granola bars along. Used to take dried apricots along, I thing I'll start doing this again. Hydrate well, but not too much, the stomach only emptys at about 1 liter per hour and more than this while riding hard is likely to return to sender.When you eat, be aware of how long it is until you feel like you stomach empty or not feeling stuffed with different foods. Go with easily digestable carbs near ride/race and harder to digest foods 3-4 hours before the ride. Try energy gels or energy bars if you can find one you like.