Nutritional benefits of soy milk vs. cow's milk?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

New question here. Nutritional benefits of soy milk vs. cow's milk?

This is more of a nutrition thread, not a training or racing thread, so if you are not interested in that stuff please ignore.

I posted earlier on 100% natural smoothies, and a few people commented on my preference of soy milk vs. cow's milk, which has gotten me to reconsider the issues that made me switch in the first place. I've been interested in the debate for a long time (being a health freak and someone inclined to over-analyze what I eat), and about a year ago I thought I settled it once and for all (for myself anyway) and decided that soy milk was much better for you than cow's milk. I think the reasoning ended up something like:

(1) no cholesterol
    (2) no animal fats (linked to cancer, etc)
    (3) cow's milk supposedly prevents your body from correctly processing calcium and possibly other nutrients as well

However, I've recently found a lot more information bashing soy products in general, so now I'm confused as ever. For example this article seems to be well researched and lists a number of studies:

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/soydangers.html

It's been published a bunch of places, and cites a number of rather dangerous sounding attributes of soy products:

(1) lots of phytic acid which inhibits the uptake of essential minerals
    (2) trypsin and other growth inhibitors
    (3) contains estrogen

The third reason is I think the main reason soy products have utterly failed as infant formula since several studies have shown that babies weened on soy do not develop normally. I can attempt to find the articles if anyone is interested. Really the estrogen didn't bother me that much since I think other studies have shown that soy milk really doesn't contain that much of it and it won't affect you unless you are a baby. (1) and (2) are new to me. However, now I've read that there is evidence that soy consumption in asian countries has led to problems later in life specifically tied to the levels of estrogen.

I'm also struggling with the fact that nearly every article that discusses soy vs. cow's milk completely fails to realize that you cannot compare the two purely based on the "nutritional qualities" of both. Who cares how much calcium is in cow's milk if you piss 80% of it out? Who cares that soy milk is low in cholesterol if the 4mg of it in skim milk is actually good for you? It's really easy to reason about the health benefits of different foods by analyzing the nutritional qualities of them, and I think that is why people do it, but there is a great deal of evidence that studying foods this way is completely wrong. The biological mechanisms by which our bodies derive nutrients from food are less understood than most people assume.

Soo, if anyone is still reading, I'm wondering if there are studies that are published by neutral 3rd parties discussing the trade-offs of soy vs. cow's milk. This would seem to cut the natural bias that drives nearly every article I've read so far. I haven't been able to find any.

Second, does anyone know of definitive studies on skim milk? It would seem to me that cutting the animal fats would mitigate most if not all of the problems with cow's milk, but I have no idea how the industrial process of "skimming" the milk works. For all I know it could also denature many of the amino acids.

Any other comments on the debate? I'd love to discuss this with other health nuts.

Feb 2006
    It says the 2nd century BC chinese didnt eat unfermented soybeans due to high antinutrient content. (potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion) How could they know this? I'm calling BS on the article.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I don't drink animal milk, since no other mammal does after weening from the teat

You have lit a fuse. The forum monkeys will be throwing their quasi-educated feces at you and each other within...1 page.

1. The dairy and cattle industry controls a lot of the information out there.
    1.5. Cow milk is bad in several ways, not just the fats, but the proteins are too big for natural human digestion.
    2. Soy is bad in several ways (phytoestrogens, not estrogen), but not as bad as cow milk in some ways.

Drink Almond milk! Rice milk. WATER. Or drink a little bit of each.

For smoothies, I found cow milk to froth too easily. Soy or rice is much better.

I don't drink animal milk, since no other mammal does after weening from the teat.

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliusCecil
    It says the 2nd century BC chinese didnt eat unfermented soybeans due to high antinutrient content. (potent enzyme inhibitors that block the action of trypsin and other enzymes needed for protein digestion) How could they know this? I'm calling BS on the article.
    In the article's defense, I don't think the ancient Chinese needed to know anything about enzyme inhibitors to observe that eating soy made people sick, or whatever way they did figure out not to eat soy. What's understood, is that they used soy for crop rotation purposes, not for food.

Anyway, historically, cultures often "did the right thing" despite a lack of scientific understanding of the reasons they did.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scone
    In the article's defense, I don't think the ancient Chinese needed to know anything about enzyme inhibitors to observe that eating soy made people sick, or whatever way they did figure out not to eat soy. What's understood, is that they used soy for crop rotation purposes, not for food.

