Strava Removes Segment Leaderboards For Non Subscription Members- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Strava Removes Segment Leaderboards For Non Subscription Members

I thought this was worth being aware of. From today 18 May 2020 Strava have changed their service so that leaderboards and segment analysis are only available to subscribers:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/...-and-more.html

My initial reaction is that this is the beginning of the end for Strava.

The Top 10 times that are still visible to non subscribers, certainly round here, are unreachable for 99.9% of people. It removes a big incentive for non subscribers to bother uploading rides Strava if they can't use the segments anymore to see how they compare with their friends or with their own historic times.

Up In Smoke
    Dang, end of an era
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

Formerly of Kent
    Certainly doesn't bode well for them, long term.

Although, it may also cut down on their costs. The people who were willing to pay before will still be willing to pay now, I'd imagine. So, same amount of money coming in, and perhaps a good bit less money being spent on housing all of that data.

I've been using Strava far more in the last couple months than I have in years. No group rides, no races, hell, I can't even talk to people on the trail anymore. Maybe I'll be one of their new subscribers.
    Death from Below.

Sneaker man
    I think if, years ago, they had of gone, hey we have made this cool thing, it's really kicking off, but we need to pay the bills, you want the good stuff, pay for it, otherwise limited access.
    But now after, what 10 years or there abouts, have loads of users with years of invested data and use it all the time, hey, screw you, you now have to pay, and through the nose.
    It doesn't bother me so much (content wise) I have been a paid subscriber since ~2012, but I think it just really stinks.
    Just like, "we take away the newest content feed...for whatever wacky reason (like how many people ever wanted that to be changed), then when everyone complains about it, suddenly bring it back as a "new feature".

It's like they are trying to go out of business.

Now if only segments in garmin connect weren't...completely daft...
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    It's definitely interesting. I was a paid subscriber for a few years, I kept letting it roll over. Until I sat down and tried to work out what I was getting for paying. Not anything that I used. However the leaderboard function is definitely something I like.

Maybe someone else will step in fill the gap.

mtbr member
    No fair getting me hooked on segments and then pulling the cord.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Occasionally engagedÖ
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    But now after, what 10 years or there abouts, have loads of users with years of invested data and use it all the time, hey, screw you, you now have to pay, and through the nose.
    $5 a month is "through the nose"? The way people around here throw money at random questionable bike parts...this is nothing. Hell, not hitting up the coffee shop 2 or more times a week due to this shelter in place thing, I've got 5 to 10 years worth of Strava subscription saved up. I'm absolutely willing to pay now for the leaderboards alone, and some of the other features have been tempting me for the past few months. But I am glad I snagged that KOM on a local trail yesterday -- might last longer with this new policy!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm actually resubscribing now. I absolutely hated the direction they were going with trying to socialmediafy the whole app with an algorithm based feed, individual "posts" and advertisements.

From the changes I've read it looks like they're back on the right path and $5 a month is dirt cheap. Seriously, most people waste far more than that per month buying bottled water instead of bringing their own and a limitless amount of other useless crap.

Up In Smoke
    Now is the time to get grandfathered in at a good price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    I thought this was worth being aware of. From today 18 May 2020 Strava have changed their service so that leaderboards and segment analysis are only available to subscribers:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/...-and-more.html

My initial reaction is that this is the beginning of the end for Strava.

The Top 10 times that are still visible to non subscribers, certainly round here, are unreachable for 99.9% of people. It removes a big incentive for non subscribers to bother uploading rides Strava if they can't use the segments anymore to see how they compare with their friends or with their own historic times.

I donít mind paying and will continue. It is cheap entertainment and helps motivate friends to get out and ride. I am too old for top 10 but do check the age group top 10 and try for those. It is also good to compare prior years, well not always when you are older and slower.

Strava Kudos to all!

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptor View Post
    $5 a month is "through the nose"? The way people around here throw money at random questionable bike parts...this is nothing. Hell, not hitting up the coffee shop 2 or more times a week due to this shelter in place thing, I've got 5 to 10 years worth of Strava subscription saved up. I'm absolutely willing to pay now for the leaderboards alone, and some of the other features have been tempting me for the past few months. But I am glad I snagged that KOM on a local trail yesterday -- might last longer with this new policy!
    Ah yep, sorry, I was just going by a comment I saw elsewhere today that said it was costing them 90 pounds/year... I haven't actually looked in an age at what is pay, but now i have and it is $125/year (~$80USD).
    In the scheme of things, not much...but tell someone that has been using it for free that yesterday the thing they had was fee, is today costing...and the thing they had for free was worth it, but today without it, it not worth it. .. And we're not talking about the people here, more the "just go riding occasionally" or commuting that maybe the low amount/month is too much.

Personally i don't mind most of what they put behind the paywall... but the segment leaderboard, to me, is the thing that makes strava strava, without that being free, is a big mistake. But that's just me.

Dirty Old Man
    Personally, I don't mind paying. I always felt they didn't do enough to differentiate between the paid and free accounts.
    . . . . . . . .

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My perspective is that I used the free-version for years, after reading this today I decided to switch to pay version. Pretty good business decision on their part I think.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Occasionally engagedÖ
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I haven't actually looked in an age at what is pay, but now i have and it is $125/year (~$80USD).
    My receipt says two months for free then I'll be billed $59.99 US for the next year (starting on 7/18/20). Looking at my Strava feed just now, virtually all of the 30 or so folks I follow just upped to the paid subscription. I think Strava will survive this move...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The thing with strava is that at first glance your life seems better with it, but after much though its exactly like facebook. You are happier without it.

Strava had terrible management, paid users were ignored for years when they reported bugs, they also refused to fix basic functionability for paid users.

