Race Warm-up- Mtbr.com

Thread: Race Warm-up

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Race Warm-up

Any suggestions on how to warm up before a race?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    it's really a personal preference. Some can warm up for 10 mins, some warm up for much more.

I personally take about 45 mins to warm up once I get to a race and get situated. I won't go the whole 45, but break it up in 10-15 min chunks. Slow pedal to get the 'travel' out of my legs, then work the cadence up and down along with the gears, then work some stand up/interval speed and such. All with a break in between to stretch, get fluids, maybe eat a lil something.

I know, crazy right?!?! It's given me some great results though in being prepared right out of the gate and never bonking.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The longer your race the less I think it matters. When I was cat2 I'd be doing openers and looking at my HRM. Now, depending on the length of the course, I'll do an easy lap or ride easy for 20 to 30 minutes. A pro I coach only spins around for about 10 minutes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When I was younger and tougher, I did not warm up much at all, sometimes pretty much none. Lately I find I need more time including some steady riding and harder efforts, especially in the cold weather or I have breathing problems. It's especially bad for cyclocross, for this year I got one of those rim drive trainers so I can do a more focused warmup that gets my breathing ramped up better. 40 mins on the bike is not unreasonable for a short race with a hard start.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    if you google trainer warmups for time trials you will see a lot of stuff, here's a typical appraoch:

Warm Up for Time Trials and Criteriums - Cycling Training and Health - Roadcycling.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks all. What about eating during or after warm up to maintain energy stores?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I do stretching exercises for about 1/2 hour, along with 30 (just 30—no more) pushups. And, if the opportunity shall present itself, I will pre-ride the course at a moderate-yet-brisk pace.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rando6432 View Post
    Thanks all. What about eating during or after warm up to maintain energy stores?
    I eat 1/2 pound (uncooked weight) of pasta the night before with lots of gooey greasy cheesy bacony sausagey goodness on it, and for breakfast I eat a huge-ass bowl of oatmeal. My next race is this coming Sunday, I hope my “recipe for a podium finish” works this time as well.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    I had my first race in 20 years last Saturday. I had no idea what to do warm up wise or pace wise once it started. I just had to make educated guesses.

For warm up, I just figured I'd need 30-45 minutes of easy to moderate effort. I had a lot of time before the start, so I easy pedaled for 5-7 minutes and then picked it up (all on flat ground). I threw in a couple easy shorter climbs to warm my legs with a little load for the starting sprint. I did not want to burn good muscle energy though so I never took it to burn level. I did a few gentle calf, quad, hammy and glute stretches at the end. The total ended up being 45 minutes of pedaling--I even soft pedaled the descents--a distance of 5.5 miles. I tried to keep moving until we had to line up so I wouldn't cool down and get stiff.

I must have done the right amount as I felt great except for the initial race jitters and ended up getting 3rd place. The course was 9.5 miles with 1300 or so ft of climbing. Hope this helps.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Depends how long the race is. I never warm up for endurance racing but I need a solid 30 mins before a cross race.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Bah! Awful race warmup today… in fact, not really a warmup at all. Started drinking 11%ABV barleywine at 2:30PM the day before and stopped at around 9:00PM, only to fall asleep on the couch watching a movie with my wife… only to wake up at 2:30AM wondering what the hell happened. Couldn’t get back to a real physical sleeping state although having experienced four dreams. “Woke up” at 5:30AM when my alarm went off. To make a longer than necessary story semi-short, I somehow managed 2nd place despite the bad barleyine binge and crappy sleep. Oh, and the average temperature during the 21 mile race was 99°F, high having been 104°F. Please, no one repeat what I did. I paid the price 2 miles into the race. Thought I was gonna freakin die out there today.

Members who have read this thread: 0