that karma ran over someone's dogma: ride report [pics]- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    that karma ran over someone's dogma: ride report [pics]

    (cross-post from passion. hence the roadie comments)

    ok, this is a roadie post. sue me. my FS is out of commission and lying in a partially stripped heap on the floor waiting to go back to Dean for a new front triangle and my HT is out of commission as a result of racing for 2.5 hours in the rain & mud of Ducktown, TN last weekend (i've managed to replace the brake pads & brake cables but i still need to pull the bb and replace the shifter cables). so, what's a girl to do??!

    maybe, i should have just stayed home, mopped the floor & watched the Giro. but i didn't.

    i had taken the prior week completely off the bike. i desperately needed the rest. my bikes sat unused & unloved in the corner of the kitchen while i remembered what it was like before my entire live became an exercise in training. beer is good. i like beer. sitting on the couch is good too. i like that too.

    by saturday i was ready to ride again and i went out and did 3 hrs/50 miles easy. i felt great!

    sunday i woke up to discover that i'd crippled myself. seriously!! i got up to use the restroom in the morning, went to sit down and nearly screamed from the pain in my quads. i had to reach back and lower myself onto the toilet! where is that handicapped bar when you need it??? walking was painful and going down stairs was an exercise in torture.

    i knew i had to ride. only spinning would work out the gallons of lactic acid stored in my quads. our ride didn't get off to an auspicious start. we didn't manage to roll out until nearly 5:30pm and the sun that had been beating down all day long was fast disappearing behind a veil of dark clouds.

    we picked a 35 mile loop that promised to be flat and agreed to keep the pace easy. the clouds spit at us as we started to roll but we were not to be detered! we spun along and the ride was going well. about 1/2 way through the ride we picked up another rider, "Junior". it was nice to cruise along at about 18 mph in a paceline of 3 and my legs felt far better on the bike than they did off of it.

    we turned onto the back side of the loop, a 2 lane road which takes us through rural-ish farm land. off to our right the clouds were gathering and getting darker and darker. hmmmm. maybe we'll beat the rain. yeah right.

    Junior was pulling and suddenly yells back "OH! GROSS!!" up ahead is road kill. now, i've seen a lot of road kill in the 5 years i've been riding road. besides, i live in the south and i'm pretty sure the state animal for NC is flattened possum. here in Atl it seems to be inside-out squirrel. but this was road kill like i'd never seen. the animal was not even identifiable and it's parts were spread hither & yon. if you were into reading entrails this animal was an open book!

    we replied with a chorous of "EEEEEWWWW! NASTY!" and "UGH! DISGUSTING!", swung wide to avoid the worst of it, and rolled past.

    the ride continued with Junior still pulling, me in the middle, and EddieO bringing up the rear. maybe 2 miles later i look to my left an see 2 large dogs (a shepard and a black dog of indeterminate breed) sunning themselves at the end of a long driveway. I thought 'dogs. sleeping. how nice'. Then the shepard noticed us, flew to his feet, and lunged out into the road barking and running straight at us. I downshifted to start sprinting, and got out 'DOGS!!!' as a pickup crested the hill on the same side of the road and on a direct trajectory with the dog. I saw that split second where the dog saw the truck, hesitated, thought 'F**K!' and then *CRACK!!* (not 'wham', not 'whump', but 'crack' is the sound a pick up going about 55 mph makes when it hit a 70+ lb german shepard on a back road in GA). Junior missed the show but heard the noise, i saw the start of it, and EddieO saw the completion and aftermath. collectively we yelled "OHMYGOD!!" over and over.

    we slowed and discussed our options. my initial reaction was to go back. but what would we have done? who's to say if the black dog (which was no smaller than the shepard) was friendly? could we hike up the long drive to the house and say "hi, we just saw your dog get hit by a pick up?" more than likely three random sweaty stranger wearing lycra would get shot at in this part of the world. i don't know if the pick up stopped. i didn't hear any squeeling of brakes but maybe the driver stopped down the road a bit. all i can say is at least it was quick and painless for the dog.

    shaken we continued on. as we turned onto the last stretch of road (about 15 miles left) the dark cloud that had been looming over our right shoulders in the distance was suddenly directly ahead of us with an impressive light show starting and distant rumblings of thunder. we got closer and the light show went from sudden bright glows to jagged streaks. the rumblings took on distinctive loud thunder claps. the wind picked up, the temps dropped and the rain started. we were out in the open with not so much as an abandoned shack to take shelter in. our pace picked up from a leisurely 18 mph to closer to 23 mph. the lightening got closer and the thunder got louder. all i could think was, 'we're going to die!!' and 'i'm glad i'm shorter than everyone else!!' we must have rolled through close to the center of the storm because at one point the lightening was so close we could HEAR it. *SSSSSSSSSCRACK!!* and then BOOM!!

