zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006

Last Min. Advice

Ive read all i can about prepareinga nd what not to do, and i made the descion today to race my first race ever on saturady

ive riden the course before but never at race pace

Should i go out there tonight and ride it hard or should i just chill out until race day (not hard atheltic efforts) and hope for the best

Im raceing First timer ( a rung lower than beginer) and the 1 lap race will be 5 miles at the most so there will probally not be all that much competion but ya never know.

Im taking this as seriously as i can but i do no formal training i just ride for fun and thought it would be cool to toss the hat into the ring, maybe i ll race this one race for a few years to test the waters
    Last edited by alm80; 05-10-2007 at 12:35 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your PAYING to ride five miles?

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    yep $5 whole dollars to cover the one day NORB junk no entry fee for first timers

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Let me tell you this, I always tell people to easy ride a course days before a race, even if it is 5 miles. Go out ride it easy and really learn the course. In the even that there is competition you want to know where to pass, where the climbs end and descents begin. Otherwise have fun and welcome to the world of racing. The next step is addiction.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    sounds good
    I will check out the course again, get some rest, and load up on some quality carbs, I should be good for this time trial like race.

I love Pisgah
    Thats a bargain considering one gets to race in a controlled environment, and otherwise ride as fast as possible for that distance without having to worry about on-coming traffic, hikers, dogs, etc. (hopefully).

If you can do an easy ride around the course now, do it.

Don't forget to warmup. The shorter the race, the more important the warmup.

Most important..have fun. Its a total blast to race.

Oh yeah..don't puke.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sh*t!
    I'm trying to remember my first race....oh wait! I remember now, it was at Mammoth Mt.
    Ahhhh.....the good old days......
    I like the promoters deal for first timers, hes kinda' like a pusher who will give you your first snort (do peole still snort? ) for REAL cheap!
    Good luck and let us know how you do.
    BTW Where is this race (City and State.)

Rick

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    the race is in a state park in the burbs of St Louis Missouri

cool course layout, 1/4 up hill, 1/4 rolling with multiple logovers, 1/4 downhill, and last qtr flat spirit for finish

The Turtle
    Just a couple more cents-worth...

I agree completely with jhhubb and Duckman about getting out there the day before the actual race and slow/moderately pre-riding the course. Even if you know the trail well, that last day's reminder of where the hills start, when you can recover, and when you can hit it hard really helps on race day! Also - the warming up thing. It's hard to talk yourself into really warming up before racing sometimes, but if you ride a mile or two at a moderate pace with a couple sprints thrown in here and there - you'll be really glad once the race starts. The biggest helper is to have your heart rate and breathing up to a point where you won't get shocked once the race starts!!

My experience in the field? Not too much. A mid-pack sport level rider who's still learning the ins and outs of racing...but the stuff mentioned by those two is definitely great info!!

Good luck in your race!! Be sure to let us know how it went!

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006

well i did it

my first race, 1 lap about 5ish miles had alot of fun, learned alot, and came in third outta 6 or so in my class. 1st was 3 min ahead of me and second only about 10-20 seconds ahead.

lesson s learned
    1 don't start to fast (second place passed me half way thru the race, probably cause i went to hard outa the gate)

2 Don't over hydrate i think i drank too much wawa over the last couple of days, and side cramped from it

3 Don't over do gels, it will cramp ya up

4 Don't smoke, dont start smoking and dont just smoke when your partying

And the most important lesson of all, know who's in your race i let a lady pass me, thinking she was in the womens race that left with us. Nope she was a first timer as well, i should have made her perform for the pas but i let her have it without extra effort.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Good for you.
    It takes some time, unless you are genetically gifted.
    When I first started racing over ten years ago, I was happy if I finished in the top half the field, but usually finished in the middle third (a nicer way of saying the bottom half). Over time I got stronger, and was usually good for the top 10-20% of the field. Two weeks ago I won my first race.
    I don't usually eat anything during a sport or open singlespeed race (usually about 15 miles around here).
    I have a sensible breakfast, and a couple hundred calories an hour or so before the race, and then just drink water during.
    I fuel up with a sandwich and recovery drink afterward.
    As I got stronger, and learned my body's capabilities, I found it works better for me to go out hard and get to the front... but you need to know how hard you can go before you blow!
    Keep at it and have some fun!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alm80
    And the most important lesson of all, know who's in your race i let a lady pass me, thinking she was in the womens race that left with us. Nope she was a first timer as well, i should have made her perform for the pas but i let her have it without extra effort.
    Just an FYI.... in the STL series, the level of sportsmanship is such that in Beginner classes (and I must assume first timer as well) we dont actively "block". It becomes pretty clear who is stronger on the trail and we generally yield to those stronger riders. There is more to be gained by trying to stick with a faster rider than by trying to make them "earn" the position and letting things stack up behind you. We talk during the race to make sure that passes do not slow up either rider and you never know, the person you let by today might be the same person who yields to you in the next race

I am certainly not trying to tell you how to race. just giving you some friendly advice to take or leave as you see fit. Hopefully we will see you at next race.

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    no i with ya Jo, blocking in lower level racing is uncool, but i could have waited till she asked, instead of offering it to her like i did.

its all good, and it was cool to meet you, i think i met you in the parking lot pre race
    (im the newb driving the white Mitsu)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alm80
    i think i met you in the parking lot pre race
    (im the newb driving the white Mitsu)
    right on man. That was me. hope you won some swag. see you at Matson!

Members who have read this thread: 0