Stupid question...can 29'ers be raced alongside "normal" 26" bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Stupid question...can 29'ers be raced alongside "normal" 26" bikes?

I've been reading up on 29'ers and was wondering if that will be the future of mtb racing. What do you think? And if you own a 29'er, can you race it in XC races with other "normal" mountain bikes? I'm curious if the 29'ers have an advantage over other bikes. I know the rider makes the most difference, but it seems like these 29'ers have some potential.

Alright, let's ride!
    In the races I have been in 29'ers race in the same class the rest of us race. I'm pretty sure they are allowed in the regular classes in NORBA races as well.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    I've been reading up on 29'ers and was wondering if that will be the future of mtb racing. What do you think? And if you own a 29'er, can you race it in XC races with other "normal" mountain bikes? I'm curious if the 29'ers have an advantage over other bikes. I know the rider makes the most difference, but it seems like these 29'ers have some potential.
    I race a 29er. Only caught flak one time, so I told him it was actually a 28.75er.

Jun 2005
    UCI rules state the max size for MTB wheels is 29". Although that doesn't stop smaller race organizers from setting their own standards any race that "matters" will abide by UCI rules/guidelines.

If anyone gives you flack then they believe it's an advantage and should be riding one too. If not their loss!

I have not had a problem...

with racing the 29'er so far. Only races I do are in CO area and endurance type; FC50, Silver Rush, Laramie Enduro. 9'ers are pretty well accepted here. I think some local races may have their own rules about what's allowed.

Who was it that raced a cyclocross in a pro MTB race and I think won or podiumed? Adam Craig or Travis Brown? I can't remember, it might also have been a singlespeed. Anyway there was this big commotion about unfair advantage but I think in the end they were allowed.

Cracked me up. So isn't suspension an advantage? What about those disc brakes? Why penalize 29'ers.

Bottom line I think UCI officially does allow them now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't know much about 29'ers... just beginning my research... but do you think they are the future of mountain bikes... and more specifically XC racing? Do they have advantages for XC racing over 26'ers?

To answer your question...

which I did not do in my last post.

Being a recent convert, absolutely I think 29'ers have a future in MTB racing. I've never ridden better since switching. However, I don't know if they will supplant 26" wheeled bikes. It will certainly depend on the rider. I have not seen a pro race a true 29'er to victory yet, or at all really. When that happens, watch out. The rush will be on.

Here are some posts with a lot of info on the pros and cons. Way too much to cover here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=18514

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=117170

Try one. You may or may not like it.

Nat
    mtbr member

I'm an idiot and stand corrected!

And I was just in WP today on my ss 29'er. What if Nat had ridden by and I did not know who he was And I bet he's the Nat that posts here all the time!

Anyway, good to know there are pros spreading the word in Endurance. What about regular XC World Cup type races like at Angel Fire, etc.? Any pros riding 9'ers?

I'm going home now...

looks like I was corrected by Nat himself.

Nat, you da man!

see you on the trails, maybe.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    looks like I was corrected by Nat himself.

Nat, you da man!

see you on the trails, maybe.
    I wish I were as talented as Nat Ross, but I'm a different Nat.

thank goodness...

i'd a hate to have been corrected by the man himself.

but thanks for setting me straight! on both counts

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    i'd a hate to have been corrected by the man himself.

but thanks for setting me straight! on both counts
    No biggie. Nat Ross does also post here from time to time. He logs on under the handle "Nat Ross" so you might run across him once in awhile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looks like 29'ers are quickly becoming the bike of choice for endurance events...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=118883

They were at the Laramie Enduro too..

Quote Originally Posted by GotMojo?
    Looks like 29'ers are quickly becoming the bike of choice for endurance events...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=118883
    I saw 8-10 of them at least. A GF 292, Rivendell !, Surly with drops, a Waltworks (mine is a WW also), Don McClung, a Moots 9'er and a couple of others I can not remember. During the race several people asked me how I liked mine and of course I told them it was the best bike I'd ever ridden. Many of them had been thinking of trying 9'er. I told them to stop thinking

I don't see any pics of 9'ers on this link yet, I'll try and post mine if I can figure out how:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=119099

RC was no where to be found.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I don't see why not

It's not the bike, really.

There are so many different choices: FS, rigid, singlespeed, 29" and the combinations. I've seen cross bikes also, although it is something I would never do on that particular course.

I am usually the only singlespeed and have yet to catch some flak. I love the local race scene, people are nice and race fair.

Maurice

Members who have read this thread: 0