Poll: Any vegetarians here?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    59

    New question here. Poll: Any vegetarians here?

    Just wondering how many veggies frequent this board. Answer these questions pleez...

    1. Vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian (still eat dairy)

    2. Racer or non-racer? (If racer, what level or category)

    3. Years as a veggie/vegan

    4. Reason's for becoming a veggie/vegan

    5. (Optional) Weight, height, age (just curious).

    My answers:

    1. Somewhere between lacto-ovo and vegan (still eat eggs and cheese, though seldomly)
    2. Road racer, category 3, mtb racing this summer, been a non-racing mtber for 5 years or so.
    3. Just a little over a year
    4. Mostly for the enviromental reasons and animal rights. Overall, don't really like meat that much and am not satisfied with the quality of it. Though the health benefits are debateable, I believe I am healthier since I went veggie.
    5. 135lbs, 5' 7", 20

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,994

    10,000 mountain lions can't be wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Gravity
    Just wondering how many veggies frequent this board. Answer these questions pleez...

    1. Vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian (still eat dairy)

    2. Racer or non-racer? (If racer, what level or category)

    3. Years as a veggie/vegan

    4. Reason's for becoming a veggie/vegan

    5. (Optional) Weight, height, age (just curious).

    My answers:

    1. Somewhere between lacto-ovo and vegan (still eat eggs and cheese, though seldomly)
    2. Road racer, category 3, mtb racing this summer, been a non-racing mtber for 5 years or so.
    3. Just a little over a year
    4. Mostly for the enviromental reasons and animal rights. Overall, don't really like meat that much and am not satisfied with the quality of it. Though the health benefits are debateable, I believe I am healthier since I went veggie.
    5. 135lbs, 5' 7", 20
    Eat mule deer

  3. #3
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,295

    Lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Eat mule deer
    thats was funny
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado

  4. #4
    Devil Mtn
    Reputation: reklar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    685
    1. Vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian (still eat dairy)

    Lacto-ovo--i love cheese and like milk (organic only) well enough to eat it on cereal, etc.

    2. Racer or non-racer? (If racer, what level or category)

    Just starting to race mtb and road...cat5/beginner...

    3. Years as a veggie/vegan

    4.5 years...when i first became vegetarian i gained some weight i think mostly due to a change in job (more sedentary) and that i wasn't careful to get enough protein so i felt more hungry than normal. Protein helps with satiety....

    4. Reason's for becoming a veggie/vegan

    Natural progression. Health reasons and environmental mostly--pretty convinced the beef and poultry industries are way out of control and underregulated. Too many antibiotics, growth hormone, grain fed beef, cattle standing in their own feces all day, chickens that live in such cramped conditions that they never touch the ground, etc. Also, never liked fish a whole lot.

    5. (Optional) Weight, height, age (just curious).

    175, 6'0", 31...

    My cholesterol is down 50 points since becoming vegetarian. Part of that is probably being more active, but...in general i definitely feel healthier too...In case you haven't seen it yet, check out organicathlete.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    55
    1.Lacto vegetarian but some fish for protein.
    2. Race mountain bikes, sport class
    3 Thirty years as a vegetarian
    4. Became a vegetarian for ethical reasons,animal rights (can rationalize eating fish)
    5. 190, 6'6", 50

  6. #6
    Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Reputation: Pucker Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    323
    1. Vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian (still eat dairy)

    I don't think of myself as vegetarian, as I still eat fish, cheese on my pizza, and milk in my coffee and on my cereal. Sorry, I'm not strong-willed enough to cut out everything.

    2. Racer or non-racer? (If racer, what level or category)

    Not a racer, just ride for the joy of it.

    3. Years as a veggie/vegan

    13, noting the disclaimer above.

    4. Reason's for becoming a veggie/vegan

    I got wicked food poisoning at the same time as I was on antibiotics for a flu or something. The antibiotics kill off all bacteria, including the good ones in your digestive tract. The bad chicken I ate gave me an intestinal infection that had me bleeding out my @ss for a week.

    It took me almost two weeks to get on solid food again. At the same time, my Mom, who's very health and environmentally concious, had been doing a lot of reading about the problems with a meat based diet.

