Polar cadence sensor range?- Mtbr.com
    Bad Case of the Mondays

Polar cadence sensor range?

I've got a Polar 720, to which I just added the cadence sensor. However, despite the claimed range of 60-80cm (2ft to 2ft 8 inches) I can't get a reading unless I'm within about 15 inches of the sensor. I found a trick on Polar's website that increases the sensors range by switching a jumper, but still didn't increase the range enough.

So now it looks like my options are:
    1. Put the 720 in the middle of my top tube, which just seems wrong to me.
    2. No cadence
    3. Some other miracle.

Does anyone else have experience with this and if so, did you get enough range to actually mount your Polar on your wrist/handlebar? I've got an email into Polar, maybe my unit just isn't up to par.

mtbr member

725i cadence sensor works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Does anyone else have experience with this and if so, did you get enough range to actually mount your Polar on your wrist/handlebar? I've got an email into Polar, maybe my unit just isn't up to par.
    I run the cadence sensor and it seems to work just fine. I can't remember if I changed the jumpers, but I don't think so, I only did that on the speed sensor because I mounted it on the rear wheel. I have only used it in the garage, with the main computer mounted on the handle bar mount.. It should work fine. Are you perhaps trying it under power lines or something similar? Good luck!
    You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by nickv
    I run the cadence sensor and it seems to work just fine. I can't remember if I changed the jumpers, but I don't think so, I only did that on the speed sensor because I mounted it on the rear wheel. I have only used it in the garage, with the main computer mounted on the handle bar mount.. It should work fine. Are you perhaps trying it under power lines or something similar? Good luck!
    No, no power lines and I didn't eat any paint chips as a kid either...

Maybe mine is a bunk unit. I'm just frustrated that the manual says range of over 2ft in standard mode and I can't even get 2ft in the secret extended mode.

I'm waiting to hear back from Polar to see what they think about the range problems. Cadence is a nice to have, but I guess I can just ditch it if it doesn't work right.

mtbr member
    I'm waiting to hear back from Polar to see what they think about the range problems. Cadence is a nice to have, but I guess I can just ditch it if it doesn't work right.
    Cadence is really cool on the trainer. Not sure how much use it would be out in the real world. Especially on a Mountain Bike. I agree that it sounds like maybe your transmitter is defective.
    You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

mtbr member
    I have both a 720 and a 625 and on both receivers my cadence sensor works just fine. It's 29 inches away from the receivers and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. They are not even in line to each other, my receiver being on the right side of my handlebar, while my cadence sensor is on the left side of my seat tube.

I regret to say that your unit came faulty. Can you use the warranty service?
    "Why does this applied science, which saves work and makes life easier, bring us so little happiness? The simple answer runs: Because we have not yet learned to make sensible use of it."
    Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've got a Polar 720, to which I just added the cadence sensor. However, despite the claimed range of 60-80cm (2ft to 2ft 8 inches) I can't get a reading unless I'm within about 15 inches of the sensor. I found a trick on Polar's website that increases the sensors range by switching a jumper, but still didn't increase the range enough.

So now it looks like my options are:
    1. Put the 720 in the middle of my top tube, which just seems wrong to me.
    2. No cadence
    3. Some other miracle.

Probably just a weak battery. Who knows how long it sat in inventory before you got it. Still not your fault. Should be recitified by Polar.

Brian

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by dodo
    Probably just a weak battery. Who knows how long it sat in inventory before you got it. Still not your fault. Should be recitified by Polar.

Brian
    Actually this was my first thought. I went and bought a brand new Energizer replacement battery, but still it didn't work.

I got sporadic cadence readings yesterday on my ride with the Polar on my wrist, but somewhere on the ride I busted off the magnet from my crank thus ending my cadence. Unfortunately this is the 2nd magnet I've busted off. I'm beginning to think cadence just isn't a mountain bike thing.