New pedal recommendations- Mtbr.com
    Grip it and rip it.

New question here. New pedal recommendations

I'm looking at getting new pedals. I've been using Time for a few years but not happy with the way the cleats seem to engage at a different position on the bars on the pedals each time I clip in (changing my knee alignment slightly).
    I'd like something that feels solid and stiff but still has a bit of float. I'm more of an endurance guy than pure XC, but thought I'd ask here too.

Cheers!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    I've not been disappointed at all with Shimano XTR pedals, I swapped after having far too many issues with crank brothers. Solid engagement and while less float than CB, enough to not cause any knee issues.

AND- they make great mid-ride beer bottle openers

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    To my knowledge Time pedals are the only ones that offer real lateral float. All the others only angular float.

XTR and all other Shimano pedals are rock solid. I know people riding them for years through deepest mud without any issues. However, if they weren't so heavy. Really heavy. But this they share with Time.

For racing? CB eggbeater! What else. The newer models offer a more stable fit. Coupled with a metal plate on the shoe good power transmission. But probably still to loose for your liking. But ~100g lighter! And lots of angular float.

I don't know if you can get any valuable information here. Pedals are such a "personal" issue. I've probably tried all different pedals out there but in the end I came back to my eggbeaters on my race bikes and candys on my enduro fun bike.

EAT MORE GRIME
    imho

been using spuds since they were invented
    spent some time on times and cb eggbeaters, hated them both

spuds work, transfer power reliably, and they handle smashing into rocks constantly. ol'sparky never lets me down

downsides: yes there are lighter pedals if you need them
    yes, you need to perfect the mud-slap to clear the cleat after steppin in wet sand or mud and need to click back in. it becomes reflex after a while
    they will ice up in winter if you step in the wet, so just don't unclip in winter when those particular conditions exist. also pam spray

mtbr member
    With Times, if i clip in a few mm too close to the crank arm, i just do a wiggle with my foot (thank you float) and shift my foot sideways. No need to even unclip. I only wish my ATAC Aluim's and ROC's weighed less. Durablility, float, and no need for tension adjustments is a winner in my book.

mtbr member
    Shimano XTR

mtbr member

New pedal recommendations

There's not been a great deal of innovation in MTB clipless pedals over the last few years. It's still between Shimano SPD, Crankbrothers Eggbeaters and Time pedals, all of which you'll have your own views on already as they've been around for ages.

There's also the Speedplay Frog pedals and the assorted "SPD compatible" clones from other manufacturers.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-cro-mo-13421/

Of the "SPD Compatible" pedals there are some comments about the various lighter models here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...st-839848.html

The Speedplay Syzr pedal never seems to have been released. It's been seen at trade shows every now and then but that's it.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Speedpl...bike-2011.html

There's also the Mobius Infinity pedal which was on kickstarter a few months ago.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/03/07/...s-clipping-in/

mtbr member

This picture is from the Bikerumor site.

As part of the launch of the new Shimano "Enduro" shoes there's a shot of the underside of the SH-M200 shoe. The shoe itself is nothing special but if you look at the Shimano SPD cleat attached to the shoe it appears to be a new design:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/10...dration-packs/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9 View Post
    I've not been disappointed at all with Shimano XTR pedals, I swapped after having far too many issues with crank brothers. Solid engagement and while less float than CB, enough to not cause any knee issues.

AND- they make great mid-ride beer bottle openers
    Agree with this 1000x over, after destroying 6 pairs of CB pedals in 2.5 years I was done with them. I do realize light pedals need bearing greased and rebuilds on occasion but with CB it was excessive, left me stranded on rides too many times and did nt want it to happen during an endurace race so I jsut went to the old reliable shimano spd.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    This picture is from the Bikerumor site.

As part of the launch of the new Shimano "Enduro" shoes there's a shot of the underside of the SH-M200 shoe. The shoe itself is nothing special but if you look at the Shimano SPD cleat attached to the shoe it appears to be a new design:

Shimano Goes Enduro w/ New Trail Shoes & Hydration Packs

You sure that is not just a guard plate between the sole and the cleat?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member extraordinair
    A new design that allows it to be held in with one screw?
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

I like turtles
    Some places just aren't worth saving weight...pedals are one for me...Shimano is the standard..bullet proof. XTRs are ~308g.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Anything is better than Eggbeaters. I love the concept and stupid easy engagement in any weather condition. I don't love pedals breaking like they are made of glass. I don't care that CB will fix for free. Hard to ride a bike when your pedals are in the mail.

My CB Candy pedals have been bomb proof (CX Bike). Not sure why they last but my EB suck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I should highly recommend Xpedo M-FORCE 8 TI or some of the cheaper M-FORCE pedals. Coming from Time ATAC and then XTR (M980) these are best of both worlds:
    Lighter than both, better mud clearance and durability than XTR and great cleat/pedal interface with wider than XTR foot support.

Stefan

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    who cares about saving weight with CBs, rock hits make them un useable do you really think a hundred grams is going to slow yo9u down?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    My CB Candy pedals have been bomb proof (CX Bike). Not sure why they last but my EB suck.
    I know some people have had bad luck with CB Candy's but I've never had a problem in 10k+ miles of riding on them. That's just anecdotal experience though.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I know some people have had bad luck with CB Candy's but I've never had a problem in 10k+ miles of riding on them. That's just anecdotal experience though.
    some places I ride it is extremely common to smash rocks from timing errors or just too narrow...cb'eggs can get wrecked with this type of riding. but they last if you have finesse

mtbr member
    Look Keo! Just kidding. However I am really impressed with my new Keo Blade 2 Ti road pedals. They lock in super-tight. A lot of road pedals have excellent platform. Even the small Speedplay road pedals have better engagement with the shoe surface than the best XC pedals. The problem that XC riders have in getting better platform is not actually weight, but mud clearance. Therefore having a stiff carbon sole on the mountain bike is important.

I prefer Time ATAC. I have some Time DH4 pedals on my training bike that are fun clipped in or out.

The last time I rode Eggbeater 2 Tis was when I attempted a bunny hop, and due to wear on the titanium that cannot be adjusted for, it disengaged and my front wheel hit the log I was looking to jump. I flipped over the bars, with my bike landing on top of me (still connected to the other foot)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've had the same pair of time attacks for 8 years. I'm a cat 1 racer and they have been bashed on many, many rocks in that time. Easy engagement/disengagement. I'll never use anything else. Plus they look bad ass.

Before that I had shimanos and eggbeaters. No comparison.

mtbr member

Look have just released some new S-Track MTB pedals. You buy one pedal body and then there are interchangeable platforms that you can add or remove to the pedal depending upon what you're using them for that day.

They might be worth considering.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/28...w-sauser-cage/

mtbr member

Speedplay are showing another version of their Syzr MTB pedal at Interbike 2014.

This one has small rollers built into the cleat. There still isn't a set release date though:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/09/10/...eats-and-more/