    I read some of the material she was looking at, including "Diet For a New America" by John Robbins (son of Baskin-Robbins founder), and decided that I couldn't live with my conscience after learning what I did.

    Remember, I wasn't eating anything anyway, so once I started solid food again, I figured now's a good time to change. My reasons are health, ethical, and environmental. I'm not a radical, and I don't look down on anyone who still eats meat, but if you read Robbins' book, you might have a very different outlook on things.

    5. (Optional) Weight, height, age (just curious).

    About 140 lbs., 5' 11", going on 35.

    I know what you're thinking, damn he's thin! Yes, you're right. But it's the same weight I was before I changed my diet. I've always been skinny, and when I was pounding back 8 oz. steaks on an almost daily basis, it made no difference. It's just the way I am.

    To each, their own.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: colb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    45
    Guys, wonder if anyone could advise on how best to start on a vegetarian diet. This is something I have been keen to do for a while but concerns over protein intake and energy levels have stopped me taking the plunge...any websites etc.. worth looking at..

    Thanks
    Col

  8. #8
    Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Reputation: Pucker Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    323
    I'm sure there probably are some sites you could find for info on vegetarian diets, though I honestly have never been to any of them. Off the top of my head, PETA might have some stuff on their site that would help you, or some links to other sites on the subject.

    In my own experience, I found that meeting protein requirements is not nearly as difficult as some people make it out to be. And your energy requirements will be met by eating good carbs, which is no different than how you should be doing it now.

    Hey, I just had a quick look at the PETA site, and got this link.

    http://www.vegetarianstarterkit.com/

    Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide to do.

    Mike

  9. #9
    Devil Mtn
    Reputation: reklar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by colb
    Guys, wonder if anyone could advise on how best to start on a vegetarian diet. This is something I have been keen to do for a while but concerns over protein intake and energy levels have stopped me taking the plunge...any websites etc.. worth looking at..

    Thanks
    Col
    Here's a thread you might be interested in from the old RBR.

    Another book you might look at is Transition to Vegetarianism. Although it is the second edition some of the stuff is a bit outdated (only the preface is changed from the first edition). Overall, it's pretty good...there are some "out there" ideas but it's worth a look. I read it mostly after I had finished my transition but still got something out of it.

    Mostly I would recommend to do it slowly as a natural progression. I don't think that drastic diet changes are ever good all at once. They are harder to maintain that way and your health can suffer. That's mostly what is recommended in the book and he actually gives a plan for doing it.

    In general you will have a lot of people who won't understand why you would do it, a lot of disbelief that it is possible to be a decent athlete as a vegetarian, etc. Don't believe that hype. Just look at Dave Scott (5 time ironman winner), Hank Aaron, Bill Pearl (5 time Mr Universe) as examples of great athletes that have made it w/o meat...there are plenty of others too.

    Good luck, If you have more specific q's about what to eat, what types of foods are good sources of protein or meat subsititutes, etc., feel free to PM me or post here again.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: colb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    45
    Guys, thanks for the advice, I'll follow up on those links and see how I get on.

    Many Thanks
    Col

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8

    another veggie

    1. Almost vegan, but I don't obsess about it when eating away from home.

    2. Racer - expert.

    3. 5.5 years

    4. Mostly moral, but I think it's healthier for me too.

    5. 170 lbs, 6'2", 31 yrs

  12. #12
    No. Just No.
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,183

    Me too

    One more veghead to add to the list;

    1. Vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian (still eat dairy)

    lacto-ovo - I probably screw up every so often and eat cheeses that have rennet in them also. We buy rennet free cheese for our house but I don't get too picky about the rennet when eating out. I do ask about the base used for soups and gravy in restaurants though.

    2. Racer or non-racer? (If racer, what level or category)

    Vet Expert 30-39, also enter solo endurance races, 6hr, 8hr, etc. on a competitive basis

    3. Years as a veggie/vegan

    1.5 years. My wife had been a vegetarian for about 10 and didn't really care what I did (our young kids are NOT vegetarians - they can make up their own minds as they grow older) One day I talked myself into it though and went cold turkey. My meat consumption was already pretty sparse at about 1 serving per day so it wasn't a big deal. I did screw up on my first day though by accidentally by plopping a bite of chicken into my mouth without thinking while cleaning up the kids' dinner dishes.

