should i see a doctor???- Mtbr.com
    mtbnj.com

should i see a doctor???

Went for a ride on monday afternoon and had myself a pretty good wipeout, i went over the bars so fast i didnt have time to put my hands out and bounced hard on my chest. I had the wind knocked out of me and i was a little shook up, but after catching my breath and making sure all my teeth were still there, i hopped back on and went about my business. The next morning i woke up to a sore chest and abdomen, but no bruising. My ribs didnt hurt if i was still but if i moved in certain motions and touched them, they hurt.
    Now a few days later, the pain is subsiding a little, but i have a weird feeling in my chest, it kind of feels like butterflies, you know, when you are nervous about something. I guess the best way to describe it is like a fluttering, almost like the feeling you get before throwing up.My wife says to wait to see if it passes, but its bothering me a bit.
    My question is, what kind of trauma can one's chest be subject to after a hard fall like this, and has anyone ever had bruised/cracked/broken ribs? Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks for any help.

walter

Jan 2004
    Sounds like the ribs to me.

I fell on the end of my handlebar in the parking lot before a ride a couple years ago... put it right in my chest, just right of center (there's a pic on the old old board from Spring Fling 2, but I can't find it).

Now, I had a huge bruise right where the handlebar impacted, but I had pain throughout my chest, like you are describing. I was away from home at the time, so I decided unless it became excruciating, I would wait until I got home to see a Dr., but by the time I got home it had improved enough that I didn't feel it was necessary.

FYI, all they'll do for ribs is tape em, and maybe not even that. But, it might be a good idea to get an x-ray just to be sure. If I had been at home, I would've.

Also, it can take a very long time to be pain-free from this kind of injury... I still had random achiness 6 months after, like when I slept funny or something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by walter
    Now a few days later, the pain is subsiding a little, but i have a weird feeling in my chest, it kind of feels like butterflies, you know, when you are nervous about something. I guess the best way to describe it is like a fluttering, almost like the feeling you get before throwing up.My wife says to wait to see if it passes, but its bothering me a bit.
    My question is, what kind of trauma can one's chest be subject to after a hard fall like this, and has anyone ever had bruised/cracked/broken ribs? Thanks for reading my long post, and thanks for any help.
    There is a lot of soft stuff in there that can be injured - But I guess if you haven't bled to death you may recover There is not a lot to be done with rib injuries - just rest etc. I seperated ribs at the sternum once - made a weird crackling noise when I tried to breathe -took a looong time to get better

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There's an outside shot for an arrythmia. Check your pulse rate when you are feeling the butterflies and see if it's normal in rate and in rhythm.
    dr bob

outdoor miner

not a doctor

but they are never much use in cases like these...ultimately you have much more perception of your own body than anyone else, so try to go with what your body tells you.

I hate those injuries, the ones that don't manifest in an obvious way.
    I'm guessing that as you haven't died yet, it's probably nothing to worry about...

Anyway, rib injury data:
    I landed on my seat one time, on the RHS of the ribcage, fair and square. Fully winded, tears in eyes. Eventually the heart started beating again and I staggered to the trailhead, mercifully close by.

The pain just got worse and worse over a couple of days. I talked to a friend who plays serious contact sports, and he confirmed that is was a tear of the rib cartilage. It was front and back, even though the impact only hit the front (ribs are well designed to spread the load of an impact). So maybe you have tweaked some of the cartilages?

Took bloody ages to go away, maybe three months, longer to heal than a break.

As has been said, nothing to do for it, except time.

After a few weeks, it only really hurt when I laughed.

Murray

mtbr member
    Man. you've got some sympathy from me. Last spring I took a nasty endo and landed hard on my chest. KO'd my HR transmitter and took a chip out of my sternum, as well as a cracked rib and several other small, minor cracked bones. I did go to the ER, but then again I also tore the heck out of my elbow and had to go on anti-biotics for a staph infection that came out of it, and then clean up the blood that dripped on the leather upholstery of my car between the trail and the hospital.

In your case, if it makes you feel better (especially if you have med coverage), go ahead and get checked out if it's still bothering you. If you know any nurses or even docs personally you could always ask their opinion on the matter and see if they'll give you the straight scoop rather than the straight "better come in to be seen" party line.

Keep the rubber on the dirt...
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by walter

walter
    Thoracic trauma can be very serious (and can also result in nothing). From the sounds of it you definitely didn't break anything, broken ribs are painful as hell (I've only had one) and you'd know all about it- Just taking a sharp breath hurts in ways that are hard to describe. If you had had a really serious trauma you would have had more ******d signs (flail chest, difficulty breathing, etc).
    Any time you have blunt thoracic trauma the real worries aren't so much ribs - as someone stated earlier, there isn't much that can be done for ribs, and nothing beyond taping would be done if there wasn't concern for bone shards to do soft-tissue/resp. system damage. The real worries are subsequent cardiac & spinal trauma. You'd have found out about a ruptured aorta or something of that nature REALLY f'n fast. It also isn't that likely that you would just develop atrial fibrillations (a very common arrhythmia) from impact - you'd need the ribs to compress your heart and you would probably have noticed other effects as that's pretty serious. As for spinal stuff, the worry there is that the ribs are actually attached to your thoracic vertebrae - once again you probably would have found out sooner rather than later.

If you're a man who plays odds, the signs point pretty decisively to you having nothing but some contusions & strained intercostal muscles. That "fluttering" that you feel, however, should be taken seriously. If it is an arrhythmia, that could be sign of something significant. Check your pulse when it happens, if you feel the fluttering and your pulse doesn't feel strong, equal and regular, by all means get it checked out.

Just a WEMT/hobbyist - NOT a doctor. Sorry in advance if you die. (kidding!)

Heavy Metal
    Feb 2004
    I hate paying money I don't have to, but usually when I ask the question, "Should I see a doctor?" the answer is yes. If there is nothing wrong, my peace of mind is usually worth the copay, and if there is a problem it's amost always best to find it early.

tachyon