mtbr member

Treatment for chronic jock itch?

Been mountain biking 7 years, but this past year has been terrible on the crotch. I have tried Tinactin, talcum powder, even aloe gel. Any (serious) advice out there? I ride 6 hrs/wk and supplement cardio-machine twice/wk in the gym.
    A thousand mile journey begins with a single step.
    Confuscious; 337 BC
    A 24 mile ride begins with a single stroke.
    ScrappyDo; 2004

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrappydoh
    Been mountain biking 7 years, but this past year has been terrible on the crotch. I have tried Tinactin, talcum powder, even aloe gel. Any (serious) advice out there? I ride 6 hrs/wk and supplement cardio-machine twice/wk in the gym.
    Are you sure it's Jock Itch? Maybe you need to get it diagnosed if OTC stuff doesn't work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just ask your wife

What does she use when she gets "infections" down there? It's bacteria that needs to be killed off. Vagisil works wonders.....just get your wife/girlfriend to buy it for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

if it's jock itch

then it is caused by a fungus and you must use an anti-fungal cream (tinactin, lotrimin etc) if these don't work it is because you are providing a moist environment and you must do your best to keep dry (cotton undies). Sometimes you need to take an oral antifungal tablet like lamisil (prescription only). Jock itch should be itchy, a little or alot red and the skin should look flaky. hope this helps
    dr bob

mtbr member
    Thank you all. Went to see a doctor yesterday. He said "over-the-counter" ie Tinactin is pretty much useless. He prescribed a compound cream "Triamcinolone/Ketoconazole and I swear improvement overnight! I threw away the Tinactin.
    A thousand mile journey begins with a single step.
    Confuscious; 337 BC
    A 24 mile ride begins with a single stroke.
    ScrappyDo; 2004

mtbr member
    May 2004

On the same note....

Besides jock itch...can someone provide some advice on good chamois cream to use for saddle sores??

Saw Lance A. creaming up his shorts real good but wouldn't give up his "secret" chammy cream....

What works for you guys?

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by -dude-
    if these don't work it is because you are providing a moist environment and you must do your best to keep dry (cotton undies).
    COTTON UNDERWEAR SUCKS!!!

I have heard this same spiel about cotton underwear being breathable, blaa blaa blaa. When cotton gets wet - it stays wet! That means that every drop off buttsweat is staying right next to your skin - this causes "diaper rash" and I have a massive problem with this in the humid summer months. I actually have to use diaper rash cream (the gerber stuff that smells fishy is best). So, last year I found these awesome boxers at REI

I bought 8 pairs and never wear cotton crap again...

The only thing wrong with them is that they have the stupid pissflap - who the he77 uses these? All it does is add more material to make you hotter.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor
    Besides jock itch...can someone provide some advice on good chamois cream to use for saddle sores??

Saw Lance A. creaming up his shorts real good but wouldn't give up his "secret" chammy cream....

What works for you guys?

chamois butter seems to work pretty well for me. but apparently the "assos" made butter works a little better. both available at REI.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What works for you guys?
    Lance is using the Assos product. $17+ a tub..

I've used Bag Balm for years to help with saddle sores. It is sold at feed and seed stores and is marketed for putting on Cow's udders.

yeah yeah, heard all the jokes before. But lots of cyclists have been using the stuff for years. It has some antibacterial properities to it. It is cheap as crap and lasts forever.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I didn't know Lance uses Assos?? I know it's pretty common stuff, I'll have to check it out. I've been using Chamois butt'r but the stuff doesnt' seem to last through a long ride.

mtbr member

Try these.........

I didn't know Lance uses Assos?? I know it's pretty common stuff, I'll have to check it out. I've been using Chamois butt'r but the stuff doesnt' seem to last through a long ride.
    Aquaphor healing ointment (vasoline with lanolin) over-the-counter works pretty well for long rides, but don't know how the chamois will hold up. Also, I hear the Nalini Relief Cream is good. At link: http://www.bikejerseys.com/nalrelcream.html.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Desitan!!

Try Desitan. It works great for me, ever since I was $hitting yellow - seriously though, it works great and is very cheap. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah,, I've heard about people using desitan for saddle chaffing but after they get home and shower............amazing, I've also heard about people using that stuff for acne,,works on everything I guess. Next time I gash my leg, I'll try squeezing some desitan in it!!

Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah,, I've heard about people using desitan for saddle chaffing but after they get home and shower............amazing, I've also heard about people using that stuff for acne,,works on everything I guess. Next time I gash my leg, I'll try squeezing some desitan in it!!

Thanks for the info

pour some robitussin on it !

you need tussin !!!

Members who have read this thread: 1