    4. Reasons for becoming a veggie/vegan

    World has scarce resources and producing meat products takes huge amount of these resources compared to same resources invested in producing veggie food. Easy way to explain to others that your "saving the environment" without needing to get into the animal rights issues which can be contentious in certain company.

    5. (Optional) Weight, height, age (just curious).

    5'10", 145lbs, 34yrs old ; this has always been my weight (I consume massive amounts of desserts and other crap and it doesn't make any difference) didn't have any weight change or noticeable change in energy or performance levels. The building blocks of nutrition are carbs, protein, fat, minerals and other micronutrients. If you have a good mix of these it shouldn't matter whether it comes from meat or other. I take a multi vitamin, C, B, and E every day to round things out. If you're really concerned you could always ask your doctor to do a blood workup with your doctor a few months in to see if you're deficient in anything.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    260

    Pesco Vegetarian...

    1. Pesco Vegetarian (eat fish) but very little dairy

    2. Ride MTB and Road, rarely race (some 24 hr team or 50-100 mile solo stuff) just not genetically built for speed.

    3. 8 yrs Vegetarian, but hardly ate meat to begin with, don't miss it a bit. Its funny how carnivores always think they can tempt you with a hamburger (gross) or hotdog ( made from lips & a**holes) "No thanks, I 'll have a salad w/tofu."

    4. Health reasons: Salmonella, E-coli, Mad Cow...not to mention heart disease, obesity choleterol...

    5. I'm 5' 8" , 142 lbs 33 yrs old
    that rug really tied the room together.

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    256

    ... and if we just ... More than 1/2 my life!

    Lacto-ovo vegetarian

    Sport Racer (Vet Woman)

    19 years

    Ethical

    120 lbs, 5'5.5", 36 yrs

  15. #15

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    537
    I'm a semi-vegetarian I guess. I don't eat anything that once had a face. I still eat cheese, milk (a critical ingredient in cookies, ice cream, and cake, after all), eggs (see milk), etc. Just nothing an animal had to die for me to eat.

    Not a racer, but thinking about it.

    I only recently (in the last year) became one.

    My girlfriend is a vegetarian. I know, I know. That is not a "real" reason, but hey.... what can you do?

    225 lbs., 5'8", 31

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    28

    Vegan

    1. Vegan-- Always

    2. Non-Racer as of right now. There are some dirt crits in the summer I'm gonna check out, though

    3. The healthiest two years of my life

    4. Animal rights/health

    5. 155lbs, 6'1", 19
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    GMF
    GMF is offline
    Mmm... Tasty
    Reputation: GMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    700
    1) Ovo-Lacto... many of the above reasons regarding cookies and ice cream. A real weakness, but oh so yummy. I'm honestly not the hardest core, but i try to keep on the straight and narrow (it is amazing how many things have mono- and di-glycerides!!!)

    2) Non-racer... just been on my bike almost every day for the last 12 years.

    3) 4 years veggie.

    4) Veg reason... I personally can't kill things, so i don't want to pay others to do it.

    5) 160lbs, 6', 27 yrs. Pretty much been this size for a looooong time.

    ........

    On becoming vegetarian - if you know why you are doing it, the switch should be easy. Listen to your body's cravings (a plate of disgustingly salty french fries after a hard ride is still OK!, and a good bean and rice burrito is a tasty way to get that protein). Also, gain a general understanding of what foods do what (ie. spinach is high in iron... if you happen to feel kind of tired a lot).

    Just remember, its a good way to meet hippy chicks (who tend to ride bikes, btw), and you'll always have something to defen.... er.... talk about during lunch

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,868
    Quote Originally Posted by colb
    Guys, wonder if anyone could advise on how best to start on a vegetarian diet. This is something I have been keen to do for a while but concerns over protein intake and energy levels have stopped me taking the plunge...any websites etc.. worth looking at..