They received a lot of investment in hopes of future profit that never materialized, uber-esque. It's not that it can't sustain by subscriptions, is just that they wasted a lot of money and they have pretty much the same service as 5 years ago.

Honestly, it boggles my mind why they don't go the facebook route. Sell ads, you got all the data. They can sell ads for local races, local bikeshops, etc. Focused ads work, period. Instead, they went the atomic route, mindblowing.

Have in mind "free" users weren't freeloading, their data is/was being sold and monetized. Without such data strava lose its biggest value. Now with this move, they are just alienating their main data mining usergroup.

Hopefully something better comes off of it.

mtbr member
    Some aspects drive me nuts, if you're shuttling it would be nice if it treated the day as one ride. I start and stop it so I don't get the uplift. But unless they've changed it, it would be nice feature to pause at the bottom of the run, then restart it at the top without adding the elevation to your ride.

mtbr member
    Interesting business move making people pay for something that was free for years. I have no intention on upgrading. I will be fine so long as it shows the segment time for a specific ride. If it doesnít do that it becomes basically worthless to me and I will probably stop using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptor View Post
    My receipt says two months for free then I'll be billed $59.99 US for the next year (starting on 7/18/20). Looking at my Strava feed just now, virtually all of the 30 or so folks I follow just upped to the paid subscription. I think Strava will survive this move...
    Yeah that's for this year with the free trial, not the usual rate? As it tells me its $82. Now no, that isnt a huge amount of money, I'm not rich, but don't have an issue paying for it (as I have for the last 8 years). For some people that is too much money, for a lot of people that will be too much money for what they got for free, that now isn't.

I like strava, I pay partly for the features and partly to support the company (I like the program, just not really how they run it), I just hope it doesn't end up like Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The way things are evolving (at least around here, but I'm sure it's probably not much different elsewhere), I don't really care. For training log and analyze of training, Strava is useless anyway, so I'm sticking with Polar Flow for that. Segments were cool, but with amount of e-bikes around, they are getting completely useless. Before when I got dropped by some Protour rider, at least I knew why. Now when Protour riders (even if on mtb, as I ride mtb only) are getting dropped for 10min on 20min climb by some beerbelly couch potato on moped, things sort of lost interest for me. I know how to compare with protour guys, but having absolutely no idea if someone has moped or real bike kinda dimishes point of these segments. So paying to see that thing is just another reason for me to slowly disconnect my Polar from Strava and forget about it. It's not that I really need those segments, and for "testing myself against myself last season" I can go back to old way, stopwatch and manual segment on certain trail part. Not really big deal
    Primoz

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by primoz View Post
    The way things are evolving (at least around here, but I'm sure it's probably not much different elsewhere), I don't really care. For training log and analyze of training, Strava is useless anyway, so I'm sticking with Polar Flow for that. Segments were cool, but with amount of e-bikes around, they are getting completely useless. Before when I got dropped by some Protour rider, at least I knew why. Now when Protour riders (even if on mtb, as I ride mtb only) are getting dropped for 10min on 20min climb by some beerbelly couch potato on moped, things sort of lost interest for me. I know how to compare with protour guys, but having absolutely no idea if someone has moped or real bike kinda dimishes point of these segments. So paying to see that thing is just another reason for me to slowly disconnect my Polar from Strava and forget about it. It's not that I really need those segments, and for "testing myself against myself last season" I can go back to old way, stopwatch and manual segment on certain trail part. Not really big deal
    For testing yourself against yourself you can use Strava Segments.

I use VeloViewer and Elevate to expand the Strava data to see how I'm (hopefully) improving.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Iím 99% sure Iím not the target market for the new Strava, but I dumped it many years back. And have enjoyed my rides a lot more since. My cheap little Chinese GPS speedo still records distance, time, average speed, max speed, elevation & temperature, and uploads it onto a map, the lap button still works, thatís plenty of info for me. I can easily track how much mileage Iím getting out of various components, I really canít find anything to complain about. Plenty of riders pass me on my rides, so I already know Iím not the fastest, or close to it, I really donít care

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    when is this supposed to happen? i am not subscribed and still have all the segments/leader boards working as they were yesterday or any day before for that matter.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    when is this supposed to happen? i am not subscribed and still have all the segments/leader boards working as they were yesterday or any day before for that matter.
    I'm guessing you can't access the ENTIRE leader board.

For example, if I was in 15th for a segment, I can see the top 10, and myself in 15th, but not the four guys between me and the top 10, as of yesterday.
    Death from Below.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

For example, if I was in 15th for a segment, I can see the top 10, and myself in 15th, but not the four guys between me and the top 10, as of yesterday.
    Maybe that's what it is, because I was using it yesterday and set a PR and saw I was 10th or whatever on the segment, seemed to be working, but I didn't try to see the people in between the first few and me, also set several KOMs a few days before.

IMO, Strava was one of many companies still riding the "we can make money from internet!" idea from back in the 2000s where people were thinking that they'd be raking in all kinds of money for stupid advertising on the internet. They actually do have something to offer, but the number of "internet" companies that are able to "get by" with just advertising and a few side-services that are paid for are few and far between, so IMO, it was going to end at some point.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Formerly of Kent
    This is what it's showing little ol' freeloader me. Random portion of my most recent ride.

Strava Removes Segment Leaderboards For Non Subscription Members-stravasnap.jpg

The top 10, then the people directly in front of and behind me. That's it.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I believe its not active yet, you can still browse full leaderboards. As of now, it's just a warning of what comes next.

They probably announced it first to see the reaction from its users.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

i see the top 10, then 2 people ahead of me and behind me, i can see the full leader board when i click on "view full leader board".
    i can also see all my previous efforts, leader boar of people i am following, weeks efforts etc. seems to be working like it always has.

this is for past activities, maybe the change is for any future activities i upload?

mtbr member
    this is not for everyone, but I deleted my Strava account last month. don't miss it. I still track my routes with the Garmin app on my watch, but that data is for me only. YMMV.

mtbr member
    This is what it's showing little ol' freeloader me. Random portion of my most recent ride.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StravaSnap.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	1334275

The top 10, then the people directly in front of and behind me. That's it.

