Numb toes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Numb toes

Aug 2006

Numb toes

ok heres the deal, I have been riding on and off for 3 years or so and have always had trouble with my toes going numb after a few minutes in the saddle.I try to stand every 10 minutes or so but this does not seem to make a big difference. If I get off my bike the numbness goes away but when I start to ride again it comes back faster. I ride clipless and my shoes are loose enough for me to slip them on and off without effort. Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 2006

I'm glad you posted this... thought it was just me!

Dude,

I've recently begun to have the same problem.

In this past weekend's race, I lost total feeling 1/2 way through.

When I finished, I had to almost fall off the bike because I no feeling in my feet.

What's up with that?

Aug 2006
    weired thing is that with me its only my toes, the rest of my feet and legs have no problem.

I love Pisgah
    Some might say its related to cleat placement. Could be. But I also think its just as much from heavy sustained pressure on the cranks for long periods of time(like a race or long climb)cutting off blood flow to a small degree. Takes awhile, but it adds up. Mine do the same thing sometimes if I let them. When it hits..I've found if I try to spin circles more, changing the load by pulling up hard for 15-20 cycles or whatever, moving the toes around, or while on descents I hang off the back of saddle to take the weight off my feet for those few seconds/minutes and even pull upward some to encourage circulation at the bottom of the foot. After these drills, it fades and goes away for the most part.
    Last edited by Duckman; 08-09-2006 at 08:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    most of the nerves of the feet are in the toes, when you put pressure on them they cant fire efficiently so they dont send the signal back to the brain. what worked for me is moving the cleat to a better position (everyone is different) and loostening the main collar and the front velcro on my shoe. try to spin by pulling more with your hammies and hip flexors when in the saddle too. just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    I too have this problem. What I've learned is it has less to do with my equipment than with technique. I've tried 3 different brands of shoes, several types of over the counter inserts, custom inserts and still I get the numbness. Also, I've tried many types of pedals and cleat positions systematically, and found that putting my cleat all the way back helps the most. Is this position the best for power, probably not, but at least it's more comfortable. If I relax my toes and spin it helps. I get the most numbness during races, especially during short track where it's balls out the whole time. Over the winter I also did lots of one legged spinning and it seemed to help. I think that my main problem is that my toes tense up and I mash big gears for long periods of time. Try spinning circles like said above and relax your toes, if you are miserable you may try an ortho doctor that may be able to get you fitted with some custom inserts to help, but that will cost some $$. Btw, I have narrow long feet with high arches, so I think there is more pressure on the front of my foot.
    You can't test courage cautiously.

-Annie Dillard

I'm a unitard!
    You might need to move your cleat position as some have mentioned. The ball of your foot should line up with the spindle of your pedal.

I get numbness even with that. It seems to happen more often with a stiffer soled shoe. I also notice, at least for me, it happens when I've become really fatigued or I bonk. Something about being tired makes me point my toes down more. The increased pressure on the front of the toes seems to make them start going numb.

Aug 2006
    thanks for all the great info. I am going to move my cleats today before my ride and will post if this helps. Also plan to work on circles.

Members who have read this thread: 0