Stages Left only PM vs. 4iiii Left only PM- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Stages Left only PM vs. 4iiii Left only PM

I'll probably end up buying 3 , not all at once .Any input on either is appreciated . 4 years ago i had a stages left only and it was fine . They seem to be same price from Power Meter City . Thanks .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My quibble with Stages is the random power spikes. Every time I ask them if it is fixed, they say they’re working on it ... but 3 seasons in, none of the updates have fixed the issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Did you see that SRM is coming out with an SPD based power meter for $999? I'm holding off on buying a PM for my new bike until this is released...supposedly in December.

SRM PowerMeter SRM X-Power

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    Did you see that SRM is coming out with an SPD based power meter for $999? I'm holding off on buying a PM for my new bike until this is released...supposedly in December.

SRM PowerMeter SRM X-Power
    Yes i did ,Thanks . My experience tells me to wait a year though , the first units may have issues , and rock strikes happen all the time to me .

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    My quibble with Stages is the random power spikes. Every time I ask them if it is fixed, they say they’re working on it ... but 3 seasons in, none of the updates have fixed the issue.
    I have a Stages v1 (2015) and v2 (2017) and they both do this. Super annoying. It also effects ride TSS and estimated FTP numbers if you have enough of them. I won't buy any more of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperSprite View Post
    ...It also effects ride TSS and estimated FTP numbers if you have enough of them...
    Yeah, for sure that’s irritating. I end up cleaning up the spikes in GC or WKO. I gave another MTB with the Cinch PM and I’ve not experienced any spikes with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperSprite View Post
    I have a Stages v1 (2015) and v2 (2017) and they both do this. Super annoying. It also effects ride TSS and estimated FTP numbers if you have enough of them. I won't buy any more of them.
    Same, I have an xt for mtb and I previously had an xtr for the same bike.

Initially, I tested the xtr against a power tap hub in road and it tracked quite close, around 3-7 watts different. However, in mtb its a mess. The problem seems to be that the power spikes make the pm go bananas and it doesn't read accurately until it can calibrate itself again, if you keep hitting obstacles it just doesn't read right and then it spits random data. I thought maybe my gen 2 xtr was defective so I tried my current gen 1 xt, but same thing.

Quite an awful power meter. I haven't tried 4iiii, but I don't think they can do worse than stages.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The most reliable power meter I have ever used is a Rotor. They just work day in and day out. Not the lightest option but they work.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Always pushing harder!!!
    Interestingly, I just sold my Stages with the old bike and I'm looking for a PM for my new bike...I'll probably end up with Quarq. Any comments on them?

mtbr member
    I've been using a Zwatt Yding (Denmark) crank based PM for a few months now and it has been working fine. It's left only, 30mm spindle, and is integral to a carbon crank. My 170mm crank weighs 487gm.

https://teamzwatt.com/training/insid...b-power-meter/
    Do the math.