    Thanks
    Col
    I picked this post to respond to the thread in general, as I wanted to make a quick note eating meat in general.... Disclaimer up front: I am NO vegetarian!

    The meats I still do eat are from the local organic grocery (either The Marketplace or, sometimes, Whole Foods) are raised in what I would consider a humane and sustainable environment, without drugs, without torture and with room to move about. I would definately be a vegetarian had specialty stores not existed as I learned more and more about "Corporate Farming", where an animal is a "unit" of production, 'raised' in awful, unsanitary, toxic hell-holes that are environmental nightmares and where these "units" know no life except torture. hoemoe-sapien (had to laugh, **** showed up for "h-o-m-o") was never designed to eat grain or dairy, so he/she subsisted on meat, fruit, veggies, nuts & berries, and did quite well for most of mans history. The advent of modern farming and agriculture has totally changed our dietary profile. But that's a whole other conversation...

    Some vegetarians I've talked with (like my marathon running sister in law, vegetarian for about 12 years now...)are making the move back to meat in there diets (especially athletic folks) as the supply of proteins and healthy fats in the right meats/poultry and fish are very hard to replace with other sources. Not to mention the satiety factor. With the pressure from the market, though still small, for healthily raised, humanely treated, preservative free, meats and poultry, there are plenty of places to purchase such meats and meat/dairy products. This is of course related to the folks who are rightfully horrified by the nasty corporate farming, but not the folks who feel that a domestic cow or chicken should be set free or whatever..... as domestic animals would have no clue in "nature" and would likely perish. On that note, when asked if placed in the wild, would I hunt, skin, prepare and cook my own meat(s)? Yep. While not a hunter, as I think shooting animals for sport is stupid, I have helped slaughter, drain, and butcher a pig on a farm that was solely horse-powered, no electricity or gas engines! (yet another whole conversation). It was uncomfortable, but the family I was staying with relied on the products they produced for their subsistence, and for their income. Very cool. Total hippy type farm complete with the swimming pond (clothes optional) and so on..... Totally sustainable and healthy little corner on earth, with the BEST food I ever ate in my whole life! MMMMmmmm, homemade cherry soda, fresh smoked ham, fresh milk and eggs, fresh salad from the garden, and so on....

    Anyhow, my point being that there are options for those wanting to avoid meat produced by the big chains and the chemicals, drugs and torture associated with them.

    And in response to the "poll" info:

    34 Y.O. male
    6'-0"
    175 lbs (and dropping still, the LESS fruit and more veggies I eat, the better)
    expert MTBike racer, CAT 4 (soon to be 3) road (raced the last 2 years, ridden the last 30!)
    since I am not a vegetarian/vegan, years I've hyper-carefully watched what meats I've eaten: 4
    Reason: health and animal rights and disease(s)
    Last edited by glenzx; 05-24-2004 at 03:16 PM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  19. #19
    Devil Mtn
    Reputation: reklar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    The meats I still do eat are from the local organic grocery (either The Marketplace or, sometimes, Whole Foods) are raised in what I would consider a humane and sustainable environment, without drugs, without torture and with room to move about. I would definately be a vegetarian had specialty stores not existed as I learned more and more about "Corporate Farming", where an animal is a "unit" of production, 'raised' in awful, unsanitary, toxic hell-holes that are environmental nightmares and where these "units" know no life except torture. hoemoe-sapien (had to laugh, **** showed up for "h-o-m-o") was never designed to eat grain or dairy, so he/she subsisted on meat, fruit, veggies, nuts & berries, and did quite well for most of mans history. The advent of modern farming and agriculture has totally changed our dietary profile. But that's a whole other conversation...
    Interesting take. I'm not into it just for the humane treatment of animals though. It is also not sustainable for 6 billion people to be eating meat as their primary source of protein. It takes so much more in the way of resources to "harvest" 1lb of (say) beef as opposed to 1lb of beans it is ridiculous. And yet, garden burgers generally still cost more than ground beef! But anyway...yeah, I'm not totally against eating meat from a moral perspective and if I had to hunt in order to survive, i'd do it...but I'm doing great as a vegetarian, and I don't find it hard to get enough protein, etc.

