Oy, my aching back & ******- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Oy, my aching back & ******

I think I have a groin pull and am wondering what I can do for prevention once I get to feeling better again. My back hurts off to the right of the base of my spine at the top of my pelvis extending down a few inches into my buttocks (one of my gluteals?), and then my right nard hurts and is hiked up a bit, so I'm guessing it's groin related. I've had 3 hernias but my last was when I was 7 years old, 30 years ago.

Right now before I workout (run or bike) I stretch...a lot. I'm pretty limber, can stick my palms on the ground from bending over at the waist without any strain . I try targeting my lower back and groin during stretching but all the groin stretches seem to target the inner thigh and I'm not having pain there. I still do the stretches of course but maybe the pull is just from over-straining.

I do lots of hamstring and quad stretches but for my groin and lower back I do:

butterfly
    lying on back knees to shoulders, chin to chest and hold
    standing legs apart lean from side to side for inner thigh
    seated, knee to chest for gluteals

Anything additional stretches or exercises, sage advice etc you guys can offer would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Idea! back exercises

Start doing some core (lower back and ab) exercises. I do extensions and "crunches" with an exercise ball and that really helps. If I should get a bout of lower back trouble (pain off to one side etc), I do some MacKenzie exercises (eg: lie face down and do a push up while keeping your pelvis stuck to the floor)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy
    I think I have a groin pull and am wondering what I can do for prevention once I get to feeling better again. My back hurts off to the right of the base of my spine at the top of my pelvis extending down a few inches into my buttocks (one of my gluteals?), and then my right nard hurts and is hiked up a bit, so I'm guessing it's groin related. I've had 3 hernias but my last was when I was 7 years old, 30 years ago.

Right now before I workout (run or bike) I stretch...a lot. I'm pretty limber, can stick my palms on the ground from bending over at the waist without any strain . I try targeting my lower back and groin during stretching but all the groin stretches seem to target the inner thigh and I'm not having pain there. I still do the stretches of course but maybe the pull is just from over-straining.

I do lots of hamstring and quad stretches but for my groin and lower back I do:

butterfly
    lying on back knees to shoulders, chin to chest and hold
    standing legs apart lean from side to side for inner thigh
    seated, knee to chest for gluteals

Anything additional stretches or exercises, sage advice etc you guys can offer would be appreciated.

With your symptoms and history I would consult a doctor.