That's what mine always looks like until I click "full leaderboard"
    I brake for stinkbugs

Formerly of Kent
    I so rarely look at leaderboards that I didn't even click on the full leaderboard.

Yeah, it's still showing everyone for me, on my computer.

I can't see more than that on my phone, though. Is that normal?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I think I'm of the mindset that I'd rather pay a little $ than have to see more "targeted" ads. I'm so sick and tired of social media sites throwing ads at me that they think I'll be interested in. Or maybe I'm just sick of ads in general.
    While I do think it will change the numbers of active users, I also think it will weed out (at least as far as Strava is concerned) those who really WANT the stuff they provide from those who are just on it because.

the half breed devil
    so long as it shows me how far i went and some sort of map of where i went (for free) i don't give a rat's ass. elevation gained and average/top speeds are nice, too.

other than that, i'm not paying those people for anything.

BTW, back in 2009-2010, i tried google mytracks. it was free at the time and i think it's free now.

it sucked.

mtbr member
    I so rarely look at leaderboards that I didn't even click on the full leaderboard.

Yeah, it's still showing everyone for me, on my computer.

I can't see more than that on my phone, though. Is that normal?

I get pretty much everything on my phone when I click on full leaderboard, it's slightly different info than what's on my PC though.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'd just like to know if they are selling my data in any way. I don't want to pay for the privilege of using my data to target ads on other platforms, or whatever else they are doing.

Will resist paying for time being.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pcro View Post
    I'd just like to know if they are selling my data in any way. I don't want to pay for the privilege of using my data to target ads on other platforms, or whatever else they are doing.

Will resist paying for time being.
    I'm pretty sure they already said this is a move that will get rid of all ads and they won't sell user data.

Renewed my paid subscription today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    IMO this is a very bad move and might hurt their business significantly.
    The major appeal of Strava is that many people use it and provide data for the app.
    So it's not like free users didn't have any value for Strava.

And out of all those free users probably a large percentage isn't that much serious about this app to bother paying for it. And less data to compare makes it also much less valuable to paid users. Being in top 10 out of 1000 users have much more meaning than being top10 out of let's say 50 users.

I obviously don't have detailed percentage data(and won't even ether bother to search for it), but I believe large portion of their data comes from free users. When those are gone, lots of potential new data is lost.
    Plus it becomes much more difficult to attract new customers when the free version is basically useless. And in the long run this is very bad.

mtbr member
    Hmmm. $5. I could get a hamburger or a month of Strava. The latter is probably better for me.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I wonder what would happen if the free users deleted all the segments they've created...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What Will be missed is all of the comrade that exists with people on Strava you will never see again. I have always met people in passing. ďOh your THE blah blah.Ē Etc. Itís fun to meet the mysterious person you have a quarantined battle with. People can still see the top 10, , and thatís whatís motivating many people anyway. Strava helps show me in 2016 when I started racing how fast fast could be.

At least the free people will still see my name and Iíll get the occasional ego stroke I now want notifications if I have been bumped off a top ten! I must be seen! Iím somebody!

Profit is a good thing. I love TDlovers idea of just adding ads to the free version of cycling gear/clothes, embro cream.

They have made a ton of improvements over the past few months on their mobile data. I know know what everyoneís workouts are at power wise. It makes it easier to support/coach/troubleshoot.

My wishlist:

Provide a pro shield for all pros.

They are still missing the very basic functionality of showing 15s 1, 5, 20 minute power like Zwift, even though Iím sure 2% of users have power data.

Why is average power different than what is reported in Garmin?! I know they donít pay for the rights to use normalized powers and use ďweighted averageĒ which is lower.

Elevation adjust on the mobile app.
    I think they should remove the fake power estimates all together.

FIX the ride sharing feature where you can add people to rides. It doesnít work 4/5 times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    I wonder what would happen if the free users deleted all the segments they've created...
    I wish there was a way to purge segments. The duplication is kinda lame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Good move Strava. People will always find something to b**** about. Theyíve been taught by the public education system they deserve everything for free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad View Post
    I wish there was a way to purge segments. The duplication is kinda lame.
    With their promise to make improvements for the paid users I really hope they make some sort of system to improve this. There are so many flat out stupid segments that aren't "dangerous" but have no reason to exist. Something like Apple's app store if it gets enough 1 star votes it gets removed.

A 5 star rating system for segments would be pretty cool in general.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Then someone else can just remake the segment.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    Then someone else can just remake the segment.....
    Oh of course. But judging from the spelling of them, many seem to have been made by groms. Who aren't going to pay for it, and are the older users going to sit down and create segments? Blatantly judgmental I know, but time will tell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoods View Post
    Good move Strava. People will always find something to b**** about. Theyíve been taught by the public education system they deserve everything for free.
    Well it's not really free is it. Taxpayers pay for it. And when they become taxpayers, they'll pay for it too.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    If you don't like a segment, hide it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    There are definitely good and bad segments. Hiding them doesn't fix the problem. Especially if you use the explore function and dozens of crap segments pop up instead of the one you're looking for.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoods View Post

Some people will even complain about public education.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    There are definitely good and bad segments. Hiding them doesn't fix the problem. Especially if you use the explore function and dozens of crap segments pop up instead of the one you're looking for.
    Yes, this a pain point for me too. I donít care about the 0.1 mile downhill segments.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That is a good point, my take is that the majority of the segments are created by free users.

Creating segments isn't as fast as it sounds, specially due to the bad interface for creating them, so most people don't bother. Creating great segments takes even longer.

