mtbr member

Polar S720i Problem

Whenever I record an exercise, then download the data to the PC - There is always a discrepancy with the first three altitude samples. The first one is normally zero, the next one 2k to 3k ft and the third to fourth finally settles at the correct altitude of 6,400 or so (Colorado Springs). I have to manually error correct the first two to three samples EVERY time!
    Anyone have this problem? Know a fix for it? Polar hasn't responded - and I don't want to send the watch in and be without it for a month...
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Try acclimmitizing it

Altimeters usually work based on barometric pressure. It sounds like yours is adjusting after being brought from inside to outside?? Try taking it outside for 15 minutes before you start it, and see if that makes a difference. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Whenever I record an exercise, then download the data to the PC - There is always a discrepancy with the first three altitude samples. The first one is normally zero, the next one 2k to 3k ft and the third to fourth finally settles at the correct altitude of 6,400 or so (Colorado Springs). I have to manually error correct the first two to three samples EVERY time!
    Anyone have this problem? Know a fix for it? Polar hasn't responded - and I don't want to send the watch in and be without it for a month...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mine does not do that. Sounds strange. That would really mess up your accumulated climbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Clarification.....

I meant having it outside with the unit just in watch function so that it records the correct barometric pressure when it starts. It could be that the watch is being brought from a 'protected' environment (well sealed house etc.) to outside and is still making sense of the world when it is started.....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.

Here's a few more snippets of info for you:
    - The same thing happens regardless of where it's been before I ride. Sometimes on my wrist for several hours before a mid-day ride. Sometimes in my trunk in my gear bag since the last ride. Sometimes in the garage since the last ride, etc.

- Accumulated climbing stats do not change when I do the manual correction! I'll take a snapshot of what the chart looks like before and after correcting the data and post them as pics. The stats stay the same (accumulated climbing, etc.) I do the manual correction mainly so that the altitude profile of the ride looks right. Otherwise it starts at zero, ramps up to the starting altitude and almost looks like a flat line. When I change it manually - the profile actually appears like I've DONE something while I was riding.

A guy on another forum suggest that the software might be whacked - but the text output file (editable in notepad) shows the bogus data. I've STILL to hear from Polar after submitting two requests on-line.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

thats my red stapler
    Thanks for the input.

Here's a few more snippets of info for you:
    - The same thing happens regardless of where it's been before I ride. Sometimes on my wrist for several hours before a mid-day ride. Sometimes in my trunk in my gear bag since the last ride. Sometimes in the garage since the last ride, etc.

- Accumulated climbing stats do not change when I do the manual correction! I'll take a snapshot of what the chart looks like before and after correcting the data and post them as pics. The stats stay the same (accumulated climbing, etc.) I do the manual correction mainly so that the altitude profile of the ride looks right. Otherwise it starts at zero, ramps up to the starting altitude and almost looks like a flat line. When I change it manually - the profile actually appears like I've DONE something while I was riding.

A guy on another forum suggest that the software might be whacked - but the text output file (editable in notepad) shows the bogus data. I've STILL to hear from Polar after submitting two requests on-line.
    does the error add to your total climbing? if not then i wouldnt worry about it too much. altitude measured by pressure is not very accurate and needs to be recalibrated quite frequently. (sometimes several times on the same trip) especially if a storm moves in and the pressure drops...your altitude readings will be comepletely off.
    when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time

mtbr member
    It doesn't add or subtract from the total climbing. After I error correct it using the software - the total climbing stays the same. It's just a major annoyance because if I want to view the profile of the climbing/descending correctly, I've got to change it.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

thats my red stapler
    It doesn't add or subtract from the total climbing. After I error correct it using the software - the total climbing stays the same. It's just a major annoyance because if I want to view the profile of the climbing/descending correctly, I've got to change it.
    yup, i know exactly what you mean. what interval do you have it set at to take readings? i have mine set at 5s so that little blips in data dont usually affect the overall graph
    when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time

mtbr member
    I've got mine set on the 5 second sampling rate.
    GoatRidesBikes.com

mtbr member

Call Polar

I've got mine set on the 5 second sampling rate.
    I've had better reults calling their 800#, get the persons name and keep calling him or her till you get it fixed