mtbr member
    Jun 2011

No more Sworks tires?

I was looking to update my fastrak and renegade but sad to see no more Sworks. I was fine with that as maybe the thin Sworks of the past scared people off but then I saw only 60tpi casings? I have had great luck, in fact I have never flatted on an sworks casing before. And holy crap they got heavy.

I know this isnt the wheel and tire thread, not everyone races over there and wanted to keep on topic.

Enthusiast
    I noticed S-Works road tires, but no mountain. Is it possible that the 2Bliss designation conflicts, and that 2Bliss and S-Works at the same time are either not possible, or not something that Specialized's marketing wants?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    New ones are way too heavy. I switched to Schwalbe’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Epic

Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The new Spez's have great traction, terrible puncture resistance and terrible weight control (can differ 100-200g).

As a lover of Spez S-Works Renegade and FastTrack I have switched to Maxxis and Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The new ones are definitely heavier, more durable than the old Sworks in my experience, and definitely more traction. You can actually use the new Renegades as a front tire, I did all XCM season last year.

In 2.3 the Renegades and Fast Traks are 620-660g which isn't great, but lighter than the Vittorias I'm running now. Once I gave up on having sub 600g tires I found the new Vittoria rubber to be very fast rolling, durable, grippy, and felt good at 120tpi so I switched despite the weight penalty. My old worn out Fast Trak Sworks now reside on my beach cruiser, saved over 2 pounds LOL
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    The new ones are definitely heavier, more durable than the old Sworks in my experience, and definitely more traction. You can actually use the new Renegades as a front tire, I did all XCM season last year.

In 2.3 the Renegades and Fast Traks are 620-660g which isn't great, but lighter than the Vittorias I'm running now. Once I gave up on having sub 600g tires I found the new Vittoria rubber to be very fast rolling, durable, grippy, and felt good at 120tpi so I switched despite the weight penalty. My old worn out Fast Trak Sworks now reside on my beach cruiser, saved over 2 pounds LOL
    Which Vittoria tires are you running, Mezcal or Barzo, and what size?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Which Vittoria tires are you running, Mezcal or Barzo, and what size?
    I'm running the Barzo TNT 2.35 non Graphene, came in at ~710g for the front, and Mezcal 2.35 TNT G+ rear, came in at ~715g. Was running 2.25 Mezcals on the Top Fuel for most of XC season and they rolled great, just a little sketch when corners got loose and sandy. Had the Mezcal 2.35's on my Single Speed and liked it so put one on the back of the Top Fuel and bumped up to a Barzo for Endurance season. Grip is good, rolling resistance very similar to eachother, must be the compound cause the tread is much more aggressive. Only two 6hr races on the Barzo so far but no complaints.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for info pinkpowa! I'm thinking of going to a Mezcal 2.25 TNT G+ on the rear of my Scott Scale when my current Fast Trak 2.3 2bliss wears out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for info pinkpowa! I'm thinking of going to a Mezcal 2.25 TNT G+ on the rear of my Scott Scale when my current Fast Trak 2.3 2bliss wears out.
    Mezcals are great rear tires for me, roll better than the new Fast Traks and definitely more cornering grip. FWIW, my two 2.35's were 20g lighter than the two 2.25's, same level TNT/G+/etc. Talked to a local shop and they said they'd seen the same thing. Around here sand pits are common so a little extra volume helps.

Formerly of Kent
    Mezcals are great rear tires for me, roll better than the new Fast Traks and definitely more cornering grip. FWIW, my two 2.35's were 20g lighter than the two 2.25's, same level TNT/G+/etc. Talked to a local shop and they said they'd seen the same thing. Around here sand pits are common so a little extra volume helps.
    Where did you buy yours?

Seems to me that certain online shops get large volumes of tires from the same batch and they seem to have the same/similar weight across that batch. Then, I'll go into a LBS and pick up the one tire they have there and it weighs 50g more than the stated average.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd love to have a 2.35 Mezcal but the 2014 Scott Scale 910 frame is a little tight between the chainstays. The 2.3 Fast Trak is about the biggest I can run on the rear, so a 2.25 Mezcal it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Where did you buy yours?