I've created around 100 segments and I know it did take some time.

Up In Smoke
    ^Huh, it literally takes like two minutes to create a segment. Good or bad

mtbr member
    I find the main benefit of Strava is to be able to crop my activity when I forget to stop it before the drive home, damnit. That alone is worth $5/mo. GC recently added that but their implementation is relatively inelegant.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    From the sound of their recent announcement it seems like they'll be focusing their time on improving our experience (for those of us who are paying at least) rather than turning it into another cookie cutter social media platform. Seems like a good time to give them your input. https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...-Feature-Ideas

Look through some ideas and you can up vote or down vote other people's suggestions. I'm sure when something gets enough up votes they take a serious look at it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    ^Huh, it literally takes like two minutes to create a segment. Good or bad
    I do take longer though, specially when the trail doesn't exist in strava or google maps, then its hard to reconcile landmarks with locations, I don't throw any waypoints while riding so there is that.

With known and marked trails I can see it being faster, but in my experience those have plently of segments already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    From the sound of their recent announcement it seems like they'll be focusing their time on improving our experience (for those of us who are paying at least) rather than turning it into another cookie cutter social media platform.
    Will you still have so much fun using Strava if for example 80% riders will stop uploading their rides and number of people who you could compare against drop significantly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by markus_krk View Post
    Will you still have so much fun using Strava if for example 80% riders will stop uploading their rides and number of people who you could compare against drop significantly?
    I don't just use it for the segments but from my understanding the leaderboards will still be there and free user's data will post. Free user's just won't be able to see it. I'm also in top 10 on the downhills that I care about getting KOMs on anyway. No chance of me getting anything that requires wattage.

I mostly use Strava to track my weekly hours of exercise, check out what friends are doing and keeping track of the mileage on equipment components. The segments do put it a step above the other apps though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't just use it for the segments but from my understanding the leaderboards will still be there and free user's data will post. Free user's just won't be able to see it. I'm also in top 10 on the downhills that I care about getting KOMs on anyway. No chance of me getting anything that requires wattage.

I mostly use Strava to track my weekly hours of exercise, check out what friends are doing and keeping track of the mileage on equipment components. The segments do put it a step above the other apps though.
    IMO the main appeal are the segments. There are many other options for tracking available. But what makes the appeal of segments is big number of users. I'm also in top 10 in segments with 1000 plus riders, so I can say I'm fast, but if it was top 10 out of let's say 30 then I wouldn't be so sure. Being able to see how you compare against wide spectrum of people starting from pros to regular riders and ending with total beginners is what makes this feature interesting - and to keep it this way you need those people logging their data: those who are just starting riding and don't feel the need to have all the premium features yet, those who are not willing (or not able) to pay anything, and also those who already have(paid for) better options for tracking their efforts.

And what would be an advantage of using new free version of Strava without segments and your previous efforts history vs for example Endomondo? Not much really.

The problem with Strava is they haven't come up with enough meaningful paid features for advanced users who will be willing to pay for them, or other ways to monetize the data people are sharing with them.
    Cutting the main feature that keeps people using this app and could bring new users to the platform isn't a wise move.

But it really isn't that surprising as for my 7 years of less or more active usage of this app (free version) unfortunately the biggest difference I see is the size of smartphone screen I use it on.

Plus the timing is really unfortunate - lots of businesses were forced to close, people lost their jobs or have lower incomes and seeing leaderboards is not really top priority right now for many.

The wiser move would be to up the prices for those who are already subscribed, they would pay anyway as they find it essential.
    And Strava wouldn't be risking losing precious data(basis of their business model) all those free users are providing them.

Up In Smoke

Plus the timing is really unfortunate - lots of businesses were forced to close, people lost their jobs or have lower incomes and seeing leaderboards is not really top priority right now for many.
    The timing is a bit unfortunate but is it really a surprise? Look at a lot of the users and how active they've been recently. I see a lot of people that haven't done much riding in years but over the past few months are clocking daily rides. Imagine the huge increase in users(new and returning) over just a few months. Everyone's hurting, but strava has every right to make money too.

I haven't noticed any changes yet, maybe I'm just not interested in the premium features. Doesn't make sense for me to pay at the moment.

mtbr member
    Cropping isn't working in Strava for me for some reason. I thought it was just another function they took from the free subscription, but it isn't working even after getting the paid one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Now is the time to get grandfathered in at a good price.
    Are they capping price increases for current subscribers?

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by shakabra View Post
    Are they capping price increases for current subscribers?
    I can't say. A lot of subscription services seem to work that way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My GF looked up this AM since she is a current subscriber, said if renewal is before August 15th (think that's the date she said) then you can renew one time at current price. If you renew after that date then goes to $60/year. Her renewal date is August 8th so will see.

beater
    Same. I signed up for a paid login a couple years ago because Beacon offered the easiest way to provide live tracking for my GF.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    But what makes the appeal of segments is big number of users. I'm also in top 10 in segments with 1000 plus riders, so I can say I'm fast, but if it was top 10 out of let's say 30 then I wouldn't be so sure. Being able to see how you compare against wide spectrum of people starting from pros to regular riders and ending with total beginners is what makes this feature interesting
    I used to think this too, until I realized that on most segments, the pros haven't really gone for them. For the most part, they just collect them on their regular rides. At least, that's what I see in Boulder. All of my KOMs are precariously just sitting there, waiting for a semi-motivated pro to swing through. Lachlan Morton is starting to hit way more trails, so I think my days are numbered.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Key to a successful business is to focus on paying customers or revenue generating customers. I have never seen a successful business that focuses on non-paying (free) customers unless they are selling your data then it's not really free.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by careyj1 View Post
    Key to a successful business is to focus on paying customers or revenue generating customers. I have never seen a successful business that focuses on non-paying (free) customers unless they are selling your data then it's not really free.
    The key is probably to make money, which doesn't happen with "free customers", unless they are as you say, selling your ****, but I doubt that pays enough to make it worthwhile.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All fat, all the time.
    They give you some free stuff, wait to get hooked, then charge $$.
    Dang Strava dealers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rod
    mtbr member
    Removing my comment since I have nothing positive to say about this move by Strava.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by careyj1 View Post
    That is absolutely true.