Anyway, historically, cultures often "did the right thing" despite a lack of scientific understanding of the reasons they did.

But it cites that as a reason why. Maybe it's just poorly written. Nonetheless, I'm a firm believer in listening to my body. Cow's milk fills me with mucus as do most animal products, but dairy is the worst. I dont like the taste of it, which is a plus. I've been on soy milk for about years now, and cant say I can put my finger on any adverse reactions. I drink less than a half gallon a week. I feel healthy as hell, althoug my intake consists largely of what I consider to be healthy, life giving foods. And even if it is toxic, so what. My overall lifestyle is healthy enough that some soy milk will probably not have much of an overall impact. I like it and I dont care what studies come out.

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliusCecil
    But it cites that as a reason why. Maybe it's just poorly written. Nonetheless, I'm a firm believer in listening to my body. Cow's milk fills me with mucus as do most animal products, but dairy is the worst. I dont like the taste of it, which is a plus. I've been on soy milk for about years now, and cant say I can put my finger on any adverse reactions. I drink less than a half gallon a week. I feel healthy as hell, althoug my intake consists largely of what I consider to be healthy, life giving foods. And even if it is toxic, so what. My overall lifestyle is healthy enough that some soy milk will probably not have much of an overall impact. I like it and I dont care what studies come out.
    Agreed, the article could have been proofed a little better. I had an issue with that sentence the first time I read it as well.

Anyway, I like the taste of soy milk as well (although I somewhat prefer the taste of skim milk) and I've been drinking it almost exclusively for about a year and haven't noticed any side effects myself. I probably drink a gallon a week.

As far as mucus production goes, you may have a slight dairy allergy. Technically mucus production is not tied to dairy consumption: "Milk Consumption Does Not Lead to Mucus Production or Occurrence of Asthma" by Brunello WŁthrich, et. al published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition. PM me if you want a copy, since I think you need a subscription to the journal if you want the article, which I have through my university. Also, "The milk-mucus belief: sensory analysis comparing cow's milk and a soy placebo" shows that soy milk and cow's milk are indistinguishable in terms of mucus production, at least for their subjects.

I've personally never had mucus issues with milk, even in high school when I was drinking close to a gallon a week of 2%. Then again, I used to drink milk for breakfast before cross country running races, which made a lot of the guys on the team puke up their guts. Never had an effect on me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I didn't know soy beans had udders??
    How do you milk a soybean??
    Soy milk= no such thing.
    LS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    You have lit a fuse. The forum monkeys will be throwing their quasi-educated feces at you and each other within...1 page.

[SNIP]

[SNIP]

I don't drink animal milk, since no other mammal does after weening from the teat.
    Good stuff, and agreed!

Soy milk - at least in my mind - is the equivalnt to, or actually IS industrial byproduct. Dairy - well, like grains and monotheism are relatively new-to-humans, and bad for you. Nevermind all the other nasty ADM/Nabisco/OtherAgriGiantFoodProcessors products!

Clean, wholesome, simple food our pre-agrarian ancestors ate are what we are engineered to run optimally on. Almond Milk is great - and made from a tree nut, which is GOOD.

And an occasional Coke! Mmmmmmm, corn syrup, coloring, carbonation.

That said - if you drink milk - drink whole milk, not the stripped down crap that lacks the appropriate quantity of fat to help temper the sugar hit...
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickety Split
    I didn't know soy beans had udders??
    How do you milk a soybean??
    Soy milk= no such thing.
    LS
    Let me guess, you are also opposed to wheels having nipples? Is it because you can't milk a wheel?

Nicely predicted! You are like a forum Nostradamus.

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    That said - if you drink milk - drink whole milk, not the stripped down crap that lacks the appropriate quantity of fat to help temper the sugar hit...
    Whole milk tastes the best for sure, but if you believe *any* of the arguments against cow's milk, you also have to believe that whole milk is the worst of the bunch (whole, 2%, 1% and skim).

It's about showing up.

I like cow's milk.

I like it as rich as possible but really don't need all the fat. I don't drink as much as I used to. I like it as a base for a bavarian chocolate protein drink I make with bananas and strawberries for a post-ride glycogen window food. It is nice and frothy, especially with the banana whipped in. I have it with oatmeal and fruit well before an AM ride or late at night with a cold cereal like chocolate frosted sugar bombs. That doesn't happen much anymore either but reliving childhood once in a while is so cool.
    I try not to overthink food and have generally killed people on the spot if they try and tell me how to eat because they know better.

mtbr member
    The 'estrogen' in soy milk is actually something else that mimics estrogen effects. The NIH has already ruled it safe for adult human consumption.

