mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Strategy/Training for run ups

I hate getting off the bike but some races include sections that simply can't be ridden by anybody. These are usually steep short climbs that promoters seem to love to throw in to prove to the racers that they (the promoters) are the REAL Gods.

I'm soliciting suggestions for strategy and technique used when off the bike. Getting off the bike kills my rhythm and flow. I tend to stumble, spike my heart rate and generally degrade my performance when I'm off the bike. What do you all do to move effectively and quickly when you must get off the bike to clear a section of the course? Do you do anything to train for those occassions?

There can be only one...
    Jan 2004
    HIKING!
    Hiking as fast as possible. Period.
    My hiking came in real handy in my last race because there were switchbacks after switchbacks that were simply unridable and there were a train of people hiking those sections. I actually made up a little bit of time passing the people on the hiking sections. I never knew it would actually play into my mtn biking racing but it sure did in that race. I live in Roanoke, VA so hiking spots are plentiful, dont know where u are.
    Jogging or running could also help if you don't do that all. Run stairs? I dunno! Think!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD
    I hate getting off the bike but some races include sections that simply can't be ridden by anybody. These are usually steep short climbs that promoters seem to love to throw in to prove to the racers that they (the promoters) are the REAL Gods.

I'm soliciting suggestions for strategy and technique used when off the bike. Getting off the bike kills my rhythm and flow. I tend to stumble, spike my heart rate and generally degrade my performance when I'm off the bike. What do you all do to move effectively and quickly when you must get off the bike to clear a section of the course? Do you do anything to train for those occassions?

mtbr member

you have a question for every scenerio don't you?

hiking during a course blows and I have really come to the point that I dislike race courses that include these "hike a bike" sections. Don't mind the short run ups, but these hike a 100 yard+ hills really sukc! These are MTB races, the courses should be made ride able.

Anyway to your point......I generally make myself aware that I need to know when I am going to dismount and when I am going to ride. If the hill is ride able I am riding it, if its not or too tough to make it worth riding I'm hiking. I pick my point or area of dismount roll into my dismount and roll into a steady hike (Pay attention at a cross race and see how they dismount to jump barriers, this is the exact same thing). Pace will always depend on the length and toughness of the climb. Always finish the top of the climb with a run and then mount. It's all about being fluid...coasting into the dismount and running into the mount. Where you get out of whack with your rhythm is when your are doing a steep climb that you end up not being able to make and have to fall off your bike to dismount. Not much you can do here other that to get up, whip yourself off, cuss a lot and start hiking. Just keep the fastest STEADY pace you can muster up.

KMan
    Great job at Michaux on Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD

The Riddler

here ya go...

BT: Off-road. Warm-up well. On a STEEP hill run 4-5 x 90 seconds carrying the bike on your shoulder. Perceived exertion is 8-9 on a 10-point scale. Recover by riding easily for 3-5 minutes between each carry. Cool down.