    Still, I would have my doubts about so-called organic meat. I'd be very suspicious that the animals are not getting treated properly, but that's me...
    Last edited by reklar; 05-24-2004 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo

  20. #20
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,691
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    I picked this post to respond to the thread in general, as I wanted to make a quick note eating meat in general.... Disclaimer up front: I am NO vegetarian!

    The meats I still do eat are from the local organic grocery (either The Marketplace or, sometimes, Whole Foods) are raised in what I would consider a humane and sustainable environment, without drugs, without torture and with room to move about. I would definately be a vegetarian had specialty stores not existed as I learned more and more about "Corporate Farming", where an animal is a "unit" of production, 'raised' in awful, unsanitary, toxic hell-holes that are environmental nightmares and where these "units" know no life except torture. hoemoe-sapien (had to laugh, **** showed up for "h-o-m-o") was never designed to eat grain or dairy, so he/she subsisted on meat, fruit, veggies, nuts & berries, and did quite well for most of mans history. The advent of modern farming and agriculture has totally changed our dietary profile. But that's a whole other conversation...
    Your entire post is very interesting and resonates some of the things I think. I have never been a big meat eater but the meat I do eat is fully organic, chemical free, hormone free, and does not come from farming practices where its all about mass production and where animals are raised in deplorable and frankly disturbing conditions. On the same token I don't eat fast food meats or fast food at all really (except for the occasionally bag of fries from the local stores), eggs, or any product where I know or can make the safe assumption that the meat products have been produced using corporate farming techniques. I am fortunate to be in the position to eat a very large proportion of organic and chemical free, free range foods, that come from local farms around my home state of Tasmania, Australia. I am fairly certain that it is against agricultural laws in Australia to produce meats that have been treated with antibiotics etc, so I guess I feel fortunate that at this current time the meat I eat has come from good and reasonable farms and what not.

    I suppose I have contemplated becoming a vegetarian a number of times, and frankly it wouldn't really upset my diet too much, but I do fell and am yet to be convinced otherwise, that I would be disadvantaged to become vegetarian from a cycling standpoint as I feel I need a balanced diet that does include dairy and some meat foods.

    I just thought I would provide my two cents worth. Its interesting reading this poll. Perhaps I will add my name in the future to this if I am convinced otherwise about the benefits of vegetarianism.

    FWIW, 21YO, 155Lbs, Meat eater but an ethical one (I think) who enjoys vegetarian food a good bit.
    Trev!

  21. #21
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Pucker Factor
    1. Vegan or lacto-ovo vegetarian (still eat dairy)

    I don't think of myself as vegetarian, as I still eat fish, cheese on my pizza, and milk in my coffee and on my cereal. Sorry, I'm not strong-willed enough to cut out everything.

    2. Racer or non-racer? (If racer, what level or category)

    Not a racer, just ride for the joy of it.

    3. Years as a veggie/vegan

    13, noting the disclaimer above.

    4. Reason's for becoming a veggie/vegan

    I got wicked food poisoning at the same time as I was on antibiotics for a flu or something. The antibiotics kill off all bacteria, including the good ones in your digestive tract. The bad chicken I ate gave me an intestinal infection that had me bleeding out my @ss for a week.

    It took me almost two weeks to get on solid food again. At the same time, my Mom, who's very health and environmentally concious, had been doing a lot of reading about the problems with a meat based diet.

    I read some of the material she was looking at, including "Diet For a New America" by John Robbins (son of Baskin-Robbins founder), and decided that I couldn't live with my conscience after learning what I did.

    Remember, I wasn't eating anything anyway, so once I started solid food again, I figured now's a good time to change. My reasons are health, ethical, and environmental. I'm not a radical, and I don't look down on anyone who still eats meat, but if you read Robbins' book, you might have a very different outlook on things.

    5. (Optional) Weight, height, age (just curious).

    About 140 lbs., 5' 11", going on 35.

    I know what you're thinking, damn he's thin! Yes, you're right. But it's the same weight I was before I changed my diet. I've always been skinny, and when I was pounding back 8 oz. steaks on an almost daily basis, it made no difference. It's just the way I am.

