dmo
    mtbr member

New race bike: what else besides Oiz, Sniper..

So ive been racing on a Scott Spark RC900 for the past few seasons and i think im ready for something else for next season. I have the twinlock on my Scott that i like so was thinking maybe Orbea Oiz since it has a lockout as well. I like the geo on the Sniper too. I have a trail bike so this bike would just be used for races and some training rides. Anything else i should look at?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The bikes you named are hard to beat... maybe top fuel ..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Blur

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What do you expect to gain? A change in geometry or something? If you were on like a trek superfly and wanted updated geometry I could see upgrading but just getting a new bike to get a new bike doesn't make a lot of sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Sniper XC

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If I were shopping today, my list would be Oiz, Lux, and Spark RC. Enjoying my Top Fuel RSL today though, just wish it held 2 bottles. I'll probably look to get something new next season (2-3 years in this bike).
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I wonder if Trek and others realize how important 2 water bottles are to many of us? I also have a Top Fuel, and will sell it next year for something with 2 bottles. For a racetrack with people standing around handing out your bottles, 1 is fine, but for everyone else, especially people like me who have to use one bike for all kinds of things, long races, gravel races, whatever, 2 bottles is a serious help. I tried bolting one to my seatpost, that was awful. So the Cannondale, Oiz, Lux, and even Epic are all on my list, as is the Rocky Mountain Element.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork View Post
    I wonder if Trek and others realize how important 2 water bottles are to many of us? I also have a Top Fuel, and will sell it next year for something with 2 bottles. For a racetrack with people standing around handing out your bottles, 1 is fine, but for everyone else, especially people like me who have to use one bike for all kinds of things, long races, gravel races, whatever, 2 bottles is a serious help. I tried bolting one to my seatpost, that was awful. So the Cannondale, Oiz, Lux, and even Epic are all on my list, as is the Rocky Mountain Element.
    Thats true but i need a small frame which can only fit one bottle so i have to carry another in my jersey pocket.

Any small fs race bikes fit 2 bottles?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    So the Cannondale, Oiz, Lux, and even Epic are all on my list, as is the Rocky Mountain Element.
    I have an Epic and absolutely love it. The BRAIN takes a few weeks to fully adjust to, but, once you do, you'll never think about your suspension again.

Rides all the bikes!
    I can say that for descending, the Epic FS is ridiculously fast. I demoed one for a week, ran it down a popular shuttle trail and did an XC race on it.

I'm a strong descender, so I go with a HT though, so don't have a lot of XC FS experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Bottle in the jersey pocket has worked ok for me on longer races where it's 2hrs between stops, but yeah an extra cage would help massively. The only on the seatpost is ok, but never seemed to last too long with a full bottle when I'm smashing something plus the high center of gravity feels weird. I've got a bottle holder I put in the pits that'll hold 3 bottles for lap races so that's fine, but for longer lap races or point to point XCM stuff having 1 bottle cage is a problem. At least with the XL Top Fuel I can put a big bottle in there...

I think Trek would say for XCM you should be on a Procaliber, which has 2 cages. To me if I want a hardtail it's not a 1300g frame and I've already got a Top Fuel...

Rocky Mountain Element is heavy, almost as heavy as the SB100 building out in the 24-26# range. The Cannondale is a no go for me due to no solid dealer support here and proprietary suspension/wheel spacing. Same for the Epic plus I don't like paying $300+ a year for the privilege of having a Brain suspension. Oiz & Lux look good, especially the customization options with Orbea.

jms
    mtbr member
    If you can find a way to get a hold of one of these....

https://superiorbikes.eu/en/2018/mod...cite-turquoise
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I run the small camelback. My back is huge and this thing is tiny and does not create heat. I also enjoy passing people in the feed zone.

I absolutely love my Top fuel and ride it everywhere.

I would only ride an Epic if it were given to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would definitely not overlook the Sniper. I had an S-Works Epic, Tallboy II, and currently have an SB4.5 too. I also demoed the new Blur before deciding on the Sniper. I love the geo and suspension tune on the Sniper. I really like the 3 position shock vs. 2 position on the Blur, and multi-pivot design vs. the flex-stay of the Epic. The Sniper climbs as good or better than any of my previous XC bikes and is way more stable descending - perfect for marathon distance racing IMO. My Sniper is 21lbs 13oz with the dropper and pedals. Really enjoying it so far. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcjacob21 View Post
    I would definitely not overlook the Sniper. I had an S-Works Epic, Tallboy II, and currently have an SB4.5 too. I also demoed the new Blur before deciding on the Sniper. I love the geo and suspension tune on the Sniper. I really like the 3 position shock vs. 2 position on the Blur, and multi-pivot design vs. the flex-stay of the Epic. The Sniper climbs as good or better than any of my previous XC bikes and is way more stable descending - perfect for marathon distance racing IMO. My Sniper is 21lbs 13oz with the dropper and pedals. Really enjoying it so far. Good luck!

Sub 22lbs with a dropper is impressive. Makes me curious about the Sniper

jms
    mtbr member
    The often overlooked Giant Anthem
    My Favorite Peeps:

dmo
    mtbr member

Have you been racing the Sniper Xc or trail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    XC, 100mm travel front and rear. Loving it (and not sponsored by Intense)!

dmo
    mtbr member

Did you demo the trail version or consider putting a 120mm fork on the xc? Im not a huge fan of the fox 100mm fork

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How did you like it in your last XC race?

mtbr member
    Very happy with the Santa Cruz Blur X01 build (but swapped out SRAM brakes for XT). Bike weighs just under 23 lbs with 150mm Reverb Stealth dropper. 100mm is perfect - longer reach makes handling technical stuff easier. 2 position lockout is also perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you need a second water bottle I have seen a few racers run a king cage off a top cap mount. Doesn't pop out and easy to access. But...also consider a Canyon. Then have two water bottles in the triangle in a size small. The headset stop block thing is also good for a small sized frame as many have slammed stems and this prevents the bar or controls from banging the top tube. Ultralight version and one slightly heavier with a 110mm fork. Both types have droppers available and they offer rockshox or fox suspensions. Otherwise my Trek Procaliber though not a full suspension does soften the trail and has two water bottles in side the triangle.

dmo
    mtbr member

Ive narrowed the list down to the Sniper XC and Spesh Epic. My lbs sells specialized but there are no Intense dealers around me. Can you share more about the differences between the two? Which one do you think corners better and is better descending at speed?