Don't EVER trust anything on the internet. Peer reviewed article only.

There is no such thing as an unhealthy food, just unhealthy portions.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scone
    Whole milk tastes the best for sure, but if you believe *any* of the arguments against cow's milk, you also have to believe that whole milk is the worst of the bunch (whole, 2%, 1% and skim).
    Not about taste, but about overwhelming your liver with an imbalance of sugar vs. fat vs. protein. It's related to why one can so easily overeat carbs - as w/out the fats/proteins that trigger the "satiated" mechanism, by the time carbs fill ya up - your already over-full.

In other words, full-fat prodcuts not only help you fill up quicker, but taste better too. Healthy full-fat foods, in moderation and combined with good veggies and clean, whole-grain carbs are better yet. Bottom line is it is really hard to over-eat good, full-fat and protein foods - as the natural reaction to overeating these foods is to vomit.

Anyhow, I'll take a full-fat 1/2 cup of yogurt and be far happier with that smallish portion than I'd be with a low or no fat yogurt in 2x or 3x the portion size! Calories-wise there the same. Less fat typically = more sugar too, alas.

As noted - moderation / portion control is damned important too.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Aug 2005

I always find this to be the silliest reason against milk. The reason no other animal does it is that no other animal has domesticated another species. I am pretty sure that if a wolf pack that could figure out how to get a constant source of protein and calories from the same cow day after day, they would. It's not that they wouldn't drink cow milk, it's just that they lack the observation and reasoning skills to do it.

CEB
    Who's riding today?
    Oat Milk with my honey nut cheerios....... yummy

Milk as brought to us by Bessie the cow is really for her babies.... .

No horse'n around

Feb 2006

1. The dairy and cattle industry controls a lot of the information out there.
    1.5. Cow milk is bad in several ways, not just the fats, but the proteins are too big for natural human digestion.
    2. Soy is bad in several ways (phytoestrogens, not estrogen), but not as bad as cow milk in some ways.

For smoothies, I found cow milk to froth too easily. Soy or rice is much better.

I've had the almond, one made form oats, and one from hazelnuts. I liked em all. Dont like rice milk though. Half gallon of water per day minimum. I only consume "milk" to wash down almond butter and fruit sammiches on the high fibre cardbread, and with cereals, generally post workout, or as an occasional midnight indulgence. Yeah indulgence, most people have ice cream, I'm stuck with that.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperjetcar
    I always find this to be the silliest reason against milk. The reason no other animal does it is that no other animal has domesticated another species. I am pretty sure that if a wolf pack that could figure out how to get a constant source of protein and calories from the same cow day after day, they would. It's not that they wouldn't drink cow milk, it's just that they lack the observation and reasoning skills to do it.
    Actually, if wolves had thumbs, then they would have domesticated cattle. And sheep. Good for you. Thanks for pointing out that wolves don't have reasoning capability, because that is what is being discussed here...but I will play.

I am pretty sure that if wolves found a way to drink cow milk all day, they would end up the size of cows. But, hold on, they wouldn't be super-wolves, but instead ballooned-wolves. Then they wouldn't be such fierce hunters, instead wallowing in their own fatty rolls and searching for honey to go with the milk. Then they would invent this series of tubes to call each other silly thru, so that they didn't have to get out and ride or fight. That is good since their mucus-induced asthma would keep them from killing effectively anyways.

Cow milk is designed (by nature) to feed cows and make them HUGE. I am a big fellow, but don't want to be the size of a cow, especially because I don't have the frame of one.

And remember, kiddos, that any HOMOGENIZATION is a BAD thing - boiling milk is elemental to destroying all evil-doers in there, but it also kills all the nutrients as well.

Goat's milk is more appropriate for the human race than cow's milk is. Think size here people.

And RAW MILK is the best if you are drinking animal milk, but good luck getting a hold of that.

Aug 2005
    Actually, if wolves had thumbs, then they would have domesticated cattle. And sheep. Good for you. Thanks for pointing out that wolves don't have reasoning capability, because that is what is being discussed here...but I will play.

I am pretty sure that if wolves found a way to drink cow milk all day, they would end up the size of cows. But, hold on, they wouldn't be super-wolves, but instead ballooned-wolves. Then they wouldn't be such fierce hunters, instead wallowing in their own fatty rolls and searching for honey to go with the milk. Then they would invent this series of tubes to call each other silly thru, so that they didn't have to get out and ride or fight. That is good since their mucus-induced asthma would keep them from killing effectively anyways.