However what made Strava popular and stand out among the competition of other tracking apps is data provided by tons of mostly(free) users.
    It's segments and competition with others is their Unique Selling Point - and it's only compelling because, they managed to collect huge set of data for comparisons, and this was possible because this service was provided for free and therefore able to attract users who wouldn't join if it required subscription.

They ran this model for 10 years and failed to make a profit from all those data and users and also being unable to provide worthy additional premium services for customers who wanted them.

Now they're cutting off their ability to collect huge data that are basis of their USP.
    Free users who aren't willing to upgrade really have no reason to stay with Strava, as current free version has no advantage over competition.
    Yeah it still allows you to track, but you totally loose competition factor that was so compelling and being able to only see top 10 is useless. And pure math makes most users(paid or not) far away from the top results and I don't think information that someone is slower 3 or 5 minutes on a longer climb from the top 10 have any value as it gives no perspective how that persons rates among others. And judging by reactions people are very pissed and not willing to upgrade - even if they stay to track, they might just turn their activities private(so no longer included in leader boards), because it's a logical step to do if you cannot use it yourself.

So bottom line is those not willing to upgrade, will stop provide data that are basis of Strava success. And that's not a good sign.

Something goes here...
    I use Strava just to track my activities and mileage. I really don't care about any other features. That said, I'm not opposed to what they are doing and if I see value in it, I have no problem paying $5 a month for it. That's pretty cheap if you are using it for tracking, health purposes, etc. I never understood the whole 'selling user data is how we make money' thing anyway. Sure, you can make money doing that but can it be enough to sustain a company? I'm in IT so I don't have the brains to begin to understand that.

My phone is through work and I know I can't ask them to let me charge that amount per month or year even if I paid them back. So if I can pay through my account and NOT my phone, then that's another positive to move towards it. I've never looked into it.

I have been thinking of getting another Garmin watch lately too so perhaps this is the kick in the pants to just go that route. Either way, I wish Strava luck and hope they continue to succeed. Anything that keeps people active is a positive in my book.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder

I find myself enjoying gravel more and more lately...

mtbr member
    I saw the changes take effect yesterday and honestly it isnít a big enough change for me to feel the need to upgrade.

They donít just run the risk of people leaving the platform, but they are still in hot water if people feel the same as me and just donít upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is the free version of Strava really losing out to the free versions of other apps? I tried some other tracking apps a few years ago and Strava still won out even if it weren't for the segments.

It seems like they intend to push hard to release new features and integrate more things that we've been requesting for paid users. Just because the paid version is lacking in some areas for training doesn't mean it'll still be behind a few months from now. Time will tell on that if they pull it off.

Besides that it's only five bucks a month!!!!!! I would have had no problem affording that back when the most expensive bike I could buy was a $400 GT hardtail.

I unsubscribed last year because I didn't like the direction they were taking the app. I am resubscribed now because the move toward ad free, not selling our data and pushing to add the features we want is all moving the app in the right direction. I have no problem supporting that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is the free version of Strava really losing out to the free versions of other apps?
    Probably not, but it definitely lost the undisputed title of the best free cycling app, that was advised as the one to have for people entering the sport. Now it's just one among many in the free category.

I only switched to Strava seven years ago because of segments, and people I know who don't care about segments mostly use other apps.
    Basically Strava is all about KOMs, competition is what makes people exited about it.

It seems like they intend to push hard to release new features and integrate more things that we've been requesting for paid users. Just because the paid version is lacking in some areas for training doesn't mean it'll still be behind a few months from now. Time will tell on that if they pull it off.
    For paid users that use advanced analytical features it doesn't change anything in this regard, however there are many voices that others do it better.
    Still, even paid users may suffer as free users depart, as being for example 8th fastest out of 20 isn't really much fun or telling anything. And then they might not want to use Strava anymore, as lot of them already use other tracking methods.

Besides that it's only five bucks a month!!!!!! I would have had no problem affording that back when the most expensive bike I could buy was a $400 GT hardtail.
    For every working person in the US no big deal, still people who only want it for segments(and there are many of them) may find it unreasonable.

Then for a teenager from a low-income family it might be too steep.

Also don't forget that pricing varies among the regions, and also in many countries purchasing power is much weaker than in the States and it relatively cost them much more.

Plus there is timing and go f*** yourself attitude of this whole move.

Normally companies try to attract new customers(that's the hardest part) and then simply do everything to keep them long term, milking them all along as their needs/budget progress.
    That's why you have small cars from Merc and BMW, cheap Iphone SE and so on.

Loosing the advantage to attract new customers is plain stupid long term, even if they will see increased revenues in the next few months as some will upgrade and those already paying will keep doing so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would tend to agree in that e-Bikes (mopeds) have polluted the data pool so badly that the leaderboards don't mean much. I am seeing more and more mopeds on the trails all the time, and have seen them post on Strava as a bike ride. Not much we can do as bike riders. e-bikes are here to stay.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    There's also the bit where Strava want to charge Stages "per device" to allow them to do live segments.