Seems to me that certain online shops get large volumes of tires from the same batch and they seem to have the same/similar weight across that batch. Then, I'll go into a LBS and pick up the one tire they have there and it weighs 50g more than the stated average.
    I got all mine from my LBS, who orders direct from Vittoria. I spoke to another shop owner who confirmed my weight difference observations from his batch, also ordered direct from Vittoria.

mtbr member
    They probably didn't feel it was worth fielding cut sidewall complaints. Maybe even felt it was a liability.

I believe Conti also discontinued U.S. distribution of Race Sport tires...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Aspens it is I guess. I have 5 1.95 Renegades left, and a 2,2 fastrak. Doesnt hurt my feelings about Conti, my X Kings are the worst tires I have ever been on. My race kings are done (one of my faves aside from them being a little squirmy). Couple friends ae on aspens and they seem to hold up well.

mtbr member
    There is gripton sworks for 2018
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Did I miss them on the web sight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I see no S-Works Renegade or Fast Track on Specialized's USA website...just 2Bliss ready with Gripton.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

In 2.3 the Renegades and Fast Traks are 620-660g which isn't great,
    You are happy when they weight around 650g, the big problem with Gripton versions is that they differ a lot. Some of them 620, moat of them around 700g, even got a Renegade 2.3 that was around 750g. (Heavier than they claim the GRID veraion should be)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In the description for the 2bliss tires they reference the difference from the S Works version...so maybe S Works is coming back, otherwise why would they mention them?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    You are happy when they weight around 650g, the big problem with Gripton versions is that they differ a lot. Some of them 620, moat of them around 700g, even got a Renegade 2.3 that was around 750g. (Heavier than they claim the GRID veraion should be)
    I've heard that as well. Had several friends try the new Fast Traks and Renegades last year, and the quality control was pretty poor. 100g swings in weight, and corresponding durability swings as well.

I really liked Specialized tires because they're relatively cheap, easy to source on short notice, and last a long time for my use. Switched to Vittoria last fall and have had no complaints.

mtbr member
    I see no S-Works Renegade or Fast Track on Specialized's USA website...just 2Bliss ready with Gripton.
    They must have removed them. They were up for a bit no pictures. They were $85 Canadian vs the $55 for the controls.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    They must have removed them. They were up for a bit no pictures. They were $85 Canadian vs the $55 for the controls.
    They are up on the UK site...finally good tires from specy again

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    They are up on the UK site...finally good tires from specy again
    Hopefully good news to come for NA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

new gripton!

I just find last saturday this one !

29x2.1 gripton sworks.

No more Sworks tires?-gripton.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    S-Works renegade,fast trak and ground control!
    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/a...control-52324/

No more Sworks tires?-screen-shot-2018-05-19-08.02.38-750x745.jpg

Rides all the bikes!
    I'll have to remember that when I go looking for new tires.

Scandinavian
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Raikzz View Post
    S-Works renegade,fast trak and ground control!
    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/a...control-52324/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-Shot-2018-05-19-at-08.02.38-750x745.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1199599
    Where does Fast Trak place in this chart?

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The 2.3 Renegade is appealing. What's the sidewall protection like on these?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    The 2.3 Renegade is appealing. What's the sidewall protection like on these?
    There isn’t any, get the regular 60tpi version if you need more protection.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Where is that rolling resistance data from?
    2018 Epic

Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/specializ...e-line-for-xc/

Here's where i got that rolling resistance data.

Also seems S has their own branded tubeless sealant now

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I like how they are comparing S-works tires to Schwalbe's SnakeSkins and claiming they have a weight advantage.

Also a Renegade is a great tire, but it isn't in the same traction class as a Racing Ralph. So it's some definite pushing the bounds to make their stuff look better.

That said, I've always loved the Fast Trak and will probably grab a set.

It's funny how poorly the Ikons always test, but I find they are quick on actual dirt and corner great (esp the 2.35).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think I'm sticking with maxis this year. Seeing a lot of flats already on the specialized team

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I think I'm sticking with maxis this year. Seeing a lot of flats already on the specialized team
    The mess since moving to Gripton just continues. I have switched over from S-Works FastTrack 2.2 and Renagede to Racing Ralph, Ikon and Thunderburt.

Looking forward to the new Schwalbe tires. I just don't like to end the racing with puncture like I did on the new versions of Spez's