Cow milk is designed (by nature) to feed cows and make them HUGE. I am a big fellow, but don't want to be the size of a cow, especially because I don't have the frame of one.

And remember, kiddos, that any HOMOGENIZATION is a BAD thing - boiling milk is elemental to destroying all evil-doers in there, but it also kills all the nutrients as well.

Goat's milk is more appropriate for the human race than cow's milk is. Think size here people.

And RAW MILK is the best if you are drinking animal milk, but good luck getting a hold of that.
    You went way beyond my statement. I very intentionally made no mention of the health issues regarding milk, only that using that we are the only species to drink milk as a reason not to drink it is, in my opinion, silly.

Also, I think you meant pasteurization, not homogenization. Pasteurization is heating to kill off various bacteria, homogenization is just forcing it through a very small screen at high pressure to allow the fats and liquids to bond better. All it does is keeps you from having to shake the milk fat back into solution each time you want a glass of milk.

As fas as size, that is really a matter of consumption amounts. If I were to drink it as my sole liquid, you may have a very valid point, and I would need to find a lower calorie milk to drink. However, I put about 1/2 a cup on my cereal in the morning and I use yogurt for smoothies, in those cases, I am actually looking for the calorie boost, since it is figured in to my caloric intake for the day.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You went way beyond my statement. I very intentionally made no mention of the health issues regarding milk, only that using that we are the only species to drink milk as a reason not to drink it is, in my opinion, silly.
    As silly as stating that if wolves were reasonable then they would domesticate cows?!

Also, I think you meant pasteurization, not homogenization. Pasteurization is heating to kill off various bacteria, homogenization is just forcing it through a very small screen at high pressure to allow the fats and liquids to bond better. All it does is keeps you from having to shake the milk fat back into solution each time you want a glass of milk.
    You are correct. I obviously had not had my coffee at that point.
    Thanks.

As fas as size, that is really a matter of consumption amounts. If I were to drink it as my sole liquid, you may have a very valid point, and I would need to find a lower calorie milk to drink. However, I put about 1/2 a cup on my cereal in the morning and I use yogurt for smoothies, in those cases, I am actually looking for the calorie boost, since it is figured in to my caloric intake for the day.
    It is indeed a function of quantity.
    Keep in mind the most common understanding of nutrition and intake comes from our government, who have instituted this gem that states:

EAT MORE DAIRY THAN EITHER FRUITS OR VEGETABLES. (3 cups vs. 2/2.5 respectively)

So, glad you only take in 1/2 a cup, but that is not the norm. You will not suffer the fate of most consumers, due to your understanding of nutrition.

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoses
    The 'estrogen' in soy milk is actually something else that mimics estrogen effects. The NIH has already ruled it safe for adult human consumption.

Don't EVER trust anything on the internet. Peer reviewed article only.

There is no such thing as an unhealthy food, just unhealthy portions.
    My mistake, it's not estrogen. It's phytoestrogen, which merely mimics it.

Also, I completely agree with you on both points, and it's part of the reason I started this thread. I was hoping someone out there knows of a couple of journal papers that discuss the issue. I've found some just poking around on google scholar, but they haven't been terribly helpful since none of them so far have targeted athletes of any kind (or even regular people) but instead focus on people with really high cholesterol, or babies, or other fringe cases. I know these studies must exist...

Aug 2006
    Pasteurization is heating to kill off various bacteria, homogenization is just forcing it through a very small screen at high pressure to allow the fats and liquids to bond better. All it does is keeps you from having to shake the milk fat back into solution each time you want a glass of milk
    Which brings up a lot of other points.

(1) Is pasteurization a good thing or a bad thing? The FDA seems to think that it's very necessary, and the only way you can even get at raw milk in the US these days is by participating in a "cow share" program where you technically own part of an actual cow. It's almost impossible to cut through the BS of the dairy industry...

(2) What about BGH, and IGF-1 (which apparently survives the pasteurization process) and is readily absorbed by your intestines... Now I drink organic milk only (soy, or cow, or otherwise) but it seems to me that if:

pumping a cow with cow hormones = ingesting insulin growth factor

then plain old organic cows milk will also have it's fair share of IGF-1 since cows naturally produce BGH, just not in the levels that the major diary producers like them to. I may be totally off base... is this wrong?