I'm slowly creating segments on Garmin Connect, but it isn't the same as the 4 people I compare my times to are on Strava.

mtbr member
    That sux, I'll use it less now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is the free version of Strava really losing out to the free versions of other apps? I tried some other tracking apps a few years ago and Strava still won out even if it weren't for the segments.
    I admit I was never running Strava on phone. I have my Polar syncing data to Strava, so I never had need to run Strava (or any other app) on phone. But the way I'm doing this, and I would assume majority people who are at least sort of serious into sport, do it same way (regardless if they device of choice is Polar, Garmin, Suunto or any other HRM/powermeter), you have your own device's app. I can't say for Garmin, but Polar Flow is light years ahead of Strava for log and analyzing of data.
    So for me Strava was really just about segments. Regardless if comparing against my previous efforts or comparing against some of top Protour riders (or nowadays more and more overweight lazy people on mopeds). For everything else, Polar Flow was my choice. With recent change, Strava become completely useless thing. I can't see my old results on segments, I can't really do much comparing even to top 10 riders on segment, so yesterday, after my mtb ride, I disconnected my Polar from Strava and thing is history for me.
    Now you can argue that few $/month is no big deal. True. I probably spend more for coffee each day, but it just feels stupid to pay for something that has very little value. Not to mention that there's one app that has one cool thing, other app that has some other cool thing, 15th app that has yet another cool thing, and paying, even $5/month for each, might bring you to $100+/month, while in reality most of your log and analyzing would still be done in your HRM's own app (which normally comes free with HRM).
    And for everyone telling free users don't bring anything but work. Sure, but we also brought whole bunch of data to them. And without free users, those segments would be very very lonely, like someone already wrote. Having 5 (paying) people in segment, wouldn't be really so attractive as having 5000 of them. And with such low count, there would be very very low count of paying users too.
    But honestly, I'm not gonna bitch or cry about their decision. It's their decision to change rules the way they did, and I respect that. On the other hand it's my decision if I feel their product is worth enough to me to pay for it or not. In my case I think it's not, so I stop using it. No big deal.
    Primoz

psycho cyclo addict
    I'm not in favor of getting bled out on monthly subscriptions in general and given Strava's lame app and web site, there is zero chance I'll pony up for it.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    They know their audience are a bunch of addicts and they'll be getting my money for sure. I'd be a strung out junkie without it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I admit I was never running Strava on phone. I have my Polar syncing data to Strava, so I never had need to run Strava (or any other app) on phone. But the way I'm doing this, and I would assume majority people who are at least sort of serious into sport, do it same way (regardless if they device of choice is Polar, Garmin, Suunto or any other HRM/powermeter), you have your own device's app. I can't say for Garmin, but Polar Flow is light years ahead of Strava for log and analyzing of data.
    So for me Strava was really just about segments. Regardless if comparing against my previous efforts or comparing against some of top Protour riders (or nowadays more and more overweight lazy people on mopeds). For everything else, Polar Flow was my choice. With recent change, Strava become completely useless thing. I can't see my old results on segments, I can't really do much comparing even to top 10 riders on segment, so yesterday, after my mtb ride, I disconnected my Polar from Strava and thing is history for me.
    Now you can argue that few $/month is no big deal. True. I probably spend more for coffee each day, but it just feels stupid to pay for something that has very little value. Not to mention that there's one app that has one cool thing, other app that has some other cool thing, 15th app that has yet another cool thing, and paying, even $5/month for each, might bring you to $100+/month, while in reality most of your log and analyzing would still be done in your HRM's own app (which normally comes free with HRM).
    And for everyone telling free users don't bring anything but work. Sure, but we also brought whole bunch of data to them. And without free users, those segments would be very very lonely, like someone already wrote. Having 5 (paying) people in segment, wouldn't be really so attractive as having 5000 of them. And with such low count, there would be very very low count of paying users too.
    But honestly, I'm not gonna bitch or cry about their decision. It's their decision to change rules the way they did, and I respect that. On the other hand it's my decision if I feel their product is worth enough to me to pay for it or not. In my case I think it's not, so I stop using it. No big deal.
    I use a Garmin watch/HRM and let it upload to Strava.

If I didn't see any value in an app than I won't be paying for it either. For me the segments are nice but Strava is the right mix of social media and fitness app. It has the social media part of keeping track of friends but without the policial BS or what someone ate for lunch. The rest of it is for tracking my own stats.

the half breed devil
    for those who don't want to use strava, what are the *free* alternatives?

i did a little checking but the articles didn't make it clear whether they were free or not.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post

i did a little checking but the articles didn't make it clear whether they were free or not.
    Ridewithgps web site and app are decent...

As for just an app, I've used Cyclemeter (also free) for years. It can export to Strava (free account) directly and you can e-mail gpx files to other sites.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I agree, very disappointing. I posted a thread in the Strava Community Forum, under "Completed and Released" as follows. maybe they will change their mind.

Now charging for Overall Segment Leader boards?

Strava is no longer providing overall segment leader board with their free version.

This is a fun feature and should remain free because it is more interesting as more people use Strava.

With Strava charging for this feature, many users will say forget it and stop using the app (or never start using the app) and the data will not reflect as many users, making access to this data much less interesting.

I also do not think it is right to suddenly charge for information that was always provided for free as part of the app.

I will have a difficult time recommending Strava with this change.

I really hope STRAVA changes their mind on this one.

Funny thing though - I do not see the post, maybe they blocked it or maybe it will just take time to apear

Up In Smoke
    Clearly Strava is more interested in your money than your data. Its pretty funny to hear all the freeloaders threaten to leave like they have any sort of leverage over strava. Buh-bye

mtbr member
    Clearly Strava is more interested in your money than your data. Its pretty funny to hear all the freeloaders threaten to leave like they have any sort of leverage over strava. Buh-bye
    But is it though? If the free users are uploading their data and creating segments then that will disappear. I had a look today at one of my local climbing segments. I can no longer see my girlfriend's times.
    That was what made strava do popular, bragging rights. I'd much rather know that I was the hundredth fastest out of five thousand than first of fifty.
    My data goes through Garmin to Strava so there's no incentive to send that on. Garmin does all the analysis and data logging. Strava just made it interesting, I like looking up a segment when a friend rides a trail I know.

