Trek TOP fuel rsl 2017 or Scott spark 900 rc sl 2017- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Trek TOP fuel rsl 2017 or Scott spark 900 rc sl 2017

Which is better for XC racing, Trek TOP fuel rsl 2017 or Scott spark 900 rc sl 2017 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Agree 100% with Turd and just go demo the bikes, whatever fits you the best, get that one..give it a couple more days, the Trek guys will be all over this post just like every other post that asks about " What bike to get"..I tried 7 bikes before I bought my Epic, for me, it wasn't even close, best decision I ever made was going out and getting on demo bikes and making my own decision...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    It is the motor, would be fast on either, which color you like best?
    Not sure what to think about his user name, but he's spot-on here.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well I see I got beat to it by one of the Specialized guys just like every other post that asks about what bike to get....

Kidding aside, both of these bikes are absolute rockets. I'm a little bigger guy, so I might lean towards the Trek. Both frames are light, but Scott really seems to work hard to pull every single gram possible out of their frames, and my limited sample size of observations indicates that this results in more breakage.

One thing in the Scott's camp, for sure, is their remote. Fox really stubbed their toe on the version supplied with the Top Fuel (though I hear a better version is close at hand).

FWIW, I've never raced a faster, less fun bike than the Epic. Nothing else has come close.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just wrestled with the same question and ended up ordering a Trek frameset yesterday. I wouldn't be able to do a good ride comparison test for many months so made the choice "on paper". I initially wanted to get the Scott but the low bb scared me off. (I'm missing a chunk of my collarbone from a freak crash many years ago when I somehow caught a pedal on a real small root that was barely above the dirt when nearly spun-out in top gear during a race. So I'm paranoid).

I think the Scott's traction-mode would take care of my pedal clearance questions, but I wasn't sure I'd like the loss of travel for much of my riding. A great deal of my trails are relatively flat with a lot of corners and some roots, so I think I would need to spend a great deal of time in this mode. No such worries with the Top Fuel.

Bottom line is that I think I'd really like the Scott but didn't dare buy it without spending some significant time on it. Since I didn't want to wait, I went for the one that for me is a sure bet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fredbooxe View Post
    I initially wanted to get the Scott but the low bb scared me off.
    Good point. For my local riding and racing, the trend towards ever lower BBs is a negative. Too much of a good thing, IMO.
    Whining is not a strategy.