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Well a lot of the things humans do are silly.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Just curious what other animals drink almond milk, soy milk, .....milk?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Just curious what other animals drink almond milk, soy milk, .....milk?
    Human.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So, sorry scone, I cannot be of any real help. The best you can do is try and limit your intake of everything to moderate amounts. Moderation is key.

As for the research side of things, my family has been as confounded as yours by the BS and lack of transparency in the research funding and findings. Especially on the net, but also in the journals.

Good luck and stay healthy!

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    Would anybody be interested in me piping in on the ethics of consuming cow's milk?
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

It's about showing up.

Ethics of consuming cows milk? No. Not at all.

Cows are food and have better access to the hills behind my house than I do on my hardtail.

In some cultures a dog is food. I don't have a problem with that it just isn't my style. I don't have a problem with the fact that I couldn't eat something which I looked in the eye but 4H folks do it so it is a learned thing. I take that back; I have looked many a trout in the eye just before slitting it up the vent to it's gills and tossing it into the pan after throwing away it's milk.

I wouldn't have problems killing a cat wouldn't want to eat one. I think that there is a commandment, #15 on the lost set of tablets, I believe.

In some cultures horses are food and they also have better access to the hills behind my house than I do on my hardtail.

The French won't eat corn because pigs eat it and they won't eat pig food but will eat slimy frogs & slimy snails but you can eat just about anything with garlic butter on it. They also eat cute helpless little bunnies and all the Design/Art types think that the French are the bomb. Go figure.

Grandpa used to raise all his own goats, rabbits and chickens in West Berkeley. He used to kill rabbits and chickens with a quick twist of his wrist or a mexican chop (don't get me started on how the Japanese co-opted that move and called it a "judo" chop.) to the back of the neck. Gramma used to try to kill them and beat them and twisted all she could. It was a slow death. Grandpa wasn't more humane or ethical; he just didn't want to wait around for dinner. He did say, my dad said, that he felt sorry for the critters when grandma tried to kill them but also got a chuckle out of it. I think that killing animals for food is one of those things guys are hardwired for (though I've seen girls kill stuff but they are the same girls who become mountain bikers and that is a pretty small sample). There are vestages of this hardwiring which show themselves even in these days of Safeways and mail order beef (Honey! the Harris Ranch beef arrived. Light the 'Q!).

As society evolves we are finding less and less need for manskills. Sorry guys, you know it is true. We are becoming less and less necessary. All you have to do it look at advertising and see that women are getting all the focus. Soon they will have all the power but make no mistake they will screw up the world just as we have done but will do it their way. Think Hillary and Martha; lord love a duck. Think cat fights adn criticizing a poor match of shoes and bags. Anyhow even when that happens ther are two things hardwire-related where men are absolutely essential; killing spiders on the bedroom ceiling and barbequeing. There is a third thing but it isn't from our days as hunter-gatherers but later in our development as cultivators of the land. That is, men are good for mowing the lawn.

However, nowhere did we ever milk an almond or milk a soybean, most probably because they didn't have tits (grandpa's farm term) but if they did we probably would have been all over them. Coconuts are an exception for the most obvious of reasons; it is a primal thing. Oh! Oh! Oh! And where is the mighty hue and cry for all the baby coconuts who have to do without THEIR milk. Huh? Tell me that.

We are omnivores and predators and opportunistic foragers so we eat other animals. We sort of draw the line at cannibalism but eat "us" for ritual reasons except for the Donner Party. These days instead of eating people to take their power we just buy them out.

So, do I want to hear about the "ethics" of consuming cow's milk? Take a blue sky guess.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 10-04-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    Would anybody be interested in me piping in on the ethics of consuming cow's milk?
    I'd actually appreciate it if we left the ethics of drinking milk out of the discussion. This is really about the nutritional value of it, and I think a discussion of ethics would totally derail the thread. I would think that something like that belongs in it's own thread.

Berkeley Mike: Nicely done. I have one question though. You said you wouldn't have a problem killing a cat... but would you have a problem milking one?

It's about showing up.

It is a matter of having the right tools and some luck.

Due to the necessisities of gravity the animal would have to be above the collection container, a rediculously small bucket. Animal rights people, most notably the Cats-are-people-too cadre, would never allow the mechanical udder clamps used on cows. In order to avoid the inevitable scratching, heavy gloves would be required resulting in obscuring accces to the felines nipples causing more distress and mayhem. This woild lead to a self-protective reaction on my part hurling said beast at high velocity into a wall causing death.

