Thread: Mid-race Ecaps?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Mid-race Ecaps?

Question for the guys using Ecaps during a race: How and when do you manage to take them? Where do you keep them for easy acess?

The Riddler
    for marathon races, 2 every hour, in jersey pocket
    xc only if really hot
    sometimes they'll explode in which case i just lick my fingers after sticking them in my pocket

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For an XC race, not overly hot, what would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing9689
    I would recommend that you go hard enough that you can't put pills in your mouth! Can people really do this? Man, i have a hard enough time getting gel down, let alone fidgeting around in a jersey for some tiny pills.

Seriously though, endurance races are a different story, but I really don't think there's any need to take pills during an XC type event of ~ 2 hours. Take them before if you must, and eat and drink properly before the race, and tope your reserves off with electolytes and gel.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    For endurance racing I use these really small zip lock bags (like 1" x 2"). My friends call them dimebags I put all my endurolytes and other pill stuff in these. I make up individual servings that I take once an hour and stuff them in my jersey pocket. When I'm ready to take one, I fish it out and pop bags contents in my mouth. I try and not seal the bag as I make them up but sometimes they do get sealed. In that case I just tear it open with my teeth.

I've done this now for 2 races and it works perfect. Much better than just putting everything in one big ziplock. You don't have to stop this way.

the original big ring
    I use a film cannister. I drilled a little hole in the top side of the cannister and one through the lid and attach them with a zip tie. That way I don't lose the cap and can open and close with one hand.

mtbr member
    I have a suggestion of what NOT to do...
    I thought that i would be smart and just empty the contents of the supplements into a gel flask, mix with a bit of water and then just down it at the appropriate time. It turned out to be the most gawd-awful tasting mixture that i have ever put in my mouth and nearly caused me to puke!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A few before and a few afterwards seems to do the trick. We use them on our 24's and hit 'em pre/post laps.

mtbr member

Heed or endurolytes powder

Quote Originally Posted by skiing9689
    For XC racing you could go with Hammer Heed as your drink and if you are really concerned about electrolytes, get the endurolite powder and mix it into your drink.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For XC races, I take two or three of the Hammer Nutrition version about 20 min. before the start. Heed in the water bag for the duration. That formula has proven to be golden for me, but I only race Sport time/distances.

I'm still trying to figure out the eating on longer races. I like the every couple of hours model someone mentioned earlier.

Members who have read this thread: 0