mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Need to stop panting

My body doesn't get tired, but I can't stop panting. I try to breath in through the nose and out through puckered lips on a 2:3 ratio. No luck. I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't stop riding. This is on long climbs and after a seriously long and hard section of riding- all moutain biking. I don't have asthma, but I don't want sports induced asthma. How about some tips? I have been having this problem every ride- so far about 5 rides this season. I am riding from 2-3 hours, but am taking many, many breaks. Trails are mostly singletrack with minimal fire roads.
    Jason

i worship Mr T

you need to relax.

Quote Originally Posted by diiulio
    My body doesn't get tired, but I can't stop panting. I try to breath in through the nose and out through puckered lips on a 2:3 ratio. No luck. I feel like I'm gonna die if I don't stop riding. This is on long climbs and after a seriously long and hard section of riding- all moutain biking. I don't have asthma, but I don't want sports induced asthma. How about some tips? I have been having this problem every ride- so far about 5 rides this season. I am riding from 2-3 hours, but am taking many, many breaks. Trails are mostly singletrack with minimal fire roads.
    Jason
    i'm pretty sure you can't give youself exercise induced asthma unless you are predisposed to this condition. rather it sounds like you are so tense that you are on the verge of hyperventilating. i would suggest that you try to relax. i find that when i start to breath the way you are describing it is because i am really tense which doesn't allow me to take a deep breath. what i try to do is relax my shoulders - let them drop. or pick some other part of your body that you can identify as tense and then relax the muscles. you'll be surprised that the rest of your body will relax at the same time and you will be able to take deeper, slower breaths.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

almost there!

Good job! Sounds like you need to slow down...

If you go slower, I'm sure you would stop "panting". I used to go all out all the time on my bike rides, I guess because I felt I wasn't going fast enough. This can be a good thing, but you should only do it 3 times a week at the most.

What I mean is if you were to ride 5 times a week, 2 of them should be easy rides and 3 hard full intesity rides. Give your body time to recover from hard workouts, if necessary don't ride at all the next day. As well I personally find that if I don't ride the day before a race my legs and body will be fully charged and ready for the race.

Holding yourself back is just as important as going all out, just learn to know when.

Good luck and remember to have fun.

Complete Bastard
    I can't get enough air through my nose to breathe when riding hard so I breathe through my mouth. In races sometimes I'll hit the afrin before the start to give myself a little more room for air to pass but I'm pretty much a mouth breather when the going gets tough. Nasal passages too narrow or something. Maybe you could try breathing through your mouth?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

breathing

Jason
    breath in with your mouth, you can get much more air into your lungs that way, just inhaling with your nose limits intake, you want to get as much air in as possible.

I love Pisgah
    Breath in thru BOTH. This way your getting the needed volumn, plus the benefits of exposing the sinuses to oxygen is 2 fold. Breath out the mouth only.
    Last edited by Duckman; 04-30-2004 at 03:00 PM. Reason: can't spell

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cycle breathing

Jason
    i have found that i get into a cycle on climbs of two short breaths followed by one deep breath..i has helped me out in the past few years..

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Breath in thru BOTH. This way your getting the needed volumn, plus the benefits of exposing the sinuses to oxygen is 2 fold. Breath out the mouth only.
    Duck, why do you say only breathe out through the mouth? Just curious...

It's about showing up.

Open all vents

and breath. Mass quantities of air in and out. As swimmers we were taught to thrust our jaw forward to open the throat more. Also you might try to open your chest and shoulders with a wider bar.

I love Pisgah
    Because your otherwise exposing the sinuses to oxygen depleted (used up) air, that to me(and others)is deprimental to O2 intake. This is how I was taught to breath up high, say above 10,000' and above treeline, where the air is much thinner. Figure the same applies here IMHO.