Not a pretty picture.

Killing is the easy part.
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 10-04-2007 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd actually appreciate it if we left the ethics of drinking milk out of the discussion. This is really about the nutritional value of it, and I think a discussion of ethics would totally derail the thread. I would think that something like that belongs in it's own thread.
    Thanks for the refocus; by the time I got to the end of this thread, I couldn't remember what the topic was. Extremely entertaining!!

If you want a study comparing soy milk with cow's milk, you have to describe your desired outcomes? Nutritional value is extremely vague. Are you trying to enhance athletic performance, compare absorption of amino acids, reduce cardiovascular death, improve happiness, or balance the federal budget?

It is likely that the choice of soy or cow's milk alone will not significantly impact any specific outcome alone. Think of all of the other variables that could potentially negate the benefit of one over the other. Even major studies looking at thousands of people would likely only show a link and not a cause and effect.

My suggestion, is to enjoy life and your smoothies!

Due to the necessisities of gravity the animal would have to be above the collection container, a rediculously small bucket. Animal rights people, most notably the Cats-are-people-too cadre, would never allow the mechanical udder clamps used on cows. In order to avoid the inevitable scratching, heavy gloves would be required resulting in obscuring accces to the felines nipples causing more distress and mayhem. This woild lead to a self-protective reaction on my part hurling said beast at high velocity into a wall causing death.

Not a pretty picture.

Killing is the easy part.

I drink both, soy and cow's milk and I love them both. So, I'm getting both the benefit of one and the detriment of the other.
    It is difficult for some people to use the two words "too" and "to" appropriately.

"I had to go where I went, to get where I am. Any other path would have taken me elsewhere, and I may have missed the joy."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Cows are food and have better access to the hills behind my house than I do on my hardtail....

So, do I want to hear about the "ethics" of consuming cow's milk? Take a blue sky guess.
    I'm saving this post for a Grimy Nomination!

Good stuff 'Mike, and well said.

FWIW, I have looked ye beast(s) in the eye prior to their death, then helped slaughter & butcher 'em. Few delicacies compare to home made hardwood smoked ham.

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it, VuDuVgn! (JK)

I'm all for being against corporate farmed, poorly treated, drug addled 'meat' processed with salt and chemicals and trucked across the country / ocean (!).

Sustainably raised, well tended stock/fowl, or game - for human consumption is A-O-K in my book, and forced to do so, I'd happily hunt, kill, and slaughter whatever local animal(s) as needed for sustenance. Thankfully my local farmers market and local wholesome food stores stock the yummy, healthy, lean, nutritious meats I like to consume in moderation.

Anyhow, there's some good beta in this thread! And some silliness too.

I'm a unitard!
    So why did I stop coming to this forum? That's some good $hit.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I went home last night fearing that I had killed the thread. I've been known to do that before, it makes me sad.

The wife (vegan too) and I have really cut down on our soy intake. Pretty much the only soy is the Silk creamer in the coffee in the morn. We did have tofu with dinner last night, but that's rare nowadays.

I like rice milk in my shakes in the morning. I'm also a fan of rice protein in the shake as opposed to soy protein.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    We are omnivores and predators and opportunistic foragers so we eat other animals. We sort of draw the line at cannibalism but eat "us" for ritual reasons except for the Donner Party. These days instead of eating people to take their power we just buy them out.

Nice post, Mike! I could not have said it better.

Never trust a fart
    Hmmmm, all this talk about milk ............................

or this..............

mtbr member
    I have been drinking a half-gallon (or more) of skim milk a day for at least the past 12 years. I have also never broken a single bone. These things might be unrelated, but I really really love my milk. Am I going to die?
    Last edited by Glynis27; 10-08-2007 at 12:44 PM.

It's about showing up.

I hate to be the one to say this but...

Quote Originally Posted by Glynis27
    I have been drinking a half-gallon (or more) of skim milk a day for at least the past 12 years. I have also never broken a single bone. These things might be unrelated, but I really really love my milk. Am I going to die?
    Yes, Glynis, you are. In fact I propose a new Sticky with a pool on exactly when that will be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Has anyone ever tried milking an actual soy ? I think it would be a lot like gathering mothballs. You can drink the milk from a cow for many years but can only eat its meat one time. most nomadic peoples use their stock ( cattle,sheep,goats,horses,yaks,camels,riendeer) more for milk than for meat.

Members who have read this thread: 0