    i don't know about anyone else but i screamed and if i hadn't already been soaked to the bone i'd have probably needed to change my chamois!

    we hightailed it as fast as our tired legs would carry us but the rain, thunder & wind followed us all the way back to EddieO's garage.

    so, now i have 3 bikes out of commission, one dead dog on my conscience, and a pair of grey cycling sock that used to be white to remind me of what happens when you ride past road kill, see a dog get hit by a car, and finish your ride by time trialing through a violent thunderstorm.

    maybe couch training isn't such a bad idea.

    rt

    oh, and some cool pics from the Tour de Georgia time trial (fortunately for them the weather was better, they'd swept the course of road kill, and dogs were on leashes)...


    Jens Voigt


    Georgie Hincappie


    Cipo! (hating life. this was about mid-way up the 2-ish mile climb up Radio Hill Rd.)


    Lance

    and finally, the leader (at that time)

    Ivan Dominguez - showing every muscle you use in cycling!
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    197

    Great Post!

    I'm empathizing because I get freaked out by lightning when I'm riding my road bike. It seems I've had some very close calls. Out west it really freaked me out because you could see the lightning for such a long distance. Where I live the lightning has to be within a few miles to see the foks. It took a while to get used to it.
    Dogs.. I've seen some funny dog/bike stuff. Once a black mongrel was chasing along side of the road and ran head first right into a sign post. Not fatal so kind of funny. I also had an Amish dog come running down a hill so fast he totally overshot theroad and tumbled into a ditch. It seems dogs can become pretty singleminded when chasing.I also had a similar story to yours. A dog chasing us in North Carolina was too intent on the chase and not watching for trafiic. Of course it was a pickup. I get really mad at the owners of dogs when this happens. I know Rover doesn't understand me, but I try to reason with Rover and explain he's not gonna last long chasing bicycles. Lazy dogs really do live a lot longer.

  3. #3
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus
    I'm empathizing because I get freaked out by lightning when I'm riding my road bike. It seems I've had some very close calls. Out west it really freaked me out because you could see the lightning for such a long distance. Where I live the lightning has to be within a few miles to see the foks. It took a while to get used to it.
    Dogs.. I've seen some funny dog/bike stuff. Once a black mongrel was chasing along side of the road and ran head first right into a sign post. Not fatal so kind of funny. I also had an Amish dog come running down a hill so fast he totally overshot theroad and tumbled into a ditch. It seems dogs can become pretty singleminded when chasing.I also had a similar story to yours. A dog chasing us in North Carolina was too intent on the chase and not watching for trafiic. Of course it was a pickup. I get really mad at the owners of dogs when this happens. I know Rover doesn't understand me, but I try to reason with Rover and explain he's not gonna last long chasing bicycles. Lazy dogs really do live a lot longer.
    yeah, i'm not a big fan of lightening and that one strike that was so close we could hear it was just plain scary. i've been inside a house when lightening struck close enough to make the hair stand up on my arms (it hit a tree in the yard) but i've never been out riding that close to a lightening strike. the noise was LOUD! and then the thunder that followed was deafening. i can only imagine what the cars on the road were thinking when they saw us pedaling like mad!

    funny story about the dog hitting the sign post. hehehe. i've seen some near misses before but this was the first time i'd ever seen a dog get hit. it's sad that owners don't think their dog needs to be contained for it's own safety, and i feel terrible that this dog was someone's pet. there certainly is a lot to be said for lazy dogs!

    rt - my cat will last forever given how lazy she is!
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  4. #4
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,295

    rt rides like this build character...hum is

    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    yeah, i'm not a big fan of lightening and that one strike that was so close we could hear it was just plain scary. i've been inside a house when lightening struck close enough to make the hair stand up on my arms (it hit a tree in the yard) but i've never been out riding that close to a lightening strike. the noise was LOUD! and then the thunder that followed was deafening. i can only imagine what the cars on the road were thinking when they saw us pedaling like mad!

    funny story about the dog hitting the sign post. hehehe. i've seen some near misses before but this was the first time i'd ever seen a dog get hit. it's sad that owners don't think their dog needs to be contained for it's own safety, and i feel terrible that this dog was someone's pet. there certainly is a lot to be said for lazy dogs!

    rt - my cat will last forever given how lazy she is!
    funny the things you see when you are on the saddle. Two days ago in our point and back training ride, this a rural road(dirt) maybe two cars go by you in 3 hours and a few atvs. We are on our way back, there is this gentle crested right hand turn. I guess ricky racer on the honda accord was going a little to fast because he flew into the left side of the road , hitting the fence(barbwire) and getting kind of wedge between two trees.
    We just rode by as three people are standing there, wasnt a real accident unless my son and I had been comming the other way when the jackass hit the fence.

