Water consumption the day before and day of ride- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

Water consumption the day before and day of ride

I've seen other post of people taking in a gallon of H2O the day before a ride and I am well on my way to that mark. My ride will be tomorrow after work and I just wondered if I am getting all of this water in too early in the day for it to benefit me tomorrow. It's 1:00 PM central time and so far I've ingested approximately 84 ounces. I know it wont hurt me to be this well hydrated but my ride will not begin until around 4:30 tomorrow. By the time I go to bed tonight I will possibly have taken in well more than a gallon.

This will be a solo ride lasting anywhere from 2-4 hours. Tomorrows temps will be the highest of the year so far at about 85 degrees F so I want to be prepaired. Also should I eat about 2 hours before the ride?

I hate the thoughts of bonking when riding alone.

Dave ><>

May 2004
    Hydration/water consumption is obviously very important,,,and more so 24 hours before any race. The key is to develop this consumption on a daily basis before any physical activity.

My average water intake is at least 1 gallon a day. Some days I'm around a gallon and a half!

It all really depends on the person as far as eating/drinking 2 hours before a race. Some guys can eat a piece of pizza, drink coffee and then race an hour later. I know that I can eat a light meal 3 hours before a race and heavily hydrate my body almost up until the start time.

Just be careful with your sport drinks,,,I typically water down either gatorade or cyto so I'm not shocking my stomach.

ceteris paribus
    Drinking lots of water is good. But everything in excess is unhealthy. Be carefull not to drink too much, i think it might affect your kidneys, but Im not sure how much water is too much water.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It is possible to drink too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moore
    I've seen other post of people taking in a gallon of H2O the day before a ride and I am well on my way to that mark. My ride will be tomorrow after work and I just wondered if I am getting all of this water in too early in the day for it to benefit me tomorrow. It's 1:00 PM central time and so far I've ingested approximately 84 ounces. I know it wont hurt me to be this well hydrated but my ride will not begin until around 4:30 tomorrow. By the time I go to bed tonight I will possibly have taken in well more than a gallon.

This will be a solo ride lasting anywhere from 2-4 hours. Tomorrows temps will be the highest of the year so far at about 85 degrees F so I want to be prepaired. Also should I eat about 2 hours before the ride?

Dave ><>

Drinking too much water seems to flush electrolytes from my system and result in cramping. Symptomatic of drinking too much is having to urinate about every 90 minutes............at least that was my experience and observation. I consciously hydrate prior to rides and racing but do it in moderation.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moore

Dave ><>
    Drinking too much water can be as or more harmful than not drinking enough. Go to a search engine and type in " dangers of drinking too much water " and you will find a number of articles explaining how your electrolyte balance can be dangerously upset by drinking too much water and the importance of proper hydration.

May 2004
    Drinking too much of the wrong kind of water is potentially bad for you.....i.e. distilled water, tap water, etc.

You have to drink water with a good mineral balance. Certain water may (research has not completely proven this) leach minerals and electrolytes from your body, but if your drinking water such as "Trinity" or "Smart Water" brands that are fortified with minerals....a gallon a day won't hurt you. In fact the AMA and the American College of Sports Med has been recommending this for quite a while.

bleeding eventually stops

hyponatremia can kill you (problem with excess H2O)

Quote Originally Posted by Razor
    Drinking too much of the wrong kind of water is potentially bad for you.....i.e. distilled water, tap water, etc.

You have to drink water with a good mineral balance. Certain water may (research has not completely proven this) leach minerals and electrolytes from your body, but if your drinking water such as "Trinity" or "Smart Water" brands that are fortified with minerals....a gallon a day won't hurt you. In fact the AMA and the American College of Sports Med has been recommending this for quite a while.
    Hyponatremia is low sodium in your blood which can be caused by a number of medical maladies but here can be caused by too much water consumption. It is a big deal, there have been of number of marathoners who have died, yes died from this. In it's more severe forms it can cause seizures, autonomic instability (ie your regulation of blood pressure and pulse are shot) and respiratory arrest. In more minor forms it causes muscle cramps, altered mental status, nausea and vomiting.
    There's no good and bad water....it's water. H2O, tap water, evian whatever, it may taste different but none of them will affect you differently. The other option is electrolyte solutions, there are a million out there but the key is that they have sodium and other minerals in them as well as some simple sugars in most cases. Whatever works for you, great. Personally I drink Cytomax, tastes great and has lactic acid buffers to reduce muscle fatigue. I dilute it pretty well. There may be some more products that sell themselves as water that have electrolytes in them, but I've never looked.
    Now the question is still how much and of what. There is no literature or real scientific way of defining this. A lot of gestalt from racers though. Not a big use in overhydrating yourself, you're just going to pee it out as you dilute the minerals in your body. If your drink an electrolyte solution you won't dilute your minerals, just pee. So the sky is the limit. I would recommend drinking from 500ml to a liter an hour or so before the event, preferably as a diluted electrolyte solution. The more important aspect is staying hydrated during and after the event, as well as not starting off dehydrated.
    This is particularly important if you are riding in hot, dry climates and/or long endurance type riding. Your muscles will actually break down a bit and release myoglobin (the hemoglobin equivalent in your muscles) with enough of this you can clog your kidney and lead to kidney failure. Last week I admited a 32 year old who did this exact thing to himself, and the treatment was.... you guessed it hydrate the hell out of him (through an IV) with an electrolyte solution (saline) to flush out the myoglobin. It is at the end of events where heroic quantities of liquids may be required. And it MUST be an electrolyte solution.
    There is no reason not to use electrolyte solutions when you ride. Nothing wrong with water in reasonable quantities, but if you are talking about drinking gallons...well that could be a problem. If you are going for a long, hot ride, and you drink only water...you will get muscle cramps and this is what it will be from. If you are contemplating ultra-endurance events this is a life and death issue because really significant hyponatremia is most likely to happen here.

Apr 2004

Thanks.

Some really good information here. I appreciate the tips

Dave ><>

Members who have read this thread: 0