    To each, their own.
    Another good book by John Robbins is The Food Revolution. I am not a vegetarian, but I do eat mostly a vegetarian diet. Agree with what Glenzx (sp) has to say about things as well. 46 yrs old, 180 lbs, 6'2". Non racer, just for fun and my own sanity.

  22. #22
    surly inbred
    Reputation: TroutBum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,537

    veg·e·tar·i·an :

    ~~~> Indian word for lousy hunter

  23. #23
    Gulpttub
    Reputation: Wooban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    31
    1. Lacto-ovo
    2. MTB, sport class. Road, Crash 5
    3. 4+ years going veg.
    4. I always answer this question with, "The more I learned about meat, the less I wanted to eat it."
    5. 155lbs 7%bf, 5'6", 27

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glenzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,868
    Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    It takes so much more in the way of resources to "harvest" 1lb of (say) beef as opposed to 1lb of beans it is ridiculous....
    Ah, but that is with corporate farmed/grain fed animals.... beef that has been raised "out on the prairie" so to speak does not suck down the vast hyper-rich grain diets that are so resource intensive. Gotta get that "unit" into "production" asap! Can the amount of beef that can be produced this way support the planet? Heck no! It'd cost more to buy a steak than it would to fill up yer SUV! If it were the case, beef prices that relfected what it cost to raise animals healthily & humanely, then when I wanted a bit of beef I'd gladly pay $20, $30, $50 a pound, as my wife and I do not eat all that much meat anyhow. Better yet, I'd rather get some Buffalo (available out here in NM) as it is far healthier and raised out on the ol' range. It's a 'treat' to get a really good cut of meat once in a while, marinade and grill it to perfection. Otherwise, turkey and fish (sustainably & healthily raised/caught and put to market) are the more regular meats on our plates...

    Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    Still, I would have my doubts about so-called organic meat. I'd be very suspicious that the animals are not getting treated properly, but that's me...
    Indeed there is a leap of faith. When I go to this store, The Marketplace, I can talk to the owner about the reputation of suppliers or the butcher about cooking and preparation tips. They represent that the products they sell are from a certain grower/farmer/producer and I'll have to take it on faith. Frankly, Santa Fe is so full of food snobs (myself included!) any monkey business like 're-badging' meat products would put them out of business quicker than quick, and that risk (and lack of integrity) is not one the owner(s) would bother taking. And I'd go so far to say that I can taste the difference! My wife and I made a 3lb (bought at The Marketplace) roast a while back that was the most mouth-watering, tender, delicious roast I'd ever had. You are right to be suspiciious when a large chain store puts an "organic/sustainble" section somewhere.... I wouldn't trust the Government/USDA ratings as much as a local knowledgeable professional in the business!


    Quote Originally Posted by wooban
    I always answer this question with, "The more I learned about meat, the less I wanted to eat it."
    Funny, the more I learn about different meats and health aspects, the more I feel it is best for me.... after 100's of 1,000's of years of mans omnivorvous eating habits, I am too weak to seek alternate methods, beating into submission DNA level cravings and will continue to follow my instincts (for now). When I am hungry for of meat/fish/etc... then reflect on my excercise levels/meals it's is almost always clear that it may have been a while since I last had meat/fish/etc....
    Last edited by glenzx; 05-26-2004 at 03:23 PM.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

  25. #25
    VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Reputation: vuduvgn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    1) Vegan
    2) Sport Class Mtb
    3) 8 years vegan, 6 months before that vegetarian
    4) I couldn't ignore what my body was telling me. Because of what I have learned since, I could never go back to eating animals.
    5) 150lbs, 5''10", 30yrs
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

Similar Threads

  1. monthly poll suggestions
    By FlatLander in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 01:34 PM
  2. Discuss MTBR Quick Poll: Norba XC National Champ?
    By gregg in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:27 AM
  3. Thursday Poll
    By lidarman in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:33 PM
  4. POLL: Downieville Gathering, yeay or nay?
    By Zonic Man in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 01-18-2004, 08:17 PM
  5. It's not Friday Poll...
    By george_da_trog in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 07:55 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.