    But rt that kind of ride is the one that will make sure that you always finish a race or at least give it 110%. I read about a tour rider(cant recall who), that he was having a hell day almost dead last, pain the whole thing the support car stops he gets in as he looks out the window another struggling rider is going by and waves at him to comeback out to finish(no words) just a signal. He gets out and they ride together, no words were spoken and they just finish that stage humility.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado

  5. #5
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    great story!

    or, as my gymnastics coach used to say: 'Puts hair on your chest!!'
    'but coach, we don't want hair on our chests! we're girls!'

    oh well.

    Quote Originally Posted by moab63
    ... But rt that kind of ride is the one that will make sure that you always finish a race or at least give it 110%. I read about a tour rider(cant recall who), that he was having a hell day almost dead last, pain the whole thing the support car stops he gets in as he looks out the window another struggling rider is going by and waves at him to comeback out to finish(no words) just a signal. He gets out and they ride together, no words were spoken and they just finish that stage humility.

    odd thing is i've had much worse rides in terms of how i felt. this one just had lousy circumstances. still, i feel horrible about the dog.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    336
    There's a rural loop I do on my road bike - about 8 miles long so I do multiple ciruits. Last summer I was on the loop on my first lap and come by a house and see a dog with 3 puppies in the front yard. Beautiful site, especially given the dog had no desire to chase me. Second lap I come by and see two of the puppies dead on the side of the road and the mother dog and one surviving pup still in the front yard. Third lap I come by, the final pup walks into the road and gets run over right in front of me. I hate seeing that type of stuff. I don't think I've ridden that loop since. I really wish people would take better care of their pets. It was senseless to see 3 dogs die in an hour because they weren't kept out of the road.

  7. #7
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    OMG! that's awful!

    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal
    There's a rural loop I do on my road bike - about 8 miles long so I do multiple ciruits. Last summer I was on the loop on my first lap and come by a house and see a dog with 3 puppies in the front yard. Beautiful site, especially given the dog had no desire to chase me. Second lap I come by and see two of the puppies dead on the side of the road and the mother dog and one surviving pup still in the front yard. Third lap I come by, the final pup walks into the road and gets run over right in front of me. I hate seeing that type of stuff. I don't think I've ridden that loop since. I really wish people would take better care of their pets. It was senseless to see 3 dogs die in an hour because they weren't kept out of the road.
    wow. that's horrible. i think i would have just sat down in the road and cried!

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  8. #8
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,295

    Ok this one is not bicycle related, but is two wheels at

    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    wow. that's horrible. i think i would have just sat down in the road and cried!

    rt
    least. I guy I know hit a cow in the middle of the road doing about 50mph on his motorcycle, talk about a mess the guy was fine considering, the cow NO
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado

  9. #9
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    eeew!

    Quote Originally Posted by moab63
    least. I guy I know hit a cow in the middle of the road doing about 50mph on his motorcycle, talk about a mess the guy was fine considering, the cow NO
    yuck!

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  10. #10
    robust, yet smooth
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    473

    you think seeing it sucks

    try being the guy that hit that puppy.

    I was going to my inlaws - it's a twisty 2 lane then turn off to a tiny 1.5 lane to a formerly gravel road. nice drive (bad biking - no shoulder). and a young dog comes tearing out of a bend in the road at me. I swerve and usually that's enough for country dogs, but this pup was trying to earn a promotion. I broke his back, but didn't kill him. The house is empty and is usually empty - I guess you could say it's being renovated, in a very slow, very cheap sort of way. I take the pup to my mother in law, a tough as nails country woman, and she looks pup over. poor thing has a broken back and, thank god, must be in shock b/c it's not complaining much. but he's not coming back from this.

    sad story short, I took it to the country vet to pass gently unto that better place. I still hate driving by that bend, 7 years later. I get real ticked at country dogs "chasing cars". Someday, those dogs are going to get one. That's a terrible thing and it's the owners fault - the dogs don't understand our (twisted) rules, such as they are.