Up In Smoke
    But is it though?
    I don't really see your point here. Are there really that many disgruntled riders that will take the time to delete the segments they created? Maybe they should, that way paying members can create segments.

The talent pool thing seems a bit arbitrary. Almost like being a Cat 1 racer and comparing your race time against cat 2 and 3 racers.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post

Garmin Connect.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Garmin Connect.
    Isn't there a catch to that...like buying a Garmin device?

mtbr member
    I don't really see your point here. Are there really that many disgruntled riders that will take the time to delete the segments they created? .
    Sorry went on a mini rant. I don't think anyone will delete segments, but as I mentioned earlier I suspect a lot of the segments are created by, erm younger people. Those 400m DH Segments etc. Obviously all the old data will remain, but any new trails will have significantly less Strava traffic.

Who knows, I'm happy to pay again, but fundamentally Strava's main appeal was comparing your time to your mates. Especially when you aren't at the pointy end of the field.

mtbr member
    I support Strava's efforts to find a way to get more revenue from their platform that doesn't involve users getting bombed with ads or some of the other sketchy stuff that happens on other social media sites. It doesn't affect me me, either. I value the tools they provide and connections I've made there, and have felt obligated to pay something for the service.

But I totally get they're targeting free riders with this move. I know a few guys that don't pay but post rides daily and are always KOM hunting. I'll be curious to see if they cough up some cash to keep taking the segments.

It's a fun little experiment Strava is doing but I suspect it will blow up in their faces.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    There's also the bit where Strava want to charge Stages "per device" to allow them to do live segments.

I'm slowly creating segments on Garmin Connect, but it isn't the same as the 4 people I compare my times to are on Strava.
    I am creating segments on Garmin Connect as well. I'm also learning to use other analytical software.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Isn't there a catch to that...like buying a Garmin device?
    I don't think you need one to sign up, but I may be wrong. I already owned a Garmin 520. RidewithGPS is very good. The mapping functionality is light years ahead of any other app I've used. I've recently started uploading my rides to it. I really like Garmin Connect and as Nordie mentioned earlier it has segments, but I never had incentive to explore that capability.

Rod
    mtbr member
    If the freeloaders leave then there will be crickets in a social media app. I love interacting and supporting nobody. Speaking of that, I'll go login to Myspace.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    If the freeloaders leave then there will be crickets in a social media app. I love interacting and supporting nobody. Speaking of that, I'll go login to Myspace.
    Suppose so. Looking at some of the rides today it seems like quite a few people are still logging rides but roughly only a quarter of the riders are subscribers. Weíll see how it unfolds

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have never paid for Strava and never will. I don't object to the company trying to make a profit, and at times in the past I have considered the idea of paying for premium to support the company, because I feel I have gotten value from it as a user since 2012. However, with rare exceptions, I won't pay for subscriptions. It's a broken model for users--you have to keep paying or you lose everything you've ever invested. I pay for term life insurance, and I pay for Spotify on subscription---but these are for my family, and I resist the model otherwise. If Strava charged $50 for the app as a one time purchase, or something similar, maybe I'd buy it. Fortunately, the changes to Strava really don't affect me that much. I no longer care how fast I go because I was never that fast, and I'm getting slower by the day. I care to see what friends are doing, I look at segments as a way to learn about new places to ride, and I like to see the photos that people post and occasionally trade comments. These are all still part of the free version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's not just the full segment leaderboards that are gone, it's also the ability to view the leaderboard from the current year, month, week, day - I use that a lot to try to find rides recent with comments about trail conditions as trails melt in the spring and after rain. I was going to hold off on subscribing, but this is a tool that I use a lot to decide where to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg View Post
    It's not just the full segment leaderboards that are gone, it's also the ability to view the leaderboard from the current year, month, week, day - I use that a lot to try to find rides recent with comments about trail conditions as trails melt in the spring and after rain. I was going to hold off on subscribing, but this is a tool that I use a lot to decide where to ride.
    Consider using Trailforks for that. In my area at least, there are active users that will give comments about trail conditions... muddy, tree down etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    Consider using Trailforks for that. In my area at least, there are active users that will give comments about trail conditions... muddy, tree down etc.
    Trailforks has a lot less activity - and most people don't post reports and it seems most strava users around here don't have their strava activities uploading to TF. I do use trailforks to report on conditions, and I'm a traiforks administrator for the area and really encourage others to do the same. Realistically though, there are way more frequent updates on conditions just by looking at people's strava rides.

mtbr member
    I haven't paid for Strava in the past, but will now. I only ride from about April through October, so going monthly won't cost much. I doubt I'll use the ski function, so I'll subscribe for 7 or 8 months a year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Itís so funny to see cyclists impassioned about having to pay $5/month for something that was formally free. This is the same crowd that throws hundreds and thousands of dollars at constantly improving their bike setups.

Now after having the benefit of Strava for free for years they are fantasizing about Strava popularity declining since they are charging money for their service now. Petty and immature.

mtbr member
    I decided to subscribe before this change. I like some of the other features that came with being a subscriber. I am never a contender for a KOM unless it is some obscure segment no one else knows about. But it is interesting to track my improvements vs. similar age groups and weight. If it also means they are a viable business and more sensitive with whom they share data, even better. You can't sustain something like that for nothing.

