warm arms = warm hands?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

warm arms = warm hands?

I just got back from our regular tues night training ride, it was about 37f and raining pretty hard. We cut it a little short, the only other guy that made it got a bit too cold, mostly in the hands. I was not wearing great gloves, just my regular mid-weight spring/fall gloves, and they were soaked, but a comfortable temperature. I've recently added some thicker armwarmers, I'm surprised how much warmer they are than my thinner ones. My feet were a little cold, but my core (just 2 thin layers and a surplus camo jacket) was warm, as were my arms. I'm thinking warm core + warm arms = warm hands, the warm arms part being what is often missed. If you often get cold hands, try some better arm warmers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Good stuff

I am amazed at how much more fatigued I feel after ride if I get overtly cold on ride. (feet and legs)

I use latex gloves (doctor type) underneath riding gloves - my hands will sweat,,but fingers stay warm

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I find that too, although it's best for me to not overly dress for the temperature because sweating is detrimental to my overall warmth level. If I sweat inordinately I get cold almost instantaneously if I stop at all. For me, dressing is always a balancing act. If I'm not shivering before a ride then I'm dressed too warmly.

As for extremities; that's tough. I've recently purchased insulated cycling boots which help tremendously. Fingers are still a problem. I get numb hands often and numb hands are cold hands no matter how warm I am.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ^^^
    You should try latex or nitrile gloves underneath - I wear mine tight and put them on inside with fingers warm
    They are Cheap and if they don't work for you, you can still use in the garage to keep your hands clean.
    A pro motocrosser turned me on to them
    Yesterday went for ride (cloudy, 38 deg, 10 mph wind) with med weight long fingered gloves, when i took them off, they were obviously sweaty (dripping),,,but fingers were warm - never thought about them on 2 hour ride.

Cold Weather Glove Tips ? Handup Gloves

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I've recently added some thicker armwarmers, I'm surprised how much warmer they are than my thinner ones.... I'm thinking warm core + warm arms = warm hands, the warm arms part being what is often missed. If you often get cold hands, try some better arm warmers.
    100% agree with this observation - and intuitively (somewhat right) it makes sense.

not a fan of the latex/nitrile glove method save for emergencies as accumulating sweat in the winter isn't always a great idea. I prefer to stay dry and warm. Sometimes that means wearing a pack so that I can stow jackets/gloves/balaclava for the uphill stuff (typically an hour or so) and then put on whatever for the downhill portion.

Pogies/Bar mitts are freaking worth their weight in gold as far as i'm concerned. Self-made or purchased. nothing quite like wearing your summer wight glove when it's 30F/0c out.

More than a little slow
    I really agree with the warm arms > warm hands thing. If you don't mind me asking, who makes your warmer/thicker armwarmers?
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have an ancient pair of Pearl Izumi's, I got a newer set (used) in my teams old kit colors, made by Squadra. I ride/race wet a lot, which doesn't bother me at all if I'm warm. A year or so ago I added (kind of by accident) a cheap starter brand t-shirt (lycra -ish, $9 or so at walmart) and it helps a LOT.

I'm thinking of it this way: the core is where the heat is built & maintained, any heat loss while your blood is going through your (long) arms to your hands will result in colder hands, keep your blood warm all the way to your wrists and you'll have warmer hands. Same should be true for feet; cold feet?, try better tights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here's me not quite a year ago, soaking wet but warm. You know it's cold if I haven't rolled my armwarmers down. After the race it's tough to get changed quick enough to not get super cold. There were a couple of us waiting around for podium after that one, - grown men shivering like little kids!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails warm arms = warm hands?-jim-3rd-lap.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWhiteCD View Post
    As for extremities; that's tough. I've recently purchased insulated cycling boots which help tremendously.
    What did you get? I'm thinking about getting Shimano winter cycling MTB shoes. After 1.5 hours, with Shimano regular XC shoes, my feet are done, even with wool socks and full shoe covers (Giro is what I've been using).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have Scott Heater MTB Shoes

I bought them at the end of last winter. Living in midwest,,,i should have bought boots a lot sooner.

I sure wish keeping feet warm were as easy as heavier tights. That cold transfering thru pedal to cleat is tough on regular mtb shoes

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    What did you get? I'm thinking about getting Shimano winter cycling MTB shoes. After 1.5 hours, with Shimano regular XC shoes, my feet are done, even with wool socks and full shoe covers (Giro is what I've been using).
    NorthWave boots. Couple rides so far with them. I bought them online- sale price so I was glad they fit fairly well. A bit narrow in the toe so it doesn't help matters, but overall pretty warm. I'll use bootie covers with them when it gets freezing here ever again. Toe warmers after that.

mtbr member
    Warm arms= warm hands? We are currently in the throes of winter up here in Utah, and
    I've noticed my feet stay warmer when I wear long over-the-calf socks (as long as socks are thin wool; thick wool inhibits circulation). So could be a similar thing.

The body transfers heat probably no different than any other object, and that extra layer probably helps capture heat.

My Achilles heal for winter riding is my feet, so will soon invest in some winter mtb shoes. Can use it on mtb and cross bike. Road bikes are just no fun in winter; my carbon rims and corresponding pads just don't work and can be pretty scary when it doesn't stop bike.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 01-12-2016 at 10:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have the shimano winter boots. Did a three hour ride in Pisgah Sunday. It was about 40 degrees. I walked through a creek, it snowed a little at the top, feet stayed warm and happy with nothing but thin wool socks.