    And don't even get me started on how people drive in the country...

    thanks for yet another great post *rt*.

    -capt p

    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal
    There's a rural loop I do on my road bike - about 8 miles long so I do multiple ciruits. Last summer I was on the loop on my first lap and come by a house and see a dog with 3 puppies in the front yard. Beautiful site, especially given the dog had no desire to chase me. Second lap I come by and see two of the puppies dead on the side of the road and the mother dog and one surviving pup still in the front yard. Third lap I come by, the final pup walks into the road and gets run over right in front of me. I hate seeing that type of stuff. I don't think I've ridden that loop since. I really wish people would take better care of their pets. It was senseless to see 3 dogs die in an hour because they weren't kept out of the road.

  11. #11
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    wow. that sucks.

    the only thing i've ever hit with my car (aside from my neighbors' car....whoops!) was a bird that flew into my windshield. ironically it did the same thing the dog did just before it hit - there was that moment of hesitation where the bird realized that it wasn't in a good place and then *WHACK* right into my windshield. next i saw it was cartwheeling through the air behind my car. car: 1, bird: 0.

    at least you did the responsible thing and helped the dog rather than leave it lying there.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fritZman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    528
    Since I live in the country, I do lots of gravel training. If there's one thing I have to frequently deal with, it's loose farm dogs.

    After a year or so of getting the $hit scared out of myself, I decided to turn the tables. I own(ed) three Dobermans, so I know how good of a show they can put on to strangers and in reality be *very* sucky.

    Now when I see a dog coming out to chase me, I aim right for them and accelerate. If they don't move they're going to get an opportunity to feel just how stiff my shoe's sole is. I'll bet it hurts getting that in the chops at 25+ kph.

    A couple of times, they've come up behind me. I then stop, turn, and chase them. It works surprisingly well. It certainly shocks them when they're the ones getting chased. The good thing is that they remember and don't bother me again.

  13. #13
    robust, yet smooth
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    473

    I'm with fritZman

    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman
    Since I live in the country, I do lots of gravel training. If there's one thing I have to frequently deal with, it's loose farm dogs.

    After a year or so of getting the $hit scared out of myself, I decided to turn the tables. I own(ed) three Dobermans, so I know how good of a show they can put on to strangers and in reality be *very* sucky.

    Now when I see a dog coming out to chase me, I aim right for them and accelerate. If they don't move they're going to get an opportunity to feel just how stiff my shoe's sole is. I'll bet it hurts getting that in the chops at 25+ kph.

    A couple of times, they've come up behind me. I then stop, turn, and chase them. It works surprisingly well. It certainly shocks them when they're the ones getting chased. The good thing is that they remember and don't bother me again.
    dogs are great people, better than a lot of sub-people humans i've met. and i'll preface this with the old, some dogs can and will bite.

    that said, i've learned from my take-no-sh!t wife (daughter of my common sense mom-n-law) that when a dog approaches that you face them, stamp your foot and yell "git! go home!" (these are Southern dogs, you understand). I've not had too many problems.

    Oh yeah, squirt 'em with a water bottle will often stop the chase. And hey, with a light cage and a partially full small bottle, it weighs less that a full camelback!

    later,

    -capt p

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    163
    That picture looks like Bobby Jullich to me - not Jens Voigt.

    Here's a pic of Jens Voigt from the TDG TT


  15. #15
    i worship Mr T
    Reputation: *rt*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,543

    it is bobby julich...

    Quote Originally Posted by mattv2099
    That picture looks like Bobby Jullich to me - not Jens Voigt.

    Here's a pic of Jens Voigt from the TDG TT

    bad labeling on my part! doh.

    rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

    *rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Xyzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    43
    We get a lot of roadkill around here...


  17. #17
    XCdude
    Reputation: moab63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,295

    I know funny and sir that was funny

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy
    We get a lot of roadkill around here...

    he but at least he owns a cannondale
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:25 AM
  2. Have you ever flipped off a Hummer? (Shell Ridge ride report).
    By Finch Platte in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 10:43 PM
  3. AZSF04 Spring Fling Pre-Gathering Organization thread
    By AZ Mikey in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 06:15 PM
  4. Another boring first ride report....
    By Jaybo in forum Turner
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
  5. Saturday ride report....North Shore Style.
    By ebxtreme in forum Washington
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 08:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.