Keeping it in perspective, I spend more on gas getting to a trail head one time than I do for the monthly subscription. I don't even want to think about what I spend on parts. As mountain biking expenses go, this is still on the bottom of my annual spend list. It's a small thing that is fun to add to the experience. I don't take it anymore serious than that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What really bothers me is that Strava also included my own personal efforts in the premium package. I can understand putting the social aspects behind a paywall, but my own efforts on those segments are now hidden as well. I'm not interested in the social aspect, any other programs where I can track my own progress on segments? (besides just exporting my own data and doing it myself)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    What really bothers me is that Strava also included my own personal efforts in the premium package. I can understand putting the social aspects behind a paywall, but my own efforts on those segments are now hidden as well. I'm not interested in the social aspect, any other programs where I can track my own progress on segments? (besides just exporting my own data and doing it myself)
    You can use Garmin segments with the purchase of a $500ish GPS watch/computer.

Technology and software programing is very expensive. Apparently maintaining the segments is to expensive to pay for with ads and selling our data. Probably the reason why no other free app has tried implementing segments like Strava has.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    They have monetized the most valuable part of their platform. Outside of segments and social networking, there is nothing that sets them apart from 10 other apps.

Kudos to them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Double post

Formerly of Kent
    I'd subscribe again if I could see who flags my rides.

I get it, people don't like having their KOMs taken. But I should be able to publicly shame them for being so pathetic about it. Get out there, work at it, and take it back if it means that much to you.

As it is, I just edit the ride description, and invite the person to follow me and if they'd like to come for a ride with me instead.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'd subscribe again if I could see who flags my rides.

I get it, people don't like having their KOMs taken. But I should be able to publicly shame them for being so pathetic about it. Get out there, work at it, and take it back if it means that much to you.

As it is, I just edit the ride description, and invite the person to follow me and if they'd like to come for a ride with me instead.
    On that note, they really need the ability to flag rides via the mobile app.

There are too many segments ruined by cyclists in Cars.

mtbr member
    Looks like not as much has changed with free Strava as first thought:

https://youtu.be/RlNf2u-FiXE
    ďIf youíre not first youíre last"- Ricky Bobby

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-XC View Post
    Looks like not as much has changed with free Strava as first thought:

https://youtu.be/RlNf2u-FiXE
    But the big one is still there.
    Leaderboards.
    On free, you can compare yourself to the top 10, but not to people you follow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    On that note, they really need the ability to flag rides via the mobile app.

There are too many segments ruined by cyclists in Cars.
    Yeah, that'd be great. It's also awful for my fiancťe who also runs. She loses running CRs to people on bikes almost daily. Hopefully Strava will find a way to create a better leaderboard ecosystem now that it has a paywall. I still really want a filter for HR+Power. I still stand by my conviction that KOMs should have at least one of those two data fields now that there are so many ways to cheat it (such as ebikes).

Formerly of Kent

A forum member commented on the small portion of my ride I recorded today.

Ended up riding with another, dr wuss, who mostly only posts in the Specialized forum.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A forum member commented on the small portion of my ride I recorded today.

Ended up riding with another, dr wuss, who mostly only posts in the Specialized forum.

Well, now you know who was flagging (stealing) your KOM's.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    Well, now you know who was flagging (stealing) your KOM's.
    It is out there now!

I have been secretly flagging all forum members rides for years. One forum member took a KOM from me years ago and since then I flag any KOM by a forum member.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Every time I see people talking about flagged rides and evokes on strava I think of this: https://babylonbee.com/news/motorcyc...cycling-record

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeranzin View Post
    Yeah, that'd be great. It's also awful for my fiancťe who also runs. She loses running CRs to people on bikes almost daily. Hopefully Strava will find a way to create a better leaderboard ecosystem now that it has a paywall. I still really want a filter for HR+Power. I still stand by my conviction that KOMs should have at least one of those two data fields now that there are so many ways to cheat it (such as ebikes).
    Yes, the KOMs and Top 10s will continue to get blown apart by ebikes (glorified electric motorcycles).

In my area we are seeing more and more mountain bike ebikes. People riding their ebikes are uploading their rides to Strava and not identifying them as ebike rides.

Climb segments that average between 8 - 10mph are easily crushable on an ebike. That is where we are seeing the most KOMs get ruined by ebikes.

As technology advances ebikes will be faster, more stealthy, lower cost, and more popular.

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    If you are $1000 invested in a Garmin watch and inReach mini, have Garmin training software, and an inReach sub to pay each month, you have virtually all the subscription value through Garmin that Strava is offering... except segment comparisons to friends.

Leader boards alone aren't worth $60 a year.
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I don't care too much about losing the segment info, since I track store my training data separately and mostly use Strava to see what other people I know are up to. However, just discovered today that being able to download routes as a .gpx is now a premium-only feature. That's significant to me, since I really enjoy being able to steal neat routes from other peoples' feeds. Not sure if that's enough to make it worth the subscription cost to me, but it's definitely another part of Strava's "value proposition" that has shifted to the Premium-only side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by SummitAP View Post

Leader boards alone aren't worth $60 a year.
    Really? Why do we spend 60 to do one race? To push ourselves snd compete?

Hmm...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Really? Why do we spend 60 to do one race? To push ourselves snd compete?

Hmm...
    You get a jersey though, goodies, beer, a chance to show off in real life, medals, injuries, more beer, meet with friends and some yummy steak at the end.

That is how everyone races go, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Every time I see people talking about flagged rides and evokes on strava I think of this: https://babylonbee.com/news/motorcyc...cycling-record
    This has to be the best article ever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    You get a jersey though, goodies, beer, a chance to show off in real life, medals, injuries, more beer, meet with friends and some yummy steak at the end.

That is how everyone races go, right?
    My wife gets a championship jersey, I get a ribbon or a medal that will open my beers. A random craft beer. Usually no food.

The alternative, I eat pizza and drink the beer I really want with friends and get group messages with them smacktalking screenshotting a segment that one of them took from another/us/me. Hilarity ensues sometimes flagging. I get 60 dollars worth of value