Johnson Chaffing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Johnson Chaffing

Yeah, it happens. Seems to be more typical of runners.

Anways, it happened to me after a long trainer session and it hurt like hell. Couldn't sleep, hurt all day at work, etc. Was thinking that I was suffering from Prostatis or an onset of a UTI. Was considering just selling all my $hit and giving up the sport. It hurt that bad.

But if it ever happens to you, it's easily cured. Just dab some thicker Chamois butter on affected areas before you ride, and it will heal pretty quick. 2-3 days and it's gone.

Anyone else ever have this happen??

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not to that extent but I switched race teams this year and we have Primal Wear bibs and the were a bit looser in "that" area and I had to make sure I got thing adjusted right or was it to the left.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hasnt happend to me during riding or running... but if you do quit. Dont sell your stuff, just donate it to me.

bi-winning
    I think the real take home message here is that you should not do long rides on the trainer.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    This happened once!
    Went on a training ride (road bike) and ran into this locale team racer he came up on me pretty fast and being the "show no weakness" type. Especially against a shaved leg, full kit wearing dude. I put it into high gear. but did not show it😁
    We talked small talk and he commented on my ride. 89 fuji royal 32lbs. With all stock parts inc. the downtube shifters. He asked if I am a mtbr. And I said "yes" He replied "oh.. That explains the visor on helmet and spd cleats".
    Any way. He Never dropped me and he was trying.
    It killed me! Got home and the sweat had gotten to the "neither region" adrenalin wore off and holly crap did it hurt!!!
    It was a hole worn through the skin on one of the boys. 😳
    Showed my wife and she freaked- out.
    Then sprayed it with durm-o plast which numbed it up nicely. 😄

Lesson learned. Take time to adjust your self. As know one else will.
    .....the end

mtbr member
    whats a good cream or whatever to use? I tried an anti chafe yesterday that came in like a deodorant stick type dispenser. It was super sticky, and really didnt do much for me. I do blame riding inside a little. I dont seem to have issues during the summer, outdoors.

mtbr member
    There are definitely some factors that make it worst

-Riding the trainer vs. rollers vs. outside. Outside is best, trainer is worst.
    -Bibs vs. regular short. Bibs are worst. Tighter shorts are better because it holds it in place. Need to reduce relative motion between short and skin.
    -Position. Need to put it in a position that keeps relative motion the least. To the side? Straight up? Straight up with bibs is bad news. (Looks like azpoolguy had similar experience)

As far as cream to use, I've been using Dr. Naylors Udder Balm.
    Dr. Naylor’s Udder Balm | Topical Medication

One of our local teams gave me a bunch of samples and it works pretty good as Chamois Cream. It's thicker, so stays on the skin better, and seems pretty compatible with private parts. (Used on cow udders, which is similar).

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dude that is not healthy.

You know you are sick in the head when you get saddle sores from riding your trainer too long.

You need some help.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    It's thicker, so stays on the skin better, and seems pretty compatible with private parts. (Used on cow udders, which is similar).
    That right there would be a humble brag. Anyone comparing their scrotum to a cow's udder is pushing the limits of metaphor or simile.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Dude that is not healthy.
    You know you are sick in the head
    You need some help.
    Yeah, that's what my therapist keeps telling me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    After trying everything else out there, Allison and I have found this stuff to work best for us...

Endur-It Chamois Anti-Chafe Cream
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Oh man the worst I had it was on a long road ride at freezing temps. The "region" went numb from a combination of saddle time and freezing temps and I couldn't feel that with every pedal stroke it was rubbing the stitching of the edge of the chamois. Got home and went to get in the shower, still couldn't feel it from the cold, and then I looked down and I was freaking bleeding.

I never go out without an extra dab of cream on the tip just in case. Man that stung...
    Husband - Dad - Bike Racer - Race Director

Clipped In Races

mtbr member
    I have to be careful of chaffing there. Haven't gotten it that bad. I hate the seam right down the middle of the front of the shorts. A little bit of cold and alignment is forced to rub on that seam.

Lately the cold thing is problematic. I need to form a peter wind block pannel to protect from belly button to scrot but not chafe.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Yeah, it happens. Seems to be more typical of runners.

Anways, it happened to me after a long trainer session and it hurt like hell. Couldn't sleep, hurt all day at work, etc. Was thinking that I was suffering from Prostatis or an onset of a UTI. Was considering just selling all my $hit and giving up the sport. It hurt that bad.

But if it ever happens to you, it's easily cured. Just dab some thicker Chamois butter on affected areas before you ride, and it will heal pretty quick. 2-3 days and it's gone.

Anyone else ever have this happen??
    Not so much on the my actual johnson itself but the perineum is unavoidable this time of year. Doing 4-5 trainer sessions a week has it's consequences, but also is a necessary evil here in Canada. I have found the higher RPM sessions are the ones that instigate the discomfort too.

Overall, I just suck it up and use some Chamois butter. I was not too comfortable hopping on the trainer this morning, and I am about a quarter of the way through a two hour session now. It's matter of HTFU or just don't train. The weather and my body don't do sub zero rides in our climate, so if I want to be reasonably race ready come sprilng, saddle sores, Chamois Butter, and the trainer are all good friends for the months of Nov-March. Getting outside will relieve some discomfort being able to not be sitting for such long periods.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    If you use lotion, no more than 3 strokes or you are considered to be in self-stimulation mode per le Sproquet Joquie.

While I've never had issue with my pickle, I have had nasty chafing on my nips. Duct tape was once rx for this.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use Sudocrem (nappy rash cream from the UK) - before and after long rides. Worked GREAT for our babies' diaper rashes, and seems to work for my own lycra-rashes as well!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Never had an issue with the Johnson and the kids before. Saddle sores in the usual neither regions of the bum and crotch are an issue early season when I'm getting my first long rides in. High quality bibs seem to work best for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintox50 View Post
    I never go out without an extra dab of cream on the tip just in case. Man that stung...
    I'm using the same exact program. I've been scared straight.

mtbr member

Brave Soldier's "Friction Zone"

I'm using the same exact program. I've been scared straight.
    Ditto. My preferred product is Brave Soldier's "Friction Zone". Other products (i.e. Beljum Budder, Chamois Butt'r) feel more like lotion that does not give a lasting protective layer. Check out the link - The best in my book for all of our specific "nether regions" issue.

Friction Zone - Brave Soldier Performance Skincare
    Team Topanga Creek Bicycles

mtbr member
    This happened to me last week. On the trainer for 2+ hard hours - after work, in the basement of our office building. With bibs. I was overheating so I let the suspenders down hoping it would help cool me off a bit. And it probably did, and I finished the workout and hit the showers and PAIN! Raw hamburger on the hot dog. I didn't feel it at all whilst riding. But I felt it for two days after every time I moved. Day 3 was better and I rode - with mucho chamois butter. I really think it was letting the suspenders down that caused the issue. Lesson learned.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

Giant Anthem
    Once and awhile I'll get a "sweat zit" or 2 down there between the sac and leg- this hurts as bad and sometimes worse than a hole in the skin.

I lube up with chamois butter and after I take a shower from a big ride I lube up with skin healing salve which prevents